Asperger's Syndrome Topic

Master Inika

On another point' date=' would anybody think it cool if I put an BZPower Aspie List on the front page? The BZP bronies do it; I just think it'd be cool to have.[/quote']Bronies are people with a common interest. Aspies are people with a common mental peculiarity. Not sure the common mental peculiarity is worth making a list about - it will either do nothing, or alienate us, in my opinion.
Oh. Made it anyways, sorry. I think it's cool to have.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I have it, but in a different way...I am fully socially capable, and am able to make and have many good friends, and am hardly awkward. But I still have the obsessions.But now I use the obsessions to help me through situations, and as a fun way to create;For a few weeks I'll be interested in animating, for the next month I'll be interested written stories, and the next godknows-how-long time I'll be interested in anything else...I use my asbergers to help me make things, and I never let it hold me back on my social life

Gee golly, I sure do love Bionicles! My favourite one is Hero Factory!

I honestly appreciate being left off of the, ahem, Aspie list, given my loathing of the term.If you were to make a list of those who have Asperger's Syndrome, or, if you like (and I do), High-Functioning Autism, it may be a good idea to also list who has a diagnosis given by a professional, and who read a couple of books and/or WebMD and diagnosed themselves.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I honestly appreciate being left off of the, ahem, Aspie list, given my loathing of the term.If you were to make a list of those who have Asperger's Syndrome, or, if you like (and I do), High-Functioning Autism, it may be a good idea to also list who has a diagnosis given by a professional, and who read a couple of books and/or WebMD and diagnosed themselves.

No prob. I only try to include those proud of the title. I include self-diagnosed Aspies because they're definitely more qualified to know than me.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Exactly. I've no problem with the disorder, but a very big problem with the cutesy little title.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Haha only the ones proud of having Aspergers. I understood what you meant, but it sounded so silly. "Only the TRUE, PROUD members of the pack will be allowed to eat delicious cake". I'd prefer not to be on the list, just in case you'd put me on the list. :P

I didn't, because you said you planned on having it removed. So no cake for you!

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I don't know why I felt like holding out on this topic since I saw it, but add me to the list. I'm pretty much proud, even though I want to get out of this crazy school of Autistic kids because I just need to have more *ahem* normal people in my life... Even if I have to go to a school loaded with fish suckers! (my term for CoD fanboys, ^_^)Not sure there's much to say about my individual diagnosis of it, socially I'm just OK, but the fact that I'm in a loony bin of a school with no kids in my hometown I'd WANT to hang out with, may slightly hamper my social preformance...

Please enjoy a series of on signals and off signals sent from a far off computer to yours, forming short messages that may disturb and amuse!

I know exactly what you're talking about. Have you talked to your parents (or guardians) about this? Are you entirely sure that you would have no problems going to a normal public school? There are pros and cons to the system you're in. You just need to be entirely honest to yourself. "Can I do this?" is the key question. If you know you wouldn't have much trouble, then you should try to find a way to convince the people responsible for your education that you can do this. That is, if you want out of the system. I know I'd be furious if I was placed in that system.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

wow...first time i've ever been understood.fitting under the guidelines...1: absolutley must talk. facts must be corrected...2: overflowing YES.i was aleady diagnosed, anyways.wow, just wow.i need to exspect these things more often...

I don't know why I felt like holding out on this topic since I saw it, but add me to the list. I'm pretty much proud, even though I want to get out of this crazy school of Autistic kids because I just need to have more *ahem* normal people in my life... Even if I have to go to a school loaded with fish suckers! (my term for CoD fanboys, ^_^)Not sure there's much to say about my individual diagnosis of it, socially I'm just OK, but the fact that I'm in a loony bin of a school with no kids in my hometown I'd WANT to hang out with, may slightly hamper my social preformance...

i've got a little less worse.alternative school, normal people, but a homeroom full of misunderstanding (error: this webiste is blocking this word.).it's mostly the racist, sexist, all-around (error has occured again. website may have problems.), who thinks aspergers means having hamburger buns for hindquarters.he's got suspended pasted all over him.anyways, i just let the normal conversation go on...EDIT: double quote? what is this world coming to?

No prob. I only try to include those proud of the title. I include self-diagnosed Aspies because they're definitely more qualified to know than me.
those are proud, are, well...it may differ from person to person.so i have no clue.

Question; who here has professionally diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome, and who here just diagnosed it themselves?Because, as someone who has it professionally diagnosed and tries to work around it, there's not much I hate more than people who diagnose themselves with it and then use that as an excuse for being a socially awkward nerd.Except Praying Mantises

proffesionaly diagnosed. Edited by Elder_Hau_of_Fire

What do you get when you multiply 6 times 9?

somehow, no one is posting since i did.anything wrong?

Haha only the ones proud of having Aspergers. I understood what you meant, but it sounded so silly. "Only the TRUE, PROUD members of the pack will be allowed to eat delicious cake". I'd prefer not to be on the list, just in case you'd put me on the list. :P

I didn't, because you said you planned on having it removed. So no cake for you!
THE CAKE IS A LIE.that was totaly requiered.

What do you get when you multiply 6 times 9?

It tends to be that once you meet other people with it, you feel like you're the only normal one and they're all really far down the spectrum. Interestingly, they're probably thinking the same thing....I also sort of resent the whole "aspie" thing. I much prefer simply "people with Aspergers Syndrome," or, if that isn't necessary to point out, then just "people."

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Why? There doesn't seem like there's a need to do so.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

I don't have this, but I can sympathise with people who do.There are so many things medically wrong with me its not even funny

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Isn't the correct term supposed to be "Aspergrian"?

No, that one's pretty dim too. The correct term doesn't actually involve any coined words, just the best way you can think of to use existing words to say that someone has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome or, if you like, High-Functioning Autism. I suppose High-Functioning Autistic could work, though I doubt most of you here would cotton on to that idea.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I think Aspie is more correct, since Aspergian sounds like a citizen of Aspergia (which there should totally be).

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I think Aspie is more correct, since Aspergian sounds like a citizen of Aspergia (which there should totally be).
Aspie, to me, sounds like a pet name for a particularly dangerous snake. Aspergian sounds like a resident of a planet made of Asparagus, so they're both awful.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Why are we even discussing the term Aspie? Is there some grave need to settle this? People can't even agree on whether or not it's spelled Asperger or Asberger, what makes you think you will find a term for Aspie? Aspie is a common, simplified 'nickname' for people with Asperger. Trying to introduce a new word to the system will only add to the confusion. However, on the debate on Asperger versus Asberger, I think it's totally obvious that the actual spelling is Asperger, since the person who discovered the syndrome was called Asperger. It's not that hard, people!

Hm, those "symptoms" very well describe me. I am both incredibly socially awkward and if I have an interest in something, I have an extensive knowledge of it, Bionicle, MLP, Doctor Who, etc.However, it's probably best I don't get added to the list, as I'd consider self diagnosing to be rather insulting to those that actually do have it. I've so far diagnosed myself with OCD, Depression and Insomnia, so clearly, unless I really do suffer from these things and other people just haven't noticed, I may just have a tendency to overreact.

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Then I'll go ahead and assume you're just a very typical teenager with buckets of emotions. I don't doubt that you're low, but truly depressed? No. However, this is a blanket statement, and I can't know for sure. But I'd say that if you give it some time, you'll heal. I used to think I have OCD. I had certain aspects of it, and still do, but that was during a very stressing period in my life and I was going through some stuff. I guess cleaning and organizing made me feel safer and cleaner. But most importantly, in control. And I still behave this way. When things become stressful and I need to think, I need to clean the space around me and organize. Otherwise, I can't relax. Just keep on feeling, treat your emotions well and learn the art of not overreacting.

That's fair enough. As I said, I've never been confident over the whole depression/OCD stuff and as you said, it probably really is just my age that's the issue. I'd never actually tell anyone I'm depressed, because A: That'd be a silly way to introduce yourself, and B: I don't know for real that I am. I'd rather have a councillor confirm it than base it off of how I think I relate to the Wikipedia page. Which brings me back to the original point I made in my first post which is that I don't believe in self-diagnosing oneself onto the list.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I definitely think you have the right approach. Because I was totally convinced I had it all and I was such a freak with lots of emotions and I was so depressed and blablabla. I think the smartest thing you could do is just keep calm, express your emotions in a healthy way and remember to treat them with respect, but also respect yourself and not become your emotions.

Simply yes. Emotions shouldn't control the world; logic should. Emotions are a great thing to have; they make humans humans. But logic is, in a scientific veiwpoint, a huge advantage. It's why we have skyscrapers and medicines. Gotta love it. =)

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

As always, I kinda disagree. But only about viewing logic as a scientific thing. Logic is a pragmatic approach. Being able to see patterns and think realistically. I don't think the most logical and pragmatic person in the world is a physician. And I don't think a physician is the most emotionally stable person either.

Oh, that's a good point, IMO. Civilization would suck without emotions.Now, back on topic...How can telling people you have Asperger's syndrome affect their veiw of you? Just a question I thought of.

jimistringer.png

I have AS; I was diagnosed with it back in 1997 (so, five years before I even joined BZP), so you can add me to your list too :P .I usually don't bother telling people that I have it, unless the subject comes up (like now). I suppose part of this is because it's a silly way to introduce myself ("Hello. My name is Kahu Rider 13. I have Asperger's Syndrome."), and part of it's because there isn't a great chance that the person I'm talking to will even know what it is, let alone being able to understand what it's like to live with it every day. It is quite difficult to describe, especially since every case is different. One oft-quoted feature of us Aspies is our tendency to obsess over one specific subject; I don't do this, although I did when I was younger, and even now, my interests aren't exactly 'normal' (I suppose Formula One is the only one of my interests that could be considered mainstream). One of my close friends has also been diagnosed with AS, and he isn't socially awkward at all (although, again, he was when he was younger).So, what about my own experiences? Probably my first main obsession was with numbers: when I was about 4 years old, my parents were walking along a gravel path somewhere, and I stopped them to count how many individual pieces of gravel there were on the path. My parents, not wanting to spend days watching me getting my hands all dirty, stopped me, but I was rather upset by it. Soon afterwards, I started school, where I would encounter these unfamiliar things called "other people"; this was not going to end well. Certainly, when I was maybe 5 or 6, I had no clue at all when it came to interacting with other people. For example, I once told a classmate that she had "crisps in her helmet"; I'm sure it made perfect sense to me at the time. Eventually, I got over this, and instead bored the life out of random people by approaching them and going on about my latest obsession. Eventually, I realized that this was not a good way to win friends at all, and I became embarrassed (I get embarrassed easily; I still get embarrassed by things that I said when I was 7 years old, even though I'm probably the only person in the world who can even remember that they ever took place). I eventually stopped obsessing over specific subjects, but I do still suffer from a lack of common ground with other people: most popular topics of conversation (like music) simply do not interest me at all, and this leaves me feeling left out, and even inferior. This feeling of inferiority is one reason why I don't enjoy going out and meeting people. Why should anyone else waste their time on me? There's a 90% chance that I'm just going to bore everyone, so wouldn't their time be better spent on someone else, who is more interesting? It's completely irrational (the fact that I have friends and enjoy socialising with them should demonstrate this), but I find it impossible to get over it. (Not that I'd suddenly start going out and make 10,000 new friends if I could; I would still find socialising difficult, especially around 'new' people, for other reasons that are also related to my AS.I could go on about this, but this post is getting rather long and rambling, so I'd probably best stop to let you get yourself a drink!

Edited by Kahu Rider 13