Evolution of the Minifig Online Archive

LEGO minifigures have gone through many changes over the decades--some big, some small. Well, if you've ever wanted to see them all lined up for your viewing pleasure, you're in luck: Gizmodo and LEGO have worked together to assemble a massive catalogue of minifigs online. From the first figures released for Town, Castle, and Space sets in the 1970s, all the way up to the expanded Star Wars minifigs from mid-2008, it's a fascinating look back into history. Follow the link above to check it out!

View the full article

... I'm honestly not sure what I'm supposed to get out of this article. The hundred plus minifigure pictures are wonderful, and seeing when some of them debuted is pretty cool. But the year divisions seem arbitrary and there seems to be no organization of the pictures within each year division. And some themes seem to have been cut out from the photos completely. I didn't really like the author's attempt at being funny, either.

So I guess I'll just look at the pretty pictures and ignore everything else.

BZPRPG

Certainly shows the evolution of the minifig, but the list is somewhat incomplete still. I don't recall seeing super battledroids there for example. I think some of the dating is wrong as well, as I'm sure (to name just a couple of examples) battle droids and Hagrid came much earlier than 2006. I guess there also difficulties as to what classifies as a minifigure. There's a complete lack of the Bionicle playsets, and the Xalax lego racers drivers. But do any of those count as minifigures? I would've thought so.

Still, looking at some of the earlier minifigures has given me a lot of nostalgia regarding a castles set I used to play with at my grandparents. Seeing the minifigures made me look it up, and I never realised it was from as far back as 1984, a full decade before I was born. What's perhaps more boggling is seeing how much this set costs from new today.

The list also reminded me of the existance of lines I'd forgotten ever existed, specifically Lego studios. There were 4 minifigs for that theme I recognised, and it sure takes me back.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Yeah, this list leaves a lot to be desired. Some of the figures don't even seem to have the right color hair. There are "unofficial minifigure catalogs" out by the same person who did that comparative analysis of minifigure facial expressions that all the media picked up on, and those are a lot more comprehensive (though I don't know what quality the photos tend to be).