• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Brick by Brick on Store Shelves

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 1,358 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 05:49 PM

Christian Faber has updated his blog with a plug for a new book: Brick by Brick: How LEGO Rewrote the Rules of Innovation and Conquered the Global Toy Industry. Why should this interest you? Well apparently there's a whole chapter about Bionicle, which Faber promises contains some never-heard-before info (he should know, he was interviewed for it). His blog has a question from an interview with the author, Professor David C. Robertson, about our favorite toy line. I've added a copy to my shopping cart and look forward to seeing what new information about Bionicle is in there!View the full article

#2 Offline The Legendary TNT

The Legendary TNT
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 704 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 08 2013 - 04:15 PM

Wow, I'm glad BIONICLE didn't turn out like those VooDoo Heads.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

#3 Online Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 4,284 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 08 2013 - 04:30 PM

I am irritated that this news article might mislead people into believing the notion that BIONICLE, by itself, saved the company. It did save the company in that it made enough money to buy LEGO time to arrive at a lasting solution, and it taught them lessons that helped them pick themselves up. But it was just one step in the process of getting them back on their feet.All things considered, it's much the same kind of rhetoric I hear from LEGO Star Wars fans, since that, too, made enough money to buy the LEGO Group some time, and taught them lessons that helped them pick themselves up. One of those lessons, incidentally, was that kids are interested in buying a toy with a story, and BIONICLE wouldn't have happened if LEGO Star Wars hadn't paved the way. That's just one other theme that deserves credit for LEGO's recovery. Others include LEGO City, LEGO Creator, LEGO Duplo, and LEGO Technic, which made the company lots of money and helped restore the company's tradition of building many things with basic elements.BIONICLE deserves credit for the LEGO Group's recovery, that's for certain. However, it's quite a logical leap to say it deserves ALL the credit. It saved the company, but saying "a single toy line saved the company" implies it did so on its own, which does other themes a disservice and likewise does BIONICLE a disservice by isolating it from the themes that influenced it and the way it, in turn, influenced other themes.Anyway, very much looking forward to picking up this book. I've watched a video interview with the author which was very good. I somewhat disagree with some of his opinions on individual themes, particularly Jack Stone and Explore (which were meant as preschool themes like Duplo or Fabuland, and not, as he implies, "LEGO for kids who don't like building with LEGO"), but I think his main idea is a very true and very remarkable story.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#4 Offline xccj

xccj
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Senior Staff Mask Maker

• 6,489 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Jul 08 2013 - 04:47 PM

I like how some people get bent out of shape at the idea that Bionicle had such a large role in helping LEGO recover.  (Not completely directing this at you, Aanchir, cause I've heard this from plenty of other sources, and you make some good points. ;) )  Yes, it wasn't the sole factor that changed things around, but it also wasn't some minor theme that did very little compared to Star Wars or whatev.  The most interesting tidbit I got from the video was that LEGO only had one profitable line in 2003, and it wasn't the licensed Star Wars or Harry Potter, which weren't doing well in a non-movie year.  Nope, it was Bionicle.  (Which is kind of surprising; 03 started off with the cloned Bohrok Kal, which I thought would've certainly been a dip in Bionicle's sale.  Eh, I guess the Rahkshi pulled it through.)  For that year, at least, it sounds like Bionicle was what pulled the company through.

:music:

b-bolin-03.jpg

#5 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,074 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 08 2013 - 05:15 PM

Nope, it was Bionicle.  (Which is kind of surprising; 03 started off with the cloned Bohrok Kal, which I thought would've certainly been a dip in Bionicle's sale.  Eh, I guess the Rahkshi pulled it through.)

Lego's annual report for that year states that "sales fell by up to 20 percent."

#6 Offline ~~Zarkan~~

~~Zarkan~~
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,572 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 08 2013 - 05:39 PM

Honestly, no matter what it is, I doubt the very special, never before revealed information in this book could compare to the Faber Files revelation that Bionicle was originally going to be called Doo Heads.  :P  I think I'll still have to take a look at this book, though - it sounds rather fascinating in general.

Yeah, not much to say right now.

#7 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 2,089 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 12 2013 - 10:12 AM

Honestly, no matter what it is, I doubt the very special, never before revealed information in this book could compare to the Faber Files revelation that Bionicle was originally going to be called Doo Heads.  :P  I think I'll still have to take a look at this book, though - it sounds rather fascinating in general.

The book (which my brother and I now have) includes concept art and a prototype pic of aforementioned Doo Heads. Does that compare?

Proud attendee of the Bionicle panel at NYCC and after-hours Lego store event! Feel free to PM me any questions about Bionicle 2015 sets or parts!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#8 Online Chronicler06

Chronicler06
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 83 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 24 2013 - 06:22 PM

This seems like an interesting book. Not just the Bionicle section (even though that alone would be enough to catch my attention :D ) but pretty much all things Lego is something that really interests me. I remember during the recent 80th anniversary when the Lego website had a video of how the company got started, I found that video quite fascinating and was mildly disappointed that it only went as far as 1968. I'd like to learn more about the more recent history of the company, especially the circumstances that led to the creation of Bionicle. I'll definitely grab this book if I get the chance to find a copy.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I have rejoined BZPower as of October 10, 2012. This is a new beginning for me.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users