• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim mecha giant robots

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Elric of Melnibone

Elric of Melnibone
  • Members
  • Toa

• 147 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 03:58 AM

So. Guillermo del Toro. Giant monsters getting punched by equally giant robots. Homages to old school mecha and kaiju flicks like no tomorrow. Promised rocket punches.

Anyone else hyped to go see this? Looks fantastic, gonna try to see it on the opening day,

hElbrZ6.gif

#2 Offline MakutaSardrox123

MakutaSardrox123
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 56 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, the movie looks great. I'm definatley hyped. Hopefully it will be good enough to "tie me over" until Legendary Pictures' Godzilla next year.

"I think enough hands have been removed this year."

-The Shadowed One, BIONICLE Adventures 10: Time Trap

#3 Offline The Legendary TNT

The Legendary TNT
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 665 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 07:45 AM

YES! This movie makes me want to cry with happiness just by watching the trailers. I don't even care if the storyline turns out to be trash, it looks worth it just to see giant ugly monsters fighting kick-butt giant robots! And by the looks of it, the storyline looks good, too! :D  :D  :D

new_sig_legacy_2.png

#4 Offline ChroXumo

ChroXumo
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,701 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 02:20 PM

Friend of mine saw it at some viewing party thing last week. He said it was great.

Chro: Dream Killer

MOCpages
➠ flickr
YouTube

Dreife of the Nine Gold Blades

#5 Offline Makaru

Makaru
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Senior Not So Grump

• 11,303 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 02:41 PM

Even if this movie is bad (it won't be), I am still going to love it to death.

13432482545_b80a31ed8e_n.jpg

Can you lose to me in a rap battle? Shoryuken! ~K. Masters

#6 Offline dcresistance

dcresistance
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 8 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm going to go see it with my girlfriend the day after release in theatres. Conveniently, that day will also be the day that marks our six months together.

Sappiness aside, I'm really excited for this movie. It's looking to be fantastic, and even better in IMAX 3D.

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

#7 Offline Terminus

Terminus
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 428 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm excited for this, I'll probably go and see it sometime between when I see Despicable Me 2 with my family next week and Red 2 with my friends in a couple of weeks. I've seen all the trailers, and it looks awesome. Definitely going to be a better live-action giant robot flick than Transformers.

gallery_60140_160_32168.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4811-7119-1466 / PSN ID: khsora546 / Steam: terminus2495 / Nintendo Network: Terminus2495 / PM Me to add me
Currently Playing: ~ Muramasa Rebirth ~ Hyperdimension Neptunia V ~ Watch Dogs ~ Infamous: Second Son ~

My Anime List ~ My PSN Profile

#8 Offline TNTOS

TNTOS
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,975 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 05:05 PM

I cannot wait to see it. It looks freaking awesome.

-TNTOS-

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." -Michelangelo

A Writerly Blog
The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness
(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)
{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)
(In the End Updated 07/28/14) (Review Topic)
The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

#9 Offline Arpy

Arpy
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Pahrak-Kal Melted

• 4,529 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 08:06 PM

I am excited for this movie because it makes no pretensions about what it's going to be. It doesn't have aspirations of an Oscar or attempts at using Shia La Beouf for human interest or weighty metaphysical arguments explained by punching or obnoxious symbolism or fifty years' worth of franchise lore simultaneously weighing it down and being thrown out the window. It is a movie about robots and monsters punching each other and blowing things up and you should go see it.

But if the Jaegers do not have bombs I will be so, so disappointed.

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

#10 Offline Makaru

Makaru
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Senior Not So Grump

• 11,303 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 05 2013 - 10:09 AM

Also, can we talk about GLADoS the highly advanced Jaeger AI for a second here?

13432482545_b80a31ed8e_n.jpg

Can you lose to me in a rap battle? Shoryuken! ~K. Masters

#11 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,872 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 05 2013 - 12:16 PM

I movie about giant robots beating up giant aliens? From Guillermo del Toro? And starring Ron Perlman?

Yeah, I'm in.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#12 Offline -SZ-

-SZ-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,824 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 06 2013 - 12:04 AM

Also, can we talk about GLADoS the highly advanced Jaeger AI for a second here?

It is GLADoS. Apparently del Toro and Valve have an in.

citation needed.

Posted Image

#13 Offline Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime
  • Members
  • Lehvak-Kal Launched

• 4,834 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 06 2013 - 12:39 AM

Looks cool so far. I want to see it. It actually captures the epic scale of mecha battles and shows the effects in real detail, unlike the cartoons that show only boulders and fire as the collateral damage.

Edited by Axilus Prime, Jul 06 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#14 Offline jala12

jala12
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Collapsed

• 4,377 posts

Posted Jul 06 2013 - 01:50 PM

The most excited I have been in a long time for a movie. Can't wait until July 12th. I hope the movie does well both financially and critically.

evangelyne.jpg

#15 Offline HAZMAT

HAZMAT
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Flying Force!

• 2,365 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Jul 06 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hoping I can see the midnight 10pm-the-previous-day IMAX premiere, it all depends on if my friend can get off work or not that day

#16 Offline Hewkii Inika

Hewkii Inika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 09 2013 - 08:10 PM

Holy Kanohi, I am SO looking forward to this movie!  :D I've been looking forward to it since I saw early footage for it at the 2012 Comic-Con, and every trailer since has made my eyes explode with awesomeness. I'm going to see it opening day with my dad. If I could, I would see it in the midnight showing, but unfortunately my dad doesn't like staying up that late, and he really wants to see it with me. 3 more days! Cannot. WAIT! 

Bionicle Park Tycoon 2!
IT'S FINALLY HERE!

#17 Offline Elric of Melnibone

Elric of Melnibone
  • Members
  • Toa

• 147 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 11 2013 - 04:27 PM

Going to see a 7PM showing tonight. Anyone else seeing it today?

hElbrZ6.gif

#18 Offline HAZMAT

HAZMAT
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Flying Force!

• 2,365 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Jul 11 2013 - 05:45 PM

10PM, in Imax

also I got the NECA Gipsy Danger and Crimson Typhoon figures

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW

edit: I'm back, it was awesome! Only complaint is Jaegers aside from the main one didn't get enough screentime

Edited by HAZMAT, Jul 11 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#19 Offline Elric of Melnibone

Elric of Melnibone
  • Members
  • Toa

• 147 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 12 2013 - 12:19 AM

Got back from my showing almost half an hour ago.

ohhhh man

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man

It lived up to every expectation. Really fun movie.

hElbrZ6.gif

#20 Offline Hewkii Inika

Hewkii Inika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 12 2013 - 02:08 AM

Just got back from a showing myself.

Seriously everyone, stop what you're doing right now and go see this movie. Right now. And then see it again. Fifty times. JUST GO SEE IT!  :o

Bionicle Park Tycoon 2!
IT'S FINALLY HERE!

#21 Offline KZN02

KZN02
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 975 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 13 2013 - 03:29 AM

Now that I've seen it, I can only recommend it for others to watch. It's that good if you like giant robots, giant monsters, and the like.

I really like how a couple of things parallel with Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan. Awfully coincidence, but awesome still.

#22 Offline Driskull

Driskull
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 27 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 13 2013 - 01:01 PM

This is my favorite movie of the year and probably one of my all time favorites.

As a kaiju fan from birth, this movie had me giggling like a schoolgirl. It's seriously THAT good.

Anyone who enjoys mecha, kaiju, or just action movies in general should see this.

Edited by Driskull, Jul 13 2013 - 01:01 PM.

Vahki_Yr4.PNG

^ Best year.

Proud to be from the Great White North

:flagcanada:

#23 Offline Pears Nivans

Pears Nivans
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Fluidic Master Defeated

• 3,591 posts

Posted Jul 13 2013 - 11:06 PM

i saw this yesterday, and all I can say is wow. Easily one of my favorite movies ever.

The only downside is that I'm now experiencing massive Day Run/mech RPG withdrawal. Quick, someone hop on a Pacific Rim RPG!

rotrbanner.png

~ Night Ride ~ Day Run: The Garden (I II III) ~ Perpetual ~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic ~

~ One ~ The Report ~

~ Broken Unity/Review ~

000 - 001 - 002 - 003 - 004 - 005 - 006 - 007 - 008 - 009 - 010 - 011 - 012 - 013 - 014 - 015 - 016 - 017 - 018 - 019 - 020 - 021 - 022 - 023 - 024 - 025 - 026

- Decaia Holts - Vidinia LeJauso - Raimundo Rojo - Melanie Garven - Melissa Garven- ??? - ??? -

#24 Offline Endless Sea ~turmoil~

Endless Sea ~turmoil~
  • Members

• 930 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2013 - 03:50 AM

Now that I'm getting into Gundam stuff, I'm getting really interested in this one movie that is evidently a live-action homage to mecha anime that everyone says is the greatest movie since ever.  Might actually get me to leave the house for once.  :P

Daybreak. The waves are in turmoil, their frenzied whirlpools and foaming crests crashing into the beach, scattering ivory sand throughout the brilliant silver of the endless sea...

#25 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,872 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2013 - 08:38 AM

So I finally saw it. Action took a little too long to get started, but after that it was awesome. Anyone else absolutely in love with the score?

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#26 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2013 - 10:15 AM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Idunno about that man. We had giant robot punching in the first five minutes. What do you want, the very first shot to be fighting? xD[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Then again that would be cool but eh. I can wait five minutes.[/font]

Edited by Darth Alex Humva, Jul 23 2013 - 10:15 AM.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#27 Offline Vorahk1Panrahk2

Vorahk1Panrahk2
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Toa Nuva Defeated

• 3,872 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2013 - 10:54 AM

First off, touché. :P

Second, I'm referring to the 45 minutes to an hour that followed the opening where the characters were just talking, and then fighting with sticks, and then more talking. It just felt like a lull in the movie. Although I guess the non stop action in the second half makes up for it.

kellssunset.jpg

BZPRPG Profiles

#28 Offline Sykreos the Challenger

Sykreos the Challenger
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 23 2013 - 11:04 AM

[color=#006400;]Looks like a promising movie. A part of me wants to see it, so I probably could sometime, although I have no real plans to.[/color]

Click here to go to Snax, the SybreNetX reboot!

spc_logo.png

Click the homemade banner to go to Sonic: Pure Chaos!

The Feline Chronicles | Noobicorn Inc. | Toa Piraka Hakann Comics | Kamen Rider: NoobzlayerDestruction Comics | Toa 95 Comics | Will Most Likely Fail Epicly | Second Time's The Charm | Prototypes

Why must all our greatest dreams come to an end? I would have slept for eternity just to keep my favorite one...

"Gentlemen, I have returned." ~Sybre, real life

#29 Offline Shadow Kurahk

Shadow Kurahk
  • Premier Member
  • Lehvak-Kal Attacks!

• 3,658 posts

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 04:31 AM

This movie was incredibly impressive.

I personally don't think the story was particularly weak. The script could have used some work, and there are a few continuity errors I noticed, but other than that, pretty solid. Jaw-dropping effects. Simply brilliant.

I am not one to criticize generic storylines. If they can execute the tropes in a way that is unique, I am all for it. This movie did just that.

#30 Offline Elric of Melnibone

Elric of Melnibone
  • Members
  • Toa

• 147 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 09:33 PM

Yeah, I'm not getting complaints about how the storyline is cliched.

Cliches are only bad when they're executed badly- which is something this movie doesn't do.

hElbrZ6.gif

#31 Offline Jinkmeister

Jinkmeister
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 919 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 29 2013 - 10:36 AM

I went to this movie expecting to watch giant robots beat up giant aliens. And I got exactly that. As a long-time fan of Kaiju films (check out some of my first screen names on here!), plot isn't exactly why I'm going to see them. But Pacific Rim managed to have a very intriguing plot, and it definitetly kept me interested! It also stands as the only movie I've felt completely compelled to buy the soundtrack for (which is amazing, I highly recommend it), and I'll probably go to see it a third time this week.

#32 Offline Radagast367

Radagast367
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 36 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 04 2013 - 02:42 AM

Aaaah.. this movie is everything that transformers failed to do, on a WAY bigger scale, with rocket punches and giant monsters. With Ron Pearlman in it. directed by Guillermo del Toro. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

If you think that godzilla is NOT awesome, you're either crazy,

or one of the many people who got trodden on while he was saving the world.

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#33 Offline SarracenianKaijin

SarracenianKaijin
  • Members
  • Toa

• 191 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 04 2013 - 06:49 AM

Slightly related note: I couldn't be the only one who thought of Ultraman Leo's sea battle against the Gillas from watching the movie, right?

Look, there's the ocean, ruined city and giant hero fighting against two monsters and their alien master and everything.

The movie was quite something.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin, Aug 04 2013 - 06:50 AM.

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

#34 Offline Boogie Monsta

Boogie Monsta
  • Premier Member
  • Flying Force!

• 2,359 posts

Posted Aug 05 2013 - 11:18 AM

[color=#4b0082;]I loved this movie, and I think the people who call the story shallow or weak are missing the point. Most action movies nowadays are going for the dark gritty oh no everything is hopeless angle, and I found it extremely refreshing to see a movie where that grittiness was balanced by balls-to-the-wall ridiculous action and a real sense of hope. The stakes were definitely high, but I don't think you have to think everyone's going to die to enjoy a movie. The story was simple, and it worked. Definitely my favorite movie of the year so far.[/color]

iloveyousignlanguagemeulin.png

#35 Offline Kenpachi Zaraki

Kenpachi Zaraki
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 223 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 06 2013 - 10:31 PM

Now with all these new mecha movies, they rea;lly should try a Gundam Movie.

Kenpachi Zaraki Captain of squad 11

Read This to learn about kenpachi.

Credit to Republic Commando Darman for the banner.

#36 Offline SkyLandOceAnna

SkyLandOceAnna
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 0 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 08 2013 - 07:39 PM

I really loved this movie. They had a great story and characters who played their parts perfectly. Definitely going to own it when it comes out DVD.

Wordsmith <3

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users