Guitar Topic

Icicle

I've decided to really challenge myself. I'm trying to learn 25 Or 6 To 4 by Chicago ALL the way through. solo, fills, everything. I have a feeling I'll give up.

That's a great song. Really good guitar playing.Don't give up on it, though. You'll get it with enough practice.And now that you've mentioned this song, I'm probably going to end up learning it, myself. :PBtw, "Castles Made of Sand" by Jimi Hendrix is a great song for guitarists.
Well at the moment i'm having trouble getting past the second fill xD

"On a trip to Cirrus Minor, saw a crater in the sun

A thousand miles of moonlight later..."

-Pink Floyd, Cirrus Minor

• 2 weeks later...

My New Year's Resolution was to learn all 20 minutes of All of the Above by Structures (I know it's technically an EP, but it flows well enough that it could be one song). It was going all well and good, and I learned Departure easily enough, but then I realized I couldn't find tabs for any other songs on the EP. Fantastic :|

These transitions in reverie could never be

What you wanted them to be, it's what I believe.

These sleepless nights in arms you can't reach

Will never be what you thought they would be.

I can't sleep, I can't breathe.

I can't breathe the air that you breathe,

I can't be the dreams that you dream.

You're taking your time, and I can't breathe the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Project is DONE. Mostly.It plays kinda well. However it has a problem with the B string actually being closer to the fretboard than what it's supposed to be, and I don't know how to raise the string height on a Floyd Rose... I don't even think it's possible, either. D:Other than that, it plays okay, tuning's a pain in the butt because I didn't modify the neck that I got for a Floyd Rose nut... It sounds alright. A little too bright for my tastes, but I can fix that later down the line by getting a different pickup for it... I MIGHT try for an EMG. I'm not sure, but I'll see when I get there. Another funny thing. The volume control doesn't work. I used a 250K control because I didn't want to use the 500k push-pull, and the 500k regular that I had didn't fit in any of the control holes. I wired it up, plugged it in, and it plays... But the volume now works kinda like a treble bleed or a signal choke of some sort. When I roll the volume down it cuts out some of the treble but it's still pretty much on. I think it's probably because the volume control doesn't have enough ohms to cut the signal off fully, so it's on all the time. Sometime in the future I'll correct that... Or maybe experiment with wiring and add two volumes, and make a switch that allows for the individual coils of a humbucker to be adjusted in volume with the two volumes. Basically, roll down the volume slightly on the coil closer to the neck and it sounds brighter, vice versa, etc., etc.. TL;DR plays okay, could be better.

ace_combat.jpg
"Slyph Squadron, engaging."

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned Megadeth's 'Sweating Bullets' all the way through, and while it's not a very hard song, it feels good to get a whole solo down again. I haven't bothered with solos since last summer... that makes 8 solos I can play, 2 of which are pretty pathetic, and another 2 of which are only secondary solos...I need to practice more lol.Also I have a problem with the joints of my pinkie finger: if I stretch it too far, it locks and is seriously painful to unlock, making it extremely difficult to play most solos. Does anyone else have this problem/know how to fix it?EDIT: Waaaaaay late (sorry) but yes, Icicle, I do plan to give it the extra frets. many songs I play wouldn't work without them. My woodwork class has been building boxes (so exciting) for the first few weeks, but we should be done within the week, so I'm hoping to start on this thing very soon. Probably after spring break.

Edited by The Xin That Should Not Be

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

So, I got my first 8-string about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier. I set it up in Drop Eb, and it slays.421632_3460091781925_1259840305_3802588_1557992487_n.jpg401475_3460085541769_1259840305_3802583_960977253_n.jpg395239_3460095702023_1259840305_3802591_1350589727_n.jpgI love it. It's a custom Agile Septor Elite 828, with a 28.625" scale, maple fretboard, flame top, a Hipshot bridge, and Duncan Blackouts.

These transitions in reverie could never be

What you wanted them to be, it's what I believe.

These sleepless nights in arms you can't reach

Will never be what you thought they would be.

I can't sleep, I can't breathe.

I can't breathe the air that you breathe,

I can't be the dreams that you dream.

You're taking your time, and I can't breathe the air.

• 3 weeks later...

OH MY GOODNESS! There's a guitar thread! Pretty sure I'm not reviving unnecessarily, considering it's fairly new.I love that blue guitar, btw... I'm stuck with a black strat (which was my first real guitar :P ) and a black Ovation Celebrity. any of you guys have an Ovation? Good sound, a little oddly shaped, but some of the best I've played...

I love Ovations. Would buy ine for myself if I didn't already have a perfectly awesome acoustic haha.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

So, I got my first 8-string about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier. I set it up in Drop Eb, and it slays.421632_3460091781925_1259840305_3802588_1557992487_n.jpg401475_3460085541769_1259840305_3802583_960977253_n.jpg395239_3460095702023_1259840305_3802591_1350589727_n.jpgI love it. It's a custom Agile Septor Elite 828, with a 28.625" scale, maple fretboard, flame top, a Hipshot bridge, and Duncan Blackouts.

strong lefty player
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

So, I got my first 8-string about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier. I set it up in Drop Eb, and it slays.I love it. It's a custom Agile Septor Elite 828, with a 28.625" scale, maple fretboard, flame top, a Hipshot bridge, and Duncan Blackouts.

dat finish amirite brehI didn't get any fancy pickups in mine but I have the same color

only in dreams.