The Official Music Topic

Whitesnake, Scorpions, Europe, Tears for Fears, OMD...

The list goes on.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

• 2 months later...

So... anyone want to list their albums of the year so far again?

Das Seelenbrechen by Ihsahn is my album of the year by far.

Other top 10 candidates include Vertikal and Vertikal II by Cult of Luna, Weapon by Skinny Puppy, Earth Rocker by Clutch, Burn The World by AC4, Nice Hooves by Nice Hooves, Echogenetic by Front Line Assembly, Meir by Kvelertak, IV by earthtone9, Aenigma by In Vain and Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

I also really enjoyed Pain Is Beauty by Chelsea Wolfe, INVSN by INVSN, Abandon All Life by Nails, Seventh Swamphony by Kalmah, Coal by Leprous, Circle by Amorphis, One of Us Is the Killer by The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Last Spire by Cathedral, Mind Control by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, Blodsvept by Finntroll and How I Learned... by Mindless Self Indulgence.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

my favorites of the year in no particular order: Flowers for My Father by Sadistik, One of Us Is the Killer by The Dillinger Escape Plan, Sunbather by Deafheaven, Abandon All Life by Nails, Climax by Beastmilk, Pain Is Beauty by Chelsea Wolfe, The Bones of What You Believe by Chvrches, Serpents Unleashed by Skeletonwitch, Earth Rocker by Clutch, Dethroned & Uncrowned by Katatonia, Meir by Kvelertak, Wrongdoers by Norma Jean, Nice Hooves by Nice Hooves, Construct by Dark Tranquillity, and Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails.

Edited by Ryuujin

So... anyone want to list their albums of the year so far again?

Seasons of Your Day by Mazzy Star. ^_^

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

• 3 weeks later...

Can I just take a moment here to profess my love for a certain artist

I think it started back in 2010/11. We were in the car on the way home from a visit to our grandparents, and I was looking through dad's album collection to see if I could find anything interesting.

The album that caught my eye was one called "Sailing to Philadelphia"

So I popped it in and picked the title track of "Sailing to Philadelphia", and I really enjoyed it, but didn't think it was anything extraordinary, but I liked it enough that I decided to go through the album from beginning to end.

And that's where I heard the first Mark Knopfler song I ever grew to love.

"What It Is" had fantastic guitar play, a lovely beat, good vocals, and exquisite and well thought out lyrics. I instantly fell in love with it, and wanted to find more of his work.

My dad, already a huge Knopfler fan, introduced me both to his extensive solo work, and his work in the days of Dire Straits. Around every corner I'd find a new song that I absolutely loved: Sultans of Swing, Boom, Like That, Speedway at Nazareth, Tunnel of Love, Brothers in Arms, Quality Shoe, the list goes on and on.

Since then, no musician has been able to mezmerize me the way Mark Knopfler does. Just the way he plays the guitar is magic to my ears, the truly brilliant way he manages to bring me across the emotional spectrum, with a wide variety of musical styles and lyrical skills at his disposal.

From Rock, to Country, to Folk, to Blues, Knopfler does it all with pinpoint expertise and unparalelled passion and effort put into his music.

Truly a rare man is he, Viva Knopfler.

Edited by Dr. O

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

So, apparently Ian Anderson has a new album set to come out in the second week of April. Details are sketchy at this point, though it seems to be confirmed as an Ian Anderson album, not a Jethro Tull one, which is a bit of a shame in a way. Still, the word 'metal' has been thrown around once or twice by the man himself in reference to the project (along with 'folk' and just 'rock'), but I'll believe that detail when I hear it.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 3 weeks later...

So, apparently Ian Anderson has a new album set to come out in the second week of April. Details are sketchy at this point, though it seems to be confirmed as an Ian Anderson album, not a Jethro Tull one, which is a bit of a shame in a way. Still, the word 'metal' has been thrown around once or twice by the man himself in reference to the project (along with 'folk' and just 'rock'), but I'll believe that detail when I hear it.

maybe he meant it in a led zeppelin proto-metal kind of way

only in dreams.

I rather doubt that Ian Anderson would have referred to work along those lines as metal - he seems to value a certain degree of precision in communication, so that sort of distinction would have been made.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this would be the best place to bring this up, so here goes.

Any particular opinions here on Todd in the Shadows? Personally I quite enjoy his reviews, his "One Hit Wonderland" series in particular, it's thanks to him that I discovered the recent addition to my music library, The Proclaimers.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

so my 2013 Album of the Year, Seattle alternative hip-hop artist Sadistik's phenomenal sophomore album Flowers for My Father, is available to download for free from the Fake Four label Bandcamp today only.

I encourage everybody to check it out, regardless of your feelings on the genre. it's an incredible, beautiful piece of work and one of the realest and most emotional albums I've ever heard.

Edited by Ryuujin

I'm really into electronic music and anime soundtracks, so my favorite album of 2013 would definitely have to be the Kill La Kill soundtrack. It's composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, who did the Attack on Titan, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, and Blue Exorcist soundtracks, amongst others. It's beautifully made.

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Cure have officially announced that the album they recorded simultaneously to 2008's 4:13 Dream will finally be released within the next few months.

the tentative title is 4:14 Scream and it's the second half of the double album they planned all along, with 4:13 Dream being the "light", poppier side and this new one being the "dark" side more reminiscent of albums like Disintegration.

That's cool, I'll definitely be checking that out.

What albums is everyone looking forward to this year? I haven't really been keeping up with what's set to come out in 2014.

So far I'm looking forward to the new Devin Townsend, Vallenfyre, Mastodon, Opeth, Clan of Xymox and Judas Priest.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I'm looking forward to 4:14 Scream by The Cure, At War with Reality by At the Gates, La Gárgola by Chevelle, and the currently-untitled new albums by The Agony Scene, Machinae Supremacy, In Flames, Mastodon, The Smashing Pumpkins, Opeth, Enter Shikari, and The Birthday Massacre.

also curious to check out Vallenfyre's new one because Kurt Ballou is producing it, and there have been rumors of new albums by Paradise Lost, Social Distortion, and Gojira. I'm hoping for (but not counting on) new albums by Katatonia, M83, Converge, Deftones, and Meshuggah among others.

admittedly, I'm also kind of curious for the new Slipknot album as well.

Edited by Ryuujin

I'm looking forward to 4:14 Scream by The Cure, At War with Reality by At the Gates, La Gárgola by Chevelle, and the currently-untitled new albums by The Agony Scene, Machinae Supremacy, In Flames, Mastodon, The Smashing Pumpkins, Opeth, Enter Shikari, and The Birthday Massacre.

also curious to check out Vallenfyre's new one because Kurt Ballou is producing it, and there have been rumors of new albums by Paradise Lost, Social Distortion, and Gojira. I'm hoping for (but not counting on) new albums by Katatonia, M83, Converge, Deftones, and Meshuggah among others.

admittedly, I'm also kind of curious for the new Slipknot album as well.

Haven't heard the rumours about Paradise Lost, but from what I know they only started writing the next album after the last tour, so it's very unlikely we'll see it this year. They've been pretty busy with the 25th anniversary tour, plus Greg and Adrian are doing the Vallenfyre album (and Adrian is also with At The Gates).

I'll definitely be checking out the new At The Gates and probably The Birthday Massacre as well.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Chino Moreno said in an interview that Deftones will be taking the rest of the year off and won't begin writing new music until early 2015. so much for the possibility of a new album this year, unless they finally release Eros.

update: Chino has confirmed that the interview, while released this month, was actually done sometime in 2013. he further confirmed that Deftones will be writing and recording new material for release either late this year or early next.

Edited by Ryuujin

• 2 weeks later...

you should listen to the rest too

i mean hesitation marks is sweet but the rest is all just as amazing

i finally listened to all of jane doe by converge today

that title track

i was never able to listen to all of it because i just wasnt feeling the abrasiveness of that whole album

but when i got to the first "chorus" of jane doe, i was in awe

mfw:

http://replygif.net/i/537.gif

Edit: >500 kB gif linked.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

only in dreams.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

bringin it baaaaaaaaack

I've been really into Crowbar lately, Kirk Windstein puts all of his soul into a sludgy doomy heavy metal package that is emotional and still like 8 different kinds of brutal

odd fellows rest is the album I'm referring to specifically. Its so good

only in dreams.

Seems like a good time to ask for everyone's favourite albums this year so far.

My favourite is still Ghouleh by Starofash which is a fantastic art pop/neoclassical darkwave album that I'm really hoping will get a physical release eventually. So far it's only available on her bandcamp.

Other great releases have been Casualties of Cool from Devin Townsend's new project, Splinters by Vallenfyre, The Satanist by Behemoth, Longhena by Gridlink, Xenon by Mechina and Oi Magoi by Hail Spirit Noir.

Matters of Mind, Body and Soul by Clan of Xymox, The Joy of Motion by Animals as Leaders and Shogunate Macabre by Whispered aren't too shabby either.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

not sure whether to talk about them here or in the metal topic since they've always struck me as leaning more toward the hardcore side of metalcore, but Every Time I Die released a new song, "Thirst", and the details of their upcoming album From Parts Unknown a few weeks ago.

song slays, as expected, and hearing Kurt Ballou's production applied to Every Time I Die is like a dream come true. also the album art is absolutely glorious and probably my favorite of theirs so far.

on an unrelated note, I downloaded Whenever, If Ever by The World Is a Beautiful Place a few weeks back when it was free on Bandcamp and I finally got around to giving it a listen. I like it, pretty sweet album but I'll be honest and say that the vocals are grating at times and overall I don't find it to be near as amazing as people are making it out to be. maybe it'll grow on me and I'll "get" the hype eventually.

Edited by Ryuujin

new Death Grips album (well, half an album) dropped outta nowhere and it is legiiit, solid as heck and better than Government Plates

also, I've given Whenever, If Ever a couple more listens and as predicted it has grown on me and so have the vocals

edit: Weezer have announced a new album, apparently titled Everything Will Be Alright in the End. it's being produced by Rick Ocasek, who produced the blue and green albums, plus Hurley was great so I'm cautiously optimistic.

edit 2: new Every Time I Die album has apparently leaked and the response I'm seeing so far is absolutely MASSIVELY positive, p much everyone is calling it ETID's best album and an Album of the Year contender, I even saw one guy call it "Every Time I Die's Jane Doe". so now I'm pretty much amped

Edited by Ryuujin

• 3 weeks later...

not sure whether to talk about them here or in the metal topic since they've always struck me as leaning more toward the hardcore side of metalcore, but Every Time I Die released a new song, "Thirst", and the details of their upcoming album From Parts Unknown a few weeks ago.

song slays, as expected, and hearing Kurt Ballou's production applied to Every Time I Die is like a dream come true. also the album art is absolutely glorious and probably my favorite of theirs so far.

on an unrelated note, I downloaded Whenever, If Ever by The World Is a Beautiful Place a few weeks back when it was free on Bandcamp and I finally got around to giving it a listen. I like it, pretty sweet album but I'll be honest and say that the vocals are grating at times and overall I don't find it to be near as amazing as people are making it out to be. maybe it'll grow on me and I'll "get" the hype eventually.

I haven't heard it yet, I'm waiting for the album to drop so I can go in blind and have my mind blown apart

I also heard Brian Fallon is appearing on it and I'm a huge Brian Fallon fanboy so that's amazing also

in reply to the whenever if ever part: I heard Picture Of A Tree That Doesn't Look Okay and thought rest of the album would be equally amazing so I kinda feel the same

but I feel like it was worth it anyway because picture of a tree is exceptionally good

that part when it reaches the crescendo and the gang vocals come in ("WHERE DO THE ECHOES FROOOM THE ECHOES GOOOOOO")

the first time I heard that was almost a religious experience

only in dreams.

been diggin the heck outta The Austerity Program's new album Beyond Calculation, so much that it may end up on my year end list

great combination of noise rock, old school post-hardcore, industrial, and metal from a band that used to be on Hydra Head Records

also it's free on their bandcamp

Edited by Ryuujin

The new album by Fire! Orchestra - Enter - is phenomenal. Experimental big band/vocal jazz/free jazz at pretty much its finest. I might actually like it even more than Exit from last year, and it's close to overtaking Starofash's Ghouleh as my album of the year so far.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___