The Official Music Topic

i agree with everything in that statement

so i saw the gaslight anthem on sunday (my third time) and they killed it, like they always do

saw people moshing to great expectations, never thought id see that

then after them was the replacements and they had the energy of dudes in their mid-20s, it was incredible

then pearl jam, and they just played a bunch of the new album and other stuff not from ten or vs. or vitalogy

like no betterman or jeremy

i guess eddie vedder would rather cover neil young and tell people to register to vote than play pearl jam's good songs

they played alive, daughter and even flow though, that was cool

it was alright though, the band sounded good and i discovered that the best replacements song is androgynous...tied with a bunch of other ones but androgynous is really really good

only in dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

what has everybody been listening to lately? anything in particular?

I've been listening to Weezer a lot since they just dropped their new album, but mostly I've been gettin into the October spirit with a lot of gothic rock, deathrock, darker strains of post-punk, etc. and some doom metal and atmospheric melodeath as well.

Katatonia, Megadeth, Thin Lizzy and Anacrusis mostly, along with the songs you sent me by some of said gothic rock bands.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

• 2 weeks later...

the song "Puppet Show" by Avatar mixes circus music with death metal

good band, good song, but not death metal.

melodic death metal. 

Avatar's first few albums were melodic death metal (which itself is pretty different from just death metal). Black Waltz and Hail the Apocalypse, however, are more groove metal than anything else.

Edited by Ryuujin

the song "Puppet Show" by Avatar mixes circus music with death metal

good band, good song, but not death metal.

melodic death metal. 

Avatar's first few albums were melodic death metal (which itself is pretty different from just death metal). Black Waltz and Hail the Apocalypse, however, are more groove metal than anything else.

you win this round

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

this ought to make at least one other person around here happy: Refused are working on a new album.

I just recently picked up their last album The Shape of Punk to Come and gave it a listen, and though I'd be lying if I said that I loved it as much as everyone else seems to, I did enjoy it (and who knows, maybe it'll grow on me even more) and I look forward to seeing what they do next. I also need to dig into their back catalog a bit.

unrelated to that, we're nearing the end of the year and there have been a handful of major releases within the past few weeks, so now seems like as good a time to ask this again as any: favorite albums of the year so far, people?

in unbiased, alphabetical order I've dug Transgender Dysphora Blues by Against Me!, Distant Satellites by Anathema, At War with Reality by At the Gates, Beyond Calculation by The Austerity Program, La Gárgola by Chevelle, The Powers That B - Part 1 by Death Grips, From Parts Unknown by Every Time I Die, IV - One with the Storm by Ghost Brigade, Plowing into Fields of Love by Iceage, Shadows of the Dying Sun by Insomnium, El Pintor by Interpol, Phantom Shadow by Machinae Supremacy, Run the Jewels 2 by Run the Jewels, Ultraviolet by Sadistik, Ultra Silvam by Ştiu Nu Ştiu, Heathen by Thou, and Evertything Will Be Alright in the End by Weezer more than anything else I've heard this year. still have a few things I need to check out though, and there are at least a couple more albums I'm interested in that haven't been released yet.

Edited by Ryuujin

I'm waiting for something official on the Refused album before I start getting excited, but yeah, if it's real then it's huge. It's a shame that Jon had to leave the band for whatever reason and whatever happened between them, but Dennis and David have pretty much always been the real brains behind the music, so I have faith in them.

I don't know how something could possibly live up to TSoPtC and 15+ years, but I'd be all over it the moment it came out it.

As for favourite albums of the year thus far, my list hasn't really changed all that much.

In the top tier I have Ghouleh by Starofash, by Devin Townsend, Noise by Boris, The Satanist by Behemoth, Casualties of Cool by Casualties of Cool, Splinters by Vallenfyre, Enter by Fire! Orchestra, Longhena by Gridlink, Esoteric Warfare by Mayhem, Once More 'Round the Sun by Mastodon, Piano Nights by Bohren & Der Club of Gore and the soundtrack to The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth by Ridiculon.

And then other worthwhile stuff includes Our Time Will Come by KMFDM, Xenon by Mechina, Ultra SIlvam by Ştiu Nu Ştiu, Oi Magoi by Hail Spirit Noir, Matters of Mind, Body and Soulby Clan of Xymox, The Joy of Motion by Animals as Leaders, Shogunate Macabre by Whispered, Distant Satellites by Anathema, Bliss*cough* by Trap Them, Regicide by Hour of Penance, The World We Left Behind by Nachtmystium, Pale Communion by Opeth and The Black Wild Yonder by Words of Farewell.

There's still stuff I have yet to hear like the new At the Gates, as well as stuff that hasn't come out yet, like the new Bloodbath and Machine Head.

The new Goto Mariko album comes out tomorrow, on my birthday coincidentally, but I don't know how easy it will be to get to listen to that since it will only be released in Japan.

Also I can't really even pretend that I'm anywhere near into her solo pop stuff as much as I was into the erratic hardcore punk/jazz fusion thing she was doing with Midori, but I'm still interested in the new album.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've already asked the favorite-albums-of-the-year question to death, but since it is the actual end of the year now..

..I'll ask what everybody is looking forward to in 2015 instead.

I'll edit this with my list once I actually bother to do enough research to know what's confirmed to be coming out next year. the new Anthrax is one that immediately springs to mind, though.

Edited by Ryuujin

I'm super excited for the new Refused if it's true, Ihsahn, Paradise Lost, Anthrax and... that's about everything I'm aware of.

I'll almost certainly listen to the new Slayer album, but can't really say that I'm particularly excited for it.

Alice Cooper is also doing a covers album, but again not really super excited considering it's just a covers album.

Can't really think of anything else announced for next year.

Should probably look into it, but as usual towards the end of December, I'm trying to fit in as many albums from the year as I can before it ends. Especially this time, since I kinda lost interest in music for a large part of the year and haven't listened to nearly as much stuff as I should have.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

two hours of googling, digging through news articles, skimming interviews, and making lists later..

I'm interested in The Mindsweep by Enter Shikari and Apex Predator - Easy Meat by Napalm Death in January, Time and Trauma by 36 Crazyfists in February, Extinct by Moonspell and as-yet-untitled albums by Disarmonia Mundi and Testament in March, and the as-yet-untitled Faith No More and Paradise Lost albums in April.

artists with albums that are confirmed to be in the planning, writing, recording, or post-production stages for 2015 that I'm interested in are The Agony Scene, Alice in Chains, Anthrax, The Armed, Beastmilk, Blood Stain Child, Clutch, Danzig, Deafheaven, Death Angel, Deftones, Faith No More, Fear Factory, Gojira, Grimes, Katatonia, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Meshuggah, My Dying Bride, Nails, Obsydians (ex-Sybreed), Samael, Silversun Pickups, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sodom, Soilwork, Soundgarden, Ştiu Nu Ştiu, Swallow the Sun, Tegan and Sara, Chelsea Wolfe, and Rob Zombie.

I'm also interested in seeing if anything comes of the rumors that Converge, The Cure, Iron Maiden, and Refused are planning new material. Kreator has also said that 2015 is the earliest they'll release anything else, but so far no specific plans for that have actually been announced.

Edited by Ryuujin

Extinct by Moonspell [...] and Paradise Lost albums in April.

[...] Anthrax, Beastmilk, Clutch, Deafheaven, Gojira, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Nails,Ştiu Nu Ştiu, Swallow the Sun, Chelsea Wolfe and Rob Zombie.

I'm also interested in seeing if anything comes of the rumors that Converge, The Cure, Iron Maiden, and Refused are planning new material. Kreator has also said that 2015 is the earliest they'll release anything else, but so far no specific plans for that have actually been announced.

Well, there's my list then.

Thanks a lot for sharing that, it was actually really helpful. Knew about almost none of those.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

you'd be surprised how far along some of these already are, too - I know I was. the Chelsea Wolfe albums is already recorded and in the mixing stages, My Dying Bride has been in the studio for months, and Swallow the Sun has had all the material for their album written for over a year. they've been working out some contract issues with Spinefarm Records for a while, but they say those are almost resolved and they'll be recording it soon. somehow all of this managed to slip under my radar until now.

Rob Zombie's all done recording his, too. he said he could've released it this year if he had wanted to, but he decided to wait until early 2015.

Edited by Ryuujin

Anthrax,Clutch, Danzig, Death Angel, Katatonia, Megadeth, My Dying Bride, Swallow the Sun.

also looking forward to the new Slayer, and news of Iron Maiden, Metallica, and I thought I heard King Crimson was working on something new but maybe I'm worng. Gonna have to google the prog stuff and see what's upcoming.

Edited by The Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

I've already asked the favorite-albums-of-the-year question to death, but since it is the actual end of the year now..

..I'll ask what everybody is looking forward to in 2015 instead.

I'll edit this with my list once I actually bother to do enough research to know what's confirmed to be coming out next year. the new Anthrax is one that immediately springs to mind, though.

Best of 2014: Hymns for the Broken- Evergrey and The Quantum Enigma- Epica

Worst of 2014: In Flames' new album Siren Charms is just awful. I can handle them changing styles, but the songs are just cringe-worthy and it might possibly be the last album I ever purchase from them.

Releases I look forward to in 2015:

Metal bands:

-Trivium - Crucial Taunt

-Symphony X

-Kamelot

Not-Metal Bands:

-Breaking Benjamin

-The All-American Rejects

-Red- Of Beauty and Rage

I'm super excited for Red and Trivium out of those though. Those bands are phenomenal! (I wish I could've seen Trivium live, but Red is amazing live!)

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

All-American Rejects and Brekaing Benjamin have confirmed releases next year? I knew BB probably would but I hadn't seen anything official, and I've heard nothing about AAR in ages. Stoked for both, if they are true.

Really excited for the rumoured Camel album to come out, too. I's been 12 years since their last, but Andy Latimer says they've been working on some new material and he hopes for another album soon. Let's pray that 2015 is the year- I need more Camel in my life.

E8c8QpP.jpg

All-American Rejects and Brekaing Benjamin have confirmed releases next year? I knew BB probably would but I hadn't seen anything official, and I've heard nothing about AAR in ages. Stoked for both, if they are true.

Really excited for the rumoured Camel album to come out, too. I's been 12 years since their last, but Andy Latimer says they've been working on some new material and he hopes for another album soon. Let's pray that 2015 is the year- I need more Camel in my life.

AAR is releasing a new album? HECK YEAAAAAAAAAH!

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Well...I don't know if BB and AAR are for sure releasing them in 2015, but I did read that they are for sure in the process of writing/recording new material for new albums. So here's hoping that it's released this year! :D

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Wow, this is great news! Though didn't they release a re-recording of The Snow Goose recently?

Wow, this is great news! Though didn't they release a re-recording of The Snow Goose recently?

They did in fact do so, as well as a supporting european tour. I need to get that album from somewhere and see how it compares to the original some time. just won't satisfy the craving for new camel though

E8c8QpP.jpg

They did in fact do so, as well as a supporting european tour. I need to get that album from somewhere and see how it compares to the original some time. just won't satisfy the craving for new camel though

Yeah, I've yet to check it out myself, though I've heard really good things about it. But new material > re-recordings, for sure.

I personally cannot wait for Thomas J. Bergersen's second solo album, Sun. Knowing him, it will be a masterpiece, blending a lot of styles of music from all genres and time periods.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Chelsea Wolfe has officially confirmed that her new album, titled Abyss, will be released this year. absolutely stoked beyond belief, if it ends up being as good as what she's done so far it'll be a potential Album of the Year for sure. I do hope it's a bit more like Apokalypsis than Pain Is Beauty, though.

• Upvote 1