Advertising Policy Revised

Please note: Most of what I'm about to say is NOT "the official answer" per se, just advice. :)

I hate to be all negative again, but the "now leaving BZP" thing is quite annoying. I understand why we need it there, of course... but is there some way to, perhaps, disable that warning in our profile settings?

My guess is we'll get used to it. Just one more click, and it's common on other sites already. Keep in mind too that it's not adding a step but removing steps that previously had to be done (subtly implying the direction of a google search or whatever and hoping people would figure it out mainly, without actually mentioning a disallowed site at all), and/or making something possible that just wasn't.

That's probably obvious but yeah.

So... I have a question about content appropriate for links.My Facebook isn't political. USUALLY. But occasionally I share a politics-related news story on there, or voice my opinion on a political issue.

So is it okay for me to post a link to my Facebook page if I'm not linking directly to one of those posts? Is it okay to link to a particular post that doesn't bring up politics, if other posts of mine elsewhere on the site might do so? How many degrees of separation do there need to be between a page I link to and pages that might be inappropriate on BZPower?The way I see it, my Facebook is fairly non-offensive, and I try to maintain the same level of decorum on there as I would on any other site (including BZPower). The religion/politics restriction on BZP exists so that flame wars don't start, and whenever I approach a political or otherwise controversial subject on Facebook I try to do so with a level head and with empathy for those who feel differently.

But I grew up immersed in a media landscape, including politics, religion, and all that jazz. I'm an avid follower of the news, and when I find a story I like, or that interests me, I like to share it along with my thoughts about the content and style of said story. If one of my friends posts about a subject I have a different opinion on, I like to engage them in debate so that I can better understand their position, as well as share my reasoning for my own. And I'm certainly not prepared to change my posting habits on Facebook just so I can link there from BZP.So, where do we draw the line? Has my discussion of subjects we would not be allowed to broach on BZP voided my opportunity to share my social media profiles with people here?

Personally, if you have to ask in any instance, then if I were you I'd err on the side of caution and not do it.

Also, keep in mind it can be risky to release personal info like real name and the sorts of other info often revealed on FB publicly. FB is best used with a privacy option so only people you trust can see it, or with extreme caution as to what goes on there. Most people use neither and that opens them up to a lot of trouble.

So, even without getting into your specific question (which I'm not 100% sure of the correct answer myself), I would think twice before doing that, just on that basis alone. If you can just quote the content here, that's still an option as we used to do (especially if it's your own content); just because technically you CAN link there doesn't mean you HAVE to do so in order to put the content here (where applicable).

All that said, I THINK the right answer is that as long as the content you're directly linking to follows BZP rules it's fine (see previous answers by other staff).

I know that for deviantart for example that will be the rule. There's some great art I know of that I still can't link to the pages with comments because the artist accompanied the art with inappropriate comments, for example. But linking to the art directly should be fine as it has been for a while, and linking to a separate page that's entirely appropriate on the same site should be fine. Pretty sure the same principle applies to Facebook.

As I understand it. :)

If you want a definite answer, though, ignore me. :P

Lmao, BZP is desperate because they know discussion is slowly dying down and people are becoming more and more inactive. First it was the new member policy and now this.Don't get me wrong though, I think this is a great change. Also, since when was "youtube" not blocked by the word filter? I am SO late.

My reaction to this is, doing what is helpful to increase discussion is good (within reason) regardless of what motive people might imagine to attribute to it. There's no shame in observing that discussion has gone down, that that's (arguably) bad, and that there are things we can do to possibly increase it a bit. ^_^

Hope this helps. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

So... I have a question about content appropriate for links.My Facebook isn't political. USUALLY. But occasionally I share a politics-related news story on there, or voice my opinion on a political issue. So is it okay for me to post a link to my Facebook page if I'm not linking directly to one of those posts? Is it okay to link to a particular post that doesn't bring up politics, if other posts of mine elsewhere on the site might do so? How many degrees of separation do there need to be between a page I link to and pages that might be inappropriate on BZPower?

Yes, you can link to your profile. Yes, you can link to non-political posts.

So... I have a question about content appropriate for links.My Facebook isn't political. USUALLY. But occasionally I share a politics-related news story on there, or voice my opinion on a political issue. So is it okay for me to post a link to my Facebook page if I'm not linking directly to one of those posts? Is it okay to link to a particular post that doesn't bring up politics, if other posts of mine elsewhere on the site might do so? How many degrees of separation do there need to be between a page I link to and pages that might be inappropriate on BZPower?

Yes, you can link to your profile. Yes, you can link to non-political posts.

I'm assuming that, in the same vein, I can link to my YouTube videos, provided I don't link to videos in which I curse? Even though people watching my videos will eventually stumble upon one where I slip up?

YOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBE!!!!!I've been wanting SO bad to do that ever since my first encounter with this rule. No joke, it's been torture. Thank you so much. :a: :k: :i:

Edited by Hahli Husky
Whoa thar boi let's not stretch the screen okiee - HH

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

I'm assuming that, in the same vein, I can link to my YouTube videos, provided I don't link to videos in which I curse? Even though people watching my videos will eventually stumble upon one where I slip up?

Part of the logic of the popup is that once off of BZPower, the member is free to browse and clink on links at his or her own risk. The staff no longer has jurisdiction. The direct links posted here on the site are the only ones that we can moderate, not the secondary, tertiary, etc. links.

I can finally say Youtube instead of feeling like I'm cursing whenever I want to reference that site. Now if only the site would stop auto-correcting mod when I am talking about video game alterations.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Is anyone else finding the 'Proceed' button on the pop-up to be unclickable?

What browser are you using?

I'm having no issues with it so far (Firefox).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

What browser are you using? I'm having no issues with it so far (Firefox).
It works on Chrome fine, but doesn't work on mobile. :shrugs:
I'm using an iPad, and it's working fine. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs::a::k::i: Edited by Toa Aki

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

I'm using an iPad, and it's working fine. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs: :a: :k: :i:

Are you using the mobile version or the full version of the site?

It doesn't work in Chrome when you middle-click the link, but it does work when you left-click.

In IE and Firefox middle-clicking opens both the popup and the link itself in a new tab. Clicking "Proceed" opens the link again in a third tab.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

Yeah, the mobile version on my iPhone doesn't work when clicking links (opens a new window that's just blank--the popup doesn't come up at all for me), but everything works fine on my laptop.

Anyway, I think this was an awesome treat for the anniversary--thanks for doing it. ^^

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I can finally say Youtube instead of feeling like I'm cursing whenever I want to reference that site. Now if only the site would stop auto-correcting moderator when I am talking about video game alterations.

Since we can now mention other forums, then Please do not bypass the filter. -B6 shouldn't censor out. EDIT: Dangit, they censor it to "moderator" again. Edited by Black Six

Windows Internet Explorer.

In IE and Firefox middle-clicking opens both the popup and the link itself in a new tab. Clicking "Proceed" opens the link again in a third tab.

For me, middle-clicking and left-clicking both lead to the same pop-up.

Edited by Sir Kohran

I just tested it on IE and it works fine for me. When I hover over the button (on Chrome or IE), the cursor is the "I" (as if you're hovering over text), and not the finger "clicking" one, but it still works if I click on it.

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I'm using an iPad, and it's working fine. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs: :a: :k: :i:
Full.:a::k::i: Edited by Toa Aki

Full. :a: :k: :i:

Well, yeah. It always works on the full version of the site, even if you're using an iDevice.

I just tested it on IE and it works fine for me. When I hover over the button (on Chrome or IE), the cursor is the "I" (as if you're hovering over text), and not the finger "clicking" one, but it still works if I click on it.

I did this; same result.

Yes, I did, but I've only experienced/tried clicking a link in blogs. Not sure if the problem exists elsewhere.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Lol facebooktwitteryoutuberedditdeviantarttumblrbiomediaprojectmaskofdestinyaccelepediabimmerforums190revgtplanetls1techsupraforums and MYSPACE

The rule against spam is still in place though. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.