Iron Man 3. Jeez, I don't think I could ever watch it again. It was the worst comic book movie since X3: The Last Stand.
Here are the problems:
- There was no Mandarin. It was that loser Killian the whole time. There is no comic book fan who has any sort of admiration or respect for Killian. But Mandarin is a freaking awesome character, and he would have become ever MORE awesome with Ben Kingsley's amazing performance. But the Mandarin turned out to be a weirdo named Trevor. And the world wept.
- Tony blew up all his suits. Why? Is his brain broken?
- Tony got the stuff from his heart removed. Which was reported as impossible by the other two movies. That means this movie effectively killed Iron Man.
- Why does Tony have panic attacks? It's never explained.
- Where's S.H.I.E.L.D. this whole time?
- Pepper now has super powers. Now that's just ridiculous. She should join the Avengers.
-I totally agree, that completely ruined the movie for me. But remember, China helped fund this movie. Therefore, a Yellow Peril Mandarin (as in, the awesome, very Chinese Mandarin) would have severely upset their funders, and therefore, they had to be creative. And that's why it sucks.
-Supposedly so he can focus on Pepper...except every single person in this world and arguably all the other worlds know that Tony Stark is Iron Man. Regardless of the presence or lack thereof of his suits, they will try their darndest to kill him. So yes, his brain is totally busted, thanks to a certain redhead.
-Yes, this is a blatant disregard for what the other movies said. However, it is the more realistic option. There's very little medicine can't do, but the universe already established that they were irremovable. What I want to know is what they did with the gaping hole in his chest. His sternum would be in two pieces, so he'd need pretty much a new ribcage, as well as several square inches of skin. But it didn't kill Iron Man. The suits are almost entirely self-powered. The early ones may have connected to his chest reactor, but all later ones are self-sustaining. That's how they operate on their own, or on someone without a reactor.
-It's PTSD from nearly dying in New York, that's what the flashbacks make clear. He's haunted by the events of the Avengers, and he keeps having flashbacks. He feels insecure without his armor, which is an interesting throwback to one storyline I remember, where Rhodey falls in the water in a powerless War Machine, and he almost drowns. From then on, he feels completely insecure while he's IN the armor.
-That's an excellent question, I can't remember them being in the movie at all. Maybe Captain America 2 will answer that for us. But it could be that terrorism isn't SHIELD's field, just like the FDA doesn't deal with cars or buildings.
-It's clearly a throwback to Rescue, but making Tony the damsel in distress that Pepper saves was a really poor move.
In the end, Iron Man 3 neutered every single awesome character, from the Mandarin to Tony, Rhodey to Pepper...I'll rewatch it on DVD, but I doubt I'll like it any more.
...Incidentally, Iron Man 3 is a pretty flawed movie.