Set Review: 70502 Cole's Earth Drill

tn_70502-earth-drill-teaser.jpgSummer sets are starting to get stacked on shelves, but let us not want for writings of wonderful works from the winter. Today, xccj reviews the Ninjago Earth Drill set, where Ninja Cole faces off against a ruthless Stone Warrior. Continue on to collect clarity of the coolness or classlessness of this constructed concoction.View the full article

Definitely adding this one to my wish list. This review just sealed the deal. I mean, sand green, awesome new swords, great detail, functions, Steampunk look, and a vehicle that just looks great? Can't wait to get it!

Good review, though I'm surprised you had so much praise for the color scheme. Reddish Brown, Black, Dark Stone Grey and Warm Gold could work well together, but in this set I feel like they're organized somewhat chaotically. And then a few spots of Sand Green are thrown in somewhat arbitrarily without any effort to incorporate them as a regularly-occurring accent color. The fact that you seem to think this color scheme is more coherent than the lovely and well-organized color scheme of the Thunder Driller from Power Miners confuses me to no end.Textures, too, feel a bit jumbled in this model, and I can't get over its overall blockiness. I much preferred all of the ninja vehicles from the 2012 wave, myself. Cole's was the last one I bought and assembled, but it had a certain elegance to its shape and color scheme that I feel this model lacks. Even its fiery exhaust pipe was certainly a lot more classy-looking than the single Tr. Fluor. Reddish-Orange cylinder used here.Admittedly, looking at this set I do see some features I hadn't given it due credit for before. Specifically, I like how the drill on its nose, and in fact the whole chassis, is angled downward. It makes it seem like it's ready to burrow underground at any moment. It also feels somewhat mole-like in its design, which serves it well. But on the whole this is the set that impresses me least from the 2013 lineup.

The fact that you seem to think this color scheme is more coherent than the lovely and well-organized color scheme of the Thunder Driller from Power Miners confuses me to no end.

I'll give you that the Thunder Driller has a better dispersion of the colors, but lime green and orange are not complementing colors in my eye. I like the colors of the Earth Drill because they all match each other and fit with the element, even if they could've been better distributed across the vehicle.

:music:

Not a bad looking set, but for the same price, I could get Dragon Bolt, which is rather a priority of mine. Even if I do scrounge up money for some of the system sets, I'd probably go for LOTR first. Guess I'll give this one a pass.

• 2 weeks later...