LEGO DeLorean on its Way

LEGO Cuusoo has announced that the <a href='http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96' target='offsite'>Back to the Future DeLorean TIme Machine</a> set. The set is scheduled for release on July 18 and will feature minifigs of Dr. Brown, Marty McFly, and the DeLorean itself. As a side note, the creators' 1% of the sales will be donated to the Michael J. Fox foundation to fight Parkinson's Disease.View the full article

I'll be honest... that looks pretty bad. Granted, the original model wasn't very impressive, but the whole front of the car looks awful. The rest of it looks neat, but it just looks like very little effort was put into it when it could have been much better.

That being said, I'll still buy it.

OK, BZPower, I'm not sure what the news article is actually about. The BTTF DeLorean Time Machine becoming a set is not news. That set passed review many months ago.What is news is that pictures of the final model have finally appeared, but you didn't even link to those. Here they are. The final model has a staggered hood design to allow the hood module from BTTF Part 3 to be attached. The original version just had it sitting on top of the smooth slope, which would hardly be satisfactory on an actual set. The final model also, interestingly, has reduced the front of the vehicle to seven modules, from the original eight. Certainly shows that the designers weren't afraid to make this model more complex than the average LEGO car.

Great Scot! This is a very welcome development, since I am a big fan of Back to the Future, and the Cuusoo design is really awesome. It's good to see that the DeLorean itself seems to have relatively few changes, apart from the hood. While I do like the new minifig designs, I think the Cuusoo project had even better versions of Marty and Doc Brown from the three movies, so to not get those in addition is a little bit of a disappointment, but it's not a big deal. Still, I'm excited.Also, are my eyes deceiving me, or does the date on the car's dashboard say 1958 instead of 1955? I wonder if that is just an effect of the photograph or an actual gaffe in the design of that piece. :P~B~

Edited by Ballom

Great Scot! This is a very welcome development, since I am a big fan of Back to the Future, and the Cuusoo design is really awesome. It's good to see that the DeLorean itself seems to have relatively few changes, apart from the hood. While I do like the new minifig designs, I think the Cuusoo project had even better versions of Marty and Doc Brown from the three movies, so to not get those in addition is a little bit of a disappointment, but it's not a big deal. Still, I'm excited.Also, are my eyes deceiving me, or does the date on the car's dashboard say 1958 instead of 1955? I wonder if that is just an effect of the photograph or an actual gaffe in the design of that piece. :P~B~

Some members on other LEGO sites have come to the conclusion that 1958 was chosen since that was the date the modern LEGO brick, with stud-and-tube couplings, was introduced.The Cuusoo project's versions of Marty and Doc Brown were indeed very nice, but admittedly because of new molds they couldn't be done in a set through Cuusoo. Since Cuusoo is geared towards niche projects, it is difficult to determine ahead of time how much demand there will be for a LEGO Cuusoo set. So instead of being produced in large batches, LEGO Cuusoo sets are produced in small batches and additional production runs take place according to how well the first few batches sell. If a set doesn't sell well enough for more than a couple of batches, then there won't be enough revenue to cover the cost of a new mold.Mark Stafford, a LEGO set designer, explained it in a Brickset news comment: "Cuusoo sets are produced in batches of 10/20,000 whereas retail LEGO sets are produced with a minimum of half a million sets each. Sales pay for the mold which is a very expensive item - until Cuusoo sets go on sale demand is considered hard to predict, so the rule of no new molds was introduced."I prefer the face and torso designs of the final Marty and Doc Brown minifigures anyway, since they use the standard LEGO eye design. The figures are an excellent likeness of the original actors' portrayal of the characters, without an excessive amount of detail.

It's very generous of the project creator to give there 1% to charity. I feel Lego could've done there bit too, and at least equalled another 1% there. 1% profit on a set like this isn't going to amount to much money I would've thought, but who knows?

I don't think there's any onus on Lego to equal the donation. Sure, it could have been a nice move, but there's no standing etiquette for things like this, and maybe the thought just didn't occur to them. Ultimately one act of charity can't, and shouldn't, be done with the intention of forcing others' hands.

It sure is a nice looking set, all things considered. The figs in particular look fantastic.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

(Wait, why wasn't a picture of the model included?)This was the first project I followed on Cuusoo, and I'm glad that it got all the votes and passed the review and got made as a set. Honestly, I was expecting the official LEGO version to be dumbed down even more than the fan-designed model, so maybe my expectations were just lower, but I'm impressed with it. Also glad that it does come with minifigs after all. Can't wait to get it, and hope its availability won't make it hard to get a hold of. :) :music:

I've never really been that entranced by Back to the Future, so I'll give this a miss.

Kinda disappointing to see stuff like this succeed when so many amazing things are sitting at low support.

And some guy's highly marketable Lego Homestuck proposal still sits at 20 supporters -_-

It feels good knowing I had a hand in getting this in, but I'm not particularly fond of the new hood. The new function it provides is cool, though.

And some guy's highly marketable Lego Homestuck proposal still sits at 20 supporters -_-

Hate to break it to you, but I highly doubt the Homestuck project would pass review. I'll save my reasoning for a more relevant topic.

"There are a thousand ways I could destroy you right now. And 941 of them hurt."

Teridax to Vakama

(Wait, why wasn't a picture of the model included?) :music:

1) Because I'm bad at pictures for news articles. 2) (And it really should be number one) Because my Mom was busy with the computer with the program I needed to upload a photo.

As for its newsworthiness--the release date was announced and I couldn't find anything more interesting. Actual LEGO news for every day is really hard to find now that BIONICLE's down, and the only stuff that other sites consider newsworthy is stuff like the angry minifigs. Which I don't really consider newsworthy by BZP standards, and try to shy away from, since the first place I heard it was on a political opinion TV program. I would like to keep anything remotely political as far from BZP as possible.

How well will you die?

That's how much I follow LEGO news. I wasn't even aware they were making Back to the Future sets until my brother informed me.

©1984-2013 Toaraga EAM

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life

That's how much I follow LEGO news. I wasn't even aware they were making Back to the Future sets until my brother informed me.

©1984-2013 Toaraga EAM

So far, they're making A set. Not sets. It was done through Lego Cuusoo, which means it's a one-off deal unless sales are good and Lego and Universal show interest in continuing the license. But that is happening with Minecraft, so you never know...

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother