Legends of the Island

Flex Lord Splash

Legends of the Island

legends_poster.jpg

By Flex Fiction

This comic will be in a different style then your usual ones. It will be split into episodes and then different pages for each episode. I am also going to be trying to add some manga elements into it to give the characters some emotion and whatnot. More coming soon!

Episode 1

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Random (Not part of the main story)

Macku and Huki

Credits

Useless MNOLG Character and Background Things

This shop/kit and everyone who has atributed to it so far.

Edited by Flex Fiction

Hmm... for some reason I linked it to the direct image of the comic but the link changed to the Photobucket page. I changed it back you should be able to zoom in now. If the problem persists I'll find somewhere else to host the images or something.

EDIT: Page 2 is now up!

Edited by Flex Fiction

this is a good start! the humor is interesting. a bit different, but i like it!

if i were to change anything about this series, i'd firstly suggest changing the speech balloons to make them look more clear and high-quality. currently they look as if they are pre-made and scaled to fit the panel. i can't quite tell what program you're using, but depending on what you use, you could PM me for tips on how to make your speech balloons look pretty cool. that's just something i'd change, but of course you don't have to just because i would. :P

the only other thing, is perhaps save your files as .png because image files are more high-quality in this case when saved as .png rather that .jpg.

good work otherwise! like i mentioned before, the humor is good, and i like your use of these sprites. they're usually not something i'm a huge fan of, but they look pretty nice here!

naw man

this is a good start! the humor is interesting. a bit different, but i like it!

if i were to change anything about this series, i'd firstly suggest changing the speech balloons to make them look more clear and high-quality. currently they look as if they are pre-made and scaled to fit the panel. i can't quite tell what program you're using, but depending on what you use, you could PM me for tips on how to make your speech balloons look pretty cool. that's just something i'd change, but of course you don't have to just because i would. :P

the only other thing, is perhaps save your files as .png because image files are more high-quality in this case when saved as .png rather that .jpg.

good work otherwise! like i mentioned before, the humor is good, and i like your use of these sprites. they're usually not something i'm a huge fan of, but they look pretty nice here!

Thanks I'll shoot you a PM then because you nailed it on the head. I am using pre-made speech ballons off Google and scaled to fit.

For the .png that's something I also didn't know, will be sure to save them as that in the future. And thanks Flare.

Haha I never knew that. Also does anyone recommend a site to upload the images? Photobucket keeps changing the link from the image to my Photobucket page with the image and it annoys me to no end, mainly because I keep switching it back. Will be working on the next page pretty soon.

Brickshelf or Majhost. I'd use Brickshelf (I do any way XD).

So... Page 4 is up!

Updates:

1. Decided to ditch speech bubbles all together and replaced it with the text style most comics on here seem to use. I like it.

2. Saved as a png and posted on brickshelf.

Okay. Now that's over I need some opinions. For Jarrus (Toa of Stone) I gave him one of the non-canon masked. What mask power do you guys think he should have? I'd like to hear some ideas.

Edited by Flex Fiction

Okay. Now that's over I need some opinions. For Jarrus (Toa of Stone) I gave him one of the non-canon masked. What mask power do you guys think he should have? I'd like to hear some ideas.

Well, it's sorta canon. It's a Normalified Great Calix.

Ahhh. That makes sense. Works for me. Calix it is. *

If you plan on using the other at some point then you should know that it's a Normalified Great Elda.

Now on to the comic. First off I'm going to judge these panels individually.

@Panel One: Your GIMP or Photoshop skills are impressive and In like how you made the character wavy to mean he's underwater, however, you probably should have done this with the mask as well or it just look like the mask is outside of the sea......some how. Also, why did you make the Magma Sword more opaque?

@Panel Two: There would be nothing wrong with this panel....if it hadn't been for the Tree-Speak/Chute-Speak. Perhaps you should use this: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Chutespeak/Treespeak . One thing you did do right with this was not using too obsessively. I'd suggest studying the dialogue in MNOG 1 and 2 of Le-Matoran and the BS01 list of all the slangs they have. This won't be easy though. There's a reason why these are Greg's least favorite character to write about.

@Panel Three: This applies to panel 4 as well. When you blur part of the body, but not the other it looks.....really weird. I'd suggest that you should only do this to background characters and leave the main character blurred.

@Panel Four: As creative as using weapons from BS01's weapon examples is it still looks weird. I know where a few Air Katana poses are in MNOG style if you'd want that.

@Whole Comic: What program do you use? Now, the plot: Nothing wrong with that. It's only comic four so I can't judge this quite yet.

EDIT: It seems that I've accidentally deleted part of the paragraph for Panel Two. Well, that's fixed now.

Edited by Damaracx 8.0

@ Panel One: Thanks. Yeah I added the mask and sword after with new layers and it didn't turn out as good as I liked. Making the mask wavy as well and the sword less opaque would of looked better I agree.

@ Panel Two: I'll take a look and attempt to modify his tree/chute speak as best as he can. If the way I write his speech bothers people too much I'll switch him back to talking normal. Perhaps he can talk both ways and slips back into tree speech only at certain times because of where he's from.

@Panel Three: I didn't intentionally blur any of the bodies. What happens is when I scale them to fit the scene they got a bit blurred. But it only happens when you zoom in. If you zoom out I think their bodies look alright. I don't really know a way to fix that.

@Panel Four: Sure would love the Air Katanas. As for the other weapons; the weapon selection is a bit limited, and I agree it does look a bit odd but I really like the claws for Jarus and the harpoon weapon for Nalara. So I'm going to continue to use them.

@Whole comic: I'm using the latest version of Photoshop to craft this comic. Thanks for the critique man, constrictive criticism will only make this comic better and it means a lot. :)

@Whole comic: I'm using the latest version of Photoshop to craft this comic. Thanks for the critique man, constrictive criticism will only make this comic better and it means a lot. :)

Karz, then I'm not sure how much I can help you, but I'll say something that might help. Here's your problem: if you have tool options for resizing then it's likely that you have the interpolation set at none. What you need to do is find these tool options and set the interpolation to cubic.

Well, I'll admit it's not often you see a comic made using the MNOG kit, and it's one of the more pleasant things to see when someone makes one like this. It's good, yes, but it has a lot of potential to improve, which I trust you can do.

Due to me being much more experienced with GIMP instead of Photoshop, I'm not sure how much help I can be when it comes to graphic improvements.

However, one thing I can help with - it would seem you're using a character that uses Treespeak(Or chutespeak, but this hardly seems like Metru Nui). However, 'believeshould' isn't an actual treespeak term. I would suggest that you check one of two sources about Treespeak for accuracy, as it will make the comic feel a bit more believable. In my honest opinion, seeing 'believeshould' somewhat detracted from it for me, but it's up to you on whether or not to change this.

Here:

The BS01 'Chutespeak/Treespeak' article

The Bionicle Wiki 'Chutespeak/Treespeak' section of Matoran Language

Refer to both of them, as they occasionally fill in each other's holes, for instance the BSO1 one is missing one or two words, but is more descriptive than the Bionicle Wiki, which isn't missing some words.

Sisen said:

Let's focus on Snail! Snail is the bombdiggity.

Well, I'll admit it's not often you see a comic made using the MNOG kit, and it's one of the more pleasant things to see when someone makes one like this. It's good, yes, but it has a lot of potential to improve, which I trust you can do.

Due to me being much more experienced with GIMP instead of Photoshop, I'm not sure how much help I can be when it comes to graphic improvements.

However, one thing I can help with - it would seem you're using a character that uses Treespeak(Or chutespeak, but this hardly seems like Metru Nui). However, 'believeshould' isn't an actual treespeak term. I would suggest that you check one of two sources about Treespeak for accuracy, as it will make the comic feel a bit more believable. In my honest opinion, seeing 'believeshould' somewhat detracted from it for me, but it's up to you on whether or not to change this.

Here:

The BS01 'Chutespeak/Treespeak' article

The Bionicle Wiki 'Chutespeak/Treespeak' section of Matoran Language

Refer to both of them, as they occasionally fill in each other's holes, for instance the BSO1 one is missing one or two words, but is more descriptive than the Bionicle Wiki, which isn't missing some words.

Thanks for the feedback man. I agree and plan to improve this comic as it goes. I already see improvement from Page 1 to 4.

Taking the latest feedback in stride I've decided to re-do Page 4. Mostly because I spelled believe wrong and it annoyed me but also to fix some things. I made their bodies less blurry, made his mask and sword wavy in the first panel for his reflection and changed Mateus' speech. He's going to switch from tree-speak and normal, mostly he will speak normal because I see all the tree-speech being more of a pain then anything in the end. As for the weapons I removed the weapons that looked bad (which I agree they did) and replaced them with a bow and a cleaver. I feel like they more match the MNOG 1 style I'm going for.

Here's is the updated Page 4. Working on 5 soon.

So... Page 4 is up!

Updates:

1. Decided to ditch speech bubbles all together and replaced it with the text style most comics on here seem to use. I like it.

2. Saved as a png and posted on brickshelf.

Oh, yeah. I have to say this:

Jarrus isn't being sexist because sexism is wrong and being wrong is for women. XD

*Grabs riot shield and runs to bomb shelter* JK! JK! JK! That was just a joke, folks don't jump on me.

Edited by Damaracx 8.0