I've finally completed the Hau I started last summer! It started as a Pepakura model thanks to CrunchBiteNuva, then I Modge Podged it and poured casting resin on the inside to strengthen it. I then spray-painted it and it kinda sat around forever looking a bit sloppy... it didn't have a way to stay on my head, the paint job was messy, and the lines from the base model still showed. So, the other night I took it and sanded the Karzahni out of it until it was smoother.
From there, though, I kept going: I've always liked the feel of the original comics, where the Toa were scratched and scuffed, and did my best to translate that into this mask. I scarred it a bit with a Dremel drill and knife to simulate damage, and to break up some of the remaining lines, then added primer:
Once I was satisfied with the "damage" I moved on the the actual paint. I gave it a nice shiny red coat... then sanded and scratched it up, using the Exacto knife to expose some of the primer layer while the sanding dulled the finish. Overall, it worked well. The damage looks fairly natural, and the scuffing and less shiny paint job makes the lines less noticeable. The whole thing looks more like an actual, used mask now like I always imagined. I couldn't get a good picture of the whole mask, but here's a part:
EDIT: I added some more weathering to the mask and now I'm completely done messing with it. I took a black oil pastel (for lack of better materials), put a bit on all the scuffed areas, then rubbed it around really well and wiped it off. This left "dirt" in the scratches in a fairly organic way, making the damage seem a bit smoother and more realistic.
My sole dissatisfaction in the weathering came when I tried to fill some of the deeper marks with a small amount of borrowed black nail polish. It didn't wipe off quite like I'd hoped, and stayed darker than I wanted. However, it covered over the areas where paper was showing so I can live with it. I'll say they're scorch marks. I'll put up more pictures soon.
The button there is part of how it's held on my head: I drilled two holes in the mask, painted some buttons, and used them to secure a ring and part of a hunting rifle strap I got for $1 at Goodwill like thus:
The adjustable strap keeps it on, the foam keeps it in the right place and keeps my chin comfy, and the mesh keeps my face partially obscured while allowing me to see. I've also since added some foam in the forehead for comfort and position.
Final note: it's pretty tough. I accidentally hit my head pretty hard on a table corner while wearing it, and the blow just bounced off the mask and didn't leave a mark.
So there it is, my finished Hau! It's not perfect, but for a first completed Pepakura project I'm pretty pleased.
Edited by Pleurodeles Waltl, Jul 18 2013 - 11:40 PM.