Platinum Avohkii For Sale Again

Good to see it again. One of only two masks that I don't own. BTW, anyone know the $ value of 3oz of platinum?

The average price for 1 oz. of platinum is a mere $1428.95. The mask itself is apparently worth $8,320.26 in 2003 dollars, or about $10,558.77 by today's standards. Pocket change, right? :P Back on topic here....Oh how I wish I had that sort of money. Like others have said, the mask would definitely be worth the money.

So, you could forge it for much cheaper? I'mma gonna do that once I find about $10,000.

Well you'll also have to buy Lego's injection mold, which according to Aanchir costs Lego "between $15,000 and $250,000". Since a mold for an Avohkii would only need two halves, (no holes going in other directions) I'm guessing the mold wouldn't be as much as $250,000. But since Lego doesn't part with their molds either, you need to commission one, and I doubt you'll get as good a deal as Lego does.

Well, that depends. The cost of TLG's molds is partly due to the stringent standards they have for precision. If you want to create a single platinum Avohkii for personal use, it's possible that you could tolerate more imperfections than TLG would allow with their own plastic molds.With that said, it's still going to be a really great cost — the mold and materials together could end up being around $20,000.And you're right when you say "LEGO doesn't part with their molds". Letting their molds get out onto the open market creates the risk that they might end up in the hands of competitors. I'm not sure how long it typically is before TLG disposes of a mold they're no longer using (or for that matter, if they even do dispose of molds that haven't been worn out from routine production), but their means of disposal is nothing if not efficient: they embed retired molds in the concrete foundations of their new buildings.Regardless, it doesn't really make a difference that you can forge one of these for much cheaper than its current asking price. The value of the mask isn't in the material of the thing alone, but rather in its significance. This platinum mask was a one-of-a-kind sweepstakes prize distributed ten years ago. Anything else, even if it's identical down to the tiniest detail, is just a facsimile.