What Sites Are Okay To Link To?

Bambi

I assume we've all seen the latest new concerning BZP. :P I'm wondering, are places like Tumblr, deviantArt, or Furaffinity allowed to be linked to/mentioned?

I also assume we can't post any sort of videos with swearing in them? And we are free to mention sites with forums/commenting systems as long as they're SFW?

Just making sure. c:

Edited by Bambi

Previously we could link to dA, but never mention it.

Also one other thing, is there a limit to how many videos we can embed in one post? And are we allowed to do video-only posts, or will the rule be the same as the image-only posts (as in we can do a video-only post only in a blog entry)?

Edited by Bambi

I was going to wait for the talkback topic to be made to ask for some clarification, but this will do. :PMany forums do not have as strict language guidelines as we have here. So while the content is entirely appropriate (what I am thinking of now is a fan site for Transformers, for example), members are allowed to swear. I imagine the warning when leaving the site should be sufficient to notify people of this possibility. I would find it fine to link to such places with the warning now in place, but as "swearing" was in the list of things not allowed in the news article, I wish to double check this. Obviously a curse-laden blog entry or music video would not be allowed, but I don't see why an ordinary forum shouldn't.~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I believe that as long as the page to which you are linking does not violate BZP's guidelines, then it is fair game. We cannot control which links you follow from that page - hence the popup.

And yes, you are now free to mention these sites by name. In fact, you can mention any site by name; that part forbidding this has been removed from the guidelines. Sites not allowed to be mentioned will be covered by the word filter, so don't worry about slipping up.

Edited by -Windrider-

For that, go by the rules of the forum in question. I think COT and G&T are the only two that forbid image-only posts at the moment, so as a leader in both of those forums, I'll make an executive decision and say that video-only posts are not allowed there as well. Otherwise, go for it. (And let's be honest, that rule is pretty easily circumvented and I'm planning to look into removing it anyway. But for now...) :>

If what's on the page you're linking to would be allowed if it were a BZPower post/blog, then you can link to it. So sites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr and other sites where content is user-generated, the page/post/video you link would need to be appropriate per BZPower's Rules and Guidelines.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

The limited video count per post is 3, that's just how it works, Vimeo, YouTube or not. I'm sure that can be changed. Perhaps a Tracker Ticket can be made... -Rez

I'm not sure we'd want more than three videos in a post. There may be a setting to control it somewhere though. You can definitely make a Tracker ticket and we can see what people think.

• 4 weeks later...

Is TV Tropes okay to link to?

I'd say it depends on the article you link to. Knowing the site, good luck with that. :P-Gata signoff.png

Pretty much this. Here's B6's take on it:

Wait, are we allowed to mention the Bionicle wiki and TV tropes now? I guess I shouldn't be giving people any ideas...

You can mention them, but I'd be careful about linking to TV Tropes.

Are you saying that because of content or because you don't want BZP responsible for letting people become consumed with TV Tropes?

A little of both. ;) It's more because on a lot of the pages I've seen there's content that wouldn't be appropriate for BZPower.

I'm assuming that a wiki that links to a forum is okay to link to, so long as there is nothing against the rules, correct?

Yes!

excellent. this suits my plans perfectly.

To take over the world and/or bzpower? :P

Also, I might use that someday, but eh, yer never know. But hey, great update! :D

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

• 2 months later...

What if I link a video to youtube and the video is appropriate while the comments aren't?

That's fine. No one can ever control that, and it's up to the user's discretion to choose whether or not to read the comments in the video. If you want to be the safest, just embed the video in your posts, messages, etc. You can't view the comments through embedded videos.

-Rez