• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Advertising Policy Revised

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ghabulous Ghoti

Ghabulous Ghoti
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 769 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 01:46 PM

YOUTUBE.

Ah! It feels like I'm cursing for the first time!

GhotiH.png

Add me on Steam: Ghabulous Ghoti ------------------------------- Add me on Nintendo Network/Playstation Network: GhotiH ------------------------------- Add me on 3DS: 1461-6196-0520

Just be sure to tell me that you've added me!

Competitive Smash Bros. player! Message me to discuss strategies or mess around without strategy online!

Yes, you can still play Brawl online!

#42 Offline -Whiplash-

-Whiplash-
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 02:15 PM

it's about time, I can finally link to forum and youtube now.

Good job.

Edited by -Whiplash-, Jul 26 2013 - 02:15 PM.

dlyh2od.jpg

#43 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,794 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 02:18 PM

Please note: Most of what I'm about to say is NOT "the official answer" per se, just advice. :)

I hate to be all negative again, but the "now leaving BZP" thing is quite annoying. I understand why we need it there, of course... but is there some way to, perhaps, disable that warning in our profile settings?

My guess is we'll get used to it. Just one more click, and it's common on other sites already. Keep in mind too that it's not adding a step but removing steps that previously had to be done (subtly implying the direction of a google search or whatever and hoping people would figure it out mainly, without actually mentioning a disallowed site at all), and/or making something possible that just wasn't.

That's probably obvious but yeah.

So... I have a question about content appropriate for links.My Facebook isn't political. USUALLY. But occasionally I share a politics-related news story on there, or voice my opinion on a political issue.

So is it okay for me to post a link to my Facebook page if I'm not linking directly to one of those posts? Is it okay to link to a particular post that doesn't bring up politics, if other posts of mine elsewhere on the site might do so? How many degrees of separation do there need to be between a page I link to and pages that might be inappropriate on BZPower?The way I see it, my Facebook is fairly non-offensive, and I try to maintain the same level of decorum on there as I would on any other site (including BZPower). The religion/politics restriction on BZP exists so that flame wars don't start, and whenever I approach a political or otherwise controversial subject on Facebook I try to do so with a level head and with empathy for those who feel differently.

But I grew up immersed in a media landscape, including politics, religion, and all that jazz. I'm an avid follower of the news, and when I find a story I like, or that interests me, I like to share it along with my thoughts about the content and style of said story. If one of my friends posts about a subject I have a different opinion on, I like to engage them in debate so that I can better understand their position, as well as share my reasoning for my own. And I'm certainly not prepared to change my posting habits on Facebook just so I can link there from BZP.So, where do we draw the line? Has my discussion of subjects we would not be allowed to broach on BZP voided my opportunity to share my social media profiles with people here?

Personally, if you have to ask in any instance, then if I were you I'd err on the side of caution and not do it.

Also, keep in mind it can be risky to release personal info like real name and the sorts of other info often revealed on FB publicly. FB is best used with a privacy option so only people you trust can see it, or with extreme caution as to what goes on there. Most people use neither and that opens them up to a lot of trouble.

So, even without getting into your specific question (which I'm not 100% sure of the correct answer myself), I would think twice before doing that, just on that basis alone. If you can just quote the content here, that's still an option as we used to do (especially if it's your own content); just because technically you CAN link there doesn't mean you HAVE to do so in order to put the content here (where applicable).

All that said, I THINK the right answer is that as long as the content you're directly linking to follows BZP rules it's fine (see previous answers by other staff).

I know that for deviantart for example that will be the rule. There's some great art I know of that I still can't link to the pages with comments because the artist accompanied the art with inappropriate comments, for example. But linking to the art directly should be fine as it has been for a while, and linking to a separate page that's entirely appropriate on the same site should be fine. Pretty sure the same principle applies to Facebook.

As I understand it. :)

If you want a definite answer, though, ignore me. :P

Lmao, BZP is desperate because they know discussion is slowly dying down and people are becoming more and more inactive. First it was the new member policy and now this.Don't get me wrong though, I think this is a great change. Also, since when was "youtube" not blocked by the word filter? I am SO late.

My reaction to this is, doing what is helpful to increase discussion is good (within reason) regardless of what motive people might imagine to attribute to it. There's no shame in observing that discussion has gone down, that that's (arguably) bad, and that there are things we can do to possibly increase it a bit. ^_^

Hope this helps. :)

#44 Offline Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,078 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 02:29 PM

So... I have a question about content appropriate for links.My Facebook isn't political. USUALLY. But occasionally I share a politics-related news story on there, or voice my opinion on a political issue. So is it okay for me to post a link to my Facebook page if I'm not linking directly to one of those posts? Is it okay to link to a particular post that doesn't bring up politics, if other posts of mine elsewhere on the site might do so? How many degrees of separation do there need to be between a page I link to and pages that might be inappropriate on BZPower?

Yes, you can link to your profile. Yes, you can link to non-political posts.

#45 Offline Ghabulous Ghoti

Ghabulous Ghoti
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 769 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 02:31 PM

So... I have a question about content appropriate for links.My Facebook isn't political. USUALLY. But occasionally I share a politics-related news story on there, or voice my opinion on a political issue. So is it okay for me to post a link to my Facebook page if I'm not linking directly to one of those posts? Is it okay to link to a particular post that doesn't bring up politics, if other posts of mine elsewhere on the site might do so? How many degrees of separation do there need to be between a page I link to and pages that might be inappropriate on BZPower?

Yes, you can link to your profile. Yes, you can link to non-political posts.

I'm assuming that, in the same vein, I can link to my YouTube videos, provided I don't link to videos in which I curse? Even though people watching my videos will eventually stumble upon one where I slip up?

GhotiH.png

Add me on Steam: Ghabulous Ghoti ------------------------------- Add me on Nintendo Network/Playstation Network: GhotiH ------------------------------- Add me on 3DS: 1461-6196-0520

Competitive Smash Bros. player! Message me to discuss strategies or mess around without strategy online!

#46 Offline The Nold

The Nold
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 02:49 PM

YOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBEYOUTUBE!!!!!I've been wanting SO bad to do that ever since my first encounter with this rule. No joke, it's been torture. Thank you so much. :a: :k: :i:

Edited by Hahli Husky, Jul 26 2013 - 04:20 PM.
Whoa thar boi let's not stretch the screen okiee - HH

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77
BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=547516
~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Radriar~

#47 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Literally Kagome

• 5,344 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm assuming that, in the same vein, I can link to my YouTube videos, provided I don't link to videos in which I curse? Even though people watching my videos will eventually stumble upon one where I slip up?

Part of the logic of the popup is that once off of BZPower, the member is free to browse and clink on links at his or her own risk. The staff no longer has jurisdiction. The direct links posted here on the site are the only ones that we can moderate, not the secondary, tertiary, etc. links.

#48 Offline Princess Grr

Princess Grr
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Riot Grrrl

• 8,921 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 04:01 PM

Ooh Ooh! Do the word filter next!

Basically, everything bad will be filtered to "an cool dude".

thank <3

DON'T SUPPORT PEOPLE WHO HURT OTHERS
FIGHT CORRUPT AUTHORITY

#49 Online The Phantom Terror

The Phantom Terror
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,198 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 04:14 PM

YES! I CAN OPENLY ASK MEMBERS IF THEY'RE ON *checks to see if anyone's watching* FACEBOOK!!!

14612551615_f885b55eb5_o.jpg

|+| Flickr |+| MOCpages |+| Facebook |+| YouTube |+|

|+| Rock Raiders United |+| SOLISMagna |+| Tumblr |+| TTV |+|

#50 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,192 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 04:18 PM

YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBE​YOUTUBEvideo unrelated

It still feels like I'm swearing... But seriously, yes. It's been way too long. Of course, outside of this topic, not many people will actually feel the need to link to youtube.

Edited by Dralcax, Jul 26 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Shiverburn_Galaxy_Figures_Close-Up.PNG

#51 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,965 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 05:31 PM

Is anyone else finding the 'Proceed' button on the pop-up to be unclickable?

#52 Online J46 Nui

J46 Nui
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 725 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 05:44 PM

I can finally say Youtube instead of feeling like I'm cursing whenever I want to reference that site. Now if only the site would stop auto-correcting mod when I am talking about video game alterations.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

#53 Offline bonesiii

bonesiii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Perpetual Master of Reference

• 18,794 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:13 PM

What browser are you using?

I'm having no issues with it so far (Firefox).

#54 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,931 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:16 PM

It works on Chrome fine, but doesn't work on mobile. :shrugs:

14126183966_9690cb0da3_z.jpg

#55 Offline The Nold

The Nold
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:27 PM

What browser are you using? I'm having no issues with it so far (Firefox).
I'm using an iPad, and it's working fine. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs::a::k::i:

Edited by Toa Aki, Jul 26 2013 - 06:27 PM.

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Radriar~

#56 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,931 posts

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm using an iPad, and it's working fine. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs: :a: :k: :i:

Are you using the mobile version or the full version of the site?

#57 Offline Baltarc

Baltarc
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • FFM OTC Winner

• 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:41 PM

It doesn't work in Chrome when you middle-click the link, but it does work when you left-click.

In IE and Firefox middle-clicking opens both the popup and the link itself in a new tab. Clicking "Proceed" opens the link again in a third tab.

Edited by Baltarc, Jul 26 2013 - 06:42 PM.

quetzalbanner01.jpg

#58 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:57 PM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Yeah, the mobile version on my iPhone doesn't work when clicking links (opens a new window that's just blank--the popup doesn't come up at all for me), but everything works fine on my laptop. [/color][/font]

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]Anyway, I think this was an awesome treat for the anniversary--thanks for doing it. ^^[/color][/font]

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

#59 Offline Ghabulous Ghoti

Ghabulous Ghoti
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 769 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 06:59 PM

I can finally say Youtube instead of feeling like I'm cursing whenever I want to reference that site. Now if only the site would stop auto-correcting moderator when I am talking about video game alterations.

Since we can now mention other forums, then Please do not bypass the filter. -B6 shouldn't censor out. EDIT: Dangit, they censor it to "moderator" again.

Edited by Black Six, Jul 26 2013 - 08:26 PM.

GhotiH.png

#60 Offline Sir Kohran

Sir Kohran
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,965 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 07:06 PM

Windows Internet Explorer.

In IE and Firefox middle-clicking opens both the popup and the link itself in a new tab. Clicking "Proceed" opens the link again in a third tab.

For me, middle-clicking and left-clicking both lead to the same pop-up.

Edited by Sir Kohran, Jul 26 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#61 Offline Velox

Velox
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Bibliophilic Littérateur & Senior Staff

• 11,831 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 07:10 PM

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]I just tested it on IE and it works fine for me. When I hover over the button (on Chrome or IE), the cursor is the "I" (as if you're hovering over text), and not the finger "clicking" one, but it still works if I click on it. [/color][/font]

Edited by Velox, Jul 26 2013 - 07:10 PM.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

#62 Offline Ghabulous Ghoti

Ghabulous Ghoti
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 769 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 07:10 PM

Windows Internet Explorer.

Well, there is your problem. You're using Internet Explorer :P

GhotiH.png

#63 Offline Takhamavahu

Takhamavahu
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,130 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 07:19 PM

This is excellent news and long overdure.

The warning pop-up is perfectly reasonable.

#64 Offline The Nold

The Nold
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm using an iPad, and it's working fine. :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs: :a: :k: :i:
Full.:a::k::i:

Edited by Toa Aki, Jul 26 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#65 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Bohrok-Kal Vanquished

• 4,931 posts

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 07:52 PM

Full. :a: :k: :i:

Well, yeah. It always works on the full version of the site, even if you're using an iDevice. 

[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"][color=#000080;]I just tested it on IE and it works fine for me. When I hover over the button (on Chrome or IE), the cursor is the "I" (as if you're hovering over text), and not the finger "clicking" one, but it still works if I click on it. [/color][/font]

I did this; same result. 

#66 Offline Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,078 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you are having issues, please open a Tracker ticket. That will allow us to more closely keep an eye on things and troubleshoot them.

#67 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,040 posts

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yes, I did, but I've only experienced/tried clicking a link in blogs. Not sure if the problem exists elsewhere.

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#68 Offline XONAR

XONAR
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 853 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 26 2013 - 10:16 PM

Lol facebooktwitteryoutuberedditdeviantarttumblrbiomediaprojectmaskofdestinyaccelepediabimmerforums190revgtplanetls1techsupraforums and MYSPACE

-XONARsig.png

mnolg_dvd_bzp_banner_2.jpg

Feel free to add this banner to your sig!

#69 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,040 posts

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 12:10 AM

Lol facebooktwitteryoutuberedditdeviantarttumblrbiomediaprojectmaskofdestinyaccelepediabimmerforums190revgtplanetls1techsupraforums and MYSPACE

The rule against spam is still in place though. ;)

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#70 Offline XONAR

XONAR
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 853 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 12:29 AM

The rule against spam is still in place though. ;)

True.

Sorry. :lol:

-XONARsig.png

mnolg_dvd_bzp_banner_2.jpg

Feel free to add this banner to your sig!

#71 Offline Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Into Karda Nui

• 18,112 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 03:43 AM

I'm perfectly fine with the fact that we have a pop-up for this ... but ... does it really have to lean a bit to the centre-left? It feels so ... untidy.

gallery_107889_133_3220.jpg

#72 Offline The True Zedd of BZPower

The True Zedd of BZPower
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Gahlok-Kal Crushed

• 4,697 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 08:33 AM

I return to BZP for a nostalgia blast and see this.You havve no idea how happy this makes me. Itt's a change BZP had to maake for three years now.

#73 Offline Damaracx Caratas Xarian

Damaracx Caratas Xarian
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,013 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 01:37 PM

I can finally say Youtube instead of feeling like I'm cursing whenever I want to reference that site.

[color=#ff0000;]WHAT THE YOUTUBE![/color]

[color=#a9a9a9;]GO TO YOUTUBE YOU YOUTUBE!   :P[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]This is too much fun....[/color]

#74 Offline Than the Moa

Than the Moa
  • Global Moderators
  • Senior Q&A Guru

• 9,057 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 09:59 PM

This is a test, ignore it and it will go away shortly.

www.weather.com

Yo.

#75 Offline Rarity

Rarity
  • Banned Members
  • Language of the Past

• 8,133 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 27 2013 - 10:45 PM

Best thing BZP staff has ever done.

4chan!

#76 Offline Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Into Karda Nui

• 18,112 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 28 2013 - 12:29 AM

Best thing BZP staff has ever done.  4chan!

No. No no no no NO. We are not having anything to do with that.

Edited by Content with Life, Jul 28 2013 - 12:30 AM.

gallery_107889_133_3220.jpg

#77 Offline Sycron

Sycron
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 55 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 28 2013 - 06:40 AM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(169,169,169);]Karz yeah! Youtube! I can say the word![/color][/font]

Sycron's Comics - SycronZone - Sorans Comic Compilation - The White Gryffon

Go to the Minecraft Server DNAcraft! IP:109.95.210.95:25865

My rank is Tohunga, so I'm probably going to get sued by the Maori. :lol-sign:

#78 Offline Kopaka25

Kopaka25
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 61 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 28 2013 - 08:43 AM

YouTube! *covers mouth* A great new addition to the site.

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all."
- Tahu 

#79 Offline Black Six

Black Six
  • BioniLUG Member
  • BZPower Administrators
  • Lego Ambassador

• 12,078 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Jul 28 2013 - 08:49 AM

Best thing BZP staff has ever done.  4chan!

That would not be a site that is okay to link to.

#80 Offline Phantomesque

Phantomesque
  • Members
  • Conqueror of the Swarm!

• 700 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 28 2013 - 02:54 PM

A sign the staff are trying to make a BZPower comeback.

Ah, Tumblr and Youtube.

Best thing BZP staff has ever done.

4chan!

No.

phantom_sig.png

Your life is complete once you've met me once.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users