Asperger's Syndrome Topic

Master Inika

Hello, I strongly believe I am an aspie, and if not, I defiantly have aspie tendencies. First off, I'm very socially awkward, I have trouble making strong connections with hardly anyone, and people can never tell if I'm joking or serious. I was bullied a lot in my elementary and middle school years, but now in high school people seem to be quite a bit better, but I am still unable to make strong friends. I switched elementary schools in fourth grade because of bullying, and was homeschooled for the second half of middle school because of bullies and generally bad teachers. Secondly, I do have very strong and narrow interests including Bionicle, Doctor Who, Tim Burton films, and Minecraft. They shift every few years, but Bionicle remaines very consistent ever since I got my first one ten years ago. I can go on long rants about these interests, which probably contributes to my lack of strong friends. Thirdly, I have always seen things from a different perspective ever since a young age. In kindergarten, for example, we were told to make a square out of other geometric foam shapes (trapezoids, triangles, etc..) Instead, I put three diamonds together to make it look like a cube. Also, I would draw sky scrapers from a birds eye perspective (literally a different perspective, lol), even though and I have never flown in a plane before then. There are a few more, but I don't want to make a list about my life story. The only symptoms I do not show (I think) are clumsiness and lack of eye contact.

I have just made this connection about a week ago, and the more and more I read about it, the more I feel like I fit into it. However, I am still wondering if getting an "official" diagnosis would do me much good. Yes, it would make me feel much better by having a significant reason why I am so socially awkward, but from what I hear it is a long and complicated process with little results. I feel like I would be dragging my parents and I into an unnecessary and confusing path with the risk of me not having Asperger's Syndrome at all.

Also, it may be difficult to convince my parents to have me see a psychologist to get an official diagnosis, because they seem to not believe in psychologists. They believe that their main goal is to numb everyone on happy pills for profit, which I am sure is not true. However, even though I don't really have a social life, I have a busy extra-curricular life in theater, so seeing a psychologist on a regular basis would be a bit impractical. So, can I please have advise about what to try to do? Thanks.

Edited by Toa Of Virtues

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif