BZPower Status

I actually back up discussion threads if I felt the information contained was/is valuable enough. Not to creep you all out, but I have backups of all things that I consider valuable to my writing, thinking, logic, etc.

I have a long memory, myself, but sometimes having the original source information around is immensely helpful for context. I "lost" a couple of discussions that I didn't get the chance to save, but the information has already been backed up in other ways, and there's nothing to be said for it.

And really, that's the bottom line - there's nothing to say for the loss. Criticizing the staff won't bring the data back or help fix the security issues - in fact, it's demotivating because that gives the impression that the people the issues are being fixed for - us - are a bunch of whiners and complainers and bad people who aren't worth the effort and will never be satisfied. (Maybe the latter is somewhat true, but the admins don't need to feel that way. When doing something, motivation is half the battle anyway.)

Instead, it's probably better to seek positive solutions like making your own backups more frequent or extensive, or suggesting solutions to the security problems, which actually does help. :)

May I make a minor suggestion? The default "expiration" for topics is 60 days, but that is almost exactly how much data was lost, which means that the default setting leaves us with virtually nothing to see. My suggestion is to temporarily double that limit to 120 days, at least for the next two months until we've closed the gap, so to speak. Would this sound like a good idea?

I want to bump this suggestion up. 120 days might not be possible, but a temporary switch to a 90-day default setting will make the forums look more populated and encourage posting. It's a little bit of work for B6, but I think there is a benefit that would be had from this.

I've changed things to 90 days. They'll probably stay this way until the end of the month or so. At that point, the older topics would slip off anyway.

I actually back up discussion threads if I felt the information contained was/is valuable enough. Not to creep you all out, but I have backups of all things that I consider valuable to my writing, thinking, logic, etc.

I have a long memory, myself, but sometimes having the original source information around is immensely helpful for context. I "lost" a couple of discussions that I didn't get the chance to save, but the information has already been backed up in other ways, and there's nothing to be said for it.

And really, that's the bottom line - there's nothing to say for the loss. Criticizing the staff won't bring the data back or help fix the security issues - in fact, it's demotivating because that gives the impression that the people the issues are being fixed for - us - are a bunch of whiners and complainers and bad people who aren't worth the effort and will never be satisfied. (Maybe the latter is somewhat true, but the admins don't need to feel that way. When doing something, motivation is half the battle anyway.)

Instead, it's probably better to seek positive solutions like making your own backups more frequent or extensive, or suggesting solutions to the security problems, which actually does help. :)

I am officially creeped out. O_o

No, just joking. I seriously think this is the way to go, people. Back up the stuff you find really important.

Even when I was doing BZPRPG I kept copies of all my posts.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)