Brick by Brick on Store Shelves

Christian Faber has updated his blog with a plug for a new book: Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry. Why should this interest you? Well apparently there's a whole chapter about Bionicle, which Faber promises contains some never-heard-before info (he should know, he was interviewed for it). His blog has a question from an interview with the author, Professor David C. Robertson, about our favorite toy line. I've added a copy to my shopping cart and look forward to seeing what new information about Bionicle is in there!View the full article

I am irritated that this news article might mislead people into believing the notion that BIONICLE, by itself, saved the company. It did save the company in that it made enough money to buy LEGO time to arrive at a lasting solution, and it taught them lessons that helped them pick themselves up. But it was just one step in the process of getting them back on their feet.All things considered, it's much the same kind of rhetoric I hear from LEGO Star Wars fans, since that, too, made enough money to buy the LEGO Group some time, and taught them lessons that helped them pick themselves up. One of those lessons, incidentally, was that kids are interested in buying a toy with a story, and BIONICLE wouldn't have happened if LEGO Star Wars hadn't paved the way. That's just one other theme that deserves credit for LEGO's recovery. Others include LEGO City, LEGO Creator, LEGO Duplo, and LEGO Technic, which made the company lots of money and helped restore the company's tradition of building many things with basic elements.BIONICLE deserves credit for the LEGO Group's recovery, that's for certain. However, it's quite a logical leap to say it deserves ALL the credit. It saved the company, but saying "a single toy line saved the company" implies it did so on its own, which does other themes a disservice and likewise does BIONICLE a disservice by isolating it from the themes that influenced it and the way it, in turn, influenced other themes.Anyway, very much looking forward to picking up this book. I've watched a video interview with the author which was very good. I somewhat disagree with some of his opinions on individual themes, particularly Jack Stone and Explore (which were meant as preschool themes like Duplo or Fabuland, and not, as he implies, "LEGO for kids who don't like building with LEGO"), but I think his main idea is a very true and very remarkable story.

I like how some people get bent out of shape at the idea that Bionicle had such a large role in helping LEGO recover. (Not completely directing this at you, Aanchir, cause I've heard this from plenty of other sources, and you make some good points. ;) ) Yes, it wasn't the sole factor that changed things around, but it also wasn't some minor theme that did very little compared to Star Wars or whatev. The most interesting tidbit I got from the video was that LEGO only had one profitable line in 2003, and it wasn't the licensed Star Wars or Harry Potter, which weren't doing well in a non-movie year. Nope, it was Bionicle. (Which is kind of surprising; 03 started off with the cloned Bohrok Kal, which I thought would've certainly been a dip in Bionicle's sale. Eh, I guess the Rahkshi pulled it through.) For that year, at least, it sounds like Bionicle was what pulled the company through.

:music:

Honestly, no matter what it is, I doubt the very special, never before revealed information in this book could compare to the Faber Files revelation that Bionicle was originally going to be called Doo Heads. :P I think I'll still have to take a look at this book, though - it sounds rather fascinating in general.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Honestly, no matter what it is, I doubt the very special, never before revealed information in this book could compare to the Faber Files revelation that Bionicle was originally going to be called Doo Heads. :P I think I'll still have to take a look at this book, though - it sounds rather fascinating in general.

The book (which my brother and I now have) includes concept art and a prototype pic of aforementioned Doo Heads. Does that compare?

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like an interesting book. Not just the Bionicle section (even though that alone would be enough to catch my attention :D ) but pretty much all things Lego is something that really interests me. I remember during the recent 80th anniversary when the Lego website had a video of how the company got started, I found that video quite fascinating and was mildly disappointed that it only went as far as 1968. I'd like to learn more about the more recent history of the company, especially the circumstances that led to the creation of Bionicle. I'll definitely grab this book if I get the chance to find a copy.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.