2 Pakari designs?

I was randomly looking at matoran on Biosector01 when I saw that Midak's pakari looked different then other pakari masks so I checked other matoran, Nuparu had the normal pakari like the one Onua mata had but Nixie also had the same pakari design as Midak atleast in mnog 1. Is there a cause for this difference?

• Upvote 1

wearewaiting.gif

I am Talo last of the toa of the lost element of AWESOME.

That is just the result of Templar changing their art style to better reflect how the Kanohi appeared in sets. This change took place when they were animating the Bohrok animations, which is why in the first episode Pakari were drawn the MNOLG way and in the second episode they were drawn the MNOLG2 way. In-story, there is no difference between the two designs.

• Upvote 1

Also, Templar originally confused the Great Pakari for the Noble Ruru on several occasions (on Matoran), so a number of Matoran appear to have a Pakari in MNOG1 but have a Ruru in MNOG2 and in set form, like Hafu:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Hafu#Trivia

Apparently in some cases this actually did have storyline significance:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Kapura#Mask_and_Tools

I think BS01 is judging by the sets there; Kapura's Metru form is known, and had a Pakari, so they go with the MNOG Pakari being accurate, then lost at the start of the Bohrok War somehow (or replaced in general). But Hafu's 2001 set had a Ruru, so MNOG's portrayal is simply wrong (plus with the Pakari he looks almost identical to Taipu, minus eye color). Since Greg said the sets (or what they represent) are most canon.

You should be able to tell which route is used in each case by consulting their BS01 pages. :) I haven't checked every single one, though.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Wait, THAT was a Pakari? I always wondered what that mask was...

Technically it was "half Pakari, half Noble Ruru." If you notice, the parts of the Pakari's texture they kept are nearly identical to the texture on the Ruru. But the outline is clearly Pakari so most people just call it that.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

Some masks can be custom designed. The Toa Hagah's masks are examples.

Yes, but this would be more of a Lhikan's-Hau-Mold example than a Norik's-Pehkui (etc.) one, as that mask isn't an exact copy of another type (in which case we wouldn't know anyway without the telltale powers). Doesn't matter, though, since this is just a design error. Canonically, they have either a standard-mold Great-shaped Pakari or Noble-shaped Ruru.

toatanusignature.png