So. Guillermo del Toro. Giant monsters getting punched by equally giant robots. Homages to old school mecha and kaiju flicks like no tomorrow. Promised rocket punches.

Anyone else hyped to go see this? Looks fantastic, gonna try to see it on the opening day,

hElbrZ6.gif

I'm going to go see it with my girlfriend the day after release in theatres. Conveniently, that day will also be the day that marks our six months together.

Sappiness aside, I'm really excited for this movie. It's looking to be fantastic, and even better in IMAX 3D.

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

I'm excited for this, I'll probably go and see it sometime between when I see Despicable Me 2 with my family next week and Red 2 with my friends in a couple of weeks. I've seen all the trailers, and it looks awesome. Definitely going to be a better live-action giant robot flick than Transformers.

I cannot wait to see it. It looks freaking awesome.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I am excited for this movie because it makes no pretensions about what it's going to be. It doesn't have aspirations of an Oscar or attempts at using Shia La Beouf for human interest or weighty metaphysical arguments explained by punching or obnoxious symbolism or fifty years' worth of franchise lore simultaneously weighing it down and being thrown out the window. It is a movie about robots and monsters punching each other and blowing things up and you should go see it.

But if the Jaegers do not have bombs I will be so, so disappointed.

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

Holy Kanohi, I am SO looking forward to this movie! :D I've been looking forward to it since I saw early footage for it at the 2012 Comic-Con, and every trailer since has made my eyes explode with awesomeness. I'm going to see it opening day with my dad. If I could, I would see it in the midnight showing, but unfortunately my dad doesn't like staying up that late, and he really wants to see it with me. 3 more days! Cannot. WAIT!

My sig is empty for now. Well, I guess now it isn't, lol.

10PM, in Imax

also I got the NECA Gipsy Danger and Crimson Typhoon figures

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW

edit: I'm back, it was awesome! Only complaint is Jaegers aside from the main one didn't get enough screentime

Edited by HAZMAT

Now that I've seen it, I can only recommend it for others to watch. It's that good if you like giant robots, giant monsters, and the like.

I really like how a couple of things parallel with Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan. Awfully coincidence, but awesome still.

The Master of Tediosness

This is my favorite movie of the year and probably one of my all time favorites.

As a kaiju fan from birth, this movie had me giggling like a schoolgirl. It's seriously THAT good.

Anyone who enjoys mecha, kaiju, or just action movies in general should see this.

Edited by Driskull

Vahki_Yr4.PNG

^ Best year.

Proud to be from the Great White North

:flagcanada:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm getting into Gundam stuff, I'm getting really interested in this one movie that is evidently a live-action homage to mecha anime that everyone says is the greatest movie since ever. Might actually get me to leave the house for once. :P

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Idunno about that man. We had giant robot punching in the first five minutes. What do you want, the very first shot to be fighting? xD

Then again that would be cool but eh. I can wait five minutes.

Edited by Darth Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

First off, touché. :P

Second, I'm referring to the 45 minutes to an hour that followed the opening where the characters were just talking, and then fighting with sticks, and then more talking. It just felt like a lull in the movie. Although I guess the non stop action in the second half makes up for it.

BZPRPG

This movie was incredibly impressive.

I personally don't think the story was particularly weak. The script could have used some work, and there are a few continuity errors I noticed, but other than that, pretty solid. Jaw-dropping effects. Simply brilliant.

I am not one to criticize generic storylines. If they can execute the tropes in a way that is unique, I am all for it. This movie did just that.

I went to this movie expecting to watch giant robots beat up giant aliens. And I got exactly that. As a long-time fan of Kaiju films (check out some of my first screen names on here!), plot isn't exactly why I'm going to see them. But Pacific Rim managed to have a very intriguing plot, and it definitetly kept me interested! It also stands as the only movie I've felt completely compelled to buy the soundtrack for (which is amazing, I highly recommend it), and I'll probably go to see it a third time this week.

Aaaah.. this movie is everything that transformers failed to do, on a WAY bigger scale, with rocket punches and giant monsters. With Ron Pearlman in it. directed by Guillermo del Toro. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

If you think that godzilla is NOT awesome, you're either crazy,

or one of the many people who got trodden on while he was saving the world.

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Slightly related note: I couldn't be the only one who thought of Ultraman Leo's sea battle against the Gillas from watching the movie, right?

Look, there's the ocean, ruined city and giant hero fighting against two monsters and their alien master and everything.

The movie was quite something.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

I loved this movie, and I think the people who call the story shallow or weak are missing the point. Most action movies nowadays are going for the dark gritty oh no everything is hopeless angle, and I found it extremely refreshing to see a movie where that grittiness was balanced by balls-to-the-wall ridiculous action and a real sense of hope. The stakes were definitely high, but I don't think you have to think everyone's going to die to enjoy a movie. The story was simple, and it worked. Definitely my favorite movie of the year so far.

iloveyousignlanguagemeulin.png