Titans and Monsters Entry: The Kaita Program

Crunchyn

Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.— Toa Mata Tahu

bzptmfinal2.jpg

"When we returned to our home Metru Nui. We thought the Makuta was dead, that there would finally be peace, but we were wrong. The Makuta was still alive, and he started creating monsters of colossal proportions. The first made land in Onu-Metru, it took 6 days to bring it down. However, the Archives were lost. The second attack hit Xia, then the third hit Stelt. Then we learned… this was not going to stop. They counted on the Matoran to hide, to give up, to fail. They never considered our ability to stand, to endure, that we’d rise to the challenge. In order to fight monsters, we created monsters of our own. We needed a new weapon. The Kaita program was born. Three Toa, their minds, their memories connected. Toa and Exo-Toa become one." (Adapted from the Pacific Rim Trailer)

This is my entry for the Titans vs. Monsters: Attack on BZ Koro contest. Featuring the Toa Mata's Kaita, Akamai Valor and Wairuha Wisdom facing off against a giant Gadunka and a monster of my own design out in the water by Metru Nui. I already had the "Jaegers" planned before this as a couple of sketchs and the Bionicle/Pacific Rim crossover photoshopped images.

Medium:

Drawn traditionally, colored digitally on Photoshop and Illustrator

Progress Pics:

Pencil Sketch

Inked Drawing

Kaita Concept No.1

Kaita Concept No. 2

Kaiju Concept

Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.— Toa Mata Tahu

My concepts for the Kaita Program. Both has the three-arm design inspired by Crimson Typhoon, but the two-arm can combine to form a single stronger, slower arm and a new weapon. *Sorry, I'm still using "Kaiju" in the descriptions since I have no clue what else to call them xD*

Akamai Valor:

Piloted by Toa Tahu, Toa Pohatu and Toa Ouna, Akamai is the slower of the pair, Akamai sacrifices speed in favor of strength and power. It possesses one blade on its single arm, electrically superheated to cut Kaiju hide. Its double-arm, massive hammer-hands, able to combine to form a massive hammer to stagger foes. Akamai also contains large volumes of fuel to use in its many ports as flamethrowers and a large railgun in its chest.

Wairuha Wisdom:

Piloted by Toa Gali, Toa Kopaka and Toa Lewa, Wairuha favors speed and agility and makes up for its lack of offensive power by being equipped with more weapons than Akamai. Wairuha possesses a chain sword on one arm which doubles as a spinning makeshift shield, and a blade and an axe on its double-arm which can combine into a longer sword with more reach. Wairuha also has various rocket ports to use in aid of dodging attacks and nitrogen reserves which can freeze Kaiju flesh in seconds. On sea where its agility is more limited, Wairuha is able to suction in water from its surroundings and dispel it to cover a Kaiju’s line of vision.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

May I suggest Tahtorak or Zivon as names for the Kaiju? :P

Anyways, I like the art itself, although it seems to me to just be Pacific Rim art with Bionicle story, rather than Bionicle/Pacific Rim art. Maybe if the Jaeger/Kaita heads looked a bit more like the Kanohi of Wairuha and Akamai it'd fit better. Just a random idea. (Speaking of the story, though, I like how you tied the different powers in with Jaeger-esque tech.)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

May I suggest Tahtorak or Zivon as names for the Kaiju? :P

Anyways, I like the art itself, although it seems to me to just be Pacific Rim art with Bionicle story, rather than Bionicle/Pacific Rim art. Maybe if the Jaeger/Kaita heads looked a bit more like the Kanohi of Wairuha and Akamai it'd fit better. Just a random idea. (Speaking of the story, though, I like how you tied the different powers in with Jaeger-esque tech.)

Yeah it does seem like it looks too Pacific Rim-ish to be Bionicle :/. I was really trying to make unique masks for the Kaita also by combining aspects of the Toa masks together like I did in these but I guess I didn't add enough detail.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/353/9/3/wairuha_by_crunchbitenuva-d5okgi7.png

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/353/b/2/akamai_by_crunchbitenuva-d5okgab.png

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Considering the whole contest sound very PacRim inspired, I have to say I saw this coming.

In any case, this came out rather nicely, especially the colouring of the background and the lighting on the figures recreate that monster-battle at night atmosphere quite well =)

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

woah! this is pretty cool. lovin' the colouring and lineart, as always. as vezok's friend points out, the use of lighting is awesome too.

also i know this was basically indicated with the contest's name but is it wrong for me to notice the slight influence from attack on titan

"I may not be smart enough to try everything, but I'm dumb enough to try anything."

tumblr | deviantART | fanfiction