Wow. I would have definitely voted for this had you had time to finish it. The clockwork looks amazing but not over the top, and the gold is well placed (although I wish Lego had more brass parts). Although I'm really reaching for criticism, I do think the neck could be a bit thicker. The whole body has such great flow, and then it gets to that skinny neck. I see what you were going for, but maybe some larger pieces would work. The wings could also use a bit more spread to make that shield look less out of place too. Other than that, amazing MOC, and I wish you had made it into the contest.

This would have been my favorite to win the whole thing if you'd entered it in time. I really love the clockwork feel and the gold shaping is superb. I do agree with Click on the thin neck, and would like to add that the torso-wing connection is likewise fairly thin. If those were thickened just slightly, I don't think I could muster up a single qualm.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

This is extremely amazing. The others make a good point about then neck appearing a little bit too thin. A piece of golden armor there or some gears would have beefed it up a little bit. While the wing connections do appear a bit thin at first glance, I realized you had more than one connection made up in the back there it just is not evident if you take a quick look at the photos. I should finish my Steampunk Bohrok someday... Again this looks extremely amazing, excellent work!

bzprovince_zps0d5d507a.png

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!

*Gasps in astonishment*

This is simply amazing. The detail is superb, the color scheme is spectacular, and the use of the gears leaves virtually nothing to be desired. Each gear is where it out to be, not one (as far as my brief assessment would suggest) is extraneous. It really does give it a "clockwork" look. What's more is that the use of pieces, both old and new, is inventive and made me pause to wonder how you even accomplished it.

The light bluish grey tiles nearer to the torso on the underside of the wing/arm may have looked better in gold (like the ones farther out), but I assume you simply did not have enough. Otherwise the color scheme is extraordinarily well done. One other thing that very few people besides myself would bother to do is make sure all ball and socket joints are the same color combination - black ball, grey socket, in your case. Hero factory limbs with included ball joints tend to cause inconsistency (grey on grey), but this design could easily be reworked with different HF limbs and/or some technic. Though in this case it hardly bothers me, and I doubt anyone else cares.

I am unsure if all of the light grey parts can be found in light bluish grey... if so, a consistent grey could look better. On the other hand, a consistent mix as seen here could actually add to the somewhat eclectic and variegated look of the components. As always, I would suggest making each unique part the same color (as with the aforementioned tiles and some of the technic pieces), but nothing jumped out at me (in fact, I had to look closely). Yet you made everything symmetrical, so even if there are changes in the grey type in otherwise identical pieces, it looks fine.

The build is nearly perfect with the exception of the wings; they lack articulation. They look great, but you have to detach a support in order to fold them. Not such a big deal, but something to consider if you plan on improving the MOC or making another bird someday. The "feathers" themselves would have been better if they could have been individually oriented... perhaps instead of the perpendicular axle-connectors, use a ball and socket combination in their place. This would require the rest of the wing design to be adapted somewhat, but the basic construction could remain quite similar (a brilliant design to begin with, I might add).

As you can tell from the length of this post, and from the far less obvious fact that I seldom comment on other people's MOCs nowadays, I am truly impressed. It's a shame that this couldn't be entered into the contest, I would have expected it to win. I've seen a lot of bird MOCs in the past weeks, but nothing has even approached the level of ingenuity and perfection that this MOC represents.

a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

This looks what I think Songbird looks like, skinned.

The wings are pretty hastily cobbled together and functionless, the legs are beefy and non-birdlike, and the neck is just no.

But who even cares.

The gears are so cool looking, and the colours and the "eyes" and the form. Just a really cool looking creation all around.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Wow. I would have definitely voted for this had you had time to finish it. The clockwork looks amazing but not over the top, and the gold is well placed (although I wish Lego had more brass parts). Although I'm really reaching for criticism, I do think the neck could be a bit thicker. The whole body has such great flow, and then it gets to that skinny neck. I see what you were going for, but maybe some larger pieces would work. The wings could also use a bit more spread to make that shield look less out of place too. Other than that, amazing MOC, and I wish you had made it into the contest.

The reason for the thin neck was to make it similar as the supports for the wings. I can easily be thickened

This would have been my favorite to win the whole thing if you'd entered it in time. I really love the clockwork feel and the gold shaping is superb. I do agree with Click on the thin neck, and would like to add that the torso-wing connection is likewise fairly thin. If those were thickened just slightly, I don't think I could muster up a single qualm.

See my reply to Click. Thickening the connections with the wings would make it even less movable as it is now (Even to no movement at all)

This is extremely amazing. The others make a good point about then neck appearing a little bit too thin. A piece of golden armor there or some gears would have beefed it up a little bit. While the wing connections do appear a bit thin at first glance, I realized you had more than one connection made up in the back there it just is not evident if you take a quick look at the photos. I should finish my Steampunk Bohrok someday... Again this looks extremely amazing, excellent work!

The two connection points were necessary to support the weight of the wings.

*Gasps in astonishment*

This is simply amazing. The detail is superb, the color scheme is spectacular, and the use of the gears leaves virtually nothing to be desired. Each gear is where it out to be, not one (as far as my brief assessment would suggest) is extraneous. It really does give it a "clockwork" look. What's more is that the use of pieces, both old and new, is inventive and made me pause to wonder how you even accomplished it.

The light bluish grey tiles nearer to the torso on the underside of the wing/arm may have looked better in gold (like the ones farther out), but I assume you simply did not have enough. Otherwise the color scheme is extraordinarily well done. One other thing that very few people besides myself would bother to do is make sure all ball and socket joints are the same color combination - black ball, grey socket, in your case. Hero factory limbs with included ball joints tend to cause inconsistency (grey on grey), but this design could easily be reworked with different HF limbs and/or some technic. Though in this case it hardly bothers me, and I doubt anyone else cares.

I am unsure if all of the light grey parts can be found in light bluish grey... if so, a consistent grey could look better. On the other hand, a consistent mix as seen here could actually add to the somewhat eclectic and variegated look of the components. As always, I would suggest making each unique part the same color (as with the aforementioned tiles and some of the technic pieces), but nothing jumped out at me (in fact, I had to look closely). Yet you made everything symmetrical, so even if there are changes in the grey type in otherwise identical pieces, it looks fine.

The build is nearly perfect with the exception of the wings; they lack articulation. They look great, but you have to detach a support in order to fold them. Not such a big deal, but something to consider if you plan on improving the MOC or making another bird someday. The "feathers" themselves would have been better if they could have been individually oriented... perhaps instead of the perpendicular axle-connectors, use a ball and socket combination in their place. This would require the rest of the wing design to be adapted somewhat, but the basic construction could remain quite similar (a brilliant design to begin with, I might add).

As you can tell from the length of this post, and from the far less obvious fact that I seldom comment on other people's MOCs nowadays, I am truly impressed. It's a shame that this couldn't be entered into the contest, I would have expected it to win. I've seen a lot of bird MOCs in the past weeks, but nothing has even approached the level of ingenuity and perfection that this MOC represents.

a_peace.png

I posted a clockwork here before two years ago. On that MOC I remembered some tips that people gave me about making a successful clockwork creation. They told me not to place gears at random places where they make no sense at all and if you place gear make sure they look functional. Another tip was to use armor (in this case the gold) to give the impression that there is more mechanics beneath it. I can't link you to the old topic because the archives are still down. But those tips really helped to take a new approach in on the genre (even if it was two years later).
Those light bluish parts you mentioned can be replaced to gold ones. . I could change the ball joints to light grey ones, but that would require me to order some (and I'm not the guy who really make orders to finish a moc, instead doing it with the parts I have). The light grey ball joint also have less friction what would cause the wings and other limbs to fall of more easily.
The color combination of light grey and light bluish grey was necessary as I didn't have all of them in one color (especially with the older gears from the Toa Mata-sets and even sets before those).
I had the idea of articulated wings (wing movable feathers like they could spread out and the wing being able to fold up) but every design was unable to support the weight of the wing. That's why I used two connection points instead of one. Giving up articulation for aesthetics. With those two supports I could have been able to use the ball and socket connection for the feathers but again my supply of parts is not unlimited. I used every light grey ball socket I have in this moc and would run out of ball sockets too.
Yes like said before I'm not someone who will make orders to make the MOC more perfect as I want and will instead go for alternatives. I really appreciate the feedback you gave me, because now I could give the reasons behind some aspects of the MOC what I wouldn't normally write down. Thank you

This looks what I think Songbird looks like, skinned.

The wings are pretty hastily cobbled together and functionless, the legs are beefy and non-birdlike, and the neck is just no.

But who even cares.

The gears are so cool looking, and the colours and the "eyes" and the form. Just a really cool looking creation all around.

You have no idea how many people mentioned Songbird...I didn't really care for the anatomy of the creation. Instead I only tried to at least resemble a bird.

I had a signature once

it's gone now

I'll just say this right here: you've made many awesome things over the years, Sparky, but this bird is without a doubt one of your best MOCs.For starters, the color is awesome, especially when you integrated all of the various pieces, such as the Rocka shields on the wings, the numerous gold Ninjago swords for the wing and tail feathers, the Metru shoulder armor beak, and the claws on its feet. You got a very good beak shape (complete with bushing nostrils!), but those empty gold dishes for the eyes are the only tiny blip on the radar -- I'd recommend covering them up with some round stickers, preferably in white, for scleras and pupils. Eris's Eagle Interceptor, if you were to get that set, has a pair of good stickers that should fit the bill.Otherwise, I'm very impressed with all the gears, pistons, and even turntables that you integrated into the bird. I also really like the feet; they're good and sturdy, with some nice gold cladding and gears built into them, and I'm sure they support the MOC well. It's just a pity that its wings can't fold, but hey, they sure look cool.As I've said on Flickr in my earlier comment, if you had been able to enter this MOC, it would definitely have deserved first place in BBC #65. Ah well, c'est la vie. Thanks for posting it here, though, Sparkytron. After your incredible eagle from last year, I didn't think you'd be able to top yourself in the avian department, but you sure did. Keep up the good work. :D~B~

• 2 weeks later...

This MOC is amazing and i do love all the gear you put on it plus it fit the MOC well, the color with Gold and Light Gray is mostly a color i don't see in a lot of MOCs and i do love the use of pieces you used for the wings and not using them as weapons. The head is great and i do give it a Steampunk look to it.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube