Mighty Morphin'

Eljay: Toa of Mangosteen

Alright, just in the nick of time I've finished my entry for the contest! I give you... Mighty Morphin'!

Part 1Part 2

Just barely got it done, I hope you all enjoy and can help me make it all the way!

sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

That's excellent. Simply excellent.Shame you ended it with a cliffhanger, but I thought it was well handled all things considered. I just really want to see the resolution to the fight. ._.Those sprites are ingenious and likely took a heck of a lot of work to create. The transformation scenes were well handled, the secondary antagonists were some very cool references (TumaFest ftw), and you handled photorealism very nicely.Excellent work, and best of luck in the contest.-Mesonak

• Upvote 1

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Why would Kopaka actually be wearing the pants though

I think you're displaying a fundamental lack of understanding of his character

ALSO I just realized the "pants" in question are basically just shorts. I have spent hours painstakingly drawing them for reference so that this kind of mistake would never be made. They have literally been on the front page of BZP at this point AND YET YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO SHOW THIS BLATANT DISREGARD OF KOPAKA CANON ON A PUBLIC FORUM. You should be ashamed of yourself for this heinous atrocity

Edited by Lime Paradox

RksnKgM.jpg

Why would Kopaka actually be wearing the pants though

I think you're displaying a fundamental lack of understanding of his character

I am, but that character existing is a fundamental lack of any understanding.

sig.png

• Upvote 1

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eljay

Eljay there are children on this forum

There are CHILDREN ON THIS FORUM and you are PERSONALLY FEEDING THEM BLATANT MISINFORMATION

They will probably spend their ENTIRE LIVES incorrectly believing that Kopaka has shorts, and actually wears them, even as adults

Someday some of them will probably even make IMPORTANT POLITICAL DECISIONS based on this incorrect belief

The fate of human civilization could depend upon the future leaders of the world having an clear, accurate understanding of the state of Kopaka's pants

Is this something you want on your conscience

DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS

Edited by Lime Paradox

RksnKgM.jpg

Eljay

Eljay there are children on this forum

There are CHILDREN ON THIS FORUM and you are PERSONALLY FEEDING THEM BLATANT MISINFORMATION

They will probably spend their ENTIRE LIVES incorrectly believing that Kopaka has shorts, and actually wears them, even as adults

Someday some of them will probably even make IMPORTANT POLITICAL DECISIONS based on this incorrect belief

The fate of human civilization could depend upon the future leaders of the world having an clear, accurate understanding of the state of Kopaka's pants

Is this something you want on your conscience

DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS

Oh, but you see here, YOU are the one with BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS! HERE is a clean representation of Kopaka with his alleged pants.

Now you should think of the children you criminal.

sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

AbareBlack, KibaRanger and Shurikenger that fight against Witch Bandora.

Well that's a very confused reference. Even Super Hero Taisen didn't have a crossover like this.

Also, the race joke in the second comic? Wasn't very classy.

And didn't get the joke about hats either.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin
  • Upvote 1

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

You would just have to understand and know Kahi to get it.

Anyways, great comic. Love how you integrated Power Rangers into it. <3 The graphics were nice and smooth for the most part, and those sprites must have taken a heck of a long time to make. Great job! Keep it up!

-Rez

AbareBlack, KibaRanger and Shurikenger that fight against Witch Bandora.

Well that's a very confused reference. Even Super Hero Taisen didn't have a crossover like this.

And didn't get the joke about hats either.

The hat thing is something you'd more than likely need to read some prior comics to get. It's just a weird thing about me getting a woman's hat as a gift from a friend... Which may or may not have actually happened. And I'm not gonna make any comment here regarding the race bit in the comic. Kahi is Asian, and says a lot worse than that. If anyone is offended by it, then they can talk to me cause that is far from the intention. Not to mention, but there have been far less classy things on this forum as of late.

You would just have to understand and know Kahi to get it.

Anyways, great comic. Love how you integrated Power Rangers into it. <3 The graphics were nice and smooth for the most part, and those sprites must have taken a heck of a long time to make. Great job! Keep it up!

-Rez

You got it as far as needing to know Kahi. =P And I am glad you liked the comic! I rushed to get it out today, and was worried I wouldn't make it. I had the Tuma sprite and the Ranger/Ritalena sprites made a while before, but I had to make the Venazord sprite today and it ate up a lot of time. Thanks again!

sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

Eljay should have been either green Mighty Morphin' or red Zeo,

'cause white MM & Black Dino Thunder were Tommy's, so were green MM & red Zeo

Other than that, it was great :D

Too many Tommy's! =P Honestly, I would have had I not been a huge fan of the Samurai Ranger from Ninja Storm. Always been my favorite, so I went for it. Thank you!

I have to say, Kopaka in pants is faaaaar more offensive than race jokes.I approve.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but the joke isn't even meant to offend anyone. Power Rangers has a long history of stuff like this, and that was more of a nod to that history. The other thing is, Kahi couldn't have been any other Ranger. Var was white, I was green, red was unfitting for him... But he has yellow eyes, so that coulda worked. But anyways, thank you for your approval! :P

sig.png

Edited by Eljay: Toa of Mangosteen

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

Wow, sprites look amazing. Although, it looks rather jumbled in the Venazord vs. Tuma+Alena+Kopaka panel. Oh, and "great" is misspelled as "grate" in the second panel of part 2. Otherwise, good job! This comic, I like it. Another! *smash*Edit: whoops, my intent was lost in my lack of proper wording. Fixed.

Edited by Cratak

fmstaticbanner1.jpg

The hat actually exists. I made it based off of the design of a crocheting book written by a woman, and also posed by a woman. It's why I chose the hat, as a prank for LJ to wear into public and become embarrassed as a pedestrian pointed out his cross-dressing ways.

Here's a photo of what the hat looks like:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/lewajohnson/Pics/img_3910.jpg

Btw, awesome comic! I hate how you always portray me as the villain for some reason though. )=

Edited by Alena Spirit of Hyperness
Ilovecats-02.gif

The hat actually exists. I made it based off of the design of a crocheting book written by a woman, and also posed by a woman. It's why I chose the hat, as a prank for LJ to wear into public and become embarrassed as a pedestrian pointed out his cross-dressing ways.

I can't even count the ways I feel personally offended by all this. It's 2013. Can we please move past the idea that cross-dressing is shameful and men wearing women's clothing is a "joke"?

I also find myself question the appeal of a supposedly stand-alone contest entry comic that we apparently needed to do prior reading and research for to understand the jokes, including personally knowing a person and his/her eccentricities. Doesn't seem like the best representation of the forum, or of humour in general.

The sprites are good though. Ray did a pretty good job making them, didn't he?

bring back "an cool dude"

I can't even count the ways I feel personally offended by all this. It's 2013. Can we please move past the idea that cross-dressing is shameful and men wearing women's clothing is a "joke"?

I also find myself question the appeal of a supposedly stand-alone contest entry comic that we apparently needed to do prior reading and research for to understand the jokes, including personally knowing a person and his/her eccentricities. Doesn't seem like the best representation of the forum, or of humour in general.

The sprites are good though. Ray did a pretty good job making them, didn't he?

It's 2013. Can we please acknowledge that not everyone thinks the same and some people may feel embarrassed by certain things that other people probably wouldn't?

Just because you don't think parading around in women's clothing ISN'T embarrassing doesn't mean others wouldn't. If it's designed for a female, then yes a male might find himself embarrassed to be wearing it, that doesn't mean EVERY male would, but seriously? Are we not allowed to feel slightly embarrassed about trivial things such as this? Just because I'm a little embarrassed for liking the transformers films despite it being a mediocre film series doesn't mean it's suddenly shameful for everyone else who likes it.

You'd think in 2013 we'd learn to be a bit more tolerant of peoples feelings, but nope. Tolerance only goes one way apparently. We must all conform to one belief and that is it. I can't help but feel a little annoyed that it's so easy to offend people now a days. It's just crazy that people can get personally offended at something that isn't directed at, nor involves, these people at all.

Please let's stop looking at things so black and white.

Also no where does it state that this comic is completely standalone, it is clearly based from Eljay's currently running comic series, so I don't know where you're pulling this "supposedly stand-alone" BS from. The comic appeals to those who read the series, it's not that hard to understand. Whether it's a good tactic for a contest is to be seen, but if you can't be bothered to read the comics and actually understand the characters then I wouldn't complain about their personal motives or feelings or the appeal of said comics.

Edited by Illustrious Var
untitled-4.png

What? How does anything you've said here even begin to make sense? "Tolerance only goes one way?" What does that even mean?

If you or anyone wishes to be embarrassed by a knit hat, that's your prerogative, but you have to be aware of the cultural context of making light of such a thing. People are systematically ostracized or even dehumanized for cross-dressing or for being transgender or for being "deviant" in any way. Making jokes about these things feeds that culture, whether they were intended maliciously or not. I'm not saying this comic is borne from the bowels of itself and will cause all cross-dressers to be rounded up into death camps, but criminy, it's still got some uncomfortable content that's not very socially sensitive and given that I have to deal with this every day and am pointedly aware of the hurt that insensitivity can cause, it's pretty ridiculous that you're railing at me for voicing that discomfort, I'm a pre-op trangender woman and I have to worry about being harassed, assaulted, or possibly murdered due to the way I prefer to dress. But yeah, how dare I voice my offense at crossdressing being shown as shameful. Your annoyance at my offense is clearly more dire - you being annoyed by offending people is definitely a bigger issue than people being hurt and offended in the first place. It's "crazy" that I'm bothered by this. Yeah totally. Come on, dude. Instead of whining about people being discomforted or offended maybe you should take some time to understand why they are, and accept that maybe the things you like aren't flawless.

bring back "an cool dude"

It's "crazy" that I'm bothered by this. Yeah totally. Come on, dude. Instead of whining about people being discomforted or offended maybe you should take some time to understand why they are, and accept that maybe the things you like aren't flawless.

I don't think he ever claimed that what he liked was flawless. He just simply said that he feels like people are being far too easily offended, which to be honest I agree with in this case. There's nothing in Alena's post that remotely suggests that she's biased in any way against cross dressing or Asians. Going back to the point Var made about Transformers, if someone makes a joke about the Transformers' movies being bad, that doesn't mean they hate every person who likes Transformers' movies.

The comic's meant in good fun, why can't we just let it remain at that? I'm sincerely sorry if it offends you somehow, but life has a way of offending people lots of times.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

What? How does anything you've said here even begin to make sense? "Tolerance only goes one way?" What does that even mean?

If you or anyone wishes to be embarrassed by a knit hat, that's your prerogative, but you have to be aware of the cultural context of making light of such a thing. People are systematically ostracized or even dehumanized for cross-dressing or for being transgender or for being "deviant" in any way. Making jokes about these things feeds that culture, whether they were intended maliciously or not. I'm not saying this comic is borne from the bowels of ###### itself and will cause all cross-dressers to be rounded up into death camps, but criminy, it's still got some uncomfortable content that's not very socially sensitive and given that I have to deal with this every day and am pointedly aware of the hurt that insensitivity can cause, it's pretty ridiculous that you're railing at me for voicing that discomfort, I'm a pre-op trangender woman and I have to worry about being harassed, assaulted, or possibly murdered due to the way I prefer to dress. But yeah, how dare I voice my offense at crossdressing being shown as shameful. Your annoyance at my offense is clearly more dire - you being annoyed by offending people is definitely a bigger issue than people being hurt and offended in the first place. It's "crazy" that I'm bothered by this. Yeah totally. Come on, dude. Instead of whining about people being discomforted or offended maybe you should take some time to understand why they are, and accept that maybe the things you like aren't flawless.

Woah wall of text : O

Tolerance only goes one way: Meaning you are only tolerant of what you wish to be tolerant of. Anything else can go screw itself apparently, you're way or the high way. That more clear? Or should I explain further?

I think it's fair to make light of anything I feel like making light of so long as I'm making light of it in a non aggressive way.

Does it effect you? Does it matter to you? Is it even aimed at you?

Who cares if Eljay's embarrassed to wear feminine hat. What does that have to do with you at all? Why is it you are making this about yourself all of a sudden. I don't think you seem to realize that people joke about all kinds of things, what people find funny is dependent upon the individual. This isn't even a joke against cross dressing it's a joke about Eljay being embarrassed to wear a hat that wasn't specifically designed for his gender. He is not a cross dresser and he does not identify as a female, so yes it embarrasses him.

I mean, I don't even understand how this is socially insensitive in the slightest, the line in the comic is literally "How strange of you" in response to the hat."How strange of you"

"How strange of YOU"

"YOU"YOU in this instance, referring to Eljay, and Eljay alone. No where is it implied in this comic that cross dressing is strange or wrong, it is implied that it is strange for Eljay, who is not a cross dresser, to be wearing a female hat.

You think its ridiculous for me to be railing you? I think it'd ridiculous for you to even be making this an issue when it's not at all, you have literally pulled this problem out of nowhere because you only care about how you feel and no one else. You've made this simple little joke about you.

I understand just fine why people can be offended or uncomfortable. I've had gay friends, I've known cross dressers. But guess what? Who cares.It does not matter at all because this comic has nothing to do with it. You've taken everything out of context and overblown the issue, so yes, I do find it annoying that you feel the need to shoehorn in your silly little rant somewhere where it doesn't belong. There's other places for it.

untitled-4.png

There's also, you know, the simple but pretty important fact that this so-called "sexist" joke at the beginning of the comic was not intended to be funny/make you laugh. It was a plot device, realistically true to the character of Alena, to make her mad at Eljay for disliking her gift. It's motivation for her actions in the rest of the comic. :P

-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

There's also, you know, the simple but pretty important fact that this so-called "sexist" joke at the beginning of the comic was not intended to be funny/make you laugh. It was a plot device, realistically true to the character of Alena, to make her mad at Eljay for disliking her gift. It's motivation for her actions in the rest of the comic. :P

-Mesonak

yes, how silly. the joke was haha women so emotional and overreactive. haha look at this unreasonable women. how silly of me to think there was anything sexist in this comic.

-Mesonak

yes, how silly. the joke was haha women so emotional and overreactive. haha look at this unreasonable women. how silly of me to think there was anything sexist in this comic.

Nowhere did it say ALL women were overemotional. You made that assumption. You're the sexist one.

-Mesonak

Nowhere did it say ALL women were overemotional. You made that assumption. You're the sexist one.

....what? that's the biggest logical leap ive ever heard. I'm saying he's falling back on sexist archetypes. He doesn't need to say all women arel ike that to enforce a societal depiction of them.

-Mesonak

....what? that's the biggest logical leap ive ever heard. I'm saying he's falling back on sexist archetypes. He doesn't need to say all women arel ike that to enforce a societal depiction of them.

It's not a sexist archtype, that's how Alena actually acts. This isn't a made up character, it's a real member of BZPower.

You're the one who brought sexism in to this, and you're the one saying that Alena is a sexist archtype, therefore you are the sexist one.

untitled-4.png

Princess Grr, this is not the place for a social or political debate, and BZPower has rules against it. The comic wasn't meant to offend women, men who wear women's clothing, or to spark a debate. It wasn't even meant to be a joke at all, simply a plot device for the comic's storyline.

Anyway, I really liked the comic!

Edited by ToaN

The BZPower Chat is alive!

Join at: http://xat.com/thebzpc

I am ToaN, from the N continuum...

Princess Grr, this is not the place for a social or political debate, and BZPower has rules against it.

BZPower does have rules against political discussion, but nothing political has been brought up. There are no rules banning social debate, provided that it be separated from politics.

So I'm actually pretty angry and disappointed because of what has been going on in this topic. Be warned that I am quite prepared to punish people if things continue as they have been. Var, you have come across as passive-aggressive in a couple of your posts and as very disrespectful in others. I am asking you to stop. I am also leaving the following reminders for everyone, taken from BZPower's Rules & Guidelines:

"BZPower does not condone discrimination or intolerance. Members should not treat each other with disdain or contempt because of race, religious preference, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or a similar quality or belief. In addition, speech or acts that isolate others or belittle them because of a physiological trait or a belief are not acceptable. This especially includes saying you are anti or against a group of people that can be characterized by a shared quality or belief. Members will face administrative action up to and including banning if their actions are severe enough."

"Respect your fellow members. Time to be cliche: treat others as you wish to be treated. You should not degrade, insult, or make fun of anyone on this site."

-Mesonak

No women are totally slaves to their emotions, it's called biotruth

obvs

-Mesonak

It's not a sexist archtype, that's how Alena actually acts. This isn't a made up character, it's a real member of BZPower.

You're the one who brought sexism in to this, and you're the one saying that Alena is a sexist archtype, therefore you are the sexist one.

That doesn't follow at all. How does critiquing sexism make one sexist? Yo no comprendo.

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

Princess Grr, this is not the place for a social or political debate, and BZPower has rules against it.

BZPower does have rules against political discussion, but nothing political has been brought up. There are no rules banning social debate, provided that it be separated from politics.

So I'm actually pretty angry and disappointed because of what has been going on in this topic. Be warned that I am quite prepared to punish people if things continue as they have been. Var, you have come across as passive-aggressive in a couple of your posts and as very disrespectful in others. I am asking you to stop. I am also leaving the following reminders for everyone, taken from BZPower's Rules & Guidelines:

"BZPower does not condone discrimination or intolerance. Members should not treat each other with disdain or contempt because of race, religious preference, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or a similar quality or belief. In addition, speech or acts that isolate others or belittle them because of a physiological trait or a belief are not acceptable. This especially includes saying you are anti or against a group of people that can be characterized by a shared quality or belief. Members will face administrative action up to and including banning if their actions are severe enough."

"Respect your fellow members. Time to be cliche: treat others as you wish to be treated. You should not degrade, insult, or make fun of anyone on this site."

Preemptively quoting myself because if it wasn't clear before, then it should be now: STOP.

WHAT IS ALLOWED:

• Posts about the comic
  • Posts about any elements of the comic, be they positive or negative
  • RESPECTFUL discussion about these elements

WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED:

• Passive-aggressive trolling or just any trolling
  • Personal attacks
  • Disrespect and intolerance

If you need clarification about any of these points then for goodness' sake, PM me. If you are unsure about your post then PM me. I do not want to have to take further action.

My take on the comic:

I do not think the jokes are funny. I see the racism and sexism inherent in the material. I do not find them offensive, however, as they are pretty much the lowest common denominator of each of those types of humour. Cheap laughs that fell flat, basically.

Art assets are nice, though. A step above the standard RayG spritekit comic.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert