Epilogue: School Bulletin Board

Hubert why'd you bring up crossbreeds, that's a whole mess of a subject I don't even want to think about. Still haven't decided my stance on if they exist, if someone tried to approve such a character it would take one heck of an awesome profile to get approved by me.

Also yeah, License thing was meant for Laser, sorry about that, it was late i was tired. Also Laser forgot to say this before but once you fix the car thing, Haya Approved.

@Takanuvainika As the others have mentioned, height at that age is just asking for lots of problems. The kid Lev mentioned in India, my parents, who are doctors, and I were actually discussing him a while back. They specifically mentioned the large number of problems he was bound to face, all of the other people who have grown to be really tall have, without fail, had a complication of some sort causing their death. However we're getting hung up on one problem.

First off killing a seamonster, let alone killing it underwater, is just not possible for someone with the skill level of a Student. Let alone before a trained Hunter has enough time to react. Him getting to the scene before the Hunter I can buy, but beating the creature too? That sounds highly unlikely. Even if the Hunter was on the other side of the boat, any professional Hunter would still react fast enough to get to the other side of the boat within seconds, maybe a minute if they were blocked getting to the other side.

Also I need a limit on the strength enhancements as well as some sort of balancer. If you'll notice, all other strength enhancing objects and things have some form of a balance. For example, despite Excalibur being capable of increasing Alistair's strength 1.5 to 2 times his normal, it also tires Alistair out much faster. Similarly Dante can increase his strength, but it requires a sacrifice of some sort.

Finally, I'm confused as towards if he's really a Hunter, since the only time you mention creatures, and not Demons, is when he fights the sea monster. Every other time its about him fighting Demons or something. With the exception of one paragraph.

@Snarky First off, the bold headings look so much nicer. Also why'd you have to steal the name Cross, I was going to have some teacher or something show up with that last name. Sir Richard Cross, the Golden Lion Knight, yes he is chock full of references.

Ahem, I'm way off topic, back to the profile. I'm assuming the reference to angels is entire metaphorical right? Next, I'll need to know what the range of the strength sapping is. Also, you may have addressed this, but considering the ungodly hours I look at things I'm not seeing it, but how exactly can her restraints be broken, both temporarily and permanently. One final qualm, which is more of a nitpick than anything else, I find it hard to believe that an entity that's been in her head for years, is still referred to as the entity. If nothing else I'd imagine Annabeth would have named him something, Humans have a tendency to name things because if nothing else it makes it easier for use to refer to them.

Like a stray cat you find wandering in your backyard, even if you rarely interact with the cat, you generally do give it a name by the fourth or fifth time you've seen it. Again though, this is just a nitpick and won't stop me from approving it.

As for spelling/grammatical nonsense, I'm sure this post is a mess as well, I do these things at terrible hours.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

*cracks fingers*First off, yes, the angels reference is completely metaphorical. Second, you can still have Mr. Cross show up. I would rather suspect that "Cross" is a somewhat common name. I mean, my name's odd and there are plenty of them. :pNow, on the actual issues. I'll tackle them in order of ease. As of now, there is no known way for the gauntlets' effect to be permanently broken. The person or people who modified them were quite careful to minimize the chance that they would be broken, and as such, while a temporary break is possible, a permanent one is not yet feasible. Nor is it desired by anyone save the entity.

The question of the drain effect is a very good one, and one I had to spend a substantial amount of time thinking about. :P It is, in large part, affected by distance. Its area of effect is roughly the size of a baseball diamond without the outfield, with Annabeth herself at the center of it it, and the area extending out from that center point. However, someone on, say, the outer edge is not going to be heavily affected. They'll feel a slight drain, but nothing severe. The closer one gets to the center, the more the entity is able to drain, thus they get weaker as they approach the center. And I left the entity's name as unknown because, well, no one knows what it is. Annabeth probably has a few ways that she refers to it, however, which will be elaborated on in the future.

Translation: I was too lazy to name it right off the bat.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I'm still unsure of how a temporary break is caused. I see, I just need you to define slight drain and you should be good. Also do pay attention to when I describe arenas and the like during tournaments, for example the current arenas are four times the size of the baseball diamond in field. Like I said that was a nitpick. I'dstillpreferyoustopbeinglazythough.=P

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

...Knew I was forgetting to mention something. XD

A temporary break is never accomplished consciously, at least not by Annabeth. They can be accomplished through a few methods, but they all stem from the same logic; If a situation causes enough distress, be it anger or fear, the gauntlets are hard-pressed to keep her normal power levels contained. Now, depending on the level of anger or fear, this alone can be enough. Faced with the prospect of dying, for example, the fight-or-flight reaction could be enough to cause a temporary break. However, the level of such emotions necessary is quite high, and thus, such breaks are rare. What is more common is for her to reach a heightened level of one of those, or similar, emotions and for the entity to choose that moment to fight the gauntlets' restriction. Such an effect can overcome the gauntlets and cause a temporary break, but during that heightened power level, Annabeth is even more susceptible than normal to the entity, due to the method used to accomplish the break.A slight drain would be fairly minimal; one might notice they tire easier, or that things seem heavier. Nothing drastic. As explained above, that increases the closer they get.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Don't worry guys.

This tall dude obviously has magical ogre genes in his blood.

Perfectly normal for him to be tall.

(Because really, we live in a world where other sapient creatures exist. It isn't too difficult to imagine cross-breeding.)

Actually I originally planned for him to by a descendent of Beowulf.

@Takanuvainika As the others have mentioned, height at that age is just asking for lots of problems. The kid Lev mentioned in India, my parents, who are doctors, and I were actually discussing him a while back. They specifically mentioned the large number of problems he was bound to face, all of the other people who have grown to be really tall have, without fail, had a complication of some sort causing their death. However we're getting hung up on one problem.

First off killing a seamonster, let alone killing it underwater, is just not possible for someone with the skill level of a Student. Let alone before a trained Hunter has enough time to react. Him getting to the scene before the Hunter I can buy, but beating the creature too? That sounds highly unlikely. Even if the Hunter was on the other side of the boat, any professional Hunter would still react fast enough to get to the other side of the boat within seconds, maybe a minute if they were blocked getting to the other side.

Also I need a limit on the strength enhancements as well as some sort of balancer. If you'll notice, all other strength enhancing objects and things have some form of a balance. For example, despite Excalibur being capable of increasing Alistair's strength 1.5 to 2 times his normal, it also tires Alistair out much faster. Similarly Dante can increase his strength, but it requires a sacrifice of some sort.

Finally, I'm confused as towards if he's really a Hunter, since the only time you mention creatures, and not Demons, is when he fights the sea monster. Every other time its about him fighting Demons or something. With the exception of one paragraph.

I can make him a little over six feet tall. I meant that he dove in before the hunter could react not that he killed it before the hunter could react. Really I only put that in there as an excuse for him to be late for school also I used it as an oppertunity to break his sword, besides it could have been a small seamonster and when he dove in, it grabbed him and tried to eat him but he stabbed his sword into it's mouth, mortally wounding it, it bit down on his sword, breaking it, and after thrashing around a bit, died. At least that's how it played out in my head.

As for his strength I really don't what an proper upper limit is. But as for a balancer I was thinking the collar would slowly feed off his muscles as he uses it, meaning every time he uses it feeds of his muscles forcing him to exercise to rebuild that lost muscle, this may not be to much of a drawback he has so much muscle that he could have it on for some time before he suffered any serious muscle loss but keep in mind that he really doesn't have any other powers or skills besides wrestling and that isn't much use without strength.

I think I've removed all the referances to him fighting demons if you see any more please tell me.

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

We already went over characters being the decedents of heroes a few pages back. It was intertwined with the discussion about whether or not humans could have powers without calling on something else. As interesting as it might be none of the students are going to be of the line of a mythological hero.

It would probably be best if you just got rid of the sea monster part. If he had done that then he would have been dead no matter how small it was.The sword does not need to be broken and you don't really need a reason for why he was late.

As for the limiter, it doesn't really work. It takes time to build up muscle and to avoid him turning himself into a skeleton I would assume that he loses the muscle fairly slowly. All in all, it is a long term thing, with effects that at the very least will not be seen for some time. He needs something that will effect him in the short term, day to day playing of the of the RPG.

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

As for the limiter, it doesn't really work. It takes time to build up muscle and to avoid him turning himself into a skeleton i would assume that he losses the muscle fairly slowly. All in all, it is a long term thing, with effects that at the very least will not be seen for some time. He needs something that will effect him in the short term, day to day playing of the of the RPG.

Well... you could modify it to actually destroy muscle cells. To those unfamiliar - muscle cells don't multiply. They can be enlarged, but you don't gain new cells. It's determined by genetics and all that. So if the collar actually destroyed muscle cells, it could actually weaken him over time until he became completely dependent on its magical enchantment to keep fighting. So instead of growing more powerful over the course of the RPG, he grows weaker.

Basically, it's a cursed item that promises great power, but really just wants to eat away at a being completely.

Sounds fun.

Oh my flights of fancy and talking about how to torment people...

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

As for the limiter, it doesn't really work. It takes time to build up muscle and to avoid him turning himself into a skeleton i would assume that he losses the muscle fairly slowly. All in all, it is a long term thing, with effects that at the very least will not be seen for some time. He needs something that will effect him in the short term, day to day playing of the of the RPG.

Well... you could modify it to actually destroy muscle cells. To those unfamiliar - muscle cells don't multiply. They can be enlarged, but you don't gain new cells. It's determined by genetics and all that. So if the collar actually destroyed muscle cells, it could actually weaken him over time until he became completely dependent on its magical enchantment to keep fighting. So instead of growing more powerful over the course of the RPG, he grows weaker.

Basically, it's a cursed item that promises great power, but really just wants to eat away at a being completely.

Sounds fun.

Oh my flights of fancy and talking about how to torment people...

Personally, I would love to see this. Especially since the heart is a muscle.

But unfortunately, while interesting and limiting in the long run, it doesn't do much in the short term. Especially since we still have no clearly defined upper limit to his strength when using the artifact.

fK5oqYf.jpg

But unfortunately, while interesting and limiting in the long run, it doesn't do much in the short term. Especially since we still have no clearly defined upper limit to his strength when using the artifact.

Well, there is a limit in place based on a lack of definition - nothing says it does anything to relieve pain. Maybe something like "strong enough to take down a stone door, but he'd still suffer all of the consequences of striking a stone door with that much speed/force and break his hand."

No, scratch that. Relives the pain, not the injuries. So he could break his hand and not even notice until he turned the thing off. Ooh, even more clever. Whenever the wearer did something that harmed them, they would learn to start using the device to relieve the pain until they could treat the injury. That means even more rapid consumption over time, and thus, making the item more potent...

Ooh... this is so going to show up in a D&D game one day. "Cursed Collar of Stone Giant Strength" has a nice ring to it.

Lev, have I mentioned how much I love you?

You hear something new every day. Today, I heard two new things - this, and a conversation I would prefer to never let be repeated.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

How about this:

His collar has the power to absorb and release kinetic energy, this means whenever he gets hit or hits something it stores power in his collar, this doesn’t reduce the damage he takes or gives at all, it just gives power to the collar as well. He can release this energy when ever he wants and can control how much he releases at a time; for instance if he is punching then he releases some energy into his hand to make his punch more powerful how much more powerful depends on how much energy he puts into it.

Example: He is fighting an ogre or something, it punches him into a wall, the collar absorbs energy from both the hit and the impact with the wall, he slowly gets up, the ogre charges at him and he grabs it’s arm and using it’s own momentum, swings it into the wall while twisting it’s arm behind it’s back then he releases enough energy into his hands to continue twisting it’s arm until it breaks.

Any problems?

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

I'm afraid that until further notice I won't be able to post or reply to anything for an unknown amount of time, the charger to my laptop has died and therefore so has my laptop.

Life comes, and life goes, flowing like the tide.

Peace ebbs, and peace flows, often fleeting just like time.

Love can last, but only so, there isn't much before you die.

People pass, come to and fro. And eventually revenge too, doe lie.

For in the the end, it's only the vengent who lasts forever.

The Vengent Spectre.

Submitting the first of (hopefully) many:

Name: David Heron

Type: Partially Possessed Exorcist

Specialization: Noble Hunter, Blaster

Appearance: David has dark blonde hair with one blue eye and one yellow, catlike eye. He is fairly lanky and tall. He (though he claims it was Zsy’s doing) has altered his uniform, tinting the tie red, and though it isn’t quite noticeable at first glance, his jacket and pants are slightly redder than usual as well.

Personality: Before he was possessed, David was quiet, serious, and some might say a little depressed. Then, of course, he met and was possessed by Zsy. “Zsy” isn’t her actual name, but is the closest one can get using English letters and syllables. She was David’s polar opposite--loud, violent, and happy with a sadistic sense of humor and an odd penchant for the color red. When their minds met, David’s psyche was shattered, worsening his depression and making him unstable and at times dangerous. He tries to cover for his solemn thoughts by cracking jokes (aptly and endlessly supplied by Zsy, of course), though his darker side still slips through this facade on occasion.

Biography: David went through most of his life as a normal child, at least up until he turned seven. One weekend, the tomato plant in his parents’ garden tried to strangle him. He was brought to the local hospital with severe bruising around his neck and minor lacerations across his arms and chest. No matter how much he insisted that he had been attacked by a vegetable, the doctors and his parents wrote it off on account of his overactive imagination, quite nearly convincing him that it had actually been a snake.

Then came the voice--her voice. The nature spirit known as Zsy whispered to him while he slept, and David theorizes this is when she started worming her way into his mind; it wasn’t until shortly after his freshman year in high school while he was taking a summer training class on firearms that she managed to take hold of him, but even then, David managed to resist her. He was admitted to a mental hospital after a nervous breakdown that nearly ended in his death, but his parents were soon approached from representatives of Venator Academy. He was enrolled in no time and plans to put his previous knowledge in the field of firearms to good use.

Skills/Abilities: David is decently accurate with a gun, and while he is by no means a professional swordsman, he can hold his own when the time comes for blades to be drawn.

Weapons: Two Glock-22’s with extended magazines that can be switched between full- and semi-automatic. The bullets he carries with him are usually silver-tipped and blessed by one or more Holy Verses. He also carries a dagger, though it isn’t special beyond a thin layer of silver over its sharp edges; he worries that any further enchantment could hurt Zsy and, by extension, him.

Weaknesses: David’s depression can overtake him at times, at worst depriving him of the will to do...well, anything. His instability makes him unpredictable, and if he experiences a high degree of any negative emotion (i.e. anger, sadness, etc.), it weakens his resistance to Zsy’s control, making him even more unstable and possibly damaging his mind permanently.

Name: Zsy

Type: Demon

Classification: Unknown

Appearance: Zsy’s possession has turned David’s right eye yellow with a catlike pupil. This eye glows faintly in darkness. As Zsy’s influence over David increases, other changes can occur, such as noticeably pointed teeth, more relaxed, casual posture, and an increased tendency to grin maniacally.

Personality: Zsy is happy most of the time, though it isn’t readily apparent if she enjoys the suffering of others or just doesn’t know that what she does is considered cruel. She has a sense of humor that most would consider twisted, but she thinks her jokes are hilarious. She also has an odd penchant for the color red.

Biography: Zsy gained entry into the mortal realm by possessing a tomato plant in the backyard of the Heron household. One afternoon, much to her dismay, a child named David Heron marched into the garden on his father’s orders and tried to take one of her tomatoes. She retaliated violently, but in the ensuing struggle, the plant was killed, so she latched on to David and, having been weakened by the destruction of her “home,” slowly began to work her way into his mind. After nearly a decade, she found herself a spot in his head and rooted herself there, but still wasn’t able to gain complete control.

Weaknesses: She still hasn’t returned to her full strength since the day she found David, and in all likelihood won’t for a very long time, as she was a weaker spirit to begin with. Thanks to the physical changes wrought by the possession, it’s just shy of blatantly obvious that David’s mind is occupied by more than one personality, making her an easy target for those who may wish to expel her from this realm.

Edited by Zyke the Space Biker

67tlbk.png

@Everyone I've made a post to keep things moving in the tournament, it is basically a description of the different NPC teams and their actions to start things off. Also if people don't mind, I'm thinking of making the future rounds/games PC-only, while this will be a little unfair to the upcoming teams, it should speed things up a fair amount.

@Takanuvainika That power also seems rather OP, there's absolutely no real drawback to it. Taking the same amount of damage as everyone else is not a drawback in this RPG. Plus a power like that means nearly any fight he's in could easily end in a draw, doesn't matter if he's getting beaten up terrible, all the damage done to him can be applied on his opponent in one fight. Plus the storing up of power means that over time he could accumulate loads of power, especially when in getting hit in non-lethal situations like this tournament.

@Zyke Couple of things, first off being both an Exorcist and Hunter will just leave him noticeably weaker at both considering the amount of training needed for both. Next the classification for the Demon in the case of possessed beings is supposed to be left as unknown. Finally Nature Spirits are generally far too weak to even possess a Human, they possess, as the name suggests, plants and animals of nature.

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Hey guys, sorry about disappearing for a bit, I've been out of the house more than in during my waking hours these last couple days. Learning to drive, School, Cross Country, etc, have been taking up my time. I'll aim to get some posts up soon, so yeah, sorry about this delay.

@CM I'm am interested in the idea but I'll need to see more, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to talk more about it before creating a profile.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg