Elemental Versatility

Hey guys,

As I recently went through BS01 in an attempt to brush up my knowledge a thought struck me. Fire is one of the elements that has been used in unusual and creative ways- Fire toa can and have dropped the temperature by absorbing heat and have cushioned their falls by heating the air beneath them.

So my question is this- what unusual ways can you guys think up to use the various other elements? Or is it that fire is the most versitle?

~M

Link to my comic :D

To anyone contacting me, I'm of to Uni soon so I might take time to respond.

I think that they're all pretty versatile, but the first one to come to mind is Ice, perhaps because it's similar to fire in being closely temperature-based. Flash-freeze-shatter, removing cold to heat an area, etc.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Most elements are versatile, but one that comes to mind is air because it can:

-Create Air/cyclones/etc.

-Control air

-Manipulate air currents

-Absorb/control air to create vacuums

etc.

It's pretty versatile because it can do many things regarding air, and you could control other elements as well within reason.

Edited by Phantomesque

Another of these is the seldom recognized gravity. It is waaaay over powered if you think about it. You can reverse gravity to fly, give an object a high or low gravity making it stay on the ground or float in the air, change an objects center of gravity, or move a source of gravity.

Hair back, collar up, jet black, so cool, sing it like the kids that are mean to you!

BzpRpg Profile

Another of these is the seldom recognized gravity. It is waaaay over powered if you think about it. You can reverse gravity to fly, give an object a high or low gravity making it stay on the ground or float in the air, change an objects center of gravity, or move a source of gravity.

Or just, y'know, crush everyone. :lol:

but their spirits

Iron:

You could concentrate the iron in a victim's blood and then rip it from their chest (or head... or stomach... or whatever suits you). However I don't think a Toa would do that since they can't kill their enemies. Maybe they could do that on their arm or hand or something to disarm them, or their foot to immobilize them. This same process could be used to stop bleeding and perhaps make it clot faster.

Gravity:

This would take a tremendous amount of power, definitely too much for a Toa to even have in the first place, even if they have the Nui Stone, but you might be able to briefly increase or decrease the gravity around yourself by a macrocosmic amount for only a nothingth of a second and warp time, allowing you an extra couple of seconds to dodge that bullet that is about to cause you so much trouble. In the process, though, you might just turn yourself into a black hole or something.

Sonics:

1) You could vibrate something at such a frequency that it disintegrates Jericho style.

2) You could vibrate atoms until they catch fire, allowing even metal to go up in flames. Or you could do the opposite and freeze atoms by making them vibrate at a lower frequency, perhaps even immobilizing an enemy.

3) If you let out a frequency at a certain pitch, you could give somebody extreme headaches and nausea, even if the frequency is not within their hearing spectrum, allowing you to attack them without them knowing that they're even being attacked in the first place. In theory, prolonged exposure to this will cause your organs to hemorrhage or in extreme cases even explode.

Psionics:

1) You could create a fake reality within a person's brain that could either make them vulnerable and unconscious, or calm them down so as to reduce stress or shock.

2) You could numb pain.

3) It would take a lot of energy, but you could take control of the brain stem and resuscitate somebody by starting their heart. You could also revive a brain dead person if they've only been that way for a few seconds. Then again, you could do the opposite...

Plasma:

You know what, I'd have to look some stuff up to think of this. Maybe you could somehow use it to cause nuclear fusion which could create a miniature sun, but as great of a weapon as that would be, even a soccer ball sized one would probably wipe out... well... a large enough area that even somebody with a kakama nuva probably couldn't make it out in time.

Sand:

You could skin somebody alive from a distance with a high velocity blast of this stuff. Nuff said. NEXT!

Lightning:

You could create miniscule jolts of electricity in peoples nerves to create muscle spasms or even control a limb, not to mention what you could do to electricity.

Fire is definitely not the most versatile element.

Other elements can probably do cool stuff too, but not much else comes to mind at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Herro there, person.

How are you?

<stuff>

I don't think Bionicles have the exact same organ systems and stuff as humans, so some of those things might not work. And sand is an element?

Anyway, magnetism is pretty versatile. Magnetize an oppenent's arms together, or force him or her to the ground; crush a heavily metal armored being together; magnetize yourself to the ceiling if it has metal, then drop down on your victim; do the same to an opponent, but let him or her stay for a while; all the stuff Gahlok Kal did, and more I can't think of.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

<stuff>

I don't think Bionicles have the exact same organ systems and stuff as humans, so some of those things might not work. And sand is an element?

Well the organs being different doesn't matter, it's about the fact that organs are almost always composed of sensitive tissue and... stuff. I'd have to look it up to remember exactly why the whole sound thing works, but I know that it does.

And yes, on SM and BM, sand was an element, but you probably knew that. I guess you were thinking toa-wise.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

You could concentrate the iron in a victim's blood and then rip it from their chest (or head... or stomach... or whatever suits you). However I don't think a Toa would do that since they can't kill their enemies.
Keep in mind they have no blood. However, Iron Toa could do the equivalent because they do have have metal "bones" and armor. But yeah, they wouldn't.

you might be able to briefly increase or decrease the gravity around yourself by a macrocosmic amount for only a nothingth of a second and warp time, allowing you an extra couple of seconds to dodge that bullet that is about to cause you so much trouble.
If you could make even of a fraction of enough gravity to approach that, the bullet (and even more so for typical MU projectiles) would just fall short anyways, so not likely any need to go to that extreme. :P

Plasma:You know what, I'd have to look some stuff up to think of this. Maybe you could somehow use it to cause nuclear fusion which could create a miniature sun
You could definitely make a ball of plasma to imitate a tiny sun, but they have no power over nuclear physics.My additions:Anything water-vapor-related with Ga-Toa.Electricity forced into a coil shape could make a magnetic field.Aaand, now I'm out of time darn it lol. Maybe more later. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Shadow- make yourself and/or others invisible, blind opponents, attack with shadow energy, possibly teleport using shadows, create some structures from shadow, shadow hand (if you're a Makuta).

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Magnetism. If Magnetism is used on the protons and electrons inside atoms... Kaboom. Gravity as well, as you can just crush things. Really, those elements are basically two out of the four forces, so they can do a lot of stuff. Magnetism in particular.

aouROFb.png

My theory is that Toa of Plasma can control the plasma they make, so they could cause it to emit colored light and shoot off fireworks (4th of July style, although they certainly could do the other kind).

Also they could superheat portions of the air rapidly, causing explosions (Or at least, very loud noise.).

*Reads comments, is amazed at having never thought of plasma toa being able to make miniature suns*

Wow, these are some pretty creative ideas. I wonder how many are feasible in canon? Obviously certain things are too draining on energy and others not really in line with the toa code but things like sonic toa vibrating to cause debilitating headaches are feasible.

Magnetism. If Magnetism is used on the protons and electrons inside atoms... Kaboom. Gravity as well, as you can just crush things. Really, those elements are basically two out of the four forces, so they can do a lot of stuff. Magnetism in particular.

As the positive and negative of protons and electrons refer to their electric charge not magnetic polarity so a toa of magnetism would not be able to do anything like that, the only thing they can do is decide which direction the electron spins which decide the magnetic properties of an element. Even then electron and protons are naturally attracted due to opposite charge, the only thing keeping them apart is the fact that electrons exist in discrete shells around the proton and require high amounts of energy to move from one shell to the other...

/End physics lesson :P

This is of course assuming bionicle physics is similar to the real world.

Edited by Mehul

I like deciding what could happen with Psionics. With people with no morals, you could potentially make them do anything. If Hahli had been a Ce-Toa, the 06/07 arcs would have been over quicker than you could blink.

And that's just with one power listed on BS01.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I like deciding what could happen with Psionics. With people with no morals, you could potentially make them do anything. If Hahli had been a Ce-Toa, the 06/07 arcs would have been over quicker than you could blink.

Are you suggesting Hali has no morals?

No, I'm suggesting that the Piraka and Barraki have no morals.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

I like deciding what could happen with Psionics. With people with no morals, you could potentially make them do anything. If Hahli had been a Ce-Toa, the 06/07 arcs would have been over quicker than you could blink.And that's just with one power listed on BS01.

What does that have to do with Hahli being a Ce-Toa? I mean, sure, she could force them to stop attacking or something, yes. But the morality thing is relevant there too.Are you just saying that Halhi would be more likely to control / have an easier time of controlling their enemies because they were immoral? I don't know if that would factor into her decision or ability to manipulate them. Edited by Chro

but their spirits

I like deciding what could happen with Psionics. With people with no morals, you could potentially make them do anything. If Hahli had been a Ce-Toa, the 06/07 arcs would have been over quicker than you could blink.And that's just with one power listed on BS01.

What does that have to do with Hahli being a Ce-Toa? I mean, sure, she could force them to stop attacking or something, yes. But the morality thing is relevant there too.Are you just saying that Halhi would be more likely to control / have an easier time of controlling their enemies because they were immoral? I don't know if that would factor into her decision or ability to manipulate them.

Maybe she just picked a random toa.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Water. During the mahri saga you could theorize hahli could increase the water pressure around foes very easily.

Now that you pointed it out I just can't believe how OP hali could have been in 2007 though I wonder,perhaps since they are biomechanical would a toa of water be able to crush or injure people with just pressure?

*Reads comments, is amazed at having never thought of plasma toa being able to make miniature suns*

I got that one from a documentary called Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking.

Love that show so much.

What does that have to do with Hahli being a Ce-Toa? I mean, sure, she could force them to stop attacking or something, yes. But the morality thing is relevant there too.Are you just saying that Halhi would be more likely to control / have an easier time of controlling their enemies because they were immoral? I don't know if that would factor into her decision or ability to manipulate them.

Psionics is the element with which you can utilise mind control in order to make other people do things that are not against their morals. With people with no morals, they could potentially do anything, because there is nothing to measure against.

And Psionics > Water, IMO.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

Psionics is the element with which you can utilise mind control in order to make other people do things that are not against their morals. With people with no morals, they could potentially do anything, because there is nothing to measure against.

And Psionics > Water, IMO.

Whoa... mind bomb... totally forgot about the moral limitation. That is awesome thinking, and I should know. Insert "NotSureIfOverlyPridefulOrJustReferringToUsername.png" here. :P

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I think that they're all pretty versatile, but the first one to come to mind is Ice, perhaps because it's similar to fire in being closely temperature-based. Flash-freeze-shatter, removing cold to heat an area, etc.

Can Ice toa remove cold? I thought only Fire Toa could absorb heat.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Can Ice toa remove cold? I thought only Fire Toa could absorb heat.

Well since cold is the absence of heat and ice is frozen water, you have to think about it from a different perspective. Toa of ice are like a mix between Toa of water and reverse Toa of fire. They can control heat, but they can only take it away. They can control water, but with only a very minimal amount of heat. Therefore, in order to absorb or remove cold, Toa of Ice would have to actually make heat like a Toa of fire, giving them two elements right there. Instead, they must draw the heat from the air around them.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

One thing I am surprised no one mentioned is a Toa of Air's ability to control air pressure. For example you could increase the air pressure around a foe to knock them out (I think Kongu used this against Avak once), or decrease the air pressure in just the right way to cause the water in the air to condense into a cloud (for cover or something).

It's been presumed for all these years that yes, Ice Toa can absorb cold energy and therefore allow heat to move in easier. In Ko-Wahi this seems unlikely to do any good, but if Kopaka made ice in Po-Wahi and then absorbed the cold energy, the hot sand should radiate heat more easily into it and melt it into water faster.

Keep in mind that in Bionicle, cold is not merely the absence of heat, but a fictional type of energy. Ta-Toa control heat energy while Ko-Toa control cold energy (plus their materials).

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's been presumed for all these years that yes, Ice Toa can absorb cold energy and therefore allow heat to move in easier. In Ko-Wahi this seems unlikely to do any good, but if Kopaka made ice in Po-Wahi and then absorbed the cold energy, the hot sand should radiate heat more easily into it and melt it into water faster.

Keep in mind that in Bionicle, cold is not merely the absence of heat, but a fictional type of energy. Ta-Toa control heat energy while Ko-Toa control cold energy (plus their materials).

In Ko-Wahi, Kopaka could turn a large block of ice into water by draining its "cold energy" to use against an enemy such as the Bohrok perhaps. He could also use this anywhere else where there is a large amount of ice as well of course.

Bliss.png

Well, there is a reason after all that Toa of Magnetism, Iron, and Gravity are so endangered (relatively speaking, since Toa as a whole are endangered). While it's true we might never see most of these things happen in canon (assuming canon ever gets started again) beause of how lethal they are, against the Toa Code, it would mean that a story revolving around Zaria sometime before Teridax's reign would be very interesting. Oh, the things he could do...

idk man

Just about all the elements are extremely versatile - even those we saw employed in the official story had a lot of their potential uses ignored. Air is probably the most egregiously underused - not only could it mimic sounds to render Sonics near-useless, it can be used to boost everything from agility to strength on top of everything it's shown doing in the story - but some others that come to mind are Iron (for obvious reasons), Magnetism (for the same obvious reasons), and Lightning (as with the right knowledge of science, it can be used to do pretty much anything - including copying Magnetism and Air, and all the powers that come with those). Psionics is also notable because its limits appear to be "anything that can be done with mind control or telekinesis," which is an extremely wide range of abilities - as are Light and Shadow, because their limits appear to be "anything Light or Shadow-themed," regardless of whether or not it has anything to do with creating or controlling the element.But on the other hand, almost any powers, Elemental or not, can be used for a variety of purposes besides "shoot (projectile shape) of (power)." Earth can be used to enhance the user's jumps, cushion their landings, and increase their speed on top of trapping enemies and (apparently) taking very little EE to use. Water can be used for much the same purposes, and drown foes besides. The Kanohi Kakama, though not an element, can be used to make cyclones and air blasts, along with (for the Kakama Nuva) pretty much anything DC Comics' Flash has done. Even Plasma, commonly cited as a "useless" element with Fire in the picture, can let its user fly (and emulate Air) with the proper knowledge of molecular physics.

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

The Kanohi Kakama, though not an element, can be used to make cyclones and air blasts, along with (for the Kakama Nuva) pretty much anything DC Comics' Flash has done.

Flash did a lot of stuff from what I've seen, and I haven't even seen much. :OMG:HOLY DINOSAURS DRIVING FIGHTER JETS!!!

AwesomeThread.jpg

Pohatu Nuva's awesome level is now over 9,000.

Edited by ToaOfAwesome

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I, as starter of this theard appreciate that it has achieved T-rex in fighter jets levels of awesome. Calvin and Hobbes ftw.

Even Plasma, commonly cited as a "useless" element with Fire in the picture, can let its user fly (and emulate Air) with the proper knowledge of molecular physics.

I've always found plasma to be a very vague element simply due to the fact that I'm not very familiar with the properties of plasma.

On one hand fire toa should be able to create plasma, by super heating air, yet keeping in mind "ice energy" there is a possibility "plasma energy" is a distinct requirement in the bionicle universe to create plasma. That is, a fire toa can create plasma but may not have much control and the process might require great concentration like how they can freeze things.

On the topic of specific elemental energy could we suppose toa of sound control sound energy and in essence absorb it from an area causing complete silence? The usefulness of this is debatable but I'm curious about its possibilty...

Also to any moderator who might read this, might I request the title read "Elemental versatility" as currently it reads "varsatility". :dunce:

Edited by Mehul

On the topic of specific elemental energy could we suppose toa of sound control sound energy and in essence absorb it from an area causing complete silence? The usefulness of this is debatable but I'm curious about its possibilty...

Also to any moderator who might read this, might I request the title read "Elemental versatility" as currently it reads "varsatility". :dunce:

Well it would be quite useful for sneaking up on someone, wouldn't it? If no one can hear you, they only have sight to go on. (can Bionicles smell?) Also, I think that is one of the powers of a Toa of Sonics.

Edited by darthme

iNRDRQK.png?1

DANMAG!

BZRPG Profiles

I've always found plasma to be a very vague element simply due to the fact that I'm not very familiar with the properties of plasma.

It's like a superhot version of fire except without the flamey shapes so much. Of course, electricity-caused versions at lower temperatures are very common in flourescent lights.

On one hand fire toa should be able to create plasma, by super heating air

This is a very common question that I got Greg to answer for me back in the day. The fourth state of matter 'plasma' with a lowercase p is a category containing two things, Bionicle-element Fire and Bionicle-element Plasma with a capital P.

Fire is little-p plasma but NOT Big-P Plasma, in Bionicle. Fire reaches the fourth state via combustion burning materials with oxygen (at least), and that explosiveness creates the flame shapes, and the Fire element contains separable control over Heat. Plasma cannot control combustion flames, instead of Heat has Superheat, makes non-combustible gasses only, and the two parts are probably not separable (or at least it's not confirmed to be).

Therefore no -- Ta-Toa cannot make the fourth state merely by superheating air... unless it's in a Nova Blast perhaps.They don't have that much heat. At least for normal gasses. They have to use combustion (making combustible materials plus heat).

yet keeping in mind "ice energy" there is a possibility "plasma energy" is a distinct requirement in the bionicle universe to create plasma.

Sort of, but it's not a different type of energy, it's heat in a much larger amount.

That is, a fire toa can create plasma but may not have much control and the process might require great concentration like how they can freeze things.

Just so it's clear, it's probably best not to use the word plasma to describe what Ta-Toa do just because that's confusing; I'd just call it fire and use "plasma" for the element of Plasma lest there's confusion. Technically the lower-case plasma is always what Ta-Toa make but it's a very different kind than what Big P Plasma Toa make.

And maybe they could superheat a little air without a Nova Blast if they really concentrated like that, yeah, but not a lot. And really, what's the point when they can just make combustion and save themselves a lot of EE and a headache? :P

On the topic of specific elemental energy could we suppose toa of sound control sound energy

That's confirmed (what else is there?).

and in essence absorb it from an area causing complete silence? The usefulness of this is debatable but I'm curious about its possibilty...

What darthme said. You could also inhibit a group of enemies' spoken communication with each other, or take the teeth out of a Kohrak-Kal attack. But yes, it's confirmed they can absorb sound too. All Toa except Ba-Toa and Ce-Toa can absorb their element. (As far as I recall.)

I'll fix the title for you. I would have anyways, actually, it's just I'm having odd connectivity problems on this computer, can't figure out why. It's in and out... *tries*

Edited by bonesiii

You could also inhibit a group of enemies' spoken communication with each other, or take the teeth out of a Kohrak-Kal attack.

Not only that, but you could amplify the sound of enemies voices in order to hear them better. It seems like Sonics are suited much more to a spy-like operative. Of course, if your mission goes bad, you can just make a really awful screeching sound and disable your opponents.

iNRDRQK.png?1

DANMAG!

BZRPG Profiles

You could also inhibit a group of enemies' spoken communication with each other, or take the teeth out of a Kohrak-Kal attack.

Not only that, but you could amplify the sound of enemies voices in order to hear them better. It seems like Sonics are suited much more to a spy-like operative. Of course, if your mission goes bad, you can just make a really awful screeching sound and disable your opponents.
And now we know why the Order recruited Krakua.