IC:

"There's a difference between new terms and concepts universally recognized." The pilot retorted, starting to, now that Gwen wasn't so far past the defensive line, subtly inch back to the relative safety of the Exo-Force battlegroup.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Soho - Tenchi Bridge

"True, true. Well, would you look at us?" Soho commented in as light a way as a robot could. "Discussing such deep and interesting and philosophical subjects. I seldom seem to do this with my more ... mechanical compatriots. I must thank you, Mr. Stein; this has been an invigorating conversation."

Its fingers danced across the controls of its battle machine.

Within moments, Oz's dazzlers were on and running, its shoulders flashing lights which would, if Soho's calculations were correct, stun these two pilots for a few moments.

And a few moments were all it needed.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

When you're talking with a robot that, regardless of how nice it was acting, wanted to exterminate humanity, you pick up on conversation cues real fast. Cues like indications that the conversation was about to come to an abrupt, fatal end. Abraham Stein, not being nearly so trusting as he might have lead Soho to believe, caught the warning signs like bright red flags the instant they started.

And as Soho was delivering his one liner, Abe was acting. 

"Gwen, get moving!" He shouted, not bothering with subtlety anymore, as he fired the rocket launcher on the Up-Lincoln's shoulder at the enemy Fire Vulture, accompanied by a volley of laser fire aimed for its center mass. When the blinders kicked in Abraham was already retreating back towards the allied defensive line. He kept the path up as he blinked rapidly, trying to clear his vision, and sprayed laser fire wildly in the direction that he had previously fired, hoping that even if the first volley hadn't done anything, the erratic nature of his fire would force the enemy unit into evasive actions.

It was directed upwards, and back towards the robot's side of things, so he probably wouldn't hit any allies. He just hoped Gwen was moving too.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC: Gwen - Tenchi Bridge

Maybe I'd been blinded, but I still knew how to fire some gorram rockets and lasers, baby.

The Uplinks had been ... more powerful than Soho had anticipated.

Oz landed, with the screech of metal and the creaking of broken plexiglass, on the surface of the bridge, half a dozen holes burned into its right arm and leg, its left and right shoulders nearly melted away from twin rocket bursts by both Mr. Stein and Gwen Tylers, a left side whose armour was slowly streaming to the ground, and a windscreen with its top-left corner shattered and dripping molten plastic from an unfortunate bout of laser fire.

> Armour integrity: 72%

> Overall power levels: 74%

> Left dazzler: unresponsive

> Gatling gun power levels: 43%

> Left leg: limited responsiveness

> Thruster power levels: 77%

Soho attempted an approximation of a human glower, before moving Oz into the air once more and opening fire on the two humans from its gatling gun.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

Abe's eyes were just beginning to recover when the enemy began firing again. Gatling gunfire lanced across his vision; the Uplinks were best known for their maneuverability, the engineers had told him, the trade-off for their lack of armor. The foreign pilot strained that agility to the max, sending the battle machine lunging to the left. Nevertheless, the gunfire raked down its right side, searing through armor and machinery, the cockpit growing uncomfortably hot. Red hazard lights were thrown up all across the display, a mechanical equivalent of "STOP IT NOW".

Unfortunately, he had neither the ability, nor the desire, to comply.

Essential functions were still operational, but the armor on the right side of the mech was reduced to forty percent capacity. Another volley like that would make it twenty. Another after that... Well. He couldn't let it get to that. 

"Hey, Soho," He said, the Up-Lincoln groaning as he forced it to continue to operate at the highest capacity he could. His fingers moved across the controls with finesse, the smile that usually adorned his face absent. Too far from the defensive line to fall behind it for safety. If he turned his back, he was dead. And given how Gwen had reacted to the last Uplink pilot to do something stupid, she was dead not long after. "I told you before, that humans had a remarkable capacity when backed against the wall. I'm not scared. The question to as yourself is whether you are."

"Dad gave me one more important lesson. Victory goes," What he said earlier had occurred while he assessed the Up-Lincoln's capabilities, but now the machine stood as tall as it ever did. In an instant it was moving, keeping its left side to the enemy as it strafed heavily with its laser cannon, firing off its second rocket. The machine seemed possessed of a will its own, one that refused to be dominated.

And then Abraham's voice roared over the comm link.

"TO THE ONES WITH COURAGE!" 

fK5oqYf.jpg

GM IC:

With the horrible screeching sound of anti-ballistic armor being warped to the point of structural failure in the span of a few microseconds, the armored torso of the Fire Vulture nearly exploded with a spray of internal mechanisms and sparking wires.  Two holes bloomed into existence on either side of its chassis as the sniper shot tore through it.  To say the least, the robot pilot had not expected at all for the humans to focus fire upon a retreating foe, it was... illogical.  However, the machine was still operable to some degree, enough for it to stay in the air and rotate just enough to let off a barrage from its shoulder-mounted rockets.  Though Vanessa wasn't out of effective range, the distance certainly gave her some time to see the flurry of missiles streaking towards her.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Gwen - Tenchi Bridge

Fingers danced across the controls, each keystroke bringing the Loan Ranger closer to coming apart at the seams ... but also closer to victory. Its right arm had already been riddled with laser fire in protecting the cockpit, and its right flank had been reduced to little more than a semi-solid jelly of melted steel. Power levels were in the red, and if we didn't start running on emergency power in the next three minutes, it would only be because the Ranger had gone the way of the Cutie.

But, hey.

It wasn't out of the fight yet.

And neither was I!

I watched Abe's counterattack out of the corner of my eye, and as Soho focused its attention on trying to defend itself, I moved right on in, firing off another rocket and pushing the last of my weapon-related power into my laser cannons, barraging the machine.

Meanwhile, Soho was having a very bad time.

Stein's rocket had blown apart the remains of one of Oz's shoulders, sending the corresponding arm careening into the gorge; his laser fire had ruined one of the machine's legs, leaving Soho with no other choice but to force his mech into a sudden, jerky kneel - and leaving itself only more vulnerable to Tylers' own barrage of laser, riddling Oz's remaining arm with holes and tears. Only her rocket avoided the robot; its sudden change of position had meant that the explosive had sailed just over its top. A small respite, but one that Soho would gladly take.

Now, with only one arm, one leg, one power saw, Oz looked quite the sorry sight. Its EMP cannon might have helped in the circumstances; but its five minutes of charge time were five minutes that Soho seriously doubted that it had.

I fear that it's time, now....

"This has been fun," the robot said, its voice carefully measured, "but I fear I have to get going now. Stein, Tylers; always a pleasure."

With that, Oz's air scoop powered up, and the mech rose into the air, aiming itself to back rapidly away from the frontline.

-Void

• Upvote 1

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: The Hunt, meanwhile, had moved back into the safety of the robot side of the mountain, taking its injured pilot and her more injured cargo with it. It finally landed in the deep, black iron recesses of the summitt, powering down as robot drones rushed forward to begin repairs and take Eli away to a place where he could be healed and confined. God, did she wish she was the unconscious one, Christina thought as a drone helped her limp toward a medic station that had become all too familiar. Why couldn't she just faint from pain?

Excruciating-leg rammed back into its socket, cast pushed over it, mechanical, accurate, but entirely ruthless instruments stiching, cutting, patching up small cuts, wrapping her hip, ensuring the joint wouldn't move-metal digits examining the places where flesh was bonded to steel, ensuring everything checked out, raking over raw skin and cuts, cold travelling into her bones-

An old, battered Stealth Hunter stared at Christina from across the hall as she sat in Holding Block 11, its torn and burnt husk barely held together by the remnants of a black and green paint job, the empty cockpit half destroyed and twisted beyond recognition. She swore she could still smell scorched flesh if she got too close to it. Her scorched flesh. A smile. At least she'd have a place to haunt if she died.

Her attention returned to the task at hand, which was to peel off the ruined combat suit she'd worn in the battle and put on something more presentable. She was entertaining guests, after all. She grimaced as she slid the legs of the suit off of her cast, then winced more as she pulled a pair of shorts back on. #### hip.

Her shirt, at least, was easy enough to get off. No major injuries there. She faced away from Block 100. Elijah probably wouldn't wake up, but there was no reason to take the chance. She pulled the shirt over her head, careful to avoid snagging it on the thick metallic cables that came out of the base of her skull and journeyed back into her flesh at the top of her spine, travelling down to her mechanical arm under the skin. She sighed, rubbing her shoulder at the tangled and twisted line of flesh and steel where her arm hadn't quite healed right. Her right side was patchwork, metal scars taking the place of a small piece of skin here, a destroyed bit of flesh there. She was missing a toe. The robots hadn't seen a need to replace it. Only with her eye had they taken extreme caution, likely due to the delicate mass of neurons that controlled it. The mechanical, glowing green eye in her right socket and the plate that surrounded it were exquisite craftsmanship, bonded to her pale skin beautifully.

And that was when Eli woke up, right as she was pulling a t-shirt on, just in time to catch a glimpse of the irregular, scarred hybrid of metal and flesh that made up Christina's right side.

She turned to him, as if sensing he was awake.

"Admiring your handiwork?"

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Vanessa di Lombardy

"Abe," said Vanessa exasperatedly into the comms as she manoeuvred the Tusculum out of the way of the missile flurry with a flick of her controls, the black mech swinging down under the attack and firing off another shot towards the Fire Vulture, "I already suffered through a crackly VHS of that weird Goldrake ripoff. Don't demean giant robots even more by quoting it in battle."

Edited by Tyler St. Francis

• 3 weeks later...

IC:

"I wasn't aware I was quoting anything." The pilot replied, permitting himself to breathe a sigh of relief as the machine disengaged. Without pausing he maneuvered the UpLincoln back towards the defensive line. "You alright, Guinevere?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"I'm thinking we get out of the line of fire." The foreign pilot commented in a voice that was a little too cheery. "And Vanessa, I haven't the faintest idea. Dad was a dork. Maybe he took it from somewhere."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"Maybe you should start with your own. Or mine." Abraham quipped, though it was hard to tell if he was completely joking or serious. the Up-Lincoln, more damaged than he cared to acknowledge, eased its way back behind the defensive line.

"Van, you got eyes on any bad guys?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

I was about to shoot back with, "But what about everyone else?!" when I remembered that everyone else was still behind the defensive line, where they belonged.

Whoops. 

"Let's get back behind the line, then," I said, switching into super-serious-soldier-mode, easing the Loan Ranger over to where the other friendly mechs were. "I'll see what I can do once we've got some other folks covering us."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

• 2 weeks later...

IC:

"Ah yes, cover. Such a wonderful word." Abe commented, maneuvering the Up-Lincoln back behind the armored forms of his compatriots and letting out a sigh of relief he hadn't quite realized he was holding.

OOC: So, turns out I'm staff in this now. So I'll edit in a response to Garry when I have a minute to craft one.

fK5oqYf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...