• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Set Review: 70502 Cole's Earth Drill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 16-July 01
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 23 2013 - 06:37 PM

Posted ImageSummer sets are starting to get stacked on shelves, but let us not want for writings of wonderful works from the winter. Today, xccj reviews the Ninjago Earth Drill set, where Ninja Cole faces off against a ruthless Stone Warrior. Continue on to collect clarity of the coolness or classlessness of this constructed concoction.View the full article

#2 Offline Click

Click
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 25-May 09
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 23 2013 - 11:40 PM

Definitely adding this one to my wish list. This review just sealed the deal. I mean, sand green, awesome new swords, great detail, functions, Steampunk look, and a vehicle that just looks great? Can't wait to get it!

~click.gif

ninjathumb_by_0nuku-d807hxd.jpg14931368843_5d9241e78e.jpg

Rahkshi CorpusBZPRPG (inactive)The Scarabax Library | Flickr | Deviantart

#3 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,527 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jun 24 2013 - 10:47 AM

Good review, though I'm surprised you had so much praise for the color scheme. Reddish Brown, Black, Dark Stone Grey and Warm Gold could work well together, but in this set I feel like they're organized somewhat chaotically. And then a few spots of Sand Green are thrown in somewhat arbitrarily without any effort to incorporate them as a regularly-occurring accent color. The fact that you seem to think this color scheme is more coherent than the lovely and well-organized color scheme of the Thunder Driller from Power Miners confuses me to no end.Textures, too, feel a bit jumbled in this model, and I can't get over its overall blockiness. I much preferred all of the ninja vehicles from the 2012 wave, myself. Cole's was the last one I bought and assembled, but it had a certain elegance to its shape and color scheme that I feel this model lacks. Even its fiery exhaust pipe was certainly a lot more classy-looking than the single Tr. Fluor. Reddish-Orange cylinder used here.Admittedly, looking at this set I do see some features I hadn't given it due credit for before. Specifically, I like how the drill on its nose, and in fact the whole chassis, is angled downward. It makes it seem like it's ready to burrow underground at any moment. It also feels somewhat mole-like in its design, which serves it well. But on the whole this is the set that impresses me least from the 2013 lineup.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Offline Neelh

Neelh
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 17-December 09
  • 2,337 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 24 2013 - 12:08 PM

I liked the last con.

I no longer need Taipu as I have achieved the impossible.

I have girlfriend.

the atlantic was born today

and i'll tell you how

the clouds above opened up

and let it out

#5 Online xccj

xccj
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Senior Staff Mask Maker

• 17-January 03
  • 6,503 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jun 24 2013 - 07:45 PM

The fact that you seem to think this color scheme is more coherent than the lovely and well-organized color scheme of the Thunder Driller from Power Miners confuses me to no end.

I'll give you that the Thunder Driller has a better dispersion of the colors, but lime green and orange are not complementing colors in my eye.  I like the colors of the Earth Drill because they all match each other and fit with the element, even if they could've been better distributed across the vehicle.

:music:

b-bolin-03.jpg

#6 Offline Twi

Twi
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 09-March 13
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 24 2013 - 09:38 PM

Not a bad looking set, but for the same price, I could get Dragon Bolt, which is rather a priority of mine.  Even if I do scrounge up money for some of the system sets, I'd probably go for LOTR first.  Guess I'll give this one a pass.

#7 Offline Phantomesque

Phantomesque
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 23-March 10
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 27 2013 - 12:18 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(128,0,128);]Decent enough set. The vehicle looks actually really nice, and the minifigures are just a plus too.[/color][/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(128,0,128);]Thanks for the review xccj, I'll consider buying this one.[/color][/font]

EH5Tbhq.png

#8 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 21-March 05
  • 5,201 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 10 2013 - 05:45 PM

I don't actually buy LEGO sets anymore, but I can say that I'd kill to have that wicked awesome ninja blade (or the Ninjago line in general) come out while I was younger. :lol:

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated August 2014:Boss fight with Makuta!
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users