• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Is Galidor Worth it?

Galidor Sets

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 18-February 13
  • 1,275 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 07:01 AM

Hi guys,

I might be picking up some Galidor sets from a friend soon, and I would like your opinions on the sets. Whether they're fun to play with, etc.

14612551615_f885b55eb5_o.jpg

|+| Flickr |+| MOCpages |+| Facebook |+| YouTube |+|

|+| Rock Raiders United |+| SOLISMagna |+| Tumblr |+| TTV |+|

#2 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 08-December 12
  • 1,320 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 07:44 AM

Galidor are horrible LEGO sets. If you want something like Bionicle, don't even think about it. If you're getting them because they are LEGO, and for no other reason, stop right there and don't get them.

However, they are very good action figures. If you look at them, and don't associate them with LEGO, they are quite good.

In short, bad LEGOs, good action figures.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#3 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 06-August 10
  • 1,715 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 08:00 AM

Honestly Galidor isn't as bad as everyone says it is. I mean, it's not amazing, certainly, but it's all right.

Posted Image

#4 Offline Captain Caboose

Captain Caboose
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 07-December 12
  • 1,543 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 12:39 PM

Just looking at them, I see something completely different to what Lego does. In fact they look nothing to what Lego does. Right now I see action figures that could have been made by another company, other than Lego.

But if you want them go ahead. But I I'd say they are not for it, since if i bought one, I'd sell it.

BZPRPG Profiles

Flaredrick Seria - Potas -'Jet Fire' -'Razor'- 'Infector' - Reso 'Vo - Kasrar 'V- Ludvin va Betravo - Vallen Tor - Molvr Kalr

#5 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,811 posts

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 12:49 PM

Galidor was basically designed not as a building toy, but as a series of action figures with an interchangeable parts gimmick which doubled as a slight building component. The parts are compatible with LEGO (they attach with integrated Technic pins in a "click hinge" style similar to the click hinges in the Bahrag/Makuta sets or the Knights' Kingdom II constraction sets), and have even been expertly integrated in some MOCs, but buying the sets for their building potential is not a very good bet unless you're one of those builders who delights in creatively using awkward and specialized parts.Searching "Galidor" on Brickshelf or Flickr brings up some examples of creative MOCs using Galidor parts.The story was all right, so if you look up recordings of the TV episodes on the Internet you might even see some value in buying the toys for the characters themselves, as you might do for any other brand of action figure. In truth they're high-quality as far as action figures are concerned, though I imagine the click hinges could be somewhat distracting during role-play. If you imagine a large action figure with interchangeable parts and the material, mold, and color quality you'd get in a LEGO set, that's more or less what Galidor parts are.If there's a TDN Module among the sets, could you take some pics for me? I've been wanting to build one in LEGO System and the pics available on the Internet are not all ideal for reference. For instance, I think there's a hatch in the back, but have never found any pics of it open.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time, Jul 03 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Offline Makaru

Makaru
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Senior Not So Grump

• 15-March 03
  • 11,572 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 01:07 PM

Galidor is amazing. Don't believe the haters.

Lego killed Galidor for Bionicle. Never forget.

15863389948_205b2ce1e0.jpg

Yes I can see now, we're having fun in the end

Now it all makes sense

#7 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 14-March 03
  • 19,350 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 01:17 PM

If you're getting them for free, you might as well accept them and see what you think. You'll be a better judge of that than other people with different preferences. :P

If play value is all you want, then honestly the usual criticisms you'll hear people give are probably irrelevant -- they move and stuff like any action figure. If MOCing is what you want it'll be much more of a challenge but I've seen a few good uses online.

Edit: And oh hey this goes in Sets... moving...

Edited by bonesiii, Jul 03 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#8 Offline Toaman25

Toaman25
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 12-August 12
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 01:26 PM

Two letters. No.

Farewell, Bionicle.com    :biorules:

You will always be remembered.

#9 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 18-February 13
  • 1,275 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 03:26 PM

If there's a TDN Module among the sets, could you take some pics for me? I've been wanting to build one in LEGO System and the pics available on the Internet are not all ideal for reference. For instance, I think there's a hatch in the back, but have never found any pics of it open.

No, sorry. It would be (these are doubles, BTW) Nepol, Gorm (McD promo), Kek Powerizer, Jens, and Jens (McD Promo). The sets altogether that my friend has (some are incomplete) are: the previously mentioned sets, Gorm, Gorm deluxe (incomplete), Nick (incomplete), Ooni (incomplete), Nepol McD Promo, Euripides (incomplete), and Nepol and Shimmel.

EDIT: Actually, he might have the TDN module. After closer inspection to the photo, the wings that I saw don't go to Nick deluxe, but rather to the TDN module.

Edited by Wasp, Jul 03 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#10 Offline -SZ-

-SZ-
  • Premier Member
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 24-April 06
  • 2,824 posts

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 05:27 PM

This makes me happy. :P

Posted Image

#11 Offline Manterax Prime

Manterax Prime
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 12-December 05
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 03 2013 - 07:05 PM

Galidor is good.  Not great, but not horrible as everyone says either.  It's a line designed around Nick glinching ability from the show.  In short, it's a gimmick line, but the figures aren't sacrificed.  I say take them.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection?  Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

#12 Online Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 2,334 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 11:11 AM

The other day a thought occured to me. Do you think Galidor might have been slightly more successful if Bionicle hadn't launched first? Lego came up with Galidor to follow up on Bionicle's success, but it's possible many potential customers may have passed on it due to Bionicle already satisfying their demand for Lego action figures. I don't expect it would have been a success in that case (too many other issues with the theme, not the least of which was the delayed television debut in countries other than America and Canada), just perhaps less of a failure.

Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#13 Offline Bfahome

Bfahome
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • Not currently at home

• 01-February 08
  • 6,037 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 11:18 AM

I used to think Galidor was just a heap of blah, but having acquired a few Galidor pieces at BF NE, my opinion has shifted slightly.  The giant torso pieces are ridiculous and I can't vouch for how they'd look or function as assembled figures, but the design of the pieces is actually pretty good and I want to incorporate some of them in future MOCs.

Oh the hero comes I can hear the drums and the horses drawn to the kingdom come through the pale moonlight
Our hearts ignite to the call
Posted Image
Claim your prize for a crown of stars in the name of love be the sacrifice you and I will stand and fight
Our backs to the wall

#14 Offline Toa Zaz

Toa Zaz
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 14-July 10
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well, as far as the construction aspect goes, they're horrendous. They're practically standard one-piece action figures. So, in that regard, I guess they're okay to play with. Not sure why anyone would want to play with toys based on that awful tv show, though...

#15 Offline Arpy

Arpy
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Pahrak-Kal Melted

• 09-January 02
  • 4,530 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 08:02 PM

Galidor is love, Galidor is life. The sets are fun to mish-mash, and the MOCing possibilities are actually not bad.

(No Tom Lynch is not paying me to say these things how desperate do you think I am to repay my student loans?)

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

#16 Offline Scuba slizer

Scuba slizer
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 12-February 10
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 08:59 PM

If there's a TDN Module among the sets, could you take some pics for me? I've been wanting to build one in LEGO System and the pics available on the Internet are not all ideal for reference. For instance, I think there's a hatch in the back, but have never found any pics of it open.

My brother has the TDN, There is no hatch on the back, but there is a hollowed out section used to grip it.

My HF Short Story: Betrayal Reversal: http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=3481

#17 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 18-February 13
  • 1,275 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 11:00 PM

(No Tom Lynch is not paying me to say these things how desperate do you think I am to repay my student loans?)

Very, very desperate. :P

#18 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 13-October 12
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 20 2013 - 10:57 PM

Play with: no

Building MOCs: no

Weapon pieces for MOCs: yes

The Ship thingy: maybe

image.php?u=47115&dateline=1334913320

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui: 
Flickr 10.gif MOCpages 10.gif Youtube

#19 Offline XONAR

XONAR
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 04-January 13
  • 936 posts

Posted Jul 20 2013 - 11:05 PM

It really all depends on what you like to collect! Galidor sets may hold greater value in the future. You never know.

Posted Image

#20 Offline Damaracx Caratas Xarian

Damaracx Caratas Xarian
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 08-November 11
  • 2,025 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2013 - 04:47 AM

Two letters. No.

[color=#ff0000;]The opposite of this comment's last word.[/color]

#21 Offline T.B.O.C

T.B.O.C
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 21-April 07
  • 2,370 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 22 2013 - 05:28 AM

Man, I always liked Galidor. I'd say get them, and if you don't like them, find someone to sell them too. 

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

#22 Offline Sir Guurahk The Third

Sir Guurahk The Third
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 13-December 11
  • 506 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 24 2013 - 03:40 PM

Are you getting paid for it? Then ask your friend to double the price and then take them. :P

The look so much like MegaBloks. XD

-G u u R a h K

#23 Online Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 21-March 06
  • 2,334 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 24 2013 - 05:43 PM

Are you getting paid for it? Then ask your friend to double the price and then take them. :P

They don't look like any sort of blocks at all, actually. They're action figures.

Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#24 Offline The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 18-February 13
  • 1,275 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 25 2013 - 05:45 AM

They don't look like any sort of blocks at all, actually. They're action figures.

I think what he was trying to say was the fact that they looked similar to the Mega Bloks action figures (i.e. Halo).

#25 Offline Sir Guurahk The Third

Sir Guurahk The Third
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 13-December 11
  • 506 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 25 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think what he was trying to say was the fact that they looked similar to the Mega Bloks action figures (i.e. Halo).

Yes, exactly. Dat stuff is just... guh. :P

-G u u R a h K

#26 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Another Chir Brother

• 04-September 06
  • 4,811 posts

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 11:47 AM

Are you getting paid for it? Then ask your friend to double the price and then take them. :P The look so much like MegaBloks. XD

I didn't even realize Mega Brands' Halo action figures were even still being marketed under the Mega Bloks brand name. I guess it's just my age talking... when I was growing up, Mega Bloks action figures (Blok Bots, Neo Shifters, etc.) were more along the lines of either BIONICLE sets or the Knights' Kingdom constraction sets from LEGO.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 Offline Sir Guurahk The Third

Sir Guurahk The Third
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 13-December 11
  • 506 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 01:33 PM

Are you getting paid for it? Then ask your friend to double the price and then take them. :P The look so much like MegaBloks. XD

I didn't even realize Mega Brands' Halo action figures were even still being marketed under the Mega Bloks brand name. I guess it's just my age talking... when I was growing up, Mega Bloks action figures (Blok Bots, Neo Shifters, etc.) were more along the lines of either BIONICLE sets or the Knights' Kingdom constraction sets from LEGO.

They actually have a very little MegaBloks logo on the corner. The Halo logo stands out much more. 

And talking about NeoShifters, I used to believe they were BIONICLE sets too. lol

Edited by Predator - Jungle Hunter, Jul 26 2013 - 01:33 PM.

-G u u R a h K

#28 Offline boston48

boston48
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 15-July 13
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 01:42 PM

Yes... definitely not as attractive. I didn't like the ones I got. 

#29 Offline Booman7736

Booman7736
  • Members
  • Toa

• 21-March 09
  • 183 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 31 2013 - 02:19 PM

I don't think you'll like Galidor toys unless you liked watching the Galidor television series. http://www.youtube.c...ube.49EUR6LSUCY Usually, people don't like Galidor toys because they think they're the worst kind of Legos ever created compared to every other lego set ever invented. But I hope you like them though. Galidors are cool figurines. B-)  What I like the most about Galidors is mixing and matching different parts.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users