Arctic Cat Snowmobile

Roa McToa

Decided to build me a slightly bigger than miniland scale version of a 2011 Arctic Cat M8 ltd 153" track snowmobile out of Bionicle pieces. Its a pretty close rendition to the real thing. I decided to build it without the windscreen on it, cause thats how I ride mine.... windy It has suspension in the rear, and the front a-arms articulate, and you can pose/steer it. I want to make a stopmo with it once winter hits... hehehe Enjoy 9520280657_420a5c4b03.jpg 9520278867_585f696cbd.jpg 9520279759_6b39681a7b.jpg

Edit: Resized images to fit in with the 640x640 pixel and 100 kB guidelines.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

A very great snowmobile (though I am absolutely unfamiliar with such vehicles). Of course the entire design looks solid and flows well, but I just keep gaping at the use of the Krana on the front. The entire front is beautifully shaped, but the Krana get the highlight due to the creative use of such difficult-to-use pieces. Really, I can't take my eyes of the perfect smoothness and design of that front.

Can a BIONICLE character ride it? It looks a bit small for Toa, but perhaps a Matoran could?

Edited by V-N
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14816146@N04/9525729310/sizes/m/in/photostream/'>9525729310_5ac29af02e.jpg

Here is the sled for reference.

It is scaled for a figure two bricks taller than a technic fig. Granted a technicfig can ride it, but looks like a kid riding it. I plan on building a fully articulated rider for it. Glad you like the krana useage, its one of my fave things too. Oh, and the track spins too.

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

Snow? What is this "snow" you speak of? :P

That is a great moc. The blue pins are a bit too noticeable, but it's forgivable. I also feel like it's staring at me... Anyway... Great moc.

How well does it roll? I haven't had much experience with those tracks.

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

The track is set on gears and rolls right along. If it was larger I could motorize it. Ill eventually replace the blue pins, I just didn't feel like digging for the black ones at the time.

O, and this snow thing, its cold white and poofy, and soaks you to the bone when it melts on you lol

Glad you like the moc :)

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

Always fantastic to see something you've made! :D

Onto your MOC:

Spectacular piece usage as always, and dat alien head O_o I can't help but to feel that the sled blades could've been slightly slimmer, though.

Nevertheless, fantastic work as always. Your work never ceases to amaze me :D

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Brilliant use of that Alien Conquest head, and the entire thing looks solid - design-wise and colour-wise. If I were to quibble I'd say that the front skis look a little too short, although I don't know if there's a way of fixing that.

Of course you simply must create a rider for it and photograph them together in the snow :D

Roa! Good to see you back, even if it's just to post this snowmobile. I really like it, but it's definitely a departure from your earlier style. The shaping on the front end with the Krana is especially nice. The back end is a bit flat, but I suppose that's just how the real snowmobile is and it works, so I'm not going to complain.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Good to see you building again! It's super cool that you got the struts to turn and everything. The sculpting on the front is ace, though I'm not sure about that one black tube.The back being flat works, but maybe some curved System pieces turned sideways would work instead of the liftarms to get more of a taper.

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

The track is set on gears and rolls right along. If it was larger I could motorize it. Ill eventually replace the blue pins, I just didn't feel like digging for the black ones at the time.

O, and this snow thing, its cold white and poofy, and soaks you to the bone when it melts on you lol

Glad you like the moc :)

Hmm... They just look like they would get poor traction to me... But you would know better than I would.

And yes, us Arizona peoples don't have much experience with cold, white, poofy stuff.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

On a real snowmobile, there are paddles molded into the one piece rubber track. Not only do they get awesome traction in snow, they can also skip across deep water, ride in sand, grass, mud etc.. (granted that stuff wrecks em) Lego does not make a part like this, so until I can get a long enough linked mini track to replace the chains that I used, its a low traction device LOL ;)

Arpy, I've never stopped building, just haven't been posting publicly ;) I have some insane projects going on right now!

I've tried a few different pieces to get the tunnel taper right, but the way the skid is assembled, the existing footboards of the tunnel are a major structural part. I've even tried using some system there, but it looks bad. I think if i make some more accessories, like a bag, and maybe even build a taillight, itd help it some. The tube on the front is the bumper. On the real deal the bumper has space to grab on and tug if you get stuck.

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

Well, if it isn't Roa McToa! It's literally been years since you've posted something in the BBC, and now I see that you've come back in fine form. :D With a vehicle, no less -- I don't believe you've MOCed too many of those!

First of all, the layering of lime pieces on the front of the snowmobile looks great; it smoothly captures the aesthetic of the actual vehicle. In particular, the Alien Conquest face perfectly matches the "visor" apparatus near the handlebars that can be seen in your reference picture. Speaking of which, your custom handlebars look nice, as do the gray pistons holding on the skis. Contrary to what some people have said, I like the single black tube at the front. Also, the treads seem quite solid, and I'm impressed theat the snowmobile has a suspension that actually works at such a small scale. Nice job!

I would like to make a recommendation about the skis -- since you're using silver to begin with, you may want to substitute Kopaka Nuva's skis/swords for the bent liftarms. The size may not be quite right, but I think the shape would be more true to that of the real smowmobile's skis. Also, the back of the snowmobile looks a little flat -- do you think you could put some sort of seat back there? That would add to the craft's realistic appearance, which is already substantial, so it's only a minor flaw.

Still, it's nice to see that you're still alive and MOCing! I don't suppose that you've done anything on the Trials of Terror in your long hiatus? Or do you have awesome Giant Rahi revamps waiting to be posted on BZPower? :P

~B~

Edited by Ballom

The flatness on the back is how the newer "rider forward" snowmobiles really are. If anything, Ill make a bag to put on it, or a rack with a gas can. The angle of the footwells is a bit steep, but I cant change them due to how the undercarriage is supported. I'm gonna build a bigger one next time... As far as the skis go, they are wide and flat. Kopaka's swords would be too big, plus they look like ice skates. The liftarms are the proper scale to the rest of the sled :)

As far as T.O.T. goes, major revampage for trials of terror. When I submit the new mocs, there will be animations to go with it. Im still lining up some good filming equipment, and still fully intend on making the movie, especially after being inspired by some awesome bionicle stopmo I have seen lately. I am going to simplify the main characters for ease of animation, and the existing "matoran" that were fully articulated with fingers will be the Toa of Kaiva Nui.... but that can be discussed at a later time.

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^