Set Review 9480: Finn McMissile

Kanakalackin

The small images link to bigger ones FYI.

Presentation

From the design of the box to the instruction manual, these are the first things you see before

building the set.

So, the box… The thing you first see when you buy a LEGO set…

dscn1016.jpg_thumb.jpg

On the front, we have Finn McMissile parked on a walkway, with all of his gadgets deployed (why? I don’t know.) and shooting his flick-fire missile at something that was clearly photoshopped out of its path.

All the trademarks and logos (Cars, Disney, and LEGO) are in their correct places, along with a character shot from the movie in the bottom-left corner.

dscn1018.jpg_thumb.jpg

On the back, we have something that I haven’t seen since I played with Duplo. The inventory is on the back of the box, with pictures of the set, and more logos.

Building

Half the fun is had building the set. How fun is it to build and how easy or challenging is it?

The build is straightforward and relatively simple. You build the frame, and add the facial shells. You then get to build and attach all of his fancy gadgets including a satellite dish (I don’t know where that came from), a sub-machine gun, 1x1 light-grey stud with a camera lens printed onto it, 1x2 trans light-green computer screen thing, and a flick-fire missile.

dscn1022.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1023.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1024.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1025.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1026.jpg_thumb.jpg

Set Design

Now that the set is complete, we can critique how it looks from every angle. New or interesting

pieces can also be examined here.

dscn1026.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn1027.jpg_thumb.jpg

The set altogether is a nice buy for $7. You get a nice amount of baby-blue/light-blue pieces alongside the emotional car-shells. You also get a car that normally only appears in other sets, but you have all of the extra accessories which kind of ruin the design aesthetically. Sure, you can remove them, but you’ll still be stuck without a 1x1 light-blue piece and have two c-joints sticking out. The back is probably one of the bad points about it; there’s nothing eye-popping there except for a rear window, and that isn’t really that eye-popping. A license plate sticker would’ve done well back there; also the arches aren’t flush with the back of the shell. The front is better, but the extra studs are a little distracting and subtract from the screen-accuracy. There is a way to remedy the screen-accuracy problem, however. You can replace the SNOT plates and c-joints with light blue 1x4 and 1x1 bricks, exchange the camera-stud for another clear stud, and move the 1x2 and 1x1 smooth plates to the front to create a very smooth and movie accurate design.

dscn1033.jpg_thumb.jpg

The interesting pieces here are the car-shells, wheels and tires, the camera stud, and the trans-green 90-degree plate. I don’t see much usefulness in the parts, but they’re pretty cool.

dscn1031.jpg_thumb.jpg

Playability

The other half of the fun is in playing with the set. How well does the set function and is it enjoyable to play with?

It’s a car. You’re supposed to roll it.

It rolls very smoothly, as low to the ground as it is. In all seriousness, I could roll it around all day. The flick-fire missile is a little too gimmicky for me, though.

Final Thoughts

Once it's all said and done, how does the set stack up? Should I get it?

Pros

What's to like?

• Finn McMissile
  • Lots of light-blue pieces
  • The expression is awesome
  • Rolls smoothly

Cons

What's not to like?

• Not very screen-accurate
  • Not many new parts
  • Why isn’t it light-blue all of the way through?
  • Lack of detail

I believe that this is a really good set to have; it spares you some cash if you’re only looking to pick up a Finn McMissile car, it’s good for role-playing, look at that expression (he almost looks cocky), but it isn’t exactly screen-accurate.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Playability

The other half of the fun is in playing with the set. How well does the set function and is it enjoyable to play with?

I loled here, XD

I know you're allowed to do this, but I don't see it happen very often (well, actually this is the first time I've ever seen it happen). It's nice to see somebody else is doing this.

Playability

I loled here, XD

I know you're allowed to do this, but I don't see it happen very often (well, actually this is the first time I've ever seen it happen). It's nice to see somebody else is doing this.

I always try to include some humor in what I say when I'm writing something ^^.

By "I don't see this happen very often" do you mean a regular member making a review?

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Playability

I loled here, XD

By "I don't see this happen very often" do you mean a regular member making a review?

Certainly keeps it interesting.

Yup.

Playability

I loled here, XD

Yup.

... I've seen reviews before. And posted one, as well as one on my blog.

They don't get much attention. Though I'd like to think I did a good job... Anyway, the review doesn't tell me much, more pictures or description would be nice.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Playability

I loled here, XD

Yup.

... I've seen reviews before. And posted one, as well as one on my blog.

They don't get much attention. Though I'd like to think I did a good job... Anyway, the review doesn't tell me much, more pictures or description would be nice.

KK, there aren't many pictures about a small Cars set like this one without getting too repetative.

HERE!