Epilogue: School Bulletin Board

Any Teenager that could take down a tank would be walking into an extremely difficult situation. Alistair is not protected from their shots, and cutting through it would still be difficult. Yet he might also be the Teenager with the best shot. Also what do you mean by Staff Members, there's only Silvan and myself.

As for consequence, I believe I specifically mentioned that against opponents trying to kill there would be consequences and PCs could easily die by a Demon's mook. Still, like I said before, if you do want to leave you are completely free to. My only goal was trying to clear up any possible misunderstandings both for you and anyone else with similar ideas.

Also for the record a Kung-Fu Master, without any form of protection, if hit by a bullet is going to get hurt. The difficulty is in hitting them, not because they're any faster than a bullet, they're not, but because they might be faster than the person aiming.

Anyhow time to go into the nightmare of finding a way to retcon out Katherine and fix all the bracketing.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Wait-I thought....

Well. I didn't chat with a staff member then. My mistake. A misconception on my part. Bleck. Must have gotten the staff list mixed up with another RPG's. Lovely. Going to have to re-organize my filing system* now. Change "staff member" to "trusted source". Well, sources, really.

If the RPG doesn't fizzle out (not a knock against the RPG, but a disturbing pattern I've noted with RPG's in general lately) then it's going to end with a victory for the Academy. Or a sequel hook.

See, that's actually not that likely at all. If the person handling the gun is at all competent. I know quite alot about modern technology and my reaction to most mythology is somewhere between "That can't work" and "How quaint". I don't like high fantasy. I've been up front about that for the duration of my existence on this website. The fact a debate about creation myths went down in the chat-room tells me about everything I need to know. I also stress, again, that I am not leaving because the RPG is bad, it's quite good, I'm leaving because I don't like the themes. Most fantasy, and as a result, fantasy tropes are written by romance writers (not in the kissing sense, talking about the outlook here) and I'm very very hard to please in the fantasy department. I have some very specific things I like and can accept (or ignore and enjoy the story) because my suspension of disbelief is....much much weaker then most people's. And I rather like it that way.

*Insomuch as a list of active RPG's with staff lists attached is a filing system.....

And honestly, you could just have Katherine drop out. A simple solution.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Current plans don't point to either of those, just putting that out there. The reason this RPG was named Epilogue to begin with was because everyone, on all sides of this conflict, feels like we're reaching the end of this war. One way or another things will come to a head, but its not going to be a bloodless victory for any side. So as for sequels, well such a thing is probably going to be very difficult to be created.

Also that debate was actually just a ton of spam, one person spamming Hairy Giant in caps and the other Mother Spider in caps, if that qualifies as a debate I must be out of the loop. Still I can perfectly understand any thematic issues you may have and so I bid thee farewell.

Logistics here I come.

AlsoI'mtotallygoingtofindthese"TrustedSources"andbeatthemoverthehead.

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

If it helps, I can stick around to finish the duel and then have Katherine leave. Don't want to cause alot of trouble on the way out.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Not to impose, but perhaps it would be prudent to use the departure of a player as an opprotunity to utilize the character? I'm not sure where this plot is going, but something along the lines of "demon breaks through barriers of Venator; possesses student" that concludes with the NPC staff saying they'll handle things - perhaps with the help of a few players, if an odd number occurs during attempts to bracket tournament partners. Though I suppose it may be a bit more difficult to manage two plot lines at once, and perhaps revealing something a little too early on.

I tend not to look a gift suicide in the mouth.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Shadow was a nickname and I said he didn’t understand people, by the way I meant more along the lines he wants to understand people so he can mimic them and mimics what he sees, but yeah that really doesn’t make a lot of sense plus I forgot to put a part of his personality section in, which might of help.

As for specialization, yeah I slacked off there.

My bad I just put in hunter because he can only fight with creatures unless he had an enchanted sword or something, and I didn’t see any reasons to saying things about creatures.

His power wasn’t actually supposed to be a magical power but I’m not going to go into explaining it.

If Auras isn’t in the game that’s that, maybe they can be confirmed later.

And if auras were in the game than that uneasy feeling would probably be there to at least for spiritually sensitive people or people with a high spiritual pressure. But his ability was just supposed to distract people from him.

Thanks for dropping it.

First let me start off by saying he was supposed to be a monk or something along those lines living with others like him somewhere up in Canada (guess I should have put that in the profile). And he knows how people basically act, so he can act like them but, he doesn’t understand why.

And I just meant he had will power.

I have to rush to get this finished because I have to go but one thing doubt worry about him if anything I would put in a different character (one that follows the rules a little closer). Gotta go.

If wise man uses words, and strong man hits things, a wise strong man hits words.

Wait that doesn't seem right.

lhikan_banner.png

@LightLaser So, you're not use that character and hence I have nothing I need to respond to?

@Everyone It appears most people have wrapped things up in terms of character interaction for the most part so I'll be time skipping to the game first thing Tomorrow Morning, around 5 A.M. CST. Also if the things I've been told are correct I won't have to modify bracketing either so that should make things easier on everyone. If you guys have any last minute character interactions you want out of the way, I'd suggest doing it now.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Alright. After talking with the GM, being advised by several people I trust without question, who told me that several things, while annoying, aren't *quite* as bad as I intially made them out to be, aren't worth quitting the RPG for.

See, way I understood it, magic swords could cut through tanks and some teenagers actually stood a chance of beating a tank mano a-mano. When in fact, it was more along the lines of this.

I do want to point out that the Sword thing is also irrelevant because its talking about the theoretical limits of a single blade in the game, while Excalibur is capable of such feats, in Blank's hands its very unlikely he'd last long enough to do any significant damage to the tank in a straight up fight.

So. Yeah. Not what I feared. Someone with a metal sword taking on a tank is something I just can't buy. Was something of a deal-breaker for me. Mostly because it set a tone I don't enjoy. Tanks are good at many things. And frankly, anything they run over is staying run over. I'd imagined someone with a sword standing in front of a charging tank and bisecting it.

Yes. I have seen that before. Many sites don't hold BZP's quality standards when it comes to RPGs.

Edited by Basilisk

So. Yeah. Not what I feared. Someone with a metal sword taking on a tank is something I just can't buy. Was something of a deal-breaker for me. Mostly because it set a tone I don't enjoy. Tanks are good at many things. And frankly, anything they run over is staying run over. I'd imagined someone with a sword standing in front of a charging tank and bisecting it.

Yes. I have seen that before. Many sites don't hold BZP's quality standards when it comes to RPGs.

It's fantasy, Basilisk. Suspend your disbelief and MST3K Mantra the heck out of this stuff and you'll have as much fun as the rest of us without resorting to things either listed as criminal in most countries or barred by the Geneva Convention.

@Everyone It appears most people have wrapped things up in terms of character interaction for the most part so I'll be time skipping to the game first thing Tomorrow Morning, around 5 A.M. CST. Also if the things I've been told are correct I won't have to modify bracketing either so that should make things easier on everyone. If you guys have any last minute character interactions you want out of the way, I'd suggest doing it now.

Ooh, an hour before I wake up.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

We've danced this dance before Lev and I've no interest in another.

Edited by Basilisk

It's fantasy, Basilisk. Suspend your disbelief and MST3K Mantra the heck out of this stuff and you'll have as much fun as the rest of us without resorting to things either listed as criminal in most countries or barred by the Geneva Convention.

A sword cutting clean through several human beings? Acceptable. A sword cutting through a hunk of metal and electronics bigger than a semi (without the trailer)? Not acceptable.

Which brings to question: just how strong are most nobles? I'd expect the vampires to be of the (toned down) flying brick variety in terms of stock powers, but it seems that many other nobles are no more physically durable than humans. So what's going to stop some dude with a gun unleashing bullet ###### on a kitsune or a thunderbird? Unless having weaknesses implies that they're resistant to everything else, they look like that a normal human (with proper combat training) can take one on and have a realistic chance of survival.

Also, how much do the "muggles" (particularly government) know about this supernatural war? And how far are they willing to intervene?

Edited by Crimson Superball

My favorite trope.

Some of you brought this on yourselves. I feel no pity. Tvtropes shall consume you, body and soul.

Edited by Basilisk

I would point out Thunderbird feathers are exceedingly tough and were worn by the slayers of them for protection. I could see them stopping small arms, though fifty calibers will get into the cray cray range.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

A sword cutting clean through several human beings? Acceptable. A sword cutting through a hunk of metal and electronics bigger than a semi (without the trailer)? Not acceptable.

Your average steel sword? No. A magic sword that transforms into a giant energy beam when swung and slices through everything a number of yards in front of it? Yes. Because it's a fantasy setting. There is magic. Magic can be used to do stuff that is magical. A magic sword can do stuff that is magical because it is magic.

A magic sword able to cut through anything could also cut a tank in half, if it were fifty feet long. The problem comes from lifting it, as most people cannot lift a sword that long or wield it.

Also, how much do the "muggles" (particularly government) know about this supernatural war? And how far are they willing to intervene?

To be frank, I'd be surprised if there weren't multiple nobles in hiding among the government actively working to keep things toned down. Not like the Academy or anyone else can stop them.

... unless maybe they are, and many assassinated politicians or rulers was a Noble of some sort. That would mess up the JFK conspiracies a lot more than a grassy knoll.

So. Feathers, soft, downy, made for flight can somehow shrug off bullets?

EDIT: Magic because magic is just lazy.

Edited by Basilisk

The feathers could be explained in the same principle as to how Superman can shrug off bullets: enhanced durability. The bonds between the particles (somewhere a physicist should be crying right about now) must be much stronger than normal feathers but the feathers themselves are still light and "featherish" enough, if you will, to facilitate flight. It could be that certain magical items have much stronger subatomic bonds than mundane items, allowing a piece of enchanted graphite to be more durable than diamond even though the way the atoms join together would suggest otherwise (random example). The overall durability of the bonds, not the way they are arranged, is increased.

The sword turning into a beam sword that can extend itself makes more sense than just a super-durable blade. That solves the problem of the swing arc not being large enough to slice the tank. Though it's still crazy. And yes, somewhere a magus, a military engineer, and a martial artist are crying right now.

Edited by Crimson Superball

You don't really understand how birds fly do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather

Long story short, unless you strap a jet engine to the butt of that metal bird, it isn't flying. Metal tends to weigh alot more then soft downy stuff.

EDIT: And you editted out the part I was responding to. The rest, on the face of it, is at least enough to pass by my suspension of disbelief.

Edited by Basilisk

Ah. Apologies. Rereading it, it makes more sense then handwaving with "because magic". Frankly, such things are an insult to the intellect of the reader in my viewpoint.

Unfortunately, they are still alot of problems with Thunderbirds. You see, you'd think if you took an ant and increased it to fifty times it's size it'd be able to lift a heck of alot of stuff. It....doesn't work that way at all. Ants can lift so much relative to their size because they're so small...well, just read this.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SquareCubeLaw

Big birds have alot of big problems. Frankly, we need to nail down just what magic can do before we can even attempt a serious investigation of it's effects on the laws of the universe. Otherwise we'll just have a bunch of lazy handwaves....and we've already covered what I think those do.

Edited by Basilisk

Attempting to analyse a magic universe usully ends in tears because fundamentally a lot of the feats of magic do not mesh with our view of the universe. It's like getting a rather large piece of a puzzle and attempting to shove it onto a nearly completed piece of another puzzle; it's incredibly difficult to pull off. But really, the physics of the universe don't reallly have much importance in the grander scheme of the Rpg as the existence of deities and creatures from so many religions and mythologies around the world means that there will have been ridiculous feats such as shooting down the sun or turning a city to ash occurring sometime in the past of this Rpg.Really, what's more important than the physics is the history: how the world of the Rpg differs from our own. The history of the magical organisations that populate the planet. The political tensions between those organisations. The super important choice of whether to eat cocoa puffs or milo cereal for breakfast.Much easier to sit back and troll around.

Perhaps with Thunderbirds their feathers produce some sort of electromagnetic field strong enough to swerve bullets aside like a forcefield, and provide a lifting force that would allow Thunderbirds to fly without breaking wings that shouldn't last five minutes in earth's gravity. They are creatures of lightning after all.

And yes I'm aware electromagnetism doesn't work outside of that one Street Fighter movie. Thats where the magic comes in :P

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Sigh. I find myself in constant need of that vid, I leave for a few hours and we have discussions about sword beams, physics, handwaves, politics, and cereal? Just for good measure.

Which brings to question: just how strong are most nobles? I'd expect the vampires to be of the (toned down) flying brick variety in terms of stock powers, but it seems that many other nobles are no more physically durable than humans. So what's going to stop some dude with a gun unleashing bullet ###### on a kitsune or a thunderbird? Unless having weaknesses implies that they're resistant to everything else, they look like that a normal human (with proper combat training) can take one on and have a realistic chance of survival. Also, how much do the "muggles" (particularly government) know about this supernatural war? And how far are they willing to intervene?

Most Nobles don't have many powers that would defend them from directly from being hit with a bullet, however most Nobles also don't concern themselves too much with modern day stuff. Also you're confusing Academy Nobles with actual grown Nobles, many of the powers are quite advanced for Nobles that have grown over the years. So while they couldn't necessarily stop a bullet from killing them, they could always: use illusions to make the person shoot the wrong spot, move much faster than the aim of the human, incinerate them before they have a chance to do anything, etc.

Its also worth pointing out, like I did to Basilisk, one of the main reasons Swords and Bows are so popular in the stuff beyond the Shroud is because they're reusable. See, Enchanted weaponry is generally required to deal with Creatures and Demons if you plan on doing any harm to them, generally these enchantments are just basic things that allow them to do damage. The thing about guns is that you need every bullet enchanted and then you'll need to buy brand new enchanted bullets, considering how much punishment some Creatures and Demons can take you can see how the costs can begin wracking up. Whereas with Swords and Bows can be enchanted once and they'll generally last the live of the wielder, unless you're a terrible Archer who wastes all his arrows. In which case you should just learn already that my approach of meticulously making sure I don't lose/waste arrows in Skyrim is infinitely better.

Do note that the protection mentioned above really doesn't apply to Nobles for when they evolved so much beyond the basic creatures, they also lost some of the Demonic traits that granted them the protection in the first place.

As far as government knowledge, most know nothing, however there are high ranking Nobles, Exorcists, Hunters, etc within many of those organizations to make sure things at least remain smoothly for going ons beyonds the Shroud.

Dang writing so much this early in the morning? Ah well, more to come soon, timeskip imminent.

One more time for good measure.

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Then you have ridiculously enchanted gun that needs more explanation.

For example Brie's gun can use transmutation to modify blocks into individual enchanted bullets.

EDIT: Here are the Current Brackets to serve as a reminder, please note your order on the list, it matters.

Alistair - Katherine and Adrian - Alexander

Dante - Shanon and Agnes - Brennus

Misayo - Vinnie and Brianna-Karen

Eduardo - Abraham and Tim - Septimus

Ren - Soma and Kyle-Vincent

Bart-???/NPC and Zach-Jeff

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

I have edited Noel and Ciel. The Classification should be okay. And I've put in Ciel's contract terms.

Life comes, and life goes, flowing like the tide.

Peace ebbs, and peace flows, often fleeting just like time.

Love can last, but only so, there isn't much before you die.

People pass, come to and fro. And eventually revenge too, doe lie.

For in the the end, it's only the vengent who lasts forever.

The Vengent Spectre.

For Rose/Ciel/Whatever(That name is rather odd to begin with) you're still confusing Summoners and Smiters, Summoners don't form a contract with a being. They perform a ritual in which they draw a Demon to them, said Demon and the Summoner will then enter a mental battle of wills in which the Summoner will prove to them that they are worthy of being the master. Should they successfully do such, then they can summon the creature to fight for them.

Second off her ability is way to powerful, generally speaking manipulating the structure of anything is a super powerful ability to begin, even with a high drawback it still means you could go up to a building and collapse the entire thing with a touch. I don't care if doing such will cause a paralyzing injury, fact is you could still wipe out a massive group of people, with a touch.

Now, on to Noel for now, as you'll need to fix those things before we can proceed much further. Once again I have the same issues with abilities, she still has two abilities all still fairly developed. Triple her body weight is a lot, if she weighs say 100 lbs, which is extremely common, that means she can lift 300 pounds easily. A giant panda generally weighs less than that, with females never reaching that weight. Now you're saying that's not even her limit, that's extremely powerful.

As for the shape shifting, it is also too much, you're saying she morph into 4 different animals and changer her appearance? That seems rather excessive. For a student I'd expect one, maybe two animals they can shift into, or be able to change their appearance while still maintaining the same body type.

Also sorry guys for not having the post up yet, I was working on it, but then I linked Power Rangers stuff to you and that well sent me on a nostalgia rush... which waste a ton of time. Sorry. I'll get it up soon.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

So we're talking about your average pin, right?

Does it need to actually penetrate the persons clothing or garments, or do you simply need to make contact with them? Which is to say - if you jam a pin into a stone statue and it doesn't penetrate, does it count? :P

Also, what exactly defines "the donkey cannot fight back?" Does that mean you can't fight at all, or just that you can't fight having the pin? Say, grabbing a handful of dirt or "tripping" and "falling" and landing in just a manner so your leg is in just the right position to "accidentally" trip the guy chasing you and knocking him to the ground?

....And we're back to me having trouble with the themes of the RPG.

Well don't go quitting before we get a chance to go up against you in that arena, eh? It doesn't take too much fantastic imagination to stab people with sharp objects. The manner of the stabbing, sure, but that doesn't even need to be fantastic.

Just one question - name a science-fiction, fantasy, or science-fantasy genre series that was both successful and obeyed all real-world laws in the way actions were performed. I'm not saying there aren't any, don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are some, and you'd be the person to ask. Which is why I'm asking.

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

Average Pin.

Needs to stick to them, either by penetrating clothing or skin. As for Brennus, I'll be honest, I forgot about him, um... wow this is troublesome. Guess Brennus lucked out. =P Maybe I'll think of a solution, but boy this is bothersome, could always leave it to the players to figure out a way to make a pin stick to him. Well at least Brennus won't have as much luck in the next game planned.

As for not fighting back, I never said there weren't loopholes. It is your job to find them.

EDIT: Ugh just realized, I'm one of the players competing against you.

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Average Pin.

Needs to stick to them, either by penetrating clothing or skin. As for Brennus, I'll be honest, I forgot about him, um... wow this is troublesome. Guess Brennus lucked out. =P Maybe I'll think of a solution, but boy this is bothersome, could always leave it to the players to figure out a way to make a pin stick to him. Well at least Brennus won't have as much luck in the next game planned.

As for not fighting back, I never said there weren't loopholes. It is your job to find them.

EDIT: Ugh just realized, I'm one of the players competing against you.

Well, I suppose you could... put them on his shoulders or something... and hope they don't fall off... *shrug*

So that opens up other another idea; the other one I developed is a bit riskier (but more entertaining). And Constructman may have one that's even better.

And it's not as bad as the other match I have. Wimpy and Demon-Possessed Hunter vs. Sword in the Stone and Psychopath Realist. If Basilisk doesn't kill someone (with the blanks) I'll be surprised.