BZPower Party at BrickFair

Black Six

Party Time!  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last year at BrickFair we had an ad hoc barbecue behind the Holiday Inn. I felt it was a lot of fun and hope everyone had a good time.This year we'd like to do something more, but 'more' tends to cost money. So if we do something, we'd like to ask people to chip in to support the hosting of such and event.Currently we have two ideas.Literally right next to the Dulles Expo Center is Shadowland Adventures, a laser tag arena. I know some members have been there in the past and had a lot of fun. They also have private rooms that can be reserved for parties. The idea would be to play one or two games of laser tag and then buy a bunch of pizza so we can all hang out and have some dinner. Maybe we can get ice cream too and have a sundae party.Alternately, several BZPower members are in a band called Nervous Pudding who would like to put on a show. One of the venues they are considering is Ellanor C. Lawrence Park Amphitheater, which is about three miles away. A couple grills would be provided and we could have a barbecue while listening to some music.Please let us know what you're more interested in and how much you'd be willing to pay to help make it happen. We are currently looking at doing one of these on Saturday night in the dinner timeframe (somewhere between 4 and 9PM). Please keep in mind that you'll have to provide your own transportation to the concert.Thanks for your input! I look forward to seeing many of you at BrickFair!

Hm....While I definitely can't attend myself (Only going to be in Virginia for a day and well, I'll be on my way home when this is going to happen.), I would totally be wiling donate some cash so at least those that can check it out can have a good time at this.

But anyway, to answer your question, I probably be willing to donate at least 50 dollars to this, maybe a little more if I am feeling generous at the time. As for event itself, my opinion really doesn't matter much since I won't even be there in first place, but I voted on Nervous Pudding concert and barbecue since it sounds like the chillest of two choices available. *shrugs*

- JMJ 2013

Edited by Jedi Master J.

I'm not sure what the "hopefully someone can bring a grill" is about considering I've already said I have two grills I'd bring, and have also volunteered to bring people to and from the venue (which is literally just down the road anyway).

I also don't see why these have to be mutually exclusive? Could do laser tag without the pizza party part Saturday night, and do the cookout/concert as the meet-n-greet the next day for lunch.

I'm planning to do the concert regardless, because this is our only opportunity for all five band-members to be onstage together for the next year (one of our members has been out of state). I just want to schedule it in a way that doesn't conflict with other events, and at a venue that anyone can attend. Hence why I offered to combine it with the BZPower meet-n-greet: kill two birds with one stone, right? Plus Bryan is a really good grillmaster.

Edited by Princess Grr
bring back "an cool dude"

Laser Tag sounds good, and I'd spend up to $20. Just don't schedule laser tag on the same night as the BrickFair organizer's dinner like people had it last year, or else I won't be able to make it (good food and drinks on Todd is better than greasy pizza).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

If we can reserve a private room at lazer tag, why not just have the concert in the room?

I have a really hard time seeing them have the room for this or the tolerance for the noise level - this isn't just some little jam session I think they're intending it to be a full on rock concert.

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

If we can reserve a private room at lazer tag, why not just have the concert in the room?

I have a really hard time seeing them have the room for this or the tolerance for the noise level - this isn't just some little jam session I think they're intending it to be a full on rock concert.

IIRC, the lasertag place was not that huge either, since it's sorta in-between other venues.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

I don't foresee the room being

Laser Tag sounds good, and I'd spend up to $20. Just don't schedule laser tag on the same night as the BrickFair organizer's dinner like people had it last year, or else I won't be able to make it (good food and drinks on Todd is better than greasy pizza).

As I said, this would be Saturday night. The Organizer's Dinner is Friday night.

As I said, this would be Saturday night. The Organizer's Dinner is Friday night.

Okay, good. I missed that. Also, I don't believe any seminars are on Saturday night, since I believe I'm supposed to be filming those.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'm not sure what the "hopefully someone can bring a grill" is about considering I've already said I have two grills I'd bring, and have also volunteered to bring people to and from the venue (which is literally just down the road anyway).

I also don't see why these have to be mutually exclusive? Could do laser tag without the pizza party part Saturday night, and do the cookout/concert as the meet-n-greet the next day for lunch.

I'm planning to do the concert regardless, because this is our only opportunity for all five band-members to be onstage together for the next year (one of our members has been out of state). I just want to schedule it in a way that doesn't conflict with other events, and at a venue that anyone can attend. Hence why I offered to combine it with the BZPower meet-n-greet: kill two birds with one stone, right? Plus Bryan is a really good grillmaster.

i'm in full support of this idea. although, wasn't laser tag on Friday last year because of a discount or something? not sure if they still have it, but it might be worth checking out.

i'm in full support of this idea. although, wasn't laser tag on Friday last year because of a discount or something? not sure if they still have it, but it might be worth checking out.

I believe the laser tag was Friday, yes. Historically it's never been an "official" BZPower event - just BZPower friends getting together. Last year the official meet-and-greet was a cookout and it went over very well, and then the laser tag happened at another point during the weekend.

This topic is treating these events as if only one or the other can happen, and they're treating the two events as if they're equivalent, and frankly I don't see how any of that makes sense. They're not equivalent and I don't see any reason why they both can't happen during the same weekend. The way this is presented is really unusual and obfuscating. The fact that there isn't even a "do both, at different times" option alone is very confusing.

Barring some emergency (like one of the bandmembers getting sick or something), the concert IS happening. Like I said, this is literally the only chance for us to perform as a full band for the next year (usually we have to perform as a four-piece band in our regular gigs). It's a special occasion and we wanted to do something special just for you guys on BZPower, since you're the people that started our career in a lot of ways. If you don't want that, we'll go play at another venue, but the idea was that we wanted to give something special back to you guys. Plus, several people have specifically asked that we play a show during BrickFair weekend.

My very time-sensitive issue right now is WHEN it's going to happen, because we need to book a venue ASAP. I want to maximize its accessibility (like I said, I've volunteered to shuttle people there, and the venue we're looking at is just down the road from BrickFair anyway, practically within walking distance) because this is supposed to be a treat for you guys. I came to Black Six and wanted to check what times were available because I didn't want a schedule conflict. In the process, the idea of having it merge with the BZP meet-and-greet was brought up, which I thought was a lovely idea.

it's safe to say the laser tag also WILL happen, whether it's an "official" BZPower event or not. We can and will have both these events, and the laser tag will probably cost about the same either way (probably will cost less if we don't rent the private room) and the concert will almost definitely be free either way - really the question here is whether you want the concert to have "official" BZPower support, and if you want Bryan to cook up some mad delicious burgers and hotdogs just for you at the concert that is also just for you.

The only real issue at hand is that of when to schedule things, which isn't even brought up in this poll.

Oh my. I really want to do this. I checked my schedule and found out that I would be flying down on that saturday, so it might...just...work...

Maybe.

But I could really go for either (or both!). It would be great to see Nervous Pudding in concert, though.

I would probably be willing to pay 15-20 for whatever we do, though I would need a ride from the Dulles airport to Brickfair (which, as I understand, isn't very far) and from Brickfair to wherever we go.

I would like to point out (for scheduling purposes) that I could only do it on Saturday.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Got a question before I vote/possibly make reservations... What hotel do most BZPower attendees stay at?

Holiday Inn is the one most people going to BrickFair stay in. It is right across the parking lot from the convention center. They have a room block available for 100/night, but there are only two rooms left open right now, but if you can find other members to stay with if it is just you, it is really easy to group up with 4+ other people and save a bit of cash.

Anything is fine with me, and I'd be happy to help in anyway I can. ^_^

What I REALLY wanted to ask is for a ride to the LEGO store sometime that weekend. If any of you guys are going.

I would probably be able to. You'd just have to let me know when. I'll be there all four days, but need to be at all the LEGO employee seminars if I can, and at the dinner on Friday night, so any time aside those times listed would work for me. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I apologize for making this seem like one or the other - Andrew is right, both can certainly happen. Based on my schedule and the schedules of other staff members, Saturday night is the when we can host an 'official' BZPower event. I'm using this poll to help determine which activity will be a part of that event. Whenever the concert is scheduled for, you can expect to see news of it on BZPower.

Anything is fine with me, and I'd be happy to help in anyway I can. ^_^

What I REALLY wanted to ask is for a ride to the LEGO store sometime that weekend. If any of you guys are going.

I would probably be able to. You'd just have to let me know when. I'll be there all four days, but need to be at all the LEGO employee seminars if I can, and at the dinner on Friday night, so any time aside those times listed would work for me. :)

I'm there for all four days as well, and I'm not really sure what I'll be doing. So I guess I'll go with the flow. ^^;

rawrrrr2.png

I'd like to thank Black Six for clarifying and editing in here, and also apologize for coming across as rather snippy in my responses. The nearby venue is booked on Saturday currently so based on what he's said here, it would probably be easier to do laser tag Saturday night and so the concert/cookout as a lunchtime event on Sunday. If that's so, I'll run that by the rest of the band tonight and look into booking asap.

Just curious, would it be possible for my Troop to partake in whatever activity we'd be doing post BFVA? (if they pay, of course.)

I think that depends on who the "we" you're referring to is. :P

Just curious, would it be possible for my Troop to partake in whatever activity we'd be doing post BFVA? (if they pay, of course.)

For laser tag, I'm not sure how many people they can accommodate - depending on how many people are in your troop, we'll have to see.Based on what I've seen at the amphitheater, there's a ton of seating for the concert, but that's ultimately up to the Princess.

I'd like to thank Black Six for clarifying and editing in here, and also apologize for coming across as rather snippy in my responses. The nearby venue is booked on Saturday currently so based on what he's said here, it would probably be easier to do laser tag Saturday night and so the concert/cookout as a lunchtime event on Sunday. If that's so, I'll run that by the rest of the band tonight and look into booking asap.

I think that depends on who the "we" you're referring to is. :P

I meant "we" as in BZP members.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Based on what I've seen at the amphitheater, there's a ton of seating for the concert, but that's ultimately up to the Princess.

There's definitely plenty of seating at the amphitheater and the Troop would be more than welcome to come - I want it to be a BZ-focused event but if it's not strictly the "meet-and-greet" then it'd still be open to anyone. I don't want to charge unless I have to, so it should be free.Andrew, talk at me tonight sometime about booking/scheduling.

I meant "we" as in BZP members.

Well, after BrickFair ends on Sunday night, there aren't any "official" BZPower events and most people go home. People who stay generally do so for the purpose of just hanging out with their friends - a lot of my pals, like Makaru, DeeVee, Black Six, InnerRayg, Nukaya, Lehvaklah, etc, usually stay at my place for a few days afterward, for instance (I live in the same city so it's a local thing for me). I'd imagine some others do similar things? But they're not open "bzpower events" or anything.