Dark709's Comics - The Hereafter

SarracenianKaijin

So here's the thing, I was searching through my old disk drive and found, to my surprise, old BZP comic sprites. Ah yes, even back when I was still young tried to make sprite comics for BZP. Of course I wasn't even part of BZPower, let alone actually made any.

It's all thanks from people like Dark709, Lavaside Rahi, Wiseguy, SK11, VK and all that. I still have quite the fond memories of reading those sprite comics, and even watching the old flash movie. Sure it's nothing all that special now, but back the it was quite something for an impressionable child you dig?

Now, I haven't honestly read all of Dark709's comics. I've read most of the 2.0, but only bits of 3.0 here and there, and only have vaguest memories of them. Even the movies I only have watched the first one, bits of the second, but never the third or the fourth. But one thing I know is that the comic never really got an conclusion (well, atleast no wikis ever say anything about such). Lavaside Rahi had a nice epilogue, so I thought hey, why not give this one too.

After all, I apparently have nothing better to do and since Bionicle is long gone, let's bring back memories of the olden days shall we not? I'm sure people here can appreciate an old fan's contribution to an old nostalgic thing?

So here it is. Dark709's Comics - the fancomic - The Hereafter.

blaa.png

This is One Crazy Universe in this One Crazy Comic Studio. And who knows it better than the ever-grumpy Dark, with his ever weird and crazy friends around him? Together, they experienced many joys and many laughs, defeating Dark's archnemesis Pickles and his dim-witted robotic assistant Mr. Zimmwad.

But what happened afterwards? After all the fun and all the hilarity, what have we learned?

The class is in session. Let us see what the experts of comedy can teach us...

-----

Comics:

Prologue.

1. Fragments

2. Mirrors.

Act 1: Descent

3. Scars

4. Coming of Age: Part 1

5. Coming of Age: Part 2

6. Oldtown

7. Exiles NEW

-----

Also, we are accepting Guest Stars too. Just PM and stuff.

1.Tahukan

2. Magnesius (Makuta Luroka)

3. Phinto

4. Kayn

------

Credits to:

Dark709, for his enjoyable comics of my youth and various stuff he made.

Marty Razor Kirra, for his excellent sprites.

And bunch of others credited here.

And also Lavaside Rahi, whose work greatly inspired this one.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin
  • Upvote 3

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

First of all, I know what you mean. I found a couple of old sprites and comics on my computer today, and man the nostalgia. In fact today's the time I 'visited BZP in months.

Anyways on to the comic itself. I'm loving the premise of this and from the first comic, I can tell this can develop into an amazing story. A couple of notes however.

First, I found the comic, or at least the text at tad to small to read properly, maybe try making them larger next time. Second, I think you should colour the text differently for the different characters. It helps to differentiate who is speaking at the moment (although I read it fine in this comic, it might get confusing later on)

Cheers to what I think might be a great series.

~Exon

• Upvote 2

I would post saying only, "You're awesome," but I would get reported for spam, and rightfully so. Then I would have to delete my own post or maybe leave an edit telling myself to read the rules, which I wrote. You get the picture.

As you can see, I support the "put a windrider quote in your sig" movement. I do hope it catches on.

O kewl. I be Tohunga. But I suh tinee. owell.

-{ Bad Images }- -{ What Just Happened 2.0 }-

Men, people. Friends.

It's another comic. An update. Yes.

Get it while it's still hot.

---------

And now for the comments:

First of all, I know what you mean. I found a couple of old sprites and comics on my computer today, and man the nostalgia. In fact today's the time I 'visited BZP in months.

Anyways on to the comic itself. I'm loving the premise of this and from the first comic, I can tell this can develop into an amazing story. A couple of notes however.

First, I found the comic, or at least the text at tad to small to read properly, maybe try making them larger next time. Second, I think you should colour the text differently for the different characters. It helps to differentiate who is speaking at the moment (although I read it fine in this comic, it might get confusing later on)

Cheers to what I think might be a great series.

~Exon

First, thank you very much for commenting. It's always appreciated. Nice to hear that you are excited about this too.

Yes, the font is a little problematic. Still toying around with the panel layouts and style and whatnot. Trying to keep it loyal to the original but modernize it enough.

That poster is one of the best things I have ever seen

Thank you very much. I quite enjoy the result as well.

• Upvote 1

hereheis.gif

--------------

I'm really excited to see this pick up. This is just what this sub-fourm needs right now.

Comic 1 was a good starting point, but the small panels and larger amounts of text made it kind of cluttered and hard to read, at least for me. I notice your text is either just like or very close to Dark's, which is fantastic. The style you've pulled of is a lot like LR's but I think well mixed in with Dark's, so it looks good and doesn't feel out of place. That, and I am a sucker for hand drawn stuff like this and LR's.

Comic 2 I think improved a lot, as the panels got bigger so it was easier for me to read and nicer on the eyes. I like where the story is going in this one, cause you are writing it really well. That last panel sweep me off my feet, it just looks so great. What is written on that tree is a perfect touch to what you are conveying here. I love the attention to detail in this, and the shades and colors flow so well with the darker tone of the story, which is why I'm really eager to see this pick up.

I think the choice of Razor was a good one, as it fits this style a lot better than Chimoru Omega would which is what Dark lasted used. That, and we don't see that very often now a days. Will we know how long after Dark's last comic this takes place? Any mention or involvement of his third movie?

All in all, this is looking to be really great. Very excited to see more!

sig.png

• Upvote 1

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Well people, it's time for another update.

A new comic a day keeps the doctor away.

-----

Now to answer comments:

I'm really excited to see this pick up. This is just what this sub-fourm needs right now.

Comic 1 was a good starting point, but the small panels and larger amounts of text made it kind of cluttered and hard to read, at least for me. I notice your text is either just like or very close to Dark's, which is fantastic. The style you've pulled of is a lot like LR's but I think well mixed in with Dark's, so it looks good and doesn't feel out of place. That, and I am a sucker for hand drawn stuff like this and LR's.

Comic 2 I think improved a lot, as the panels got bigger so it was easier for me to read and nicer on the eyes. I like where the story is going in this one, cause you are writing it really well. That last panel sweep me off my feet, it just looks so great. What is written on that tree is a perfect touch to what you are conveying here. I love the attention to detail in this, and the shades and colors flow so well with the darker tone of the story, which is why I'm really eager to see this pick up.

I think the choice of Razor was a good one, as it fits this style a lot better than Chimoru Omega would which is what Dark lasted used. That, and we don't see that very often now a days. Will we know how long after Dark's last comic this takes place? Any mention or involvement of his third movie?

All in all, this is looking to be really great. Very excited to see more!

sig.png

Thank you very much for your comment and a nice seal. It's always good to see people appreciate the classics.

And oh yes, a more LR-esque aesthetic was definately what I was aiming for with this comic, as I mentioned in the Credits list. So far I'm still toying around with what kind of style I'm aiming for, so I hope there won't be too much of a whiplash.

And don't worry, you'll get answers to your question soon enough. And we did mention a "war" that had happened, but that's enough from me.

Hope you enjoy.

• Upvote 1

hereheis.gif

--------------

• 2 months later...

I like how you are honouring Dark through these comics, they're really good so far.

Now, I'd just like to say firstly that I actually made contact with Dark709 a few months back. This is what he said to me.

After the forums were down for so long and Bionicle ended, I became preoccupied with many other things in my life. Making comics and movies on BZPower was great though, it was one of the most rewarding things I did. But unfortunately I won't be returning to comics.But there is some good news, I'm actually working on a big project right now with some tributes in it to my comics. Within a few months when it's released, I'm going to return to BZPower and show everyone what it is. It's not Bionicle, but I think you guys will really like it...-Dark

INow it has already been a few months but let's see. In the meantime, keep this up its great :)

• Upvote 1

ViSa1Uz.jpg

As infrequent as I post, I will always continue to be a BIONICLE fan

Heh, well since my comment got wiped out I'll have to repeat it. Man, this is a major nostalgia rush. I really like what you've been doing with the characters and how the world around them is being twisted. Definitely looking forward to more. :)

Also Yio that is really great to hear! Def looking forward to seeing what it is he's got planned...

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

... Oh yeah, I was still making these or something.

Whatever new comic's up, only a month too late.

Also as a reminder that WE INDEED are accepting GUEST STARS. In fact, we could need some RIGHT ABOUT NOW. Well, maybe. I dunno, what do you think?

• Upvote 1

hereheis.gif

--------------

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can thank my little brother for getting me to return from the afterscape (by which I mean the brony fandom I joined after I left BZPower). He still occasionally checks BZPower, and he said something about my name being mentioned in a recent comic topic, so I thought I'd see what was up.

Anyway, these comics have been quite the nostalgia trip for me. You've done a marvelous job capturing Dark's style, and the story is intriguing. It's much darker and moodier than my finale, but then it's also rather fitting for Dark, since the tone is quite true to his movies. Honestly, the tone of this is probably pretty close to my original idea for a finale (big, epic, really dark and full of grief) before I scaled it back to something more fitting and more reasonably within my abilities. :P

So kudos to you for doing this! I can't promise I'll be around to watch it progress (I think this is honestly the first time I've even looked at BZP in over a year) but it seems like it will be a fitting tribute. Keep up the good work, as we used to say in these parts! (Good grief, I sound old...)

• Upvote 1

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

• 1 month later...

I'm phinto nuva...

I'm once a kind little matoran... now I'm the samurai chief officer... I don't know that's what they called me... and dark709 I never meat him... but now somethings not what it seems to be... I just need a word with... Jr...

mask:RURU

eyes/heart

lights like the police lights

body/arms

legs/feet

Long/scarf

hands

tool: chained grip sword / light with

Type: toa

Element: hope (turquoise light)

Personality: friendly (even to dark709), child-like, hopeful,

quotes:

Guards, as your chief... uum! Go... find things and stuff...

wait... dark? You mean, the girl robe guy?

Sorry: HOLD IT! YO- look i... didn't know your that old... I'm sorry... *sound sad*

Angry:Just give him time alone, light!!

Against Jr: Explain yourself JR... under your orders we want to find dark709 and cuff him, now your doing something big??

Really dying:

i... *coff* can't believe... that faker... your right... about me... darks... I'm just... a con kid... a noob...

P...please save BZ-koro... there's still... hope... I'm... glad... I found... a friend... :,) *dies*

I just want to be in the story... :(

I'm reopening the comic forum on this link below

phintodaily.gif 
the ask-along-phinto comic
chibimaker.gif
make your own chibitoran
gamedis.gif
game programmer wanted.
razorsprites.gif  
try my sprites if you like.

I'm phinto nuva...

I'm once a kind little matoran... now I'm the samurai chief officer... I don't know that's what they called me... and dark709 I never meat him... but now somethings not what it seems to be... I just need a word with... Jr...

eyes/heart

body/arms

legs/feet

Long/scarf

hands

quotes:

Sorry: HOLD IT! YO- look i... didn't know your that old... I'm sorry... *sound sad*

Against Jr: Explain yourself JR... under your orders we want to find dark709 and cuff him, now your doing something big??

Really dying:

i... *coff* can't believe... that faker... your right... about me... darks... I'm just... a con kid... a noob...

P...please save BZ-koro... there's still... hope... I'm... glad... I found... a friend... :,) *dies*

Guess what?

You're in.

• Upvote 1

hereheis.gif

--------------

I'm phinto nuva...

eyes/heart

body/arms

legs/feet

Long/scarf

hands

quotes:

Really dying:

Guess what?

You're in.

Really..? Wow! I never won anything in my life!!! :0

phintodaily.gif 
chibimaker.gif
make your own chibitoran
gamedis.gif
game programmer wanted.
razorsprites.gif  

This comic is really good, I have a personal love for good noir films and comics. This looks like one of em' :P

• Upvote 1

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, these are great! Used to love Dark's comics back when I was younger, and seeing a conclusion to the comics being made is really cool. Keep it up mate! ^_^

I like how you are honouring Dark through these comics, they're really good so far.

Now, I'd just like to say firstly that I actually made contact with Dark709 a few months back. This is what he said to me.

After the forums were down for so long and Bionicle ended, I became preoccupied with many other things in my life. Making comics and movies on BZPower was great though, it was one of the most rewarding things I did. But unfortunately I won't be returning to comics.But there is some good news, I'm actually working on a big project right now with some tributes in it to my comics. Within a few months when it's released, I'm going to return to BZPower and show everyone what it is. It's not Bionicle, but I think you guys will really like it...-Dark

INow it has already been a few months but let's see. In the meantime, keep this up its great :)

That's awesome.

Now we just have to deal with the suspense of waiting for said project. :P

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

It'll be a next one?... Can I have my own side story prologue comic... before you start? If you don't mind...

Man, that police brutality. When Luroka takes over, things will be different.

Luroka? Oh my... who is he? Jr?

Heh, well since my comment got wiped out I'll have to repeat it. Man, this is a major nostalgia rush. I really like what you've been doing with the characters and how the world around them is being twisted. Definitely looking forward to more. :)

Also Yio that is really great to hear! Def looking forward to seeing what it is he's got planned...

I wouldn't agree more.

It'll be a next one?... Can I have my own side story prologue comic... before you start? If you don't mind...

I wouldn't agree more.

Forgive me... I mean hujo.Jr....

An antagonist...

I wouldn't agree more.

I wouldn't agree more.

Forgive me... I mean hujo.Jr....

An antagonist...

Um... too much?

phintodaily.gif 
chibimaker.gif
make your own chibitoran
gamedis.gif
game programmer wanted.
razorsprites.gif  

I was a big fan of Dark709's comics back in the day, and I'm glad someone's continuing the comics; I've read all the old ones and downloaded what little of the last movie was made. My only gripe with these comics are that they use the old razor kit sprites and not the newer Chimoru Omega sprites Dark709 made for the last season of his comics, at http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=114449 . And the fact that they're so depressing.

Edited by Tren Krom

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

Hey, look! More Dark709 comics! I'm just going to peek in and...

*reads*

...oh my...

I gotta say, MAN, these comics are dark (no pun intended). Everything's gone to slag, Dark709 is depressed... And you know what, I kind of like it. I want to know exactly what happened, and why everything in the Comic Land is going downhill.

By the way, when did you come up with the idea to do this?

Anyway, because I'm busy, here's a teaser for you about the upcoming comics.

hahahafooledu.png

SPECULATION TIME

You're either trolling, or this is actually something really, really, horrible, like Dark709 finally snapped and outright murdered a BZ-Guard in front of witnesses. Or maybe someone sent the BZ-Guard after Dark709 as part of some conspiracy.

Don't know what Takanuva is doing there, though. Maybe he's the narrator?

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

I don't like Chimoru though. Plus wouldn't be loyal to the original vision of the comic.

hahahafooledu.png

SPECULATION TIME

Looks to me like Dark709 is reading a fancomic about Dark709

• 3 weeks later...

know right? i just got hit by feels...

Hey, look! More Dark709 comics! I'm just going to peek in and...

*reads*

...oh my...

I gotta say, MAN, these comics are dark (no pun intended). Everything's gone to slag, Dark709 is depressed... And you know what, I kind of like it. I want to know exactly what happened, and why everything in the Comic Land is going downhill.

By the way, when did you come up with the idea to do this?

hahahafooledu.png

SPECULATION TIME

You're either trolling, or this is actually something really, really, horrible, like Dark709 finally snapped and outright murdered a BZ-Guard in front of witnesses. Or maybe someone sent the BZ-Guard after Dark709 as part of some conspiracy.

Don't know what Takanuva is doing there, though. Maybe he's the narrator?

slaped by feels...

phintodaily.gif 
chibimaker.gif
make your own chibitoran
gamedis.gif
game programmer wanted.
razorsprites.gif  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is no revival in the comics forum. The topic won't ever be closed unless you request it to be, or if a staff has a reason to, which means you can take as long as you'd like to update the thread.

-Rez

Edited by Reznas
  • Upvote 1

There is no revival in the comics forum. The topic won't ever be closed unless you request it to be, or if a staff has a reason to, which means you can take as long as you'd like to update the thread.

-Rez

Yea! There's no limit for creativity :P

• Upvote 2

I really like these. They're a bit more, ah, professional than some other comics. The pixelated-ness works well.

Also, does anyone know where I could read some original Dark709 comics?

Ha! I just found them right before I read this. They're right here. Delightfully bubbly as ever!

banner1.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...