Minus Some Animosity, These Days?

fishers64

In the good old days on the archive boards, there seemed to be a problem with flamewars and sharp-tongued disagreements of various sorts. These days, the boards seem to have quieted down, and I think that there is less animosity in general around here yonderabouts. Do you agree with me? If so, why? Is it because BZP isn't as invested in newer Lego themes? Has more mature members? An implicit consensus that it's not worth fighting in a sinking ship? (Or a sunken ship? :P)Or am I merely frequenting the more pleasant parts of the board?

I do agree that compared to the old boards, it is very quiet now.

I believe because the members have matured more, and that there are less likely to fight.

Still, occasionally there are arguments/flamewars now and then due to the hackings and other things.

I myself have actually taken part in what nearly became a flame fight thing on this board, but that was when I was a total noob. Nowadays I never really get into things like that, but there will always be disagreements, not all of them pretty, it's just human nature. That's why there are moderators. Anyway, I've seen the archives before and I did realize back then it does seem to have been a bit more... heated.

Edited by ToaOfAwesome

Herro there, person.

How are you?

The most heated wars of the old forum would have been considered small time on the old forum, and I believe it's due to BZP's shrinkage and simultaneous maturity. Not to say that we don't have our share of problems, but they are much more confined than they used to be, usually popping up in the blogs.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I claim credit. :P

Just kidding. Yeah, definitely noticed, and it's awesome.

Of course, if we could keep it this way but plus a bit more activity that would be nice. :) Most likely it's mainly because Bionicle's over, so there's little point in worrying about whether something is a problem or not because either way it's still over. And time calms people down generally. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, BZPower's largely a more casual site these days (and there's a lot of discussion in Wind's tracker ticket concerning how to update the site to gel better with that new atmosphere). For starters, Bionicle's just a bunch of dry bones now, so we don't have people with high-running emotions about the direction of the franchise, or getting gritty debating theories and flinging walls-of-text about why their opinions were thoroughly "logical" and why (implicitly) other people were stupid for disagreeing. That sort of stuff was pretty rough to watch back in the day (used to give me headaches). But now, discussion of Bionicle is largely an exercise in simple nostalgia, which tends to be a more positive exercise.

As for other stuff that caused flame wars, a lot of it is largely irrelevant now. The userbase has shrunk so much that people are actually able to work through disagreements via discussion, without innumerable others interjecting with pointless, escalating anger. There are exceptions to this, sure (namely with certain social issues wherein some member enforce a societal system that hurts other members - which obviously get out of control quickly, because how could it not?), but overall the smaller size allows people to be a lot more civil: you don't have to shout over a hundred others to make your point.

We're living in an all-new, more relaxed BZPower community (which is why I feel the site itself needs a major overhaul to adapt - all these rules we put in place back then WERE needed at the time, but they're inhibiting now). And that's a good thing! Kick back and chill out, gal-pals.

what

bring back "an cool dude"

Well, it's a very simple explanation. BZPower's just not as lively as it used to be. All the people that enjoyed participating in heated debates and arguments either moved to the blogs or left the site entirely and took it elsewhere. How often do you see a Bring Back BIONICLE debate her nowadays?

I would say it's a pleasant change because I never enjoyed those or any others of a similar kind back when they were prominent, however, I'd prefer them to the state BZPower's in now. At least some heated debates now and then breathe some life into things.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

I think Princess (still tempted to put "pretty pretty" in front of that name) pretty much got it in a nice nutshell, really.

Emotions don't run super high anymore with people super-heavily invested in the toyline, and Hero Factory is old news now so we don't have three thousand threads about why it sucks because it killed Bionicle and other nutty jabberings. Plus, the site's memberbase has decreased a lot so we don't have such a large community wherein thirty different people will be screaming at one another over one issue, though we really don't have issues like that to scream over (Bionicle's gone, as far as the company is concerned, so there's no debates over canonizing everything, or over things people found dumb in the decision making, nor are there crazy huge disputes over the story, etc...).

We still get some flame-ish happenings, but after the first two or three of them (of one particular topic) most people who seem to fan the flames have left or simply stay out of it when it begins to creep up again (making it easier to deal with and less noticeable).

And posting in general is pretty slow nowadays anyway. We don't have like super-duper active forums where every thread in that forum is newish and has a last post of less than an hour ago.

It's kinda nice.

Edited by Spink

Well I can't speak from experience, but I hypothesise that the Staff these days have a smaller herd to control and could be more active now. Certainly the Staff here seem to do their roundabouts regularly and thus may discourage spamwars.Also, the old flamers may be gone once the series ended. Thus, less squire of anger these days. Again, this is only a hypothesis I have no experience in the old board.

I agree with everyone else. BZP has slowed down and gotten far more casual. I remember back in the day there used to be at least one complaint topic a month, sometimes even once a week, and you can bet your Bionicles that every one of those topics would end in a flame war of some kind. Even when they didn't, I always felt they were more harmful than helpful.

Nowadays, I haven't seen a true complaint topic in quite a while. And on the rare occasions that I do see complaints, they are usually far less melodramatic than the complaints of old. In fact, I often find myself in agreement with them.

While it would be nice if BZP were a bit more active, I'm quite glad people don't get into flame wars as often as they originally did anymore. They were always my least favorite aspect of BZP, so quite glad to see that they have nearly died out.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

[...]

Nowadays, I haven't seen a true complaint topic in quite a while. And on the rare occasions that I do see complaints, they are usually far less melodramatic than the complaints of old. In fact, I often find myself in agreement with them.

[...]

-TNTOS-

I may be mistaken, but as far as I remember the complaint topics usually popped up whenever there was a major storyline update/revelation/new wave of sets. So IMO it's quite obvious why those fell away. ^^

I kinda miss the activity on here, especially in GD; there was always something new to discuss. :/ But the flame wars... somehow, I didn't notice so many of them. O.o

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

what
This.

.In the Storyline and Theories forum, bonesiii, the forum leader, will occasionally drop into a topic with an incredibly logical (if long-winded) post that will often put any flaming to a rather abrupt halt.

I could also cite a blog entry here, but it was made by bones.:P In any case, it's a well-founded joke, at least. As to whether it contains truth, I wouldn't know anything about that. :P

I definitely agree that tempers have cooled down a lot since the old days of BZPower. That's part of why I stuck around. When BIONICLE was cancelled, a lot of arguments flared up and there was a lot of anger and rudeness (and not just from one point of view: some people got angry at the LEGO Group for ending the theme, some people took the spiteful position that BIONICLE got what was coming to it, some people just got into arguments about why exactly it died, and some people got into arguments over in what capacity the story should continue).I won't say that this was the peak of animosity on BZPower because to be honest I don't remember all the details of BZPower's old days that well. Here's what I remember: There was always a lot of scorn directed at BIONICLE's target audience, which was seen as the root of every decision we, the "true fans" of BIONICLE, disliked. There was a lot of scorn directed at Greg Farshtey, whose writing style was not universally liked and who, as the most visible member of the BIONICLE story team, was viewed more and more as the direct and ultimate source of any BIONICLE story decisions people disliked.Oddly, the set designers did NOT get a lot of scorn, despite the number of set design decisions that were hated, perhaps in part because those most familiar to fans like Christoffer Raundahl and Lars Thygesen had often been involved in the theme for a very long time. I suppose it was easier for fans to imagine the designers shackled by restrictive budgets and the demands of the target audience than to reconcile the notion that the same designer who created Tahu, Kopaka, and the Bahrag identified his favorite Toa Mahri sets as Kongu and Hewkii (thank goodness they didn't yet know he would be involved in BIONICLE's replacement as one of the inventors of its new building system!). But nevertheless, there were a lot of set design philosophies that people disliked, including the principle that was present from the very beginning that sets came before story.Suffice it to say that I was already a member on a handful of BIONICLE sites (BZPower was definitely not the worst), and in December 2009 I joined a general LEGO forum. That site's much more civil BIONICLE community and an increasing amount of schoolwork conspired to draw me away from BZPower, and I started checking BZPower increasingly rarely up until the downtime.When the downtime ended, I decided to go back to BZPower to see if it had improved. And I found that it had. Between the new, broader focus the forums were organized around, the reduced activity that didn't eat up so many hours of my day, the unique perspective the BIONICLE community had always had on the LEGO brand, and the reduced tensions of the community, I was perfectly happy to make BZPower a part of my regular online activity once again. And yes, BZPower DOES have a unique perspective that makes it special. A lot of LEGO sites look down on "story themes", particularly action figure themes, whereas BZPower embraces them.We still have complaints and disagreements, but people talk them out more or less civilly. A lot of the questions about BIONICLE's cancellation have been answered more satisfactorily than they had been in the immediate aftermath of that announcement, so people have more or less come to terms with the notion that BIONICLE was neither an absolute success nor an absolute failure. So overall I'm grateful that the community is different than it was back then, even if that means it is also smaller.

Okay, so my previous comment on this kinda sucked, so while I stand by that, I want to get a bit more in depth. Something about this topic reminded me why I love BZPower and why I am glad I joined at the time I did. BZPower nowadays is very excepting and small, a community of people who are gathered because they love Bionicle and Legos. I used to lurk a lot when I was younger and I saw lots of people talking as though they were suddenly cool and popular amongst the community because they were spending their money on the newest and latest action figure toys. After Bionicle closed all those people left, leaving only the people who actually came for Bionicle, not an idol to show off how "in" they suddenly were. (Now that I think of it, it was like hipsters, except only ten years old which makes it worse.) Since I was pretty young, I saw them as "The Big Kids", and I was afraid to join. I saw their annoying irrelevant arguments as important disputes about aspects of Bionicle that I couldn't possibly understand. Nowadays I realize that I was probably even more of a fan of Bionicle than they were, and just because I didn't know that Toa Metru Vakama contained 48 pieces in his set didn't mean that I was any less worthy to become part of that community. Of course now it's all different. People would understand when I made mistakes back when I was a noob, and people are still understanding when I do now. Not to go too far off topic, but it's much like (at least my experience) in LU, where everybody was joined by a common interest and were helpful and interested instead of acting like they were above you and extremely important while you're just another idiot who isn't a "real" fan.

BTW, it would be funny if somebody tipped me off and told me I should have just edited this all into my previous comment, considering what I just said. :P

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I think it's simply that there's nothing to left to fight over. The long and often bitter arguments we had in the last decade about the drastic changes made to Bionicle are pointless now that the line is long over. The arguments about Hero Factory are pointless because I think everyone has now accepted that it's here to stay. Plus the remaining active users seem fairly mature.

I'm sure it's for the best, though a higher rate of discussion would be nice.

A bit of all of the above, really.

Less new active members means that older members generally have a better understanding of the culture, and when it's not wise to disagree (or how to disagree).

Less new themes means less things to argue about (really, the biggest debates and largest level of animosity seems to be about Hero Factory, especially in relation to BIONICLE, ignoring the real-world-issue debates, which are only mildly tolerated anyway).

So yeah, overall, it's just because BZP has found its comfort spot in a post-BIONICLE world.

The dudes starting flame wars were six-year olds who wanted to feel like big boys and start a fight online. Now that there's no Bionicle, six-year olds don't come to this site anymore.

But flame wars weren't the extent of the animosity. There were a lot of condescending posts about the seven-year-olds who were supposedly ruining BIONICLE, and I hardly think that six-year-olds were making those kinds of posts. Especially considering many of these posts were from '01-'03 purists who couldn't have been younger than ten years old by the time the theme ended.

I think it's simply that there's nothing to left to fight over. The long and often bitter arguments we had in the last decade about the drastic changes made to Bionicle are pointless now that the line is long over. The arguments about Hero Factory are pointless because I think everyone has now accepted that it's here to stay. Plus the remaining active users seem fairly mature. I'm sure it's for the best, though a higher rate of discussion would be nice.

Before BIONICLE ended, people were more or less of the opinion that BIONICLE was here to stay. That didn't stop them fighting over any decision in that theme they disliked. Your analysis explains why a lot of the "Hero Factory sucks, long live BIONICLE!" comments have gone away, but something must have changed more profoundly about the BZPower community or there'd be Hero Factory fans arguing about Hero Factory to the same extent that BIONICLE fans used to argue about BIONICLE.I think your comment that "the remaining active users seem fairly mature" cuts a bit closer to the root cause of the change. BZPower isn't attracting as many new users as it used to, and it's possible those new users it does attract have been around the block enough to know the basics of internet etiquette.

The dudes starting flame wars were six-year olds who wanted to feel like big boys and start a fight online. Now that there's no Bionicle, six-year olds don't come to this site anymore.

Wow, that was like exactly what I just said in a giant mass of words all summed up into one sentence... daqarz?

What in the world does 'daqarz' mean?

But flame wars weren't the extent of the animosity. There were a lot of condescending posts about the seven-year-olds who were supposedly ruining BIONICLE, and I hardly think that six-year-olds were making those kinds of posts. Especially considering many of these posts were from '01-'03 purists who couldn't have been younger than ten years old by the time the theme ended.
All those people who wanted the gears back, and complained about newer builds being too simple caused a bit of a ruckus. I think when HF came out they turned purple and left for the Technic forums. Edited by fishers64

I think it's simply that there's nothing to left to fight over. The long and often bitter arguments we had in the last decade about the drastic changes made to Bionicle are pointless now that the line is long over. The arguments about Hero Factory are pointless because I think everyone has now accepted that it's here to stay. Plus the remaining active users seem fairly mature. I'm sure it's for the best, though a higher rate of discussion would be nice.

Before BIONICLE ended, people were more or less of the opinion that BIONICLE was here to stay. That didn't stop them fighting over any decision in that theme they disliked. Your analysis explains why a lot of the "Hero Factory sucks, long live BIONICLE!" comments have gone away, but something must have changed more profoundly about the BZPower community or there'd be Hero Factory fans arguing about Hero Factory to the same extent that BIONICLE fans used to argue about BIONICLE.I think your comment that "the remaining active users seem fairly mature" cuts a bit closer to the root cause of the change. BZPower isn't attracting as many new users as it used to, and it's possible those new users it does attract have been around the block enough to know the basics of internet etiquette.

How many Hero Factory fans are there to argue in the first place? The line's in its fourth year, but it hasn't built up anything like the fanbase Bionicle had by 2004. The only discussion of it on here seems to focus on the sets and MoCing possibilites.

I think the explanation for this is that - generally - Bionicle fans loved Bionicle a bit more than Hero Factory fans currently love Hero Factory. The more passionate you feel about something, the more likely you are to argue about it.

Wow, that was like exactly what I just said in a giant mass of words all summed up into one sentence... daqarz?

I imagine it's short for "what the Karzahni?", like the less fandom-specific (and not BZP-appropriate) five-letter abbreviation. I had to puzzle over it for a bit myself before I arrived at that.

How many Hero Factory fans are there to argue in the first place? The line's in its fourth year, but it hasn't built up anything like the fanbase Bionicle had by 2004. The only discussion of it on here seems to focus on the sets and MoCing possibilites. I think the explanation for this is that - generally - Bionicle fans loved Bionicle a bit more than Hero Factory fans currently love Hero Factory. The more passionate you feel about something, the more likely you are to argue about it.

I'm about as passionate about Hero Factory today as I was about BIONICLE in 2004, I'd say. Certainly I put forth a concerted effort to get the books, which is more than I could say back then (I didn't have any of the BIONICLE chapter books until 2005).In general, I think Hero Factory has passionate fans (I've encountered them on many a website), but they don't congregate in the same fashion as BIONICLE fans did. BZPower was once the central hub of the BIONICLE fandom. Hero Factory doesn't really have anything like that of its own, and most dedicated Hero Factory fansites I've seen started as offshoots of BIONICLE fansites or general LEGO fansites. Even those don't usually seem as active as the Hero Factory sections on some BIONICLE and general LEGO sites. So on the whole, Hero Factory fans spread themselves a bit thinner than BIONICLE fans did. The fact that there are other, more successful LEGO story themes probably is also a factor. Remember that in the early years, BIONICLE was big and it was new and it was special. Today, Hero Factory is just one of several popular themes under the LEGO brand, certainly not the first action figure theme to hit it big, and hardly comparable to Ninjago or City in terms of brand recognition.I could name a couple sites that have extremely healthy Hero Factory discussion forums if not for BZPower's advertising policy. And on the whole, I don't see much argument on most of them. But perhaps that's because I have settled on a handful of sites which, like BZPower, have a reasonably mature community.In any event, even set discussion used to be a sore spot on BZPower. People complained about the loss of the collectibles, or the loss of gear functions, or the increasing number of launchers, or the changes in mask designs, or the increasing size of sets, or the broken joints etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum. So even if Hero Factory discussions tend to center around set discussion, that shouldn't preclude arguments on its own.Looking at this now, perhaps Hero Factory simply hasn't lost as much as people felt BIONICLE did. It started with relatively simple set designs and didn't really garner too much attention until the new building system appeared, from which point it really just continued to steadily improve while paying earnest tribute to what had come before. I know there are those who prefer certain aspects of Hero Factory from previous iterations, such as the 2.0 helmet style or the canisters, but it's just not as much of a sticking point for a lot of people.

what the karz?=the karz?=da karz?=daqarz?

kinda like

what the heck?=the heck?=da heck?=daheq?

Ever seen anything like that before?

Herro there, person.

How are you?

what the karz?=the karz?=da karz?=daqarz?

kinda like

what the heck?=the heck?=da heck?=daheq?

Ever seen anything like that before?

Oooooooh.

I imagine it's short for "what the Karzahni?", like the less fandom-specific (and not BZP-appropriate) five-letter abbreviation. I had to puzzle over it for a bit myself before I arrived at that.

Oh wait, looks like Aanchir: Rachira of Time already explained it.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I'm about as passionate about Hero Factory today as I was about BIONICLE in 2004, I'd say.

I don't doubt it, but you still seem to be one of very few members here who show much interest in the line.

they don't congregate in the same fashion as BIONICLE fans did. BZPower was once the central hub of the BIONICLE fandom. Hero Factory doesn't really have anything like that of its own, and most dedicated Hero Factory fansites I've seen started as offshoots of BIONICLE fansites or general LEGO fansites. Even those don't usually seem as active as the Hero Factory sections on some BIONICLE and general LEGO sites. So on the whole, Hero Factory fans spread themselves a bit thinner than BIONICLE fans did.

And why might this be? If there were lots of Hero Factory fans who were all as devoted to their line as Bionicle fans once were to theirs, then by now there should be a solid, independent and thriving Hero Factory community. Yet what fans there are still have to gather within the grounds of other lines.

The fact that there are other, more successful LEGO story themes probably is also a factor. Remember that in the early years, BIONICLE was big and it was new and it was special. Today, Hero Factory is just one of several popular themes under the LEGO brand, certainly not the first action figure theme to hit it big, and hardly comparable to Ninjago or City in terms of brand recognition.

I agree on this, though I don't feel it's a very important factor.

In any event, even set discussion used to be a sore spot on BZPower. People complained about the loss of the collectibles, or the loss of gear functions, or the increasing number of launchers, or the changes in mask designs, or the increasing size of sets, or the broken joints etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum. So even if Hero Factory discussions tend to center around set discussion, that shouldn't preclude arguments on its own.

True, but I don't think the different waves of Hero Factory have seen changes nearly as drastic (and therefore as controversial) as those you mentioned that occurred in Bionicle. This point you admit in your last paragraph.

Edited by Sir Kohran

they don't congregate in the same fashion as BIONICLE fans did. BZPower was once the central hub of the BIONICLE fandom. Hero Factory doesn't really have anything like that of its own, and most dedicated Hero Factory fansites I've seen started as offshoots of BIONICLE fansites or general LEGO fansites. Even those don't usually seem as active as the Hero Factory sections on some BIONICLE and general LEGO sites. So on the whole, Hero Factory fans spread themselves a bit thinner than BIONICLE fans did.

And why might this be? If there were lots of Hero Factory fans who were all as devoted to their line as Bionicle fans once were to theirs, then by now there should be a solid, independent and thriving Hero Factory community. Yet what fans there are still have to gather within the grounds of other lines.

Part of it is that regardless of quality, Hero Factory just isn't as novel as BIONICLE was. Sure, Throwbots was technically the first constraction theme, but it never gained the popularity BIONICLE did, and wasn't truly a fully-developed intellectual property. General LEGO sites certainly didn't approve of BIONICLE to a great extent back then, and because of that there weren't a lot of already-existing websites that were optimal for BIONICLE discussion. Thus, BIONICLE fans created their own, like BZPower, and flocked to them en masse.In the case of Hero Factory, yes, it's got some great developments, but it's not as groundbreaking. It's just one of several IPs that LEGO has developed, and hardly the first IP or the first constraction theme to achieve a stable level of success. The fact that it actively replaced BIONICLE means that there was a void on BIONICLE discussion sites just waiting to be filled. Additionally, several general LEGO sites have warmed up to constraction themes since BIONICLE was new, so discussion can easily take place there. Hence, Hero Factory discussion is not centralized on its own dedicated discussion forums.In short, Hero Factory fans have not created strong, independent communities because they don't face the same stigma or isolation within existing LEGO communities as BIONICLE fans did when that theme was new. There were more independent Hero Factory sites emerging, often as splinter groups from existing BIONICLE sites, when the theme was still highly controversial within the BIONICLE community. But instead of developing in an isolated void like BIONICLE sites did, these Hero Factory sites failed to expand as much because it wasn't long before LEGO and BIONICLE sites welcomed Hero Factory fans into their communities. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

It's because of the cruel, unwavering first of discipline enforced by the moderators that has forced all members into fearful submission. And also because hardly anyone goes on here anymore. Partially because of the first reason.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

It's because of the cruel, unwavering first of discipline enforced by the moderators that has forced all members into fearful submission. And also because hardly anyone goes on here anymore. Partially because of the first reason.

This gave me a good giggle.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Yes Zaz! We must rise up against our oppressors! For freedom! And liberty!

That was a joke, by the way. Don't take it too seriously.

Really, I like this new atmosphere. Everyone's all so ... chill nowadays. No problems to care about. You don't have to quickly wake up in the morning to continuously argue with some random person on the other side of the world.

lolAlso, I've seen some flame-warring going on here, but all of it in the blogs. The rest of the forums are pretty quiet.....too quiet.....*tumbleweed rolls by*

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

Less new members and a smaller active population. Reading through this thread, there were only 2-3 members I didn't recognize. With fewer younger and newer members joining, the older members, effectively the site as a whole matured together.

i have to agree here.

i've noticed less flame, and i think it's partly due to more mature members, but also i think it has a lot to do with the general lack in activity the forum has nowadays.

BZPower has remained more active than a lot of other forums, even in recent years, but for probably about a year or two, activity has been slowing down. less people have been joining, more members are leaving. the reason we have more mature users is because we've all grown up quite a bit since we were raging, flaming newbies.i guess the lack of flamewars has to do with less new members, or at least less new members who stick around for very long. most flame was between younger users, that i had seen anyways.

so, yeah the quieting down is nice in a way, but it feels to me like we've lost a little something along with the flame.

i don't think that flamewars are an OK thing, though, this is just my personal opinion.

naw man