T&M! Comics Semifinal Poll

T&M! Comics Semifinal Poll  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey here's another warning for you all.

DO NOT SEND ANON HATE TO CONTESTANTS ON TUMBLR.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Normally staff will not intervene on other websites, but since this is directly related to the contest I will not excuse it. When I find out who you are, even if there's more than one of you doing this, you will be off of this site immediately.

What about those who are getting flamed or "crud posted" about because they voted for the wrong comic?

It's kind of uncomfortable for me to have to see that on tumblr.

They're not calling you slurs or harassing you just because you're in the lead. I'm not planning to police Tumblr here.

There's been some interesting things said about those of us on the -other- side of the fence though HH. While I agree that Anonymous hate messages are wrong and should rightfully be halted with extreme prejudice if required, this whole.... "thing" isn't entirely one sided.

It's really sad that it's gotten to this point at all, but the sheer lack of respect for the opposition on -both- sides of this kind of shocks me.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Hey here's another warning for you all.

DO NOT SEND ANON HATE TO CONTESTANTS ON TUMBLR.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Normally staff will not intervene on other websites, but since this is directly related to the contest I will not excuse it. When I find out who you are, even if there's more than one of you doing this, you will be off of this site immediately.

What about those who are getting flamed or "crud posted" about because they voted for the wrong comic?

It's kind of uncomfortable for me to have to see that on tumblr.

They're not calling you slurs or harassing you just because you're in the lead. I'm not planning to police Tumblr here.

Actually, saying "firetruck" that Rarity (swear) is a form of harassing. :/

You can't say you're gonna protect one side from getting cussed at, and let them harass those voting for someone else.

Edited by Rarity

There's been some interesting things said about those of us on the -other- side of the fence though HH. While I agree that Anonymous hate messages are wrong and should rightfully be halted with extreme prejudice if required, this whole.... "thing" isn't entirely one sided.

It's really sad that it's gotten to this point at all, but the sheer lack of respect for the opposition on -both- sides of this kind of shocks me.

Okay no, saying "[screw] this guy" or "I can't believe people are supporting something that has offensive content" is just a completely different ballpark from anonymously (or not anonymously) sending repeat threatening messages and using sexual slurs to harass an individual.

The former is complaining. The latter is literally a hate crime.

This isn't about "sides." These are completely different things. And yes Rarity, I saw your original post, and that accusation was spurious.

Edited by Princess Grr
bring back "an cool dude"

I think an interesting thing that no one seems to have pointed out is that Eljay's comic uses Rayg 2.0

2.5 has been out since like 2007, and it's much more consistent and professional and generally nice-looking by most standards

2.0 is relatively sloppy by comparison, but Eljay continues to use it because he likes how it looks

He deliberately uses inferior sprites to pull off a certain visual style

How is that ANY different than what BAC does (at least beyond Eljay's atempted style not being executed anywhere near as well)

Eljay's comics don't use Rayg 2.0 because there are intentionally "inferior." That's not the purpose behind using them. BAC intentionally uses inferior graphics simply because they are inferior. That's part of the appeal, which I can totally get even if I don't agree with. :P

-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Okay no, saying "[screw] this guy" or "I can't believe people are supporting something that has offensive content" is just a completely different ballpark from anonymously (or not anonymously) sending repeat threatening messages and using sexual slurs to harass an individual.

This isn't about "sides." These are completely different things. And yes Rarity, I saw your original post, and that accusation was spurious.

You said what I was typing before I finished typing it, so thanks, Princess.

I'm calling on the anon hate slurs to stop.

I know there's a big debate going on outside of the BZP public forum.

I can not and will not police what everyone says on Tumblr in regards to this contest and in regards to other members.

That is not my job.

But being called sexual slurs simply for being in the lead of this contest is not going to stand.

This isn't about "sides." These are completely different things.

That's not what I've been reading. Either of the examples given are one thing, but saying that, and I quote "All the misogynistic and Homophobic BZPower Members are voting for Eljay's Comic." Is a little extreme don't you think? So what if some of us voted for LJ's comic over something that was meant to be Ironic and, for some of us, completely missed the mark (READ: I got a headache after two pages). That doesn't make us bad people, even if some people went to the extreme of posting anonymous hate.

I fail to see where calling everyone who votes for an opposing entry "Misogynistic and Homophobic" somehow ISN"T on the same level as people anonymously attacking the opposing entry.

And yes, the aforementioned quote was said on Tumblr, but so was the anonymous hate.

And whether or not I'm feeding the fire, this has legitimately upset me and I have every right to defend myself against this.

EDIT: And yes, I would normally agree with both of you, before I get some sort of backlash for not saying that.

Edited by Lord Kini Hawkeye

You said what I was typing before I finished typing it, so thanks, Princess.

I'm calling on the anon hate slurs to stop.

I know there's a big debate going on outside of the BZP public forum.

I can not and will not police what everyone says on Tumblr in regards to this contest and in regards to other members.

That is not my job.

But being called sexual slurs simply for being in the lead of this contest is not going to stand.

*sigh*

You're missing my point. Last post on this for me.

I didn't see them being insulted for being in the lead, but they may have not posted those questions.

I think the reason people have trouble with this, is because you're only standing up for one person. And that person is insulting others for not voting for his comic.

In the words of many CoD players, "I'm done!"

I fail to see where calling everyone who votes for an opposing entry "Misogynistic and Homophobic" somehow ISN"T on the same level as people anonymously attacking the opposing entry.

They're not "anonymously attacking the other entry" thoughThey are personally harassing Pumpkin in ways that would be disgusting and hurtful if they weren't so hilariously stupidThey're directly sending loads of asks and casually throwing around awful slursThat's... really not the same thing

Edited by Lime Paradox

RksnKgM.jpg

Hi kids. Makaru here. HH is going to take a quick breather.

Please wait for me to edit this post.

FIRST OFF. EVERYONE HERE IS RATHER HEATED. MY ADVICE IS FOR EVERYONE TO WALK AWAY TONIGHT. Take a breather. Confide in a book. Go have some comfort food. Do what you need to do to distract yourself from this contest right now.

Lord Kini Hawkeye, I do not believe you were targeted personally. The comment was not directed at everyone who voted for the entry, just an unnamed few.

Rarity, it has been explained to you that bickering about a contest being unfair is UNEQUAL to hate speech. I don't think HH or I should have to explain that again.

LASTLY: THIS IS A POLL. ONCE YOU HAVE MADE YOUR OPINION KNOWN, THAT SHOULD BE THE END OF IT. Don't like the comic people are voting for? Cool! You know where you can discuss that? In their respective threads. That's why discussion topics exist.

~~ANGRY MAK HAS SPOKEN~~

I kinda feel bad for entries 2-4 to be honest.

Like a lot.

-Mesonak

Ditto.

********HAHLI HUSKY UPDATE********

Further disturbances will result in administrative action depending on the severity of the instance.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Personally named or not the statement was made to apply as a blanket for anyone who voted for LJ's comic, if the intent was to call out a select few than it clearly failed because I took the phrasing at face value.

That being said, I will back out for the night and/or the duration of this. I've said my peace and done what I felt needed to be done. If everyone wants to continue this in PC or whatever (not that I can see why they would *shrug*) they're welcome to do so.

Honestly everyone, even myself, is making this more of an issue than it needs to be. It's become quite the circle of offending and being offended, but I will back out and enjoy a cookie as suggested :P

Rarity, it has been explained to you that bickering about a contest being unfair is UNEQUAL to hate speech. I don't think HH or I should have to explain that again.

But it wasn't bickering.It was... insulting and cussing at. That's why I'm offended. Anyway, I just want you to know what it was and why I was offended. I think I'll take your advice about walking away now.Whoa, was still posting during the update. Ignore that.I feel bad for the other entries getting caught up in this. Third place should get a prize. Edited by Rarity

I like how all the hate for Eljay's comic is left alone.But all the dislike for Pumpkin's comic is instantly deleted.Seriously.There's a long rant on the previous page that basically bashes anyone that did not like the first entry, and it gets to stay.Someone wants to make a rebuttal to that? NOPE. It gets deleted.Maybe the staff really like BAC?Now, I'm not going to take sides here. This whole thing's a mess, honestly.In the past day that I've followed this topic I've just had to shake my head at everything that's been going on.Three entries are being blatantly ignored for what seems to be a brutally biased war between two "controversial" comics.One is an average sprite comic that apparently contains racism and sexism (even though I can't find any sexism in it whatsoever, I mean really. It's a girl's hat. Whoa, big deal.) and the other is... Different in style, I guess, and somehow a complete masterpiece to many. Whatever. To each their own.(I guess that phrase does not matter here)Now, I'm here to support the comics running in this contest, but obviously this isn't a contest anymore.And if this is how situations are going to be handled in the future of this website, then personally, I'm done with it.It's all become a complete waste of time. And being a member of this web site as long as I have been, I'm actually pretty disappointed with what's become of the comic community. Everyone got to share their opinion, especially the bac supporters for some reason, so I felt like sharing mine. =DAnd if it helps keeping this post from getting deleted...GO ENTRY 1! YOU ARE THE BEST! Whoever disagrees is just a sexist/racist/etc!(honestly, if i were staff, the way i would handle this is by disqualifying both controversial entries. that'd shut everyone up and let the underdogs have a chance)Alright, that's about it.See ya BZP. You were fun to visit... maybe a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

The Venom, I'm not sure what you're on about. I've been following this topic closely too, and haven't seen a single post get deleted. You also seem to be adding a connection between the support of entry one and the criticism of entry 5 where none technically exists. Granted, those of us who are discomforted by the racism and sexism in entry 5 seem to also tend to prefer entry 1 in this contest, but correlation does not imply causality. There isn't a "war" here.

I voted for BAC because it's the best comic here, in my opinion. I'm also particularly fond of entry 4, which is creative, well-drawn, and interestingly laid-out; but I liked BAC more, so I voted for it.

As for entry 5, I've no ill-will towards its author (I don't know him personally at all), and I doubt he intended the the sexism and racism in the comic, but it does exist, I'm discomforted by it, and I would have been remiss to not mention it. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean you can just dismiss those who do, and who've been offended by it. Especially when the reaction to simply calling out this discomforting issues has been disproportionate and hurtful - in the comic thread, expressing discomfort or offense was greeted with insults and vitriol. Offsite, the author of BAC was subjected to, I must reiterate, harassment on the level of a hate crime.

And yet you and others in this thread continue to treat that as being equal to saying "I like entry one best" or "I think entry 5 is offensive?"

If there's any "side favouring" going on, it's the fact that you're being allowed to say something so audacious.

There's definitely a correlation between those in favor of BAC and those who are against Mighty Morphin, to deny such a claim is just silly. People who have voted for # 5 have been told that they are equal to sexists and misogynist (words said by a staff member no doubt). They have been told that they should not have voted for their preferred entry, and instead should have nulled entirely whether they saw the comic itself as offensive or not.

There is a very clear one sided bias here. Does it equate to the continuous anonymous bashing and belittling that happened? No, it doesn't. But that doesn't make it any less unfair.

This contest is no longer about the best comic winning, its about sending a message to those who supported the losing comic, it seems.

Edited by Illustrious Var
untitled-4.png

There's definitely a correlation between those in favor of BAC and those who are against Mighty Morphin, to deny such a claim is just silly. People who have voted for # 5 have been told that they are equal to sexists and misogynist (words said by a staff member no doubt). They have been told that they should not have voted for their preferred entry, and instead should have nulled entirely whether they saw the comic itself as offensive or not.

1. The statement to which you are referring was said that (known) misogynists and homophones were all voting for the entry, not that voting for the entry made them misogynists and homophobes. Very different things, there. Sorry you were confused. Dig now?

2. There's nothing wrong with finding the comic's non-racist, non-sexist elements to be funny, or the art to be good, and so on. There are qualities of the comic that are good. But I (and others) would argue that supporting the comic inherently dismisses those offensive elements - ergo, "I can excuse the offensive elements because I like the rest." Which is, by proxy, also offensive, or "OK-ing" racism/sexism. Does that make sense? That's why some were encouraging people to null instead.

I like BAC. I enjoy its style, as I think the intentional horribleness of it is humorous. It's certainly more memorable than any sprite comic I've ever seen. I also don't like entry 5. This is not just because Eljay and I have disagreed on things in the past - it's because I see inherent sexism and racism in the comic and I don't like it. These two things are completely different. I voted for #1 not out of spite for #5. My dislike of #5 has nothing to do with the fact that I voted for #1, it only has to do with the fact that I crossed it off of the list of entries I was considering voting for when I first perused the topic. The Princess just said this better than I can, but it bears repeating: just because people with certain views all voted #5 doesn't mean that everyone who voted for #5 is bad or holds those views. I'd like to think that a good majority just didn't see what the rest of us were offended by in the comic.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Pretty much, yes.I voted for entry #5 because I am a massive toku (AKA Super Sentai/Power Rangers) fan and enjoyed the parody. It very obviously fit the monsters them well.I didn't think any more of it. My casted vote intended absolutely no offense to anybody.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I am having a hard time believing all the drama and ill-will that has come out in this poll.In light of people consistently being unable or unwilling to listen to the staff and stop certain discussions, voting ends now. I will be discussing with Hahli Husky if the current standings will remain or if we will be doing something else.