More than one way to break a fall

In the 2001 comic Triumph Of The Toa, Tahu was attacked by a pair of Nui-Rama, who picked him up, flew him high and dropped him. Without the Mask of Levitation, Tahu had to resort to heating the air below him to break his fall and allow Onua to catch him.

I was thinking, couldn't Tahu have possibly used his Hau to break his fall and save him from injury? If so, what may have happened?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Some interpretations of the Hau's sheild (namely MNOG) do show a gradual slowing rather than sudden impact -- if that is correct, then it might have helped (but he would have likely sped up to or nearly to terminal velocity first so it would still be worse IMO... of course, he could try both). However, MOL depicts it as a solid wall, and it's not clear which is right. If the latter, then DM is right that it should be just as deadly.

It's also possible it simply doesn't count as an attack. I mean you'd be defining an entire planet as the attack. :P He's the one moving, so... I dunno.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The force of the impact on the shield would have abruptly weakened the shield, and his mental concentration would have been severely disruted, or he would have to let his concentration go into overdrive to sustain it.

If he did not come off physically handicapped, then mentally. I think Tahu just wasn't well-versed enough to do it at that point in time. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

The force of the impact on the shield would have abruptly weakened the shield, and his mental concentration would have been severely disruted, or he would have to let his concentration go into overdrive to sustain it.

If he did not come off physically handicapped, then mentally. I think Tahu just wasn't well-versed enough to do it at that point in time. :shrugs:

I think that's the least of his worries. The issue isn't that he's hitting the ground, it's how abrupt the stop is.

• Upvote 1

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

And an abrupt stop means a huge decelaration, which his shield may or may not survive, and also the physcal jolt onhis body(assuming it works that way), hence the physically-handicapped part.

The shield is virtually irrelevant in this situation. It doesn't matter how the fall stops, just how abrupt it stops.

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

And an abrupt stop means a huge decelaration, which his shield may or may not survive, and also the physcal jolt onhis body(assuming it works that way), hence the physically-handicapped part.

The shield is virtually irrelevant in this situation. It doesn't matter how the fall stops, just how abrupt it stops.

Agreed. Tahus heating of the air didn't work instantly so he didn't break his back plus I bet it required alot less energy to use.

Funny how smart the Toa are, and I thought that great heros don't pay attention in class :P

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

Funny how smart the Toa are, and I thought that great heros don't pay attention in class :P

Heh, yeah, that's been a major theme of Bionicle. It's ironic since the setting was so primitive, yet the Toa were employing fairly advanced physics knowledge (although even a bonfire can illustrate this principle... I guess it really is about how much attention they gave). Of course, they also still retained much of their training. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Heh, yeah, that's been a major theme of Bionicle. It's ironic since the setting was so primitive, yet the Toa were employing fairly advanced physics knowledge (although even a bonfire can illustrate this principle... I guess it really is about how much attention they gave). Of course, they also still retained much of their training. :shrugs:

It may have been instinct... I'm guessing the way things happened that he probably didn't have much time to think.

Maybe his first reaction was to burn everything that is causing a problem. :shrugs:

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

The shield can't overcome the force of Gravity. Remember when Nuuvok-Kal attacked? Shield =/= elastic bouncy ball. :P

It may have been instinct... I'm guessing the way things happened that he probably didn't have much time to think.

Maybe his first reaction was to burn everything that is causing a problem. :shrugs:

BURN STUFF? :P

Burning everything that was causing a problem is inconsistent with the idea that he remembered his training, though. :shrugs:

The shield can't overcome the force of Gravity. Remember when Nuuvok-Kal attacked? Shield =/= elastic bouncy ball. :P

BURN STUFF? :P

Burning everything that was causing a problem is inconsistent with the idea that he remembered his training, though. :shrugs:

True, Probably not it.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

It seems to me that the shield would be able to "block" the ground, possibly with the effect of bouncing itself into the air and straining Tahu a bit... but on the other hand, are we sure that Tahu was thinking of the ground as an "attack?" The Hau seems to operate on its wearer's perception - if the wearer doesn't think of something as an attack, then the shield lets it through.Now, I think that the shield itself could potentially absorb the impact of a fall - it has been shown absorbing attacks without transferring their force to Tahu. This high up, though, it's more likely that Tahu would lose his focus, the shield would break, and he would still smash into the ground.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

it has been shown absorbing attacks without transferring their force to Tahu

This is a good point to bring up -- we don't know if there is any transference at all. It may simply be that it wasn't depicted. But if there isn't, then it would do nothing at all to slow Tahu's fall.