Theoretical Science Behind the Protodermis Molecule

So I was kind of bored today, and suddenly, this crazy idea about the science of the Protodermis Molecule popped into my head. Then I realized it actually made a lot of sense! So I spent a few hours “pondering the Great Thoughts” :P and little by little formed the basis for my now extensive theory.

This theory is trying to explain the possible science and various characteristics of the extraordinarily advanced Protodermis Molecule and many things about the Matoran Universe.

Please remember that what you are about to read is entirely based on theories and evidence, not canon facts. Also, I will probably be adding to this theory as I think of more things. :)

The Protodermis Molecule:

Components:

-Dynamic Protodermis Molecule Programming

-Programmed Non Dynamic Characteristics and Instruction Sets

-Connections | Mental Link

-Scripts

-Systems

-Sub-Systems

-Programs

-Sub-Program Systems

-Program Scripts

-System Scripts

-Energy | Charged Protodermis Molecules

A molecule containing an advanced computer, likely of the quantum type. The Protodermis Molecule groups together with a massive amount of other Protodermis molecules to form complex systems comparable to computer programs. Each Program represents a different material or element in the Matoran Universe.

The Protodermis molecule’s programming is dynamic. The dynamic programming is able to be altered by outside variables, which allows for true randomness and natural occurrences in the MU, as well as deviation from the rules and instructions of the Great Beings. This is what allows for free will and thought of all MU beings. Destiny can be evaded as well because of the ability of Protodermis molecules to deviate from the GB’s programming.

Materials such as Protosteel have relatively simple programming in comparison to systems such as the Power System. The programming is basically a set of characteristics and instructions that define different materials. The high level programming of the material is fed into the dynamic system created by the union of the Protodermis molecules by a Script to form the different materials such as Protosteel. The programming of the materials reacts to changes and variables such as heat and stress in real time, and is sent to the dynamic system by a Script in order to make the corresponding changes to the material. (i.e. extreme heat will cause metal to melt.)

Certain Programs can work in conjunction with each other to form systems. The brain of MU inhabitants is an example of one of these Systems. The Protodermis molecules of different Programs merge to create the System, which in the case of the MU brain is likely a chemical computer, though this cannot be confirmed nor denied since it is unknown if the brain of a MU being is organic, bio-mechanical, or completely mechanical. It is widely assumed that MU brains are mostly if not entirely organic, however.

This also further explains the bodies of MU beings. The Brain System is able to form a mental link with the body through the Central Nervous System, and so it is able to recognize and detect nearly every Protodermis molecule in the body, forming the basis for sensory perception and bodily awareness. This also makes teleportation of the entire body possible as long as the body is not disintegrated or shattered. The Red Star uses this trait to teleport beings to and from it.

Beings in the MU that possess power of any kind are able to control their powers through their Power Energy Reserve and their brain’s mental link. The brain sends both a signal and energy to the either external Protodermis molecules or Protodermis molecules in the Power Channel Exits. (Usually located in hands.) Protodermis molecules must be charged by the Energy Reserve of the user to, which is transported by the Mental Link. Powers cannot be used without the ability to charge the Protodermis molecules with the user’s energy reserve. There are various different types of power, but we will be focusing on Toa Power here. The specific powers are hard coded in to the Brain System of the Toa, and can be of the Control, Multiply, or Reaction categories, forming the basis for all Elemental powers in the MU universe. The mental link from the brain system is able to interact with a specified Program / Element, and either control or multiply that element as per the users thoughts, or produce reactions that create the basis for both real and pseudo Elements. Light is an example of a combination of a Reactionary, Multiplied, and Controlled, and therefore pseudo Element. Pseudo elements do not exist as Programs in the MU. Elemental Light is in fact very different from the general definition of light. The Protodermis molecule is capable of producing reactions that create elemental light that can then be multiplied and controlled to manifest into different Light based abilities such as lasers and light objects. Light’s sister element, Shadow, is also a pseudo element and functions in much the same way as Light. The Light based abilities of the Mask of Light (one of the few Elemental Kanohi) such as resolving conflicts are sub powers of Elemental Light and are control based abilities; they function by altering the Brain System of other beings in a minor and temporary way. When Elemental Power is exhausted, a Toa will have to wait to draw more energy in from the surroundings to fill the energy reserves. This is done on a subconscious and automatic level by a Script. A Script is a Program within another Program or System that runs in the background, providing fundamental subconscious and automatic functions.

The users thoughts are translated into code in real time by the system and fed to the CNS and Mental Link stream by a Script.. When the user first uses his/her powers, no code has been generated yet, and it takes a while for the code to get into a normal, consistent, and quick flow, therefore creating a learning curve. After a while, the user is easily able to control the amount of power used and is able to apply it very quickly. Advanced users of powers will also be able to subconsciously generate additional sets of code to use sub-elemental abilities. This learning curve applies to mask powers as well, but in a different way.

Edited by Trydeltix
  • Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Interesting... so basically a Toa creates fire by sending out electrical impulses that generate a program in surrounding molecules to light htwm up? Cool. So every Bionicle-y stuff wee is under the same concept?Simple but.accurate. quite a job well done.

Thanks! :D

In the case of a Toa of Fire, his thoughts would be translated into code by the Translator Script and fed into the Central Nervous System. The CNS isn't quite the same thing as a human CNS. It functions in a slightly different way. The CNS then receives the instructions from the code and summons the energy of the Toa's Elemental Power, and then sends it through the power channel of the Toa's body and to the Protodermis structures in the hands, which in turn either produce the reaction needed to create fire, or channel the power into the Toa Tool to create it.

And yes, all elemental power and power in general works in this same basic way. (according to my theory of course. :P )

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

Just looking over this crudely, I note that the Elemental Energy under this theory would have to be projected from the hands through the air in order to make Fire or something else a bit away from the being, to allow for story instances when this occurred. (Makuta's protocage sequence is an example.)

Since the RTE is rebelling against me, comments in green.

Components:

This seems like a contradiction to me. "Dynamic" means "subject to change", whereas "non-dynamic" (and actually opposite of Dynamic is Static :P) implies that the programming does not change. I think you meant that the GBs programmed a wide variety of programs into the protodermis molecule, but once they programmed the functions in it doesn't change? Or are you implying that certain "basic characteristics" are programmed in that don't change whereas the whole program can change?

For example, in a programming language I use, "int" is a representation of a numerical value. In any given program, I can say "int fortyTwo = 42" or "int superLongNumber= 400003578456", but that does not change what int is. Is that what you were getting at?

Am I right in thinking that that a) there are connections within the mind as well, and b) that the term "mental link" is a simplification, as I think there would be multiple and discrete links to different actions, powers, etc?

-Scripts

-Systems

-Sub-Systems

Not sure what the difference is...reading on...

-Programs

-Sub-Program Systems

-Program Scripts

-System Scripts

Confused.

Makes sense.

A molecule containing an advanced computer, likely of the quantum type. The Protodermis Molecule groups together with a massive amount of other Protodermis molecules to form complex systems comparable to computer programs. Each Program represents a different material or element in the Matoran Universe.

If each molecule contains a computer, then why does it take multiple computers to run a program? If the systems run the programs, shouldn't they be the computers, and the molecules computer components? And computer programs are never comparable to systems - systems are what run the programs. I do not understand this logic.

The last sentence confuses me too. Are you thinking the GBs coded up programs for materials/elements?

The Protodermis molecule’s programming is dynamic. The dynamic programming is able to be altered by outside variables, which allows for true randomness and natural occurrences in the MU, as well as deviation from the rules and instructions of the Great Beings. This is what allows for free will and thought of all MU beings.

I would add that it could be altered by "inside variables" as well. For example if Mata Nui did something like raise the inside temperature of the robot a few degrees, this variable change might cause some reactions. Or if a being is feeling sad, that might affect other molecules as well, etc.

Destiny can be evaded as well because of the ability of Protodermis molecules to deviate from the GB’s programming.

I would be careful saying this; destiny tends to correct its evasions.

Materials such as Protosteel have relatively simple programming in comparison to systems such as the Power System. (OK) The programming is basically a set of characteristics and instructions that define different materials.(OK) The high level programming of the material is fed into the dynamic system created by the union of the Protodermis molecules by a Script to form the different materials such as Protosteel. The programming of the materials reacts to changes and variables such as heat and stress in real time, and is sent to the dynamic system by a Script in order to make the corresponding changes to the material. (i.e. extreme heat will cause metal to melt.)(OK)

Certain Programs can work in conjunction with each other to form systems.(OK) The brain of MU inhabitants is an example of one of these Systems. The Protodermis molecules of different Programs merge to create the System, which in the case of the MU brain is likely a chemical computer, though this cannot be confirmed nor denied since it is unknown if the brain of a MU being is organic, bio-mechanical, or completely mechanical. It is widely assumed that MU brains are mostly if not entirely organic, however.

Chemical processes in the real-world are rather slow. I would think some form of electric communication would be involved, especially since the Matoran need masks to stay conscious.

This also further explains the bodies of MU beings. The Brain System is able to form a mental link with the body through the Central Nervous System, and so it is able to recognize and detect nearly every Protodermis molecule in the body, forming the basis for sensory perception and bodily awareness. This also makes teleportation of the entire body possible as long as the body is not disintegrated or shattered. The Red Star uses this trait to teleport beings to and from it.

Okay, but not sure why the brain has anything to do with teleportation. Should be a simple matter of moving a system of protodermis molecules from one place to another, right? Well, granted, the body has to be dissembled, moved, and reassembled somewhere else, but that would be a function of the teleportation power itself, not the protodermis molecule in general.

Beings in the MU that possess power of any kind are able to control their powers through their Power Energy Reserve and their brain’s mental link. The brain sends both a signal and energy to the either external Protodermis molecules or Protodermis molecules in the Power Channel Exits. (Usually located in hands.) Protodermis molecules must be charged by the Energy Reserve of the user to, which is transported by the Mental Link. Powers cannot be used without the ability to charge the Protodermis molecules with the user’s energy reserve. There are various different types of power, but we will be focusing on Toa Power here. The specific powers are hard coded in to the Brain System of the Toa, and can be of the Control, Multiply, or Reaction categories, forming the basis for all Elemental powers in the MU universe. The mental link from the brain system is able to interact with a specified Program / Element, and either control or multiply that element as per the users thoughts, or produce reactions that create the basis for both real and pseudo Elements. Light is an example of a combination of a Reactionary, Multiplied, and Controlled, and therefore pseudo Element. Pseudo elements do not exist as Programs in the MU. Elemental Light is in fact very different from the general definition of light.

I am confused by this "pseudo Element" stuff. An element is an element, right?

The Protodermis molecule is capable of producing reactions that create elemental light that can then be multiplied and controlled to manifest into different Light based abilities such as lasers and light objects. Light’s sister element, Shadow, is also a pseudo element and functions in much the same way as Light. The Light based abilities of the Mask of Light (one of the few Elemental Kanohi) such as resolving conflicts are sub powers of Elemental Light and are control based abilities; they function by altering the Brain System of other beings in a minor and temporary way. When Elemental Power is exhausted, a Toa will have to wait to draw more energy in from the surroundings to fill the energy reserves. This is done on a subconscious and automatic level by a Script. A Script is a Program within another Program or System that runs in the background, providing fundamental subconscious and automatic functions.

Same dif.

The users thoughts are translated into code in real time by the system and fed to the CNS and Mental Link stream by a Script.. When the user first uses his/her powers, no code has been generated yet, and it takes a while for the code to get into a normal, consistent, and quick flow, therefore creating a learning curve. After a while, the user is easily able to control the amount of power used and is able to apply it very quickly. Advanced users of powers will also be able to subconsciously generate additional sets of code to use sub-elemental abilities. This learning curve applies to mask powers as well, but in a different way.

Makes sense.

It's an okay theory for the most part. Sadly, you have caught me in Extreme Nitpick Mode. Oh well.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

I'll reply in red. :)

Just looking over this crudely, I note that the Elemental Energy under this theory would have to be projected from the hands through the air in order to make Fire or something else a bit away from the being, to allow for story instances when this occurred. (Makuta's protocage sequence is an example.)

Since the RTE is rebelling against me, comments in green.

Components:

This seems like a contradiction to me. "Dynamic" means "subject to change", whereas "non-dynamic" (and actually opposite of Dynamic is Static :P) implies that the programming does not change. I think you meant that the GBs programmed a wide variety of programs into the protodermis molecule, but once they programmed the functions in it doesn't change? Or are you implying that certain "basic characteristics" are programmed in that don't change whereas the whole program can change?

For example, in a programming language I use, "int" is a representation of a numerical value. In any given program, I can say "int fortyTwo = 42" or "int superLongNumber= 400003578456", but that does not change what int is. Is that what you were getting at?

Java? :)

That's exactly what I was getting at. The protodermis molecule is able to be changed by outside variables, but some core characteristics are "hard wired" into it, like what kind of molecule it is; that cannot be changed. (i.e. stone molecule cannot become water molecule.)

Am I right in thinking that that a) there are connections within the mind as well, and b) that the term "mental link" is a simplification, as I think there would be multiple and discrete links to different actions, powers, etc?

The mental link can be used to send instructions to a material/element (what I call a Program), and it can carry energy to charge the Protodermis molecules, which is needed to use elemental power.

-Scripts

-Systems

-Sub-Systems

Not sure what the difference is...reading on...

A script is part of a system that makes certain key functions automatic. This actually contradicts what I said before, slightly, so I'll change it. :) An example of a sub-system would be the Mental Link System. It is a sub-system of the Brain System. (Yes, I know, confusing. I"ll have to figure out a better name for it.)

-Programs

-Sub-Program Systems

-Program Scripts

-System Scripts

Confused.

Me too. XD I am going to get rid of sub-program and program scripts. They aren't any different from system scripts, which I will now rename to just "Scripts."

Makes sense.

If each molecule contains a computer, then why does it take multiple computers to run a program? If the systems run the programs, shouldn't they be the computers, and the molecules computer components? And computer programs are never comparable to systems - systems are what run the programs. I do not understand this logic.

Systems are a computer, but the molecules are as well. You see, they need to be able to communicate with each other to form the Programs (which aren't really programs in the way you and I would think of a computer program.) The molecules aren't running the programs. They are forming together to create the Programs, which are technically computers as well. The difference between molecules, programs, and systems is that each one is the building blocks of the next, with systems being the highest level.

The last sentence confuses me too. Are you thinking the GBs coded up programs for materials/elements?

In a sense, yes. My theory is that they produced all the materials in the MU during its creation by programming the molecules to form them. I see this as one of my less plausible theories however. :)

The Protodermis molecule’s programming is dynamic. The dynamic programming is able to be altered by outside variables, which allows for true randomness and natural occurrences in the MU, as well as deviation from the rules and instructions of the Great Beings. This is what allows for free will and thought of all MU beings.

I would add that it could be altered by "inside variables" as well. For example if Mata Nui did something like raise the inside temperature of the robot a few degrees, this variable change might cause some reactions. Or if a being is feeling sad, that might affect other molecules as well, etc.

That's actually what I meant by "outside variables" but I guess either term could work.

Destiny can be evaded as well because of the ability of Protodermis molecules to deviate from the GB’s programming.

I would be careful saying this; destiny tends to correct its evasions.

True, but what I'm trying to say is that the dynamic programming is why Destiny is able to be evaded in the first place, regardless of whether that evasion is later corrected or not.

Materials such as Protosteel have relatively simple programming in comparison to systems such as the Power System. (OK) The programming is basically a set of characteristics and instructions that define different materials.(OK) The high level programming of the material is fed into the dynamic system created by the union of the Protodermis molecules by a Script to form the different materials such as Protosteel. The programming of the materials reacts to changes and variables such as heat and stress in real time, and is sent to the dynamic system by a Script in order to make the corresponding changes to the material. (i.e. extreme heat will cause metal to melt.)(OK)

Certain Programs can work in conjunction with each other to form systems.(OK) The brain of MU inhabitants is an example of one of these Systems. The Protodermis molecules of different Programs merge to create the System, which in the case of the MU brain is likely a chemical computer, though this cannot be confirmed nor denied since it is unknown if the brain of a MU being is organic, bio-mechanical, or completely mechanical. It is widely assumed that MU brains are mostly if not entirely organic, however.

Chemical processes in the real-world are rather slow. I would think some form of electric communication would be involved, especially since the Matoran need masks to stay conscious.

You're right, and I will change my theory because of this. I now think that Matoran brains are biomechanical, organic for processes that require less speed, and mechanical for processes such as the Translator Script that need to be lightning-quick.

Okay, but not sure why the brain has anything to do with teleportation. Should be a simple matter of moving a system of protodermis molecules from one place to another, right? Well, granted, the body has to be dissembled, moved, and reassembled somewhere else, but that would be a function of the teleportation power itself, not the protodermis molecule in general.

The brain is what keeps the molecules of the body "registered" as such. In other words, the brain alters the programming of all of the body's molecules, "registering" them as part of that body and not a material. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense. That's one of the more confusing parts of this theory.

Beings in the MU that possess power of any kind are able to control their powers through their Power Energy Reserve and their brain’s mental link. The brain sends both a signal and energy to the either external Protodermis molecules or Protodermis molecules in the Power Channel Exits. (Usually located in hands.) Protodermis molecules must be charged by the Energy Reserve of the user to, which is transported by the Mental Link. Powers cannot be used without the ability to charge the Protodermis molecules with the user’s energy reserve. There are various different types of power, but we will be focusing on Toa Power here. The specific powers are hard coded in to the Brain System of the Toa, and can be of the Control, Multiply, or Reaction categories, forming the basis for all Elemental powers in the MU universe. The mental link from the brain system is able to interact with a specified Program / Element, and either control or multiply that element as per the users thoughts, or produce reactions that create the basis for both real and pseudo Elements. Light is an example of a combination of a Reactionary, Multiplied, and Controlled, and therefore pseudo Element. Pseudo elements do not exist as Programs in the MU. Elemental Light is in fact very different from the general definition of light.

I am confused by this "pseudo Element" stuff. An element is an element, right?

My theory is that since elemental light doesn't exist as a programmed object in the MU, it must be created on the fly by a user of Elemental Light, therefore making it a Pseudo-Element. Before you say that there is light in the MU, my theory is that Elemental Light is different from the kind of light that comes from the sun, lightbulbs, etc.

My only problem with this theory is that things like fire also don't exist as programmed objects in the MU, so is that a Pseudo-Element as well? I'm not sure yet.

The Protodermis molecule is capable of producing reactions that create elemental light that can then be multiplied and controlled to manifest into different Light based abilities such as lasers and light objects. Light’s sister element, Shadow, is also a pseudo element and functions in much the same way as Light. The Light based abilities of the Mask of Light (one of the few Elemental Kanohi) such as resolving conflicts are sub powers of Elemental Light and are control based abilities; they function by altering the Brain System of other beings in a minor and temporary way. When Elemental Power is exhausted, a Toa will have to wait to draw more energy in from the surroundings to fill the energy reserves. This is done on a subconscious and automatic level by a Script. A Script is a Program within another Program or System that runs in the background, providing fundamental subconscious and automatic functions.

Same dif.

Sorry, not a program, but a process. My bad.

Makes sense.

Bliss.png

For the most part this appears to give a general idea of some of the basics that must be true, more so than being a theory, and I think fishers pretty well covered my reactions. I have written and plan to post along with the early-ish chapters of my Bionicle retelling a detailed theory about protodermis that gets much more into the "how" than this, and disagrees on a few points, which I'd rather save for that topic later (as they have plot significance to my story).So, I didn't have anything really to say on first read. A few things to your latest reply though:

(i.e. stone molecule cannot become water molecule.)

This is one thing I definitely disagree with that isn't spoilers to my theory. I consider the coding for material imitation to be the "impurities" that are removed (in essence; this is not quite how my theory handles it but it's how I've described it in my past cyberclay theory) when protodermis is purified. If then new elemental coding was added it could become something else like water. This would explain why protodermis becomes able to run the coding for a power when it is purified; one coding replaces the other.Also, some basic powers of transmutation should be able to simply switch existing molecules from one material element to another.I agree some programming components wouldn't change, but they would be more basic.

The molecules aren't running the programs. They are forming together to create the Programs, which are technically computers as well. The difference between molecules, programs, and systems is that each one is the building blocks of the next, with systems being the highest level.

I certainly agree that multiple molecules could and often would cooperate with others to behave as smarter computers, but IMO each molecule has to be a computer in its own right with many basics already in it. I would compare it rather to a supercomputer made up of multiple computers connected together (the molecule computers) or to the internet.One thing I've posted on here already that I think would need included in every molecule is an advanced program that analyzes two different power ingredients in a mixture and uses a predictable strategy to splice the two together and then rewrite the parts that thus end up not making sense, like a google search's "did you mean this?" program and change it to the closest power that entirely makes sense. Each molecule would need this program itself to be unchanging and very advanced, and fully onboard, not relying on internet-type physics since it is done in a liquid state (during maskmaking for example sometimes) and therefore such connections are difficult.My theory for later has some more specifics on this.

My theory is that since elemental light doesn't exist as a programmed object in the MU, it must be created on the fly by a user of Elemental Light, therefore making it a Pseudo-Element. Before you say that there is light in the MU, my theory is that Elemental Light is different from the kind of light that comes from the sun, lightbulbs, etc.My only problem with this theory is that things like fire also don't exist as programmed objects in the MU, so is that a Pseudo-Element as well? I'm not sure yet.

Still not totally sure I follow. Light is light.Are you trying to get at the difference between elements that can be made of protodermis or normal matter, like water, versus light which cannot be made of protodermis?If so, they're still elements, but non-protodermic elements, and mostly non-material elements (other than Air which is only ever real matter, Greg said, although I suppose it could contain protodermis dust or whatnot?).The distinction really doesn't matter since for example Gali can control protowater and real water the same way. The control comes from the power in her, not anything in the thing being controlled.I could probably say more, especially about how they became freewilled/fully sapient (which my proto theory doesn't cover), but I'm out of time for now. :shrugs:

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Java? :)

Yes.

The brain is what keeps the molecules of the body "registered" as such. In other words, the brain alters the programming of all of the body's molecules, "registering" them as part of that body and not a material. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense. That's one of the more confusing parts of this theory.)

That doesn't make much sense. What if I wanted to teleport a bunch of barrels or something at once? I don't think I would need to register them as one object in order to teleport them. If I had a bunch of muscles, armor pieces, etc, same idea. Further, you stated that the RS would use this registration to teleport - there's no brain activity then since the being is dead. I think there has to be a subclass of protomolecules in a pattern recognized as a "Matoran" or "Makuta" by the teleportation power, and brain makeup might be a part of that, but not the whole thing.

Edited by fishers64

Hmmmm.... Well, I'm not sure how a molecule would allow for a computer in it, unless I'm missing something. You appear to be talking nanotechnology, which I'm not entirely sure applies here. Maybe I need to brush up on this before commenting further.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Well, I'm not sure how a molecule would allow for a computer in it

This is in fact exactly what my proto theory addresses. :ziplip:

Anywho, more to the sapience thing. I think it's fairly obvious that dynamic abilities in the brains have to account for this, but I would not inherently attach this to protodermis physics per se. Sapient brains are possible without protodermis, both in real life and with the Agori/etc. so if anything the GBs would probably think that the brains being protodermis would likely make it impossible. And just being dynamic alone is not enough to explain it. (A rolling marble is technically dynamic in that it could go any direction, but not sapient!)

My guess is the GBs studied "real" brains to design the brains of the MU beings, but simply assumed that even though their design mimicked "real" ones (BTW, we don't technically know the design of the Agori brains, for that matter), it wouldn't really be full AI in the sense of having real freewill due to the programming language nature of it. I think in hindsight it should have been obvious to them they'd made fully sapient beings but were just too cautious to even imagine they might have had such a success. So, I doubt it was anything specific to protodermis that made this happen.

However, my proto theory and some other factors related to my retelling's plot could put a twist on this (I plan to leave this detail ambiguous but could comment maybe next year on what I lean toward), so I wouldn't call that absolutely sure at all. Cue another: :ziplip:

:P

Agreed with fishers that the brain alone cannot be essential in teleportation. It may help as an extra master designator safeguard system, but teleportation's choosing of how to define the edge of an object should be based entirely on the system running the teleportation, not anything in the object being teleported (except with cases like the Mask of Quick Travel where the teleporter is onboard that object and gets teleported along with it, but that's just defining self as the object, so yeah).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I was going to throw this in teleportation point: Rahi can be teleported individually, and not all of them have sapient freewilled brains. (Or much of a brain at all. :shrugs:)

So proto-brain =/= automatic sapience. There's got to be some component the GBs used that "spiraled into sapience" that the Makuta didn't have when making Rahi.

But then there's Keetongu/Tahtorak/etc, which would indicate that even that is possible. There's a certain "variable" (or set of variables) in protodermis that allows for sapient freewilled thought...or it would seem like. This theory assumes that Matoran brains are made of protodermis. Do we know that?

Well, I'm not sure how a molecule would allow for a computer in it

This is in fact exactly what my proto theory addresses. :ziplip:

Anywho, more to the sapience thing. I think it's fairly obvious that dynamic abilities in the brains have to account for this, but I would not inherently attach this to protodermis physics per se. Sapient brains are possible without protodermis, both in real life and with the Agori/etc. so if anything the GBs would probably think that the brains being protodermis would likely make it impossible. And just being dynamic alone is not enough to explain it. (A rolling marble is technically dynamic in that it could go any direction, but not sapient!)

My guess is the GBs studied "real" brains to design the brains of the MU beings, but simply assumed that even though their design mimicked "real" ones (BTW, we don't technically know the design of the Agori brains, for that matter), it wouldn't really be full AI in the sense of having real freewill due to the programming language nature of it. I think in hindsight it should have been obvious to them they'd made fully sapient beings but were just too cautious to even imagine they might have had such a success. So, I doubt it was anything specific to protodermis that made this happen.

However, my proto theory and some other factors related to my retelling's plot could put a twist on this (I plan to leave this detail ambiguous but could comment maybe next year on what I lean toward), so I wouldn't call that absolutely sure at all. Cue another: :ziplip:

:P

Agreed with fishers that the brain alone cannot be essential in teleportation. It may help as an extra master designator safeguard system, but teleportation's choosing of how to define the edge of an object should be based entirely on the system running the teleportation, not anything in the object being teleported (except with cases like the Mask of Quick Travel where the teleporter is onboard that object and gets teleported along with it, but that's just defining self as the object, so yeah).

Oh... Hm... Yeah... Still need to brush up on it.

• Upvote 1

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group