Gravity Rarity

I was looking through BS01 the other day today and I noticed that they claimed that gravity is a rarer element in the Matoran Universe than the other elements.

Why is that? Gravity is an essential part of our world and especially the Matoran Universe as it has to constantly be maintained by Mata Nui, so why would it be so uncommon?

If you have any clarification or theories of your own, please feel free to post.

Thanks. :)

Seems legit.

comet.jpg

Who wants to play Kolhii?

Well, most of the secondary elements are rarer than the "main six", if not all, and some secondaries would be rarer than others. There doesn't actually need to be a reason per se.

But it probably has something to do with keeping the Gravity element from being overpowered, as it's so basic and pervasive that that may actually open up to risk. If (from the GBs' POV) there were a large number of Ba-Toa (due to a large number of Ba-Matoran), then it would be more likely one might "glitch" (later seen as going rogue or turning evil) and cause major problems.

Just a guess though.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, most of the secondary elements are rarer than the "main six", if not all, and some secondaries would be rarer than others. There doesn't actually need to be a reason per se.

Could the reasoning for that have something to do with the fact that the "main six" elements were based on the elements of the Element Lords on Spherus Magna? The GBs would have probably been most knowledgeable about those six elements, and perhaps as a result most comfortable with and capable of replicating them in Toa/Matoran. Basically, there's more to go wrong when trying to create a power (e.g., Gravity) that one has never observed at all, compared to trying to create a power that is relatively well-documented.

(Of course, Jungle/the Green is the exception to the rule, but the Green was rare in the MU because plant life was rarer there in general.)

~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Sand was an exception too.

The basic idea, and that there were six main ones, yes, possibly. Although that was in turn because there were six main Glatorian elements (the ELs are Glatorian that the GBs transformed), after Iron became rare due to the dream disease.

Of course, the real-world reason was the six original Toa.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Wasn't Gravity also one of the elements targeted by the Makuta when they took power? That would be my guess.

Pretty sure that was Iron and Magnetism.

Another thing worth considering is that since normally-functioning gravity is such an important and basic part of day-to-day life, having a bunch of people who can mess with it (even if they didn't go rogue, as bonesiii suggested) could be problematic.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

Sand was an exception too.

Yeah, I didn't mention Sand because Spherus Magna had Sand and Rock rather than Earth and Stone, but all four of those elements are pretty closely linked, so it's a bit difficult to tell exactly from where the GBs took their information in developing those elements.

~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Just to check, I went to BS01 gravity page and I didn't find anything claiming that gravity one of the rarer elements.

However upon checking the powers that gravity Toa have, I could well understand the GB going easy on the Gravity Element.

For example Hewkii, just with the mask of gravity, lifted the Coliseum off the ground long enough for the Hagah to get under it. Even

though the Hewkii passed out, the Coliseum is still a massive building. I can see why the GB would be careful making to many of

beings with such power.

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

It's the Ba-Matoran page (trivia section):

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Ba-Matoran

(I had checked too earlier. :P)

Okay, well in that case, I still do have a question, how could Hewkii lift the Coliseum off the ground at all? I mean, how could somebody have that much power with just the mask of that element?

Hewkii didn't. He had help lifting.

It took hours of planning, more to convince the Turaga the Toa hadn’t all lost their minds, and another half a day on top of that to complete the work needed. When they were ready, Jaller, Norik, Pouks and Nuparu used their powers to crack the foundation and create a tunnel where none had been before. Outside, Hewkii’s gravity power, Kualus’ ice power, and Bomonga’s vast strength struggled to keep the building intact. Once the tunnel was in place, Hahli and Gaaki used their water power to cool down the walls. Iruini and Kongu watched over Zaktan, with Kongu more than ready to send the Piraka’s glass case hurtling into the air at the first wrong word.The hardest part came last. Bomonga and Kualus had to let go of the Coliseum to join the others as they prepared to venture into the unknown. That left Hewkii supporting the vast structure alone.

He didn't lift, but he had to hold it up, and that effort knocked him out.