LEGO Movie Teaser Trailer

Warner Brothers has released a two minute long teaser trailer for next year's The LEGO Movie. <a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lPnY2NjSjrg' target='offsite'>Go give it a watch</a> and let us know what you think in the Talkback. It looks very interesting, and I think I like the way they're doing things. Only a year left to go!View the full article

I'm impressed. I thought it would be more of the style of the Ninjago and Chima TV series, but while the stop motion isn't quite as smooth, it does have more of a LEGO feel to it, and not just minifigs in a CGI world.That, plus I already appreciate the humor. :P This will be interesting to watch. :music:

Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, good old stop-motion, and flipping BATMAN.

Black > everything except maybe very very dark grey.

That aside, I am worried about how audiences will react to the stop-motion and the use of Lego pieces to the extreme. I mean, the Lego laser blasts are awesome imo but will audiences think of it as cheaply made?

Then again, Chicken Run and Wallace & Gromit didn't bomb at the box-office either.

Undergoing Renovations...

Is this actually stopmation? I was reading elsewhere that this was GCI designed to look like stopmation.

Am I a lunatic?/I'm going crazy/

For just a word from/For just a touch from you...

We will now sing the BZP national anthem. (which I will leave to another to compose.)

So, the heart of Metru Nui is the Brain of Mata Nui?

Yeah, I'm back. PM me if you care.

IMO. The plot we got was lame, including licensed themes is a bad idea and stop motion ( or CGI mimicking such) is impractical and way to stiff for use in a feature film. But that trailer was awesome!

You think there could be at least 1 tiny small BIONICLE reference on this movie? It would be great!

There had better be! I'm hoping kahgarak.

It has Chris Pratt in the lead role and GOB as freaking Batman. I don't even care anymore, I'm watching it.

This guy knows what's up.

This guy knows that this guy knows what's up.I love the stop-motiony animation. Aardman Studios is a good comparison for both the animation and something of the sense of humor. Add to that an awesome voice cast and plenty of nods to Lego history (and the fact that they also realized sucker sticks can fit minifig hands), and I'm guaranteed to see this.

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

I'm sold on it. The pseudo-stop-motion animation (it's actually CGI) looks far better than expected, and, as insane as it is, the end result truly justifies the means. And I like how the liscensed minifigs (well, Batman, so far, at least) are parodies/ exaggerated versions of the ones from the original franchises, and it shows a level of sincerity and care on the part of the creators that makes this go beyond "Hey kids! Kids! Look, Batman!". And the visual gags, such as Michaelangelo retreating into his shell, are so well done. It's amazing how expressive the characters are, while still being limited to the real-life minifigs' range of movement.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

What is this sorcery? A link to the SITE WE CANNOT MENTION? Crazyness...

But this actually looks better than I thought it would.

I hope there are a couple BIONICLE characters in this.

There had better be.

totes gonna force friends to come see it with me

Same here.

I was reading elsewhere that this was GCI designed to look like stopmation.

I think that some parts are real stopmation, whereas others aren't.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Nice. I'm didn't really like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs but I'm excited for this movie. If there would be a Bionicle reference. I'd imagine it would be a Rahi rampaging in a city Godzilla style. Perhaps the Tahtorahk.

Though why don't people talk about The Adventures Of Clutch Powers. I really like that movie.

Edited by Takanuinuva

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

As a huge fan of LEGO, this movie seems really good! It's sorta cheesy, but I like the stopmotion style of animation (although I'm fairly sure that it's CGI made to look like stopmotion- it's been called CGI by several sources, but to put in effort so it looks like a home-made LEGO stopmotion thing is nice!) and it looks like it'll incorporate several parts of LEGO history! Overall I noticed Ninjago (green ninja), Space Police (lasers), Classic Space ("1980-something spaceman[...]"), and all sorts of licensed themes! All I can ask for is a good storyline and a BIONICLE reference :P

TLoMN_Po-Koro_Celebration.png

This looks great. I really hope there is a Bionicle reference in it. Like a Hau hanging on a wall in the background or maybe even an actual character appearing for 30 seconds. 2014 can't come soon enough.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

"Assembling 2014." Clever tagline. It honestly looks brilliant. I think it's got an unique enough style of animation/stopmotion (or is it very good CGI designed to look like stopmotion, as Kioshi suggested) that audiences will like it. Plus, it's LEGO - the reputation alone should make the novelty of the movie that much easier to accept if it does end up looking less ideal than the trailer makes it out to be.

Also wonder if LEGO Stores will have special events (maybe viewing events) at launch? One just opened in my city (Edmonton, Alberta) so that'd be awesome.

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

Well...

Pros:

-The fake stop-motion animation is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like a photograph. The characters move like real Lego bricks and have all these details like wear and dust, or impurities in the molds that suggests manufacturing, etc.

-This movie doesn't seem to be taking itself seriously at all, and thank god for that. Unlike, say, Chima, which appears to be deluded that it's some epic masterpiece when it's, in fact, terrible, this movie knows it's bad and is having fun with it.

-I anticipated the humor to be far worse.

-Talented cast

Cons:

-Pop culture references. It was already one huge commercial before, so all these stupid references to things outside of Lego make it even more annoying. Not only that, but this movie seems to be relying way too heavily on the references to carry the movie. Morgan Freeman's whole speech was essentially one big string of random, pointless references to various properties. There doesn't seem to be a whole ton of substance to the movie...

-...because the jokes are no good, either. They're not cringe-inducing, ala some of the humor attempts in the Bionicle movies, but they're really just not funny, at all. Not only that, but you'd assume they'd save their best material for the trailers, so I can only imagine how unfunny the rest of the movie will be. Unless they do the unexpected and go for something poignant... probably not, based on the tone they've set.

-Too much emphasis on minifigures. This is just based on the trailer, so maybe things will be different in the actual movie, but there are too many minifigures taking the spotlight and not enough of the actual Lego bricks, the medium for everything. Having a movie about Legos be about human-like characters seems kind of too easy, almost like it could have been done without the Lego aspect.

-The cast still seems woefully out of place in a movie about Legos, with the roles that they're playing. Maybe I'll be surprised.

-The music is kind of bad. It's fine, I guess, but hopefully it's not indicative of the entire score.

Also, there's an international trailer out as well, with some different footage.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I can say that this trailer honestly made me giddy for this movie. The cinematography looks gorgeous, the voice acting talents are superb, the subtle things are great (anyone notice that 80s something space guy's helmet is cracked?), and the movie just generally looks like fun. The same fun we all had as kids, playing with Legos and making up our own cheesy stories. That's just too much nostalgia for me to have any doubts about this movie.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Colour me impressed with a shade of wowsers!I'm sold on this. Yes, it's going to be as cheesey as a Mouse family playing monopoly but even so I like the self-parody it's going for. I'd agree we need some bionicle reference, more than anything else I want them to acknowledge Lego Island in some way. It feels like ever since Xtreme Stunts they've just forgotten all about it. I'm not saying put everyone in but if we've got Batman and the Avengers and even a classic space pilot, why not Pepper Roni or the brickster, or even the Informaniac? I'd jump for joy seeing them.Plus, I think the best thign about this is probably...well, it's exactly what you'd expect from a lego movie isn't it? Referencing its sets, creative use of the bricks, and Lego humour. I look forward to it undoubtedly. As for how audiences will react, well let's face it - audiences are picky. But I don't care, anyone who has seen a brickfilm before will know what to expect.

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters:
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics) SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth) MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)

Morgan Freeman's whole speech was essentially one big string of random, pointless references to various properties. There doesn't seem to be a whole ton of substance to the movie...

-...because the jokes are no good, either. They're not cringe-inducing, ala some of the humor attempts in the Bionicle movies, but they're really just not funny, at all. Not only that, but you'd assume they'd save their best material for the trailers, so I can only imagine how unfunny the rest of the movie will be. Unless they do the unexpected and go for something poignant... probably not, based on the tone they've set.

-Too much emphasis on minifigures. This is just based on the trailer, so maybe things will be different in the actual movie, but there are too many minifigures taking the spotlight and not enough of the actual Lego bricks, the medium for everything. Having a movie about Legos be about human-like characters seems kind of too easy, almost like it could have been done without the Lego aspect.

-The cast still seems woefully out of place in a movie about Legos, with the roles that they're playing. Maybe I'll be surprised.

-The music is kind of bad. It's fine, I guess, but hopefully it's not indicative of the entire score.

1) That speech was too make people go 'OH I REMEMBER THAT LEGO I HAVE HIM'.

2) The jokes aren't that awful. I think Emmett being a slacker is great.

3) Well, what are you expecting? It'd be boring if the trailer just had people building Legos the whole time. How are bricks supposed to even 'take the spotlight' away from minifigs? I don't get it.

4) The trailer music is ALMOST NEVER the music used in the film.

I spotted Johnny Thunder! :D Seriously, Dash from Alpha Team so needs to be in this one. :PIt looks kind of cheesy but it will surely leave a legacy for the animation style. Everyone I know thought it was stop-motion. :D I also look forward to the all the countless nods and allusions to previous LEGO themes only the fans will understand. :P-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

More BZPower hypocrisy by having ###### links in news articles...

There is no denying that BZPower's advertising policy needs an update. It is a concern that has been voiced many times in this Tracker ticket. As Black Six has responded, things have come along pretty far; we are waiting on only one thing. So, expect a change. In the meantime, I encourage you to go and read through the responses in the ticket I linked and add your own thoughts if you feel like doing so. I know Black Six has made the offer of PMing him with questions to people who have made similar comments in talkback topics, and I am sure the offer still stands.