FTL Reaches 10,000 on CUUSOO

Finally! I am relieved and delighted to announce that the <a href='http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/35223' target='offsite'>FTL: Faster Than Light</a> CUUSOO project has reached 10,000 supporters at last. This qualifies the project for the review period beginning in September, but after that it might be a while until production. We can only hope our patience will be rewarded with some great little spaceship sets.View the full article

It looks like a nice micro-space ship, but it isn't the best micro-space ship out there. I bet even LEGO's designers could do better, and any number of people on flickr. I just don't see this being a practical set considering all the alternatives (and size). -CF

Well, the build isn't necessarily going to stay the same. It has to be redesigned, like any sketch or concept model. With LEGO Cuusoo you're primarily voting on a concept — the point of the illustrations is to give examples of how that concept might be expressed as a set.So yeah, LEGO's designers could do better. And if this actually passes the review, then they'll probably do just that, because that's their job. I think more than build, the obstacles this will face will be more like the obstacles the EVE Online project faced: is this a good business case? FTL was a very well-received game but it's hardly a household name like Back to the Future or Minecraft.