Bionicle: Find the Masks Game

xccj

Bionicle: Find the Masks GameCLICK HERE TO PLAY THE GAME! *teaser01.jpg*teaser02.jpg**teaser03.jpg*teaser04.jpg*

GAMEPLAYThe premise of the game is pretty simple. Each of the Toa need to locate five other Kanohi masks of power in order to defeat Makuta. You can visit each region and help locate the five masks. Once youve found all five masks for a Toa, they will receive their golden Kanohi. And when youve found the masks for all the Toa, youll win the game!All the masks are hidden, although some are more difficult to locate than others. Some will be carried by the vicious Rahi. Others can be retrieved with the help of the local Matoran. Some will require an event to happen multiple times before theyre revealed, and others will require the use of specific tools that can be found in different regions. See if you can locate them all!BACKSTORYThe quest for the masks was one of my favorite aspects of Bionicle in the early days, and so it seemed natural to want to make a game out of it. The game made using Flash ActionScript, and all the drawings, animations, and coding were done by me. (But to be fair, by draw I do mean trace out characters based on their set images or their appearance in the MNOLG) Honestly, the MNOLG was a big inspiration for me to try this. The game isnt nearly as complex as it or some of the other fan games Ive seen in this form, but I had fun making it and I hope you can have fun playing it too.Please feel free to leave comments on the game play or any coding bugs you notice. (Ive tried to make it uncool-dude-proof, and Im a fairly big uncool-dude myself so I was a great tester, but I still mightve missed some things.) I also have help from Swert, Kakaru, 55555, and Velox, who all tested the various stages for me and gave me helpful advice. Please report any issues and Ill either try to fix them or explain how I cant fix them. (Laziness is an important factor in this too. :P )If you want to discuss the various locations of the masks and such, please do so in spoiler tags, because honestly thats the whole point of the game play and I dont want it ruined for new players who start by reading the topic first. But I dont mind giving hints either, since some of the masks are a bit tricky to locate, depending on your skill at these kinds of Flash games. ;)And, in case this topic dies and you dont want to risk reviving it to comment, you can also post in my dedicated blog entry, which can be revived at any time.So anyway, this is what Ive been working on for the last month or so. Have fun, and again, feel free to leave any comments. Thanks!Xccj ~ Jason :music:
  • Upvote 1

Just played through the whole game. :D Pretty clever and simple game that is still a challenge to play. It does make you wonder why Lego never made a game like this.

The only things I would say to fix is to say that you can interact with various parts of the environment as well. I got all the masks you could get from the moving entities and then was completely stumped for a while before I accidentally clicked on something. I also really love the tools aspect, although it frustrated me when I could see the mask in plain sight but couldn't get it for some reason until I found the tools.

The sprites are great and very MNOLG-esque, and I loved the Hapaka. Lego should have put more of those Rahi in MNOLG.

Edited by Click

I like this. The art is reminiscent of the MNOLG, but with a consistent hand-drawn quality that works well. I'm glad you took the time to put in plenty of animations. They are simple, but done well. Not too hard and not too simple; it was a fun way to spend a few minutes. It might be nice to have something to listen to while you play it, though. Anyway, I didn't run into any bugs, it seems simple, but very polished, and great work!

Edited by Keyblade87

I played through twice, the second time was a lot quicker. Once you know where stuff is its very simple, but on the first play I resorted to clicking around randomly. This eventually got me the one hidden in the stalactite for Onua, the one hidden in the seaweed for Gali and the one hidden in the leaves for Lewa. Other than that everything was the right level of difficulty to find, although I agree with Click that it could get a little frustrating when you see the mask and can't get it, at least until you find the tool for it. The artwork is beautiful, really reminiscent of MNOG. I like the way matoran appear in each scene, but never the same one coming back, they keep changing, and we see a lot of familiar faces. Did you think of including the Turaga? The diversity in the Rahi that appear is also brilliant, you've got both ones we saw all the time in MNOG, and some less common ones.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

This is a great game. I wish MNOLG had done all of the other Rahi that you did too. However, I'm stuck on where the Kaukau is for Lewa. Where is it?

Took me a while too; it was the last mask I found.

It is hidden in the top-left part of the screen, in the leaf canopy that covers the screen border. Click around until a bug drops down and releases the mask. I was furiously trying to make Kongu hit the Nui-Rama he was chasing, or use the turtle-like Rahi that drops down from the right-side canopy and lands by the water, to no avail.

I like this game for being simple and having a clear goal. I commend you for your effort to create this Flash game, it has the feel of the classic online games. A few things could use with some minor improvements, though:- Make clickable objects change the cursor when you hover over them, to prevent a forced pixel hunt by clicking absolutely everywhere, even in non-obvious spots such as the trees.- Maybe the masks that were hidden "randomly" like Lewa's Kaukau could instead be moved to the more intuitive objects that otherwise have no direct purpose to their animation?- Clicking swiftly on animated objects restarts the animation every time. This will f.ex make the volcano in Ta-Wahi erupt several times over without actually finishing the previous animation.Apart from this, I enjoyed this blast from the past, with all the good ol' Toa, Matoran and Rahi appearing. Very nice work overall!

I really enjoyed playing through this - it even makes a little attempt at replayability and revisiting past areas, which is nice for a game so small. My only real gripe is some of the unintuitive mask locations - for those of you who haven't played the game yet, I'll spoiler my examples.

Pohatu's stone arch mask and Onua's Kofu-Jaga were probably the least intuitive for me. I guessed that Lewa's Kaukau was in the trees, but even a lot of clicking around didn't find it for some time - not entirely sure why.

This is a great game. I wish MNOLG had done all of the other Rahi that you did too. However, I'm stuck on where the Kaukau is for Lewa. Where is it?

Lewa's Kaukau is hidden up towards the top-left corner of the screen. Click around the leaf border at the top, and one of those MNOLG lightning bugs will appear with the Kaukau.

It took me a while to find too.

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

I also really love the tools aspect, although it frustrated me when I could see the mask in plain sight but couldn't get it for some reason until I found the tools.

I agree with Click that it could get a little frustrating when you see the mask and can't get it, at least until you find the tool for it.

This was partially intentional, in that the easiest masks to locate required extra effort to collect. But clicking and receiving no response can be irksome... perhaps I could include a slight animation showing that you can touch the mask but can't pull it out until the right tool is used.

It might be nice to have something to listen to while you play it, though.

It would be nice, but I have no skill with creating music, and I didn't really want to just rip soundtracks from Templar. :(

I like the way matoran appear in each scene, but never the same one coming back, they keep changing, and we see a lot of familiar faces. Did you think of including the Turaga?

I never really had a good idea of where to include the Turaga, because they mostly stay in their villages, so why would they be wandering around in the wilderness like the Matoran? Glad you liked the variety of Matoran, although some of them, like the lava surfers, do loop back.

- Make clickable objects change the cursor when you hover over them, to prevent a forced pixel hunt by clicking absolutely everywhere, even in non-obvious spots such as the trees.

That is not a bad idea... I don't know the code for that off the top of my head, but I will look that up!

- Clicking swiftly on animated objects restarts the animation every time. This will f.ex make the volcano in Ta-Wahi erupt several times over without actually finishing the previous animation.

Oh, this is a more widespread issue than you would think; almost all the multi-click options do this. I had to tweak a few (like the Muaka and Kofu-Jaga) because the multi-click was causing issues with retrieving the mask, but almost everything else, like the Toa, restart the animation whenever you click on them. I know it's possible to fix some of these, but this is one of those instances where I blame laziness. At the very least, none of the multi-clicks break the code anymore, so yay for that!

- Maybe the masks that were hidden "randomly" like Lewa's Kaukau could instead be moved to the more intuitive objects that otherwise have no direct purpose to their animation?

My only real gripe is some of the unintuitive mask locations

I'll echo the others in that some things were slightly frustrating and unintuitive at times.

This is kind of hard to address. I intentionally made some of the locations "unintuitive" to make the searches slightly harder. Some of those who I've had test this were able to find everything way TOO easily, and others had more difficult, so I guess part of the issue is experience with these kind of games / a habit of clicking everywhere no matter what. I could try to add in some hints to harder locations, such as Katuko's cursor change or a mouse-over animation. See, I don't want to make this game too difficult, like some "Find the Hidden Stuff" flash games I've played in the past... on the other hand, I don't want to make it too easy either. :PThanks again for all the comments, now I have ideas for more tweaks I can make! :music:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...