Editorial: Why You Should Attend a LEGO Convention

th_CF_Editorial_Kopaka_7_31.JPGBrickFair VA 2013 is a few days away, and if you live within a 3 hour drive of any LEGO convention I would argue you should make the trip to visit or attend said nearby convention. Why? Because attending such an event is one of the most fun things you will do with your year! You'll make new friends, get to truly geek out, and grab some exclusive LEGO gear not found in stores. Still need a little convincing on why a day-trip or full-weekend vacation is worth your time? Read on.View the full article

Yeah...I understand why you are posting this topic, but many people including me who'd love to go to BrickFair live abroad and it would be much more complicated (not to mention expensive) to go there. Though we definitely plan to go to BrickFair sometime, it's not going to happen this year. :(-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Yeah, I read this as "Why I'm having lots of fun this weekend and you aren't!" :P

Though seriously, there are so many Lego conventions popping up all over the place, it's kind of inspiring because it gives other fans a chance to go to one that's more local than BrickFair or BrickWorld. They might not all be as big, and they certainly won't have as many BZPers as BrickFair, but they're still fun. (Canada has at least one going, I know a few Lego convention-like events have occured in Australia, and I'm sure there are a few over in Europe.)

Anyway, nice article, Ben. Although you should've cropped that last mosaic picture; the guy's pose on the far left looks really stuuuuuuuuuupid. B-)

:music:

Edited by xccj

This was an interesting read. I wish I could go to a convention, and Brickfair is a reasonable distance away, but I'm not sure how to explain this to my parents, etc. or provide a good enough reason for them driving several hours to get there. Maybe when I'm older.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

A good read, for sure. Even though I'm closer to BF than some other members here, California isn't exactly close and it will be a few years before I'm able to make my way over there. That being said, I could have gone this year, but I didn't realize that until literally yesterday.

As far as my location is concerned, the only convention in my neck of the woods is Bricks by the Bay, but it's always at a time too inconvenient to go.

But yeah, conventions do seem like a really fun time and I look forward to the day when I can attend one.

BZPRPG

Will I be seeing you there Sumiki?

But of course. I'll likely be off somewhere dreaming of farm animals hats or something (i.e. at the BIONICLE table). I could even show you around a bit if you wanted me to - everyone's first convention is somewhat disorienting. Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

What if you live in Australia and there are no Lego conventions at all in your area?

There's Brickvention in Melbourne, Canberra Brick Expo in Canberra, Sydney Brick Show in Sydney, and WA Brick Society Show in Perth. Granted, some of these are less convention-y and more display-y than BrickFair, and they are focused in the major cities, but its something to look into. :)

I know of none in my area, and honestly, I don't like events that much anyway. I suppose I could consider it someday, though. The main obstacle is lack of transportation, as I certainly wouldn't be making a "3 hour drive" away. Most of the BZP members I might like to meet wouldn't be the sort to attend a LEGO convention either, I think, even if all of them could.

I would be interested in the vendors, but we'd have to see about the rest of it anyway.

:P

I respect this article, but I'm hardly about to respond differently to BZP's newfound convention-calling-forth than I have been to any mentions of conventions past. I've considered going, if not seriously, and will no doubt end up doing whatever I was going to end up doing in the first place.

:shrugs:

~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

What if you live in Australia and there are no Lego conventions at all in your area?

There's Brickvention in Melbourne, Canberra Brick Expo in Canberra, Sydney Brick Show in Sydney, and WA Brick Society Show in Perth. Granted, some of these are less convention-y and more display-y than BrickFair, and they are focused in the major cities, but its something to look into. :)

To Brickvention! Because I can't be bothered leaving the confines of Melbourne.