MNOG or MNOG 2....

Hexann

Probably MNOG II, since the villages seemed to be so much bigger, and there were more villagers. Ga-Koro was basically like 7 huts in the first one, then it was like a small town in MNOG II.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I feel outside of the Koros MNOG was perfect. In the Koros, I've felt neither game was really big enough. MNOG in particular did not have enough huts to accommodate all the matoran you see. MNOG 2 looked bigger, but at the same time there seemed less matoran, because everybody was named, there were no background characters at all.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

MNOG II had more versatility and options for movement, but it was INCREDIBLY HARD to get out of that ice-drift.

MNOG I had SO much nostalgia in it, it's art was simple, yet pleasing to the eye. The story was great, and the actions and games were hard, but easy enough to figure out, whereas MNOG II jumped from level 2 to level 10.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

MNOLG, undoubtedly. The scenery, action, characters, music and mystery were simply brilliant. I grant it could've been longer with more to see and do outside of the important areas, but that could only have been achieved under ideal circumstances.

MNOLG2 suffered greatly from the lack of any real plot or tension, the tedious chores/item making and the difficult to win Kolhii matches. Most of the dialogue was very dull. I also didn't like having all the Matoran named; I don't know why but I feel that lost a lot of atmosphere. The whole thing just wasn't very well planned or executed.

Both, for different reasons: In MNOG, I felt that the feel of the koros were portrayed better, while inMNOG 2, I felt that it better showed the size and population of the koros.

This all the way. MNOG reinforced a feeling of mystery and exploration; MNOG 2 reminded you that living on a remote tropical island is a lot of work and really isn't glamorous.

MNOLG2 suffered greatly from the lack of any real plot or tension, the tedious chores/item making and the difficult to win Kolhii matches. Most of the dialogue was very dull. I also didn't like having all the Matoran named; I don't know why but I feel that lost a lot of atmosphere. The whole thing just wasn't very well planned or executed.

MNOG reinforced a feeling of mystery and exploration; MNOG 2 reminded you that living on a remote tropical island is a lot of work and really isn't glamorous.

Your statements on MNOG2 have allowed me to realize that the game was design to let you feel like a somewhat average Matoran.

Man, their lives sucked.

I think MNOG, not just because the gameplay was better, but because the first-person perspective made the whole thing more immersive. It felt like YOU were actually exploring the island, and less like you were just playing a game.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I agree that MNOLG II was lacking in a lot of things. It offered some good scenery, but nothing that the original hadn't really already shown us, and the lack of a decent plot was also a big problem. But something I realize that bugs me about the MNOLG II: no Toa. No Rahkshi (except for one brief scene). Not even that many Rahi. The only antagonists were the opposing teams. So really, it was wandering around and only seeing Matoran... and then you realized that they never actually released Le-Matoran or Onu-Matoran in 2003, so you couldn't even recreate them. :PBut a fundamental part of the original MNOLG was the Toa and other sets. You'd wander around a village, and most of it was with Matoran and such, but then the climax of each location consisted of an appearance of a Toa and the Rahi they were battling. From a product standpoint, those are the sets they want to sell, and the MNOLG II didn't have them in any cutscenes or anything. Yes, I love the original MNOLG because it focuses mostly on the Matoran, but it needs to include a little interaction between them and their Toa too, right? :music:

Another thing I noticed: When you ask Nokama "Who am I?" in MNOG, she gives a kind of inspiring response about finding your own destiny. When you ask Amaya the same thing in MNOG II, it's just, "Oh, you're Hahli. You make flax."

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Another thing I noticed: When you ask Nokama "Who am I?" in MNOG, she gives a kind of inspiring response about finding your own destiny. When you ask Amaya the same thing in MNOG II, it's just, "Oh, you're Hahli. You make flax."

Maybe that's because Hahli and Amaya are good friends and Amaya thinks that Hahli is kidding. If I were Amaya, I would think that Hahli would be joking.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Maybe that's because Hahli and Amaya are good friends and Amaya thinks that Hahli is kidding. If I were Amaya, I would think that Hahli would be joking.

I think he's using this to make a point about the different tones of the games. MNOLG is mystical and intriguing, MNOLG 2 is simple, bare and mundane.

I think he's using this to make a point about the different tones of the games. MNOLG is mystical and intriguing, MNOLG 2 is simple, bare and mundane.

But still. Nokama somewhat knew what happened to Takua, Amaya didn't know what happened to Hahli.

It really depends on which parts you're asking about.

For example, MNOG's portrayal of the entrance to Ga-Koro and of the waterfall are IMO superior, as well as the underwater scenes, but MNOG2 had a really cool hut for Nixie and cool primitive machinery:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/7/74/Nahofalls.PNG

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/e/e1/MNOLG_Ga-Koro_Gate.png

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/0/00/MNOLGII_Ga-Koro_Hut_Exterior.png

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/2/29/MNOLGII_Disk_In_Use.png

I think of it like this -- if any place is shown twice, just pick the one that looks the coolest. (In terms of images I'm choosing for my Bionicle history retelling, anyways, so sorta my personal headcanon plus what I expect most people's would probably be based on preference.) So imagine that the reality is a mixture of the best parts from both.

Therefore, neither is the best in terms of portrayals of the appearance of the setting. They both have their moments. :)

Overall I would probably give more "wins" to MNOG because even though it lacks sometimes in enough detail to be believable (like villages whose number of huts you could count on your fingers, despite having populations of about 166), pretty much ALL the images are COOL. MNOG2 by contrast has some imagery that is cooler than MNOG1 but also has several that IMO are fairly bland on their own. Often they give detail apparently just for the sake of being realisticish rather than entertaining. I would rather live in a strict MNOG1 version of the island than a strict MNOG2 (I'm not talking about the chores stuff although the same holds true there too).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 4 weeks later...

I feel outside of the Koros MNOG was perfect. In the Koros, I've felt neither game was really big enough. MNOG in particular did not have enough huts to accommodate all the matoran you see. MNOG 2 looked bigger, but at the same time there seemed less matoran, because everybody was named, there were no background characters at all.

I don't know. Having a bunch of random Pakari users everywhere did fell kind of weird. XD

I honestly can't decide between the two. They both have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to portraying the island of Mata Nui. Ultimately, I think MNOG does a good job of introducing us to various locations, while MNOG2 expanded on what we already knew.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I don't know. Having a bunch of random Pakari users everywhere did fell kind of weird. XD

Oh, and Hau users.

MNOG 2 pretty much beat the prequel, in my opinion.

COULD IT BE! Some one who doesn't dislike MNOG 2 because of it having many glitches?

Personally, I love the game. The glitches are a pity but the offline versions work perfectly.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

MNOG 2 pretty much beat the prequel, in my opinion.

COULD IT BE! Some one who doesn't dislike MNOG 2 because of it having many glitches?

The abundance of glitches in the online version shouldn't be what people judge the game on. And besides, there is an absolutely glitch-free, 100% able to be completed offline version of the game readily available to download from several places.

If you look at the game from a standpoint of the actual gameplay, story, etc., MNOG 2 was very good actually. In my opinion, it will never compete with the original MNOG for several reasons, but it is still my second favorite BIONICLE game. I really wish Lego would have renewed their contract with Templar so more of these games could have been made.

Bliss.png

I disliked MNOG 2 because of the difficulty and tedium, not the glitches.

That's what I disliked about it also. I still love the game, but it can't hold a candle to MNOG because of those flaws.

Yeah but the glitches are not really a flaw anymore...unless you were only referring to the first two. In that case, I think it's good that it was more challenging. :P-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

If you look at the game from a standpoint of the actual gameplay, story, etc., MNOG 2 was very good actually.

Pretty sure Syber's response was in reply to the topic question (which really ours should stay on-topic to as well :P), which was specifically about the appearance of the villages and Wahi, for the record.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I disliked MNOG 2 because of the difficulty and tedium, not the glitches.

That's what I disliked about it also. I still love the game, but it can't hold a candle to MNOG because of those flaws.

Those flaws weren't the only reason I prefer MNOG, though. I liked the portrayal of the island and the characters better in MNOG, I most definitely prefer the dialogue in MNOG over II, MNOG had more of the trademark 2001-2003 BIONICLE mysteriousness, and while MNOG II was quite tedious at times, I never felt that way in MNOG.

Bliss.png

Even in regards to the villages and Wahi, I feel MNOG was superior. Even if it's just because of the first person perspective, the villages in the first game felt more organic and real, as opposed to feeling like video game screens where you could only travel in the four cardinal directions. I also preferred the look of locations in the first game. For example, Ta-Koro in MNOG2 felt like a generic castle, whereas the gloomier, alien look of it in the first game inspired more wonder and awe.

I can't say which portrayed it more accurately or which one was more "canon". But Mata Nui in the first game felt more compelling, more unique, and more real than the comparatively lifeless portrayal in the sequel.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother