BrickFair Party Feedback

Black Six

I can't believe BrickFair was almost two weeks ago already. Time sure does fly. Many of you were able to come to the party we held at Shadowland Adventures, and I hope you had a blast - I sure did. But if you didn't that's okay too. Basically I want to know what you did and didn't like about the party and what can we do to improve it next year (if we do one again).Some questions to kick things off:Did you have fun?Would you do it again next year?How could it have been better?Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?Would you prefer some other type of activity? If so, what?My main thought is - we definitely could have used a bigger room. I had initially made the reservation for twenty, and twenty-seven of us showed up. If we do this next year, I'll make sure to expect more people and get a bigger space. Prior to BrickFair, only sixteen people had bought tickets. I possibly could have asked for a bigger room earlier, but there were a lot of people who didn't buy tickets on the store or give me money in person until the last minute. The more heads up I have, the better I can plan it.Obviously there were some issues with the teams on the second game. I think next year we could talk on the forums in advance and maybe make some requests for the type of games we'd like to play. That would mean less chaos and more fun. (Although chaos can be fun too!)Originally I had wanted to just do a pizza party, which would have been a bit more relaxed, but the Holiday Inn requires that you use their (expensive) catering if you reserve one of their rooms. I couldn't find anywhere else where we could just rent some space so I came up with this alternative. I liked the way it worked out, but am open to other suggestions.I'd love to do this again next year, so please give me your feedback!

Did you have fun?Heck yeah - even if I did get your signature laser tag move: the banhammer.Would you do it again next year?Of course! It's been a blast every time.How could it have been better?Would have preferred it to have been on Friday, but that's only because I missed the BrickFair yard sale. (Not a major concern; still picked up some nice loot from it despite getting back later than anticipated.)Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?See above.Would you prefer some other type of activity? If so, what?Laser tag is good with me, as long as I know who my teammates are. :P

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I had plenty of fun, but I think I would have preferred it on, say, Friday night as opposed to Saturday. That, however, is only due to the fact that I had a game to get to. I would do it again gladly, though.

Otherwise, my only suggestion is our official adoption of DZPower for future events. I think D conveys a certain air of elegance and class that B just can't.

Edited by Der Xaeger

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

Did you have fun?Yes, it was tiring but very fun overall!Would you do it again next year?Yes, no doubt about it.How could it have been better?I guess same concern as above; if the timing is too tough for some people change it up a bit.Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?Worked for me, but depends on othersWould you prefer some other type of activity? If so, what?Not any that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'd be open to any ideas!

tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o2_500.jpg
tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o1_500.jpg

Did you have fun?

Oh my goodness yes.

Would you do it again next year?

You'd better believe it.

How could it have been better?

The first thing I thought of was a bigger room, which was of course mentioned already.

Also there wasn't enough water - by the time I got a chance to get something to drink the water (and lemonade) was gone all that was left was soda, which I just don't like. But being so thirsty after the first game I had to drink something... :( I mean I guess there was a water fountain but I didn't know about that until just as we were walking into the second game.

I would've liked to play at least one more round, as well, though that would of course cost more.

And it would've been nice to officially introduce everyone; I didn't know who a couple people were.

And I agree that DZPower should be a thing from now on.

Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?

Worked fine for me, though as Sumiki said we missed most of the yard sale. I'd never been to Brickfair before, so I'm not really sure how great the deals I was missing were or anything.

Would you prefer some other type of activity? If so, what?

Nothing comes to mind at the moment, though I'd certainly be open to doing something else.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

Did you have fun?Yep, it was a blast! Being able to have our own party also meant we didn't have to deal with the regulars like last year.Would you do it again next year?HECK YES. No question. I'd pre-pay for it a year early if you put it on the store right now.How could it have been better?Aside from more control/voting over the gamemodes? Personally, I'd love to get a chance to play an actual multi-teams mode (with color designations, unlike that debacle of a second game).Although it was tiring, those two games left me wanting more. Last year we played a ton of games well into the night, because of the Unlimited Play deal they've got on Fridays. I was incredibly achy for the rest of the weekend, but it was so worth it.Also, we need more BZP team t-shirts. Seriously, our shirts are so cool, but barely anyone wore them for the match this year!Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?It worked out okay, but there were some odd quirks, like how Public Day guests like Psychoshy had to hide out for a good while after public hours before the party actually started, and also missing out on the yard sale (which I didn't realize until after we got back). I dunno what better options there would be, to be honest. Maybe with Brickfair potentially being an extra day longer next year, it may open up some possibilities.Would you prefer some other type of activity? If so, what?No way, Lasertag is a must. However, I think we should plan additional hang-out activities, like that small grill-out we had last year.~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

Edited by Avohkah Tamer

How could it have been better?Would have preferred it to have been on Friday, but that's only because I missed the BrickFair yard sale. (Not a major concern; still picked up some nice loot from it despite getting back later than anticipated.)

I had plenty of fun, but I think I would have preferred it on, say, Friday night as opposed to Saturday. That, however, is only due to the fact that I had a game to get to. I would do it again gladly, though.

Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?It worked out okay, but there were some odd quirks, like how Public Day guests like Psychoshy had to hide out for a good while after public hours before the party actually started, and also missing out on the yard sale (which I didn't realize until after we got back). I dunno what better options there would be, to be honest. Maybe with Brickfair potentially being an extra day longer next year, it may open up some possibilities.

The issue with Friday night is we have to set up stanchions and then a few of us who volunteer for BrickFair go off to the coordinator dinner. I'm not going to organize something I can't attend! :PRegarding the public day people - they stop letting the public in at 4:00PM and they kick everyone out at 4:30PM. Our event started at 4:45PM. That's pretty darn close to overlapping if you ask me.All that said, BrickFair is going to be an extra day next year, likely Wednesday-Sunday. So perhaps we can do this Thursday night, although that would make it even harder for the public guests to attend. I suppose Sunday night is also possible, although I think a lot of us would prefer something more relaxed after we have to pack up and break down everything. Keep letting me know your thoughts though!

How could it have been better?I would've liked to play at least one more round, as well, though that would of course cost more.

How could it have been better?Although it was tiring, those two games left me wanting more. Last year we played a ton of games well into the night, because of the Unlimited Play deal they've got on Fridays. I was incredibly achy for the rest of the weekend, but it was so worth it.Also, we need more BZP team t-shirts. Seriously, our shirts are so cool, but barely anyone wore them for the match this year!

What we got was the 'Silver Package,' which included the room, the drinks, and two games of laser tag. The 'Gold package', which includes a third game, is $6 more. As part of a group, I'm not sure we can take advantage of things like 'Unlimited Play.' I do have some ideas for next year to possibly reduce the cost (perhaps a better way to put it is 'distribute the cost') now that I have an idea of the turnout.

How could it have been better?Also there wasn't enough water - by the time I got a chance to get something to drink the water (and lemonade) was gone all that was left was soda, which I just don't like. But being so thirsty after the first game I had to drink something... :( I mean I guess there was a water fountain but I didn't know about that until just as we were walking into the second game.And it would've been nice to officially introduce everyone; I didn't know who a couple people were.

That's a good idea! I know I asked a couple times for more drinks, but bringing a case of bottled water or two would probably help a lot.Fair enough. I think I'd also like to be more organized, personally, and make sure all the forms are filled out in advance. That way the first ten-fifteen minutes could be spent with some introductions and other stuff.Here's a random idea - how about some LEGO set prizes for each round? Nothing too big, but a $10-15 set for the top score and maybe highest accuracy (or second highest, if highest is the same as the top score).

Did you have fun?I know that I would've, having played Laser Tag before.Would you do it again next year?Abso-freakin'-lutelyHow could it have been better?IDK, I wasn't there.Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?It would've worked for me if I wasn't at a swim meet. Would you prefer some other type of activity? If so, what?As long as it's fun, I'm in.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Here's a random idea - how about some LEGO set prizes for each round? Nothing too big, but a $10-15 set for the top score and maybe highest accuracy (or second highest, if highest is the same as the top score).

That would indeed be awesome, but there's a good chance whoever is most skilled among us could get first place multiple times (as I believe Friar Tuck did this year). Would winners be restricted to only getting one set, with a second win perhaps deferring the prize to whoever got second place?

Also, I have to wonder whether there might be other winning criteria that would help level the playing field a bit more, giving less-experienced players more of a fighting chance at winning a set. Team-based gamemodes may help in that regard.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that the accuracy percentage and number of shots is a little bit wonky in their system. Depending on the gamemode, it usually seems to max out at 99 shots and take the average from those. At least one match last year gave all of us an accuracy rating at 75% or higher, which was totally incorrect. If we use accuracy as a winning criteria, we'd want to make sure the stat is counted correctly first.

~ (A VTOAHMKEARH)

Edited by Avohkah Tamer

That would indeed be awesome, but there's a good chance whoever is most skilled among us could get first place multiple times (as I believe Friar Tuck did this year). Would winners be restricted to only getting one set, with a second win perhaps deferring the prize to whoever got second place?

Personally, I think the staff should be exempt from prizes (more of a courtesy thing than anything), but I do like the idea of one set per winner, then default to the runner-up and so on.

Also on a more personal note, I think we could benefit a lot from maybe splitting the group up next year, so half of BZP plays a game, then the other half plays. Then like a champions bout at the end?? The arena was a ridiculous amount of small for the thirty-odd people we had running around in there.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Also on a more personal note, I think we could benefit a lot from maybe splitting the group up next year, so half of BZP plays a game, then the other half plays. Then like a champions bout at the end?? The arena was a ridiculous amount of small for the thirty-odd people we had running around in there.

With the packages, I'm not sure we could easily do that, unless people don't want to play in all the games. I didn't feel like the FFA was crowded. Personally I think we all ran around so much during the first game that a lot of us just camped during the second, making it feel more congested.

Did you have fun?Yeah! Laser tag with friends is always a win in my book!

Would you do it again next year?Sure thing! This was a blast and a great activity between convention fun.

How could it have been better?More time for food. Slipping a game between pizza slices didn't work well for me, and a little more eating time before the second game would have been great.

Also, I'm sure once we request a bigger room and let them know we expect a large crowd we would get more pitchers of water/soda. That stuff went quickly between all of us (and of course we wanted it right after running around the maze).

Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?For everyone? IDK. I felt it worked well. The public hours ending was a definitive marking for a change of pace--people are leaving, time for the next thing. Sure, we could do it Friday during the day or in the evening, but I also felt there was other stuff going on--games or talks, stanchion set up, evening dinners... Saturday seemed logical to me.

Plus, half the point of holding it right after the public left on Saturday was so we could include visiting BZPers that came during public hours, so they could hang out with us a little longer after.

Nah, laser tagging at BrickFair has been a thing for a while now, and I'm glad I was finally able to take part. Everyone seemed to have fun (as they ought to). The price (for two games and dinner) was reasonable to me. I can't think of any other activity in the area that would provide this quality time with BZPers.

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Did you have fun?

Yes! Laser tag is always fun, and it's better when it's a big group like that!

Would you do it again next year?

Heck yes!

How could it have been better?

I didn't like the timing; yard sale is one of my favorite parts about brickfair, and I had to skip the bulk of it for the party; I managed to get a good balance of both in though, so it was win/win. But I think maybe a poll for times in advance would be good for next time. I also like the idea of requesting game types, because every time I go to shadowland, the more complicated game types don't work.Did the timing (Saturday right after the public left) work for everyone?

See above. It wasn't the worst, but I think sunday could have worked, because brickfair ends pretty early on sunday and I'm in no rush to get home; it's just that everyone leaves and there's no reason to stay :(

Nah. I think laser tag is good, but I think we should have some bzp events during thursday/friday; maybe some bionicle dirty buildster. A Hero Factory or Bionicle parts draft would be fantastic, I think that should happen too. Brickfair doesn't cater to Bionicle well, so I think we should cater to ourselves :D

Here's a random idea - how about some LEGO set prizes for each round? Nothing too big, but a $10-15 set for the top score and maybe highest accuracy (or second highest, if highest is the same as the top score).

I don't think their accuracy works at Shadowland; Colin registerd a 100% accuracy, which I don't think he got; granted he IS good, and conservative with his shots, but not THAT good :P

I think it's a good idea in theory, but in practice I think it will come down to only a few people if it's skill based, and if you want it to be random, well, that's what raffles are for :P But I'm not against a raffle either.

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png