Official Proto Energy Topic

Than the Moa

The Official Proto Energy Topic

Proto Energy is BZPower's variation on the warn system that is standard on most forums. It is a merit/demerit system: a way to recognize the hard work of members and to punish those that do not follow the rules. For more information, view the Reference Desk topic on Proto Energy.

Other than purchasing Premier Membership, there is no guaranteed way to earn Proto. However, there are a few things for which people can be rewarded with a boost:

• First, you can get PE boosts if you show a truly helpful attitude.
  • Second, you can get PE boosts by sending in news reports.
  • Third, you can get PE boosts by helping the staff by reporting around the site.

Below, we'll be covering all the basics. Additionally, if you have a question about the system, feel free to post it in here.

QUESTIONS

NEW! THE NEW WARNING SYSTEM

• Why are my warning points no longer displayed?
  • I was below half Proto, and now I'm at neutral again. Why?
  • Why can't I post after my Proto level is changed?

PROTO ENERGY BASICS

• How many Proto points are there, and where does it start?
  • What is at each end of the bar?
  • Who gives the boosts?
  • Can Forum Leaders give themselves Proto?
  • How do you know if your Proto has changed?

YOUR LOSS IS NO ONE'S GAIN

• What are the ways to get your Proto lowered?
  • Can you lose PE because you accidentally revived a topic?
  • Do you lose PE for critisizing others' work?
  • Does PE, in any way, affect whether someone gets banned or suspended?
  • If you become unsuspended and lose PE again, do you become suspended again?

NEWS

• Don't we get a Proto boost for sending in news?
  • Can you go from -5 to +5 just by sending in news?

PREMIER MEMBERSHIP

• Do you get a boost for Premier Membership?
  • When you are no longer Premier, does the Proto disappear?
  • Does my PE go up if I renew my Premier Membership?
  • Isn't becoming Premier the same as buying PE?

HELPING OUT AROUND THE "HOUSE"

• Is helping someone the only way to earn PE?
  • Do you gain any Proto for reporting posts, topics, sigs, anything?
  • UPDATED Are rewards for advertising Proto and post boosts?

THINGS YOU MAY WANT TO KNOW BUT ARE AFRAID TO ASK

• Can you refer someone for a Proto Boost?
  • Could somebody make a chart on how much PE you get for certain things?
  • How are there normal members with full PE?
  • Do you need full PE to become an Moderator?

ANSWERS

NEW! THE NEW WARNING SYSTEM

Why are my warning points no longer displayed?

A recent board upgrade removed the ability for members to have negative warning points. As such, the staff had to recalibrate the numbers corresponding to the various Proto levels in order to keep the Proto system in place. So as not to confuse members with the changes, the "warning points" link is no longer displayed in profiles and elsewhere. This means, unfortunately, that members cannot access their own warn logs and history. It is recommended, therefore, that you copy the reason for any Proto changes you receive on the acknowledgement page (see below) and make note of the staff member who gave the warning so that you can contact him or her with questions.

See this topic for more information.

I was below half Proto, and now I'm at neutral again. Why?

The board upgrade mentioned above made it impossible for members to have negative warning points, which corresponded to Proto levels below half. As a result, all members below neutral Proto got reset to 0 warning points, or the neutral PE level. The Administration has decided not to go and change the PE levels of those affected; "consider it a clean slate," as Black Six said here.

Why can't I post after my Proto level is changed?

After your Proto level is changed, you must acknowledge the change. This is a feature designed to ensure that members know why they receive warnings; because your warning level is changed as a reward on BZPower, you have to acknowledge Proto boosts as well as Proto drains. You can access the acknowledgement page by clicking the reply button at the top of a topic or the button in blogs' comment boxes or through a link provided in the quick reply area.

PROTO ENERGY BASICS

How many Proto points are there, and where does it start? How can you see how much you have?

There are eleven positions (-5 to +5), and everyone starts at 0, which is in the middle.To see how much you have, go to your profile. Beneath your profile picture is the number of proto (warning) points you have. This information is also above your proto bar in topics, and beneath your username in blog comments.

Also, you use these as a reference: [ -5 | -4 | -3 | -2 | -1 | 0/Neutral PE | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 ]

What is at each end of the bar?

When it's empty, you're at risk of suspension; when it's full, you become an Outstanding BZP Citizen (OBZPC) and recieve the benefits of that group, which are a spiffy orange name, having to wait only 30 days in between name changes, and of course the pride that comes with it, and the respect of BZPower's members.

Who gives the boosts?

Administrators, Global Moderators, and Forum Leaders can boost or reduce your PE.

Can Forum Leaders give themselves Proto?

Forum Leaders are awarded with full Proto when they are promoted if they are not already full. Forum Leaders can be subject to Proto drops; however, if the Admins have a problem with their performance, they will most likely sort out the problem with the staff member without reducing his or her PE.

How do you know if your Proto has changed?

You will usually get a PM from the person who modified it, or the reason will be edited into the offending post or topic (if it was a topic-related reason). You may also choose to receive an automatic notification of Proto modifications in your notification settings. In addition, you will be unable to create new content in the forums or in the blogs until you acknowledge the change; attempting to do so will bring you to the acknowledgement page.

YOUR LOSS IS NO ONE'S GAIN

What are the ways to get your Proto lowered?

PE may be decreased for things such as (but not limited to):

Can you lose PE because you accidentally revived a topic?

Short answer: Not really. Long answer: It's up to the Forum Leader of the forum, but it's highly unlikely. As long as you aren't constantly reviving topics, you aren't likely to be punished.

Do you lose PE for criticizing others' work?

It depends. If your criticism is harsh and hurtful to the creators of art/fiction/MOC, you could very well lose PE, for it might count as flaming.On the other hand, constructive reviews that can provide useful tips and point out some aspects that need work, while also stressing the good points, are always welcome and encouraged. Consistently posting substantial and well thought-out reviews might even earn you a Proto point!

Does PE, in any way, affect whether someone gets banned or suspended?

Administrators will review losses in Proto Energy and decide if further administrative action is needed.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Forum Leaders may suspend members without removing all of their Proto Energy, if the circumstances require it. You are also suspended if you are dropped past the -5 PE limit.

If you become unsuspended and lose PE again, do you become suspended again?

If it is clear that a suspension has not changed a member's behavior, further administrative action may be taken.

NEWS

Don't we get a Proto boost for sending in news?

Not necessarily; it depends. If it does not make the front page, you do not get a boost. If it is an exclusive tip, as in something out of the ordinary, and you are listed individually as a source, you just might.

Can you go from -5 to +5 just by sending in news?

Yes, it is possible.

PREMIER MEMBERSHIP

Do you get a boost for Premier Membership?

Yes, as stated in the Reference Desk Premier Membership Topic. You actually get two points of Proto!

When you are no longer Premier, does the Proto disappear?

No, Proto only goes down as punishment. You're not being punished if your Premier Membership runs out and you don't renew, so your Proto won't be affected when the time runs out.

Does my PE go up if I renew my Premier Membership?

Yes.

However, if you are not at full Proto after a Lifetime Premier Membership purchase, you cannot receive any more from sending in an additional donation.

Isn't becoming Premier the same as buying PE?

Technically, yes. There is no arguing that. But, "buying Proto" isn't a cheap way of earning Proto, not with Premier prices these days. :P Think about it, though; you are giving your own money to BZP as a donation, which is quite the boon to the Admins. Donating money can be just as thoughtful as reporting topics.

HELPING OUT AROUND THE "HOUSE"

Is helping someone the only way to earn PE?

No, but it is a very recommended way to get PE.

Do you gain any Proto for reporting posts, topics, sigs, anything?

Yes! Sending in lots of valid reports is an excellent way to get noticed by the forum staff.

UPDATED Are rewards for advertising Proto and post boosts?

With the changes to the advertising policy, there are no longer any special awards for reporting violations.

THINGS YOU MAY WANT TO KNOW BUT ARE AFRAID TO ASK

Can you refer someone for a Proto Boost?

If you feel someone has helped out enough to be acknowledged, you can make a Forum Leader aware of it. But that doesn't mean that the member is guaranteed to receive a PE boost. Those decisions are made by the appropriate Forum staff and Admins themselves, at their discretion.

And, contrary to some rumor, these recommendations are often taken seriously. I know cases where members have been rewarded after being pointed out for a boost. Please do not abuse the system, though - we'll know if the member deserves one or not.

Could somebody make a chart on how much PE you get for certain stuff?

No, because there is no guaranteed way to gain Proto, besides purchasing Premier Membership. The Admins, Global Moderators, and Forum Leaders make these decisions on a case-by-case basis, so a chart wouldn't be possible.

(WINDY EDIT: Buy me coffee and I'll give you PE. (Not really, but please go ahead anyway.))

How are there normal members with full PE?

Their accounts need to be modified manually by the administrators; if you have full PE, or you see another member with full Proto, but they've not been upgraded to OBZPC yet, you should PM a Forum Assistant with a link to your/their profile. The account should be upgraded within a few days.

Do you need full PE to become a staff member?

Nope. It's just that once you become a staff member, your PE is automatically upped to full. And just in case you don't know how to increase your chances of becoming a staff member, please see this topic in the Reference Desk or the Official Staff Positions Topic.

--

If you have a question about the PE system, please feel free to post it in this topic, but please make sure that it has not been answered in the post above. Any question not related to Proto Energy should be searched for in the Compendium. If you cannot find your answer in there, feel free to start a new topic in this forum!

Recent Updates:

01/09/2014: Fixed formatting issues and updated info on rewards for reporting advertising.

Edited by -Windrider-

Yo.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick question. I see that Proto is rewarded for sending in news stories, making the front page, and being listed as a source. During the forum downtime, I'm sure that there were many BZPower members who sent in news reports and were listed as sources (quick example: Avohkah Tamer and ToaTonyia toa of awesome for the 10/2/11 "Life of George" news story). Will these members be rewarded for their efforts now that forums are online?

Just a quick question. I see that Proto is rewarded for sending in news stories, making the front page, and being listed as a source. During the forum downtime, I'm sure that there were many BZPower members who sent in news reports and were listed as sources (quick example: Avohkah Tamer and ToaTonyia toa of awesome for the 10/2/11 "Life of George" news story). Will these members be rewarded for their efforts now that forums are online?

No, unfortunately it would be a pile of work to go through and do that. We'd rather focus on doing more to keep improving BZPower.

Exactly how much proto does one get for purchasing premier membership? :t::b::3:

Two additional points.

NOTE: Except for the Lifetime option, BZP does not establish Premier Memberships for a period of more than twelve months. Any amount sent in excess of a one-year membership, but less than a lifetime membership, will be absorbed as an additional donation and treated as a one-year membership.

From the BZPower Premier Membership Program topic.

●Takuma Nuva●

• Upvote 1

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

• 3 weeks later...

Nope; each Premier Membership option gives you +2. If you send in $100, you will be given lifetime Premier Membership, with 2 proto points, and the extra money will be considered a donation. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

• 2 months later...

That list has actions that "may" cause someone to lose proto. In most cases (except for extreme situations), one would get a warning or explanation the first time they break a rule, or multiple times if it's something minor. Someone who doesn't just doesn't know how proto and getting boosts work wouldn't be punished.My impression is that the problems with people asking for proto were mostly in the past; in some old topics there are posts by mods about members repeatedly sending them PMs/IMs asking for proto. Something like that would cause them to lose proto. I don't think that happens as much now, but it's still possible, so it's still in the topic.

• Upvote 1

To take Ziko's second paragraph and run with it a little, I believe most of the information in this topic is from 2003, when Fussboss first posted this topic on the old boards. BZPower was quite different back then; not only was it much more active, but some members' behavior was a bit, ah, unrefined when compared to that of the current active userbase. It was still a new forum, relatively speaking. It has been nearly nine years since then, and I know I sure don't get PMs from members begging me for Proto. Perhaps the administration and other moderators are less fortunate, but I highly doubt it is a problem today, as Ziko said.I think it is worth stating that, just as there is no guaranteed way to gain Proto, there is no guaranteed way to lose Proto either, to an extent. The most extreme actions usually wind up in a ban right away without any Proto adjustment. And while it's true that excessive rule breaking does guarantee a loss of Proto if not a ban, there is no set number of transgressions defined to qualify as "excessive." Nor are the Forum Leaders and Global Moderators handed a digital pamphlet explaining in which exact circumstances we are to take Proto. Some moderators might simply shrug it off if he or she receives multiple pleas for Proto from one member; others might take action. Personally, I think a better way to state that one bullet point would be to say that asking for Proto isn't going to get you any. I think it would be sufficient for the BZPower of 2012. Back then, though, a stronger statement was needed to get the attention of the userbase.EDIT: I did a preliminary once-over to update the links and some information in the first post. As always, you know whom to PM if you have a suggestion or spot a mistake!

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but I can find anywhere else but can we embed songs from websites to add to your moc topics I would like to use Soundcloud songs on Moc pages songs but they have some problem with it and I would rather not chew up my internet with ####### so... Can we embed?

╔╗──╔═══╦═══╦══╦════╦╗─╔╗

║║──║╔══╣╔═╗╠╣╠╣╔╗╔╗║║─║║

║║──║╚══╣║─║║║║╚╝║║╚╣╚═╝║

║║─╔╣╔══╣╚═╝║║║──║║─║╔═╗║

║╚═╝║╚══╣╔═╗╠╣╠╗─║║─║║─║║

╚═══╩═══╩╝─╚╩══╝─╚╝─╚╝─╚╝

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but I can find anywhere else but can we embed songs from websites to add to your moc topics I would like to use Soundcloud songs on Moc pages songs but they have some problem with it and I would rather not chew up my internet with ####### so... Can we embed?

You can embed Vimeo videos, but not videos from any other sites. As long as it doesn't start automatically, you're fine. :)In the future, these questions would warrant their own topics, since this has nothing to do with PE.
  • Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

You can embed Vimeo videos, but not videos from any other sites. As long as it doesn't start automatically, you're fine. :)In the future, these questions would warrant their own topics, since this has nothing to do with PE.
Thats fine thanks! I would make sure everything is up to code.Also how do I make topics do I have to go through the 10 post things or something?Edit: In the future, please use the "Edit" feature instead of posting two times in a row.-Wind- Edited by -Windrider-

╔╗──╔═══╦═══╦══╦════╦╗─╔╗

║║──║╔══╣╔═╗╠╣╠╣╔╗╔╗║║─║║

║║──║╚══╣║─║║║║╚╝║║╚╣╚═╝║

║║─╔╣╔══╣╚═╝║║║──║║─║╔═╗║

║╚═╝║╚══╣╔═╗╠╣╠╗─║║─║║─║║

╚═══╩═══╩╝─╚╩══╝─╚╝─╚╝─╚╝

Also how do I make topics do I have to go through the 10 post things or something?

Hey Leaith! Welcome to BZP! Before I answer your question, I thought I'd tell you that double posting on BZP isn't allowed. It's completely all right though, this is just for future reference. Also, next time you have a question like this, instead of posting it in this topic (Official Proto Energy Topic), post it as a topic in the New Member Q&A. But as I said, this is just for future reference, so you're fine. :)Anyways, to post a topic, you have to go to the forum you want to post it in and click the button that says "Start New Topic". Here is a screenshot so you can see what it looks like:bzp_2.pngI hope this helps! Have a great stay at BZP and I hope you enjoy the forums!-RezEDIT: Also, you would have found your answer right here. Next time you have a question you want to post in the Q&A, go check out the BZP Compendium as it may answer your question. If you can't find an answer there than feel free to post the question. Also remember to check if the question has been asked recently because you might find your answer in that topic. All for future reference, however, yet again. :P Edited by -Reznas-
  • Upvote 1

I was wondering why the text "0 warning points" has appeared next to my posts above my proto bar. Everyone else's bar does not have text above it, so I am confuzzled. I understand what the whole thing means, just wondering why it suddenly appeared...this was sometime after the upgrade, by the way.

That is a result of the recent upgrade; Invision made the warning system more public. Now, every member can view his/her own warning log to see the reasons and explanations for proto adjustments (only Forum Leaders and higher staff can view other members' logs).

From this topic:"On BZPower, the number of warning points you have corresponds to the number of Proto points you have, ranging from -5 (empty PE) to 5 (full PE). In addition, I believe that only increases in PE are currently displayed in the warn log; Proto taken before the most recent board upgrade will not appear in it (though it will still be reflected in your Proto level displayed next to posts)."Also, it appears to me that your number of warning posts is only displayed to you.~ BioGioEDIT: Seriously, Ziko?

Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

With big thanks to Ziko, we now have a new section in this topic dealing with recent changes to the warning system for members. The section is one of the first in the topic, titled "The New Warning System."As always, please ask any questions you may have in this topic!

• 5 months later...
I don't know if this is the correct topic to ask in, but what does the vahi to the left of my proto bar mean?
It shows how many years you've been registered to BZPower. For future reference, you would have found your answer here, in the New Q&A Compendium.-Rez Edited by -Reznas-
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm pretty sure you only receive one set of proto boosts with Premier Membership. If you buy a second one, the two you got before are the only ones you get. -Rez
This is correct.

Oh I see.Its just I was told something different. Well I guess thats fair.

Thanks guys.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Wait what does this means than, just taken from above:

Yes. However, if you are not at full Proto after a Lifetime Premier Membership purchase, you cannot receive any more from sending in an additional donation.

Did you buy lifetime premium?

I'm back!

Yes. However, if you are not at full Proto after a Lifetime Premier Membership purchase, you cannot receive any more from sending in an additional donation.

That section should probably be updated or edited, as it lacks clarity. But as I said before, once you get a proto boost from your first Premier Membership, getting a second Membership will not get you another boost.

-Rez

That section should probably be updated or edited, as it lacks clarity. But as I said before, once you get a proto boost from your first Premier Membership, getting a second Membership will not get you another boost.

-Rez

Then this is needs to be removed to avoid misunderstanding.

I'm back!

Actually, it would be needed to be removed; because it indicates that you do indeed get more proto for a second premiership purchase if your first one expires. Which is what used to happen, though it sounds like it doesn't anymore, form the last few posts.

Actually, it would be needed to be removed; because it indicates that you do indeed get more proto for a second premiership purchase if your first one expires. Which is what used to happen, though it sounds like it doesn't anymore, form the last few posts.

Removing it altogether would confuse people as to whether or not you get proto from a second membership or if you didn't. That's why it should be clarified. Something along the lines of:

Does my PE go up if I renew (buy back) an ended Premier Membership?No. After receiving the +2 proto boost from your first Premier Membership, getting a second Membership will not give you another boost.

-Rez

Edited by -Reznas-

• 6 months later...

Hey guys. Actually funny story. Im back for the same reason as above again. I have just noticed that money went out of my account on the 8th of July this year. It was the anniversary as to when I got premier membership I guess. I didnt receive any proto. I really feel guilty actually coming forth and asking for it and I feel somewhat greedy. I only really ask because its my money that pays for it, and I feel as though its the same sort of deal if I lost access to my blog.

I feel bad but its still and issue that I would like to be resolved.

Thanks!

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

You should send a PM to Black Six to be sure. I'm not sure how often he updates PMships - it might be in batches - and I'm also unsure of how notifications for the recurring payments work. Just as an aside, it might be beneficial to turn off the automatic renewal through your PayPal, unless you wish for things to renew each year. In any case, there's a good possibility that B6 will read this topic, but you should let him know about this over PM nonetheless.

You should send a PM to Black Six to be sure. I'm not sure how often he updates PMships - it might be in batches - and I'm also unsure of how notifications for the recurring payments work. Just as an aside, it might be beneficial to turn off the automatic renewal through your PayPal, unless you wish for things to renew each year. In any case, there's a good possibility that B6 will read this topic, but you should let him know about this over PM nonetheless.

I have no problem with the automatic renewal. This will obviously be the last bit of proto I will get from prem membership but its best to keep it on automatic just so I never forget to pay XD

Its just easier if its done for me. Less chance of messing it up and its a seamless transition.