The Official Music Topic

many thanks to -Windrider- for approving this~

this topic will be for general discussion of music and music-related things - what artists you like, genres you enjoy, albums you're excited for, concerts you've seen, songs you can't get out of your head and just wanna talk about - this is the place.

Music-Related Topics:

- Official Metal Topic

- Official Music Collection Topic

- Official Recent Musical Purchases Thread

- What Are You Listing To At This Very Moment?

- Rate The Song Above You

Edited by Chelsea Wolfe
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. I'm really liking the '40s/'50s radio tunes that both Fallout 3 and New Vegas use. I'd say my favorite by far of 3 would be Roy Brown's "Butcher Pete". (Which is used in Fallout 3. So fun sounding, yet with the lyrical matter. A dichotomy, I believe it to be called.)

For NV, oddly, I seem to gravitate more to Peggy Lee's "Johnny Guitar". Does get very tiresome after a while, though.

Also, as some may know: I love Led Zeppelin. :P

Edited by Pantera

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

So, the word from a recent interview is that Ian Anderson and/or Jethro Tull may do a hard rock/metal album at some point in the future. Many fans of the band have wanted something like this for a long time, though I'm not quite sure why they've been so adamant about it.

Still, if it's got Martin on guitar, it should be pretty awesome.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

my as well copypaste my list over from another site:

Adolescents, Against Me!, Agalloch, The Agony Scene, Alice in Chains, The Armed, At the Drive-In, Bad Religion, Bauhaus, Beastie Boys, Beastmilk, The Beatles, Black Breath, Black Flag, Blood Has Been Shed, Johnny Cash, Chvrches, The Clash, Clutch, Converge, Crystal Castles, Cult of Luna, The Cure, Dead Can Dance, Dead Hearts, Dead Kennedys, Deafheaven, Deftones, Death, Depeche Mode, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dir en Grey, Echo & the Bunnymen, Editors, Enter Shikari, Every Time I Die, Evocation, Fear Factory, Fugazi, Garbage, Gojira, Grimes, Headstones, In Flames, Iron Maiden, Michael Jackson, Joan Jett, Joy Division, Katatonia, Killing Joke, King's X, Kvelertak, Cyndi Lauper, Living Sacrifice, M83, Machinae Supremacy, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Minor Threat, Misfits, My Bloody Valentine, Nails, New Order, Nice Hooves, Nine Inch Nails, Norma Jean, Oak Pantheon, The Offspring, Opeth, Queen, Ramones, Rancid, Rush, Sadistik, Sepultura, Silversun Pickups, Simple Minds, Sixousie and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy, Skeletonwitch, The Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Sonic Youth, Sybreed, Tears for Fears, Tegan and Sara, Thrice, Trap Them, The Velvet Underground, Chelsea Wolfe, and Zao.

I listen to a lot more artists than that, but those are the ones that I either consider absolute favorites or have been listening to more than anything else as of late.

Edited by Ryuujin

Agreed. I'm really liking the '40s/'50s radio tunes that both Fallout 3 and New Vegas use. I'd say my favorite by far of 3 would be Roy Brown's "Butcher Pete". (Which is used in Fallout 3. So fun sounding, yet with the lyrical matter. A dichotomy, I believe it to be called.)

For NV, oddly, I seem to gravitate more to Peggy Lee's "Johnny Guitar". Does get very tiresome after a while, though.

Also, as some may know: I love Led Zeppelin. :P

my absolute favorite songs from fallout 3 are the instrumental ones, like fox boogie and swing doors

i could listen to swing doors all day

so guys how about that evan weiss fellow who fronts into it. over it.

they're a pretty cool band

only in dreams.

I mostly listen to progressive rock/metal, alternative rock, and gothic rock/darkwave.

Clutch

Ah, yes. You got me into these guys. I tried to find some of their stuff but it was out of stock. :( Edited by Sinclair

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

Guess might as well list some of my favourites:

AC4, Alice Cooper*, Amon Amarth, Anathema, Angizia, Anthrax, Björk, Boris*, Bruce Dickinson, Chris Vrenna, Clan of Xymox, Clutch, Cult of Luna, Dark Age, The Dead Brothers, Dead Can Dance, Death, Devin Townsend*, The Dresden Dolls, earthtone9, Emilie Autumn, Emperor*, Frank Zappa, Front Line Assembly, Ihsahn*, The (International) Noise Conspiracy, Iron Maiden, John Coltrane, Judas Priest, Katatonia, King Diamond, Kvelertak, Massive Attack, Mastodon, Mayhem, Mercyful Fate, Midori*, Moonsorrow, My Dying Bride, Nice Hooves, Nine Inch Nails, Ornette Coleman, Paradise Lost*, Portishead, Primal Rock Rebellion, Rage Against The Machine*, Ramones, Refused*, Roky Erickson, Shotgun Messiah, Skinny Puppy*, Skold, Starofash, The Stooges, Strapping Young Lad, Stuart Chatwood, Tim Minchin, Tom Waits, Velcra, W.A.S.P., White Zombie, Yoko Kanno

*Absolute favourites

Anyhow, I've been listening to a lot of industrial/electro-industrial lately in the form of Skinny Puppy, who are an incredible band and are quickly becoming one of my favourites. Last Rights is one of my top albums at this point. Definitely recommend them to anyone into industrial or darker electronic music.

Anthrax, Clutch, Dead Can Dance, Death, Dir en grey,  Front Line Assembly, Gojira, Iron Maiden, Katatonia, Kvelertak, Life of Agony, Mastodon, Nice Hooves, Nine Inch Nails, Opeth, Ramones.

<3

Peggy Lee is great. She has some great stuff outside the two big hits of Why Don't You Do It Right? and Johnny Guitar.

Those two games really do have great music.

Edited by Ghost of Romance

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

honestly have never particularly cared for Modest Mouse

don't dislike em but they've never clicked with me either

anyway, what are everybody's favorite albums of the year so far?

if I had to narrow it down to 5, in no particular order I think mine would be Earth Rocker by Clutch, Nice Hooves by Nice Hooves, Flowers for My Father by Sadistik, Meir by Kvelertak, and Endless Fantasy by Anamanaguchi

but I also liked Construct by Dark Tranquillity and Heartthrob by Tegan and Sara a lot

honestly there are a ton of albums I still need (or want) to check out that'd almost definitely make my list

the new Deafheaven and Palms' self-titled debut, for example

Edited by Ryuujin

Well, my top 5 would probably be Earth Rocker by Clutch, Weapon by Skinny Puppy, Vertikal by Cult of Luna, Burn the World by AC4 and The Last Spire by Cathedral.

Echogenetic by Front Line Assembly will probably worm its way on there on repeated listens too.

Other than that and outside the albums I mentioned in the metal topic, I'm actually kinda digging the new Mindless Self Indulgence album, which I will admit with no shame.

And yes, I've still got a ton of stuff to check out, like the new David Bowie, Nick Cave, Steven Wilson and Tesseract albums.

Oh, and I also still need to listen to the new Megadeth so that I can laugh at it and see just how horrible it is. It's not very high on my priorities list however.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

My favourite album of the year so far is definitely The Next Day by David Bowie. That being said, I haven't exactly bought vast quantities of new music this year (or, really, vast quantities of music at all), and I do still have high hopes for the new Turisas album, which, as far as I am concerned, is untitled.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I knooow, I keep hearing wonderful things about it and I want to pick it up but I just can't find it anywhere

there's only one record store near me and they don't carry it, no Best Buy within 50 miles, the only place near me that should have it is FYE and they don't

sucks, I'll probably end up having to listen to it online even though I really would rather not

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone hear listen to or like Psychedelic Rock? Granted I sound like some hippie but some of it is really interesting. The Beatles produced a few trippy things especially "revolution 9" I think I heard that music in a creepypasta once. Currently I'm looking through some of The Black Angels tracks right now I like "Bad Vibrations", "Young Dead Men", and "Science Killer" but I want to find other artists who do psychedelic rock. Also does anyone still listen to the Gorillaz? They have a new album out and I want to know if it's any good.

Edited by The Scanty Panty

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

since when have they had a new album out?last one I remember them releasing is The Fall in 2011

My mistake, I was talking about The Fall didn't it had been out since 2011. Anyway are still good? The last songs I heard were from their albums Demon Days and Plastic Beach.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

American bands I listen to... Dream Theater. They are so progressive and excellent in their song-writing and playing... they are just masters. I'm excited for their next studio album coming out this year too.

I tend to listen to a lot of J-Rock, Visual Kei, K-Pop though... Two favourite artists right now are NoGoD and KARA. They have singles coming out tomorrow (well I guess today technically) and I'm super excited! :)

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

My music tastes tend to be pretty broad, hehe.

Goes from various kinds of rock and metal to EDM and drum n' bass etc to country, pop and off-beat bands.

Interests include but are not limited to:

Kamelot

Iron Maiden

BoA

Steam Powered Giraffe

Adele

Lindsey Stirling

Unknown Error

Two Steps

X Japan

Yoshiki

Johnny Cash

Volbeat

Dream Theater

Symphony X

Ayumi Hamasaki

Rammstein

Moonspell

Deep Purple

And much much more.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I listen to a sort of a weird mix of stuff. For the longest time, most of the stuff I listened to regularly was by Mike Oldfield. Some of my favorites of his albums were "Voyager", "Tubular Bells II", "Music of the Spheres", and "The Songs of Distant Earth". So mostly his instrumental stuff, though I still do listen to some of his vocal music from time to time.I also listen to some more specific fandom-related stuff. Currently I have The Gothic Archies' "The Tragic Treasury" (I blogged about this waaaaay back when my blog here was themed around A Series of Unfortunate Events), the songs Cryoshell created for BIONICLE, the BIONICLE Power Pack, and as of last year, loads and loads of Ninjago music (I've currently got over two and a half hours of music from the Ninjago soundtrack). Most recently I got the soundtrack to Book One of The Legend of Korra as well, and it is amazing.But this spring I went to an event called Cloudsdale Congress, which more than anything else has shaped the music I listen to. I was captivated by the volume and quality of the fan-created music within the brony community. I have maybe six hours of brony music currently (not including official songs from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic). I think it's a real shame that the LEGO community doesn't have more fan-created music of this caliber, or really ANY considerable fan-created music scene.Since we can do YouTube links now, let me share one of the brony songs I really really love, "Until the Sun":http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pOHvWX8c6Vs

I usually listen to prog rock, alt rock, gothic rock, darkwave, and random metal. Mostly it's the following:YesColdplayRushMuseSiouxsie and the BansheesThe Alan Parsons ProjectClan of XymoxThe CruxshadowsMetallicaBlutengelPink FloydDream TheaterGenesis

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

I tend to follow music by artist/bands rather than genre, although I do seem to have a preference for rock, folk and country. If I hear a good song from an artist I'm likely to check out more of their work.

Artists/bands I've found to my liking are:

Mark Knopfler: The guy's just an amazing guitar player and songwriter.

Recommended listening: Boom, Like That and What It Is

Driftless Pony Club: If you've ever heard of the youtube star Wheezywaiter, you've already heard of this band. He's the lead singer.

Recommended listening: There Were Buffalos on the Ark and Circuit Us

Billy Joel: His songs always manage to invoke great emotions in me, whether it be sadness, joy or serenity.

Recommended listening: Piano Man and It's still Rock and Roll to me

Hellbillies: A norwegian rock/country band.

Recommended listening: På Ål Stasjon and Sur som Rognebær

There's more, but these are my absolute favorites

Edited by Geardirector

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Well Sinclair, I can't seem to like Pink Floyd either, for those reasons you gave for Zeppelin.

But have you listened to the Chuck Berry/Elvis-inspired (rather covers) songs by LZ? You should look up C'mon Everybody/Something Else from Royal Albert Hall by them. (C'mon Everybody is by Eddie Cochran, btw)

I can suggest many more songs of those don't work for ya. :P

Edited by Pantera

Led Zeppelin?

Ugh, I just cant get around to listening to his solo stuff, kinda like any other thing Phil Anselmo does like with Down, or even his new solo band called Phil Anselmo and the Illegals. They released their first album Walk Through Exits Only recently, I believe.

Overall, I should look into singers' solo projects sometime. lol

Led Zeppelin?

Some unpopular musical tastes incoming!

3 Doors Down

Anacrusis

Breaking Benjamin

Chevelle

Demon Hunter

Device

Disturbed

Fight Or Flight

Five Finger Death Punch

Fozzy

Kansas

Lordi

Megadeth

Oingo Boingo

Ra

Ramin Djawadi

Red

Sabaton

Skillet

Stone Sour

Styx

Tally Hall

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Ryuujin, I still hold you singularly responsible for entirely shaping the groundwork for my taste in music. Lordi, Disturbed, Demon Hunter, Fozzy, 5FDP, Chevelle, Anacrusis...every single one of those was introduced to me by you. And I sincerely thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ryuujin, I still hold you singularly responsible for entirely shaping the groundwork for my taste in music. Lordi, Disturbed, Demon Hunter, Fozzy, 5FDP, Chevelle, Anacrusis...every single one of those was introduced to me by you. And I sincerely thank you.

please for the love of god stop saying that and leave me alone

Edited by Ryuujin