BZPower Status

Is it just me or has page 2 of COT disappeared...?

That's because it's been so long since most topics were posted in. At the top of the forum page, right above the pinned topics, click on "Custom" in the dark blue bar (you can see it in this picture between the "Start New topics" button and the pinned topics [credit to -Windrider-/The Compendium for the pic]). Click on the "Time Frame" menu and select "Show All" (it's probably currently at "Last 60 days"). The rest of the topics/page 2 should show up then. =]

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

This is bad news, yes, but I think some of you need to take it easy on the staff. Despite the fact that they're running BZP, they should not be held responsible for what other spiteful individuals, seeking only to do harm, might do. It is not their main priority, as much as some of you would like to think. I'm sorry, but you're using this wonderful site for free and you already take so much for granted. I understand some great losses were experienced, but we should be grateful that a backup was available and that (hopefully) this will not happen again.

All the best,

LH

pWRJY.jpg
Credit goes to Biomech for the almost 20-year-old avatar!

I am really just glad that the forums are back up, honestly. =P

I do, however, want to pose a question to the Administration. What can us non-administration members do to ensure that this doesn't happen again? The Administration already has a lot on their hands, and it would be nice if we could help out someway. I don't know, just my thoughts. I saw somebody mention a donation drive earlier, I would certainly help out with that.

Thank you, Administration, for getting BZP back so quick and for all the other work you put into this site.

Being a frequent visitor but very infrequent poster, I personally didn't lose much from this incident (only like two posts from COT). As bad as things are, they could've been a lot worse.

May I make a minor suggestion? The default "expiration" for topics is 60 days, but that is almost exactly how much data was lost, which means that the default setting leaves us with virtually nothing to see. My suggestion is to temporarily double that limit to 120 days, at least for the next two months until we've closed the gap, so to speak. Would this sound like a good idea?

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

One of the best things we can do at a time like this is support our administration, because they really doing the best they can. I can understand people are upset, but let's be frank for a moment: this is just a site. Posts are just posts. There's really no reason to get angry at the staff, because the damage done is not terribly important, for one, and they're doing the best they can, for two.

So let's all take a deep breath. Go for a walk. Clear our heads. Because if you're getting angry at the staff instead of the malicious individual who caused the downtime, then you've got your priorities mixed up. Let's take this opportunity to band together as a community, because it's the community (not the posts) that makes BZPower a great place to be.

This is the greatest post here, extremely well-said. Definitely agreed.

So...how do I get my proto back?

(apologies if this was answered before, I prefer not to sift through 2 pages of this)

Just PM Black Six (with information about what the proto was for, etc.) and he can take care of it. =]

Thanks, I felt selfish asking for it

2xu8Ptu.png

One of the best things we can do at a time like this is support our administration, because they really doing the best they can. I can understand people are upset, but let's be frank for a moment: this is just a site. Posts are just posts. There's really no reason to get angry at the staff, because the damage done is not terribly important, for one, and they're doing the best they can, for two.

So let's all take a deep breath. Go for a walk. Clear our heads. Because if you're getting angry at the staff instead of the malicious individual who caused the downtime, then you've got your priorities mixed up. Let's take this opportunity to band together as a community, because it's the community (not the posts) that makes BZPower a great place to be.

This is the greatest post here, extremely well-said. Definitely agreed.

Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpgPlus, said hacker is probably getting a kick out of everyone who's getting fussy. Let's not boost his ego, shall we? ;) Yes, more frequent backups would be lovely, but the staff is doing great so far! The site bounced back in no time at all, and we only lost two months-worth of info as opposed to a karz of a lot more like last time. Speaking of, look on the bright-side: we lost less and recovered rather quickly this time. I donno about the rest of you, but that sounds like good news to me. If that punk manages to do it again, perhaps we'll lose even less and recover virtually next-day. Baby-steps, my friends -- all good things come in time. All I can suggest is what a few others have already: Fond of a particular topic? Copy and save it somewhere. Feeling iffy about posting something here for fear of it being lost? Post it elsewhere and perhaps link to it from here. Believe me, I'm all too familiar with that moment of rage you get when you find you've lost all your work. (I lost three months-worth of artwork once because I was too absentminded to back them up.) Perhaps the next time you're out and have a few bucks on you, you could pick up an external drive specifically for BZP related stuff. :) It would help both you and the staff, because if you repost a missing topic yourself, that's X-amount of time off their shoulders that could be better spent on anything security-related.If you ask me, I think this is a good time for everyone to start developing better habits where storage and security are concerned. ;)

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I don't want to be the dude that everybody is gonna be replying "oh what a troll you are" to, but let's be honest here.

Nobody on the BIONICLE community gets paid for their sites.

Think you are the only ones in the whole world who run a site as a hobby? And still, I am able to make backups everyday. The BMP as well. We don't accept money donations, however you do. I think it is clear enough that if someone should have the motivation to make constant backups, it's you.

It's not like you are the only people who have a job, other hobbies, family or such stuff. I am disapointed by the staff in general, but especially B6. There is a goddarn 1-click-bakcup fuction in IP.Board, for crying out loud!

A backup daily is the best. A backup twice a week is good. A backup twice a month is poor. A backup once a month is pretty bad. A backup once in two months of more is unexcusable.

This is an evident, all out "I don't care anymore" kind of things.

Edited by Guurahk Entertainer

-G u u R a h K

If you ask me, I think this is a good time for everyone to start developing better habits where storage and security are concerned.

This. I've learned the hard way -repeatedly, because I'm a slow learner- that storing irreplaceable IP on an internet forum is, well, a bad idea.

And, glad to see the site back up.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

I don't want to be the dude that everybody is gonna be replying "oh what a troll you are" to, but let's be honest here.

Think you are the only ones in the whole world who run a site as a hobby? And still, I am able to make backups everyday. The BMP as well. We don't accept money donations, however you do. I think it is clear enough that if someone should have the motivation to make constant backups, it's you.

It's not like you are the only people who have a job, other hobbies, family or such stuff. I am disapointed by the staff in general, but especially B6. There is a goddarn 1-click-bakcup fuction in IP.Board, for crying out loud!

A backup daily is the best. A backup twice a week is good. A backup twice a month is poor. A backup once a month is pretty bad. A backup once in two months of more is unexcusable.

I do have to agree with this. Being a BZPower staff member means you assume responsibility for things like taking backups, and if those currently on the BZPower staff team can't fulfill that responsibility due to their other jobs, family or other implications, there needs to be someone added to the staff team who can be responsible for backups and keeping things up to date. By this I'm not saying the current BZPower staff are completely irresponsible, but that if they have such a busy schedule and have personal things getting between them and BZPower, there needs to be additions to the staff team to help lessen the workload of the current staff.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I don't mean to be hurtful, but perhaps this can be a bit of a reality check for people who put too much stock in the permanence of their online activity. Everyone's so upset about two-and-a-half months of content being lost... but really, what have you contributed in those two-and-a-half months that would still be so critically important today?I understand how this can be a bit nerve-wracking. I hate losing things, even if they can be replaced. It makes me worry that even if I replace them, I will lose them again. But aside from role-playing, I can't think of a whole lot of user-generated content you could contribute which will have a whole lot of lasting importance but which you can't keep an offline copy of.More important things are lost in more significant quantities all the time. I don't think BIONICLE and LEGO discussions are the kind of loss that's worth becoming bitter over. Like any loss or disaster, you have options: you can move on to a new place or hobby where you feel more secure, or you can stick around, pick up the pieces, and remember in the future that things aren't as permanent as you once imagined them. Neither of those decisions is something to be ashamed of. It's just how you have to respond to things you can't control. Throwing around blame doesn't help the community or any of the people in it recover.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I'm seeing a lot of frankly unnecessary vitriol aimed at the staff here, and I'd like to make a few clarifications here to set the record straight. Fundamentally, I agree with the gist of posts in the vein of Guurahk Entertainer's, although I consider his to be a bit overly critical. I, too, am frustrated that there wasn't a site backup from more recent days, but the Administration of this site is competent and I think that the lack of backups was an oversight. We've all had those moments, so let's stop fussing at them about it. They don't like it either. When it comes to the staff, there is an inequality of workload where there ideally should be equality of workload. I think that this is due to a staff size that has stayed consistent while the forum has experienced a pronounced shrinkage. There are fewer active higher-ups and they generally stay a lot more busy because all of them are adults. Lower down the totem pole, we used to have a lot more work to do, and from all accounts it was a busier job before I became a member of the staff. I have a busy personal life and to be honest, it has gotten in the way of BZP in recent semesters, but I don't have nearly as much stuff to do as the Administration does, and probably not as busy a real life either. So when they say they're busy, I believe them. If this happened again, then yes, I would definitely call it a concern because that would be an indication of the systemwide abnegation of duties that the Administration has rashly and falsely been accused of in this thread. I cannot speak for certain on this issue, but I don't think that is going to happen in the slightest.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I think we're slinging mud in all the wrong directions here. Yes, maybe some things could have been done differently, but it wouldn't have even mattered if the site hadn't been attacked.

I can understand that life can get in the way of things. And I'm someone who has more than his fair share of free time. It's also really easy to look back and say what could've been done differently, but that isn't apparent before the incident happens.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I'm sorry, I don't know about any of these other BIONICLE sites, and I'm active on 90% of all TLG-supported LEGO fansites. Maybe they are smaller, with less data and less infrastructure? I bet that's it.

I don't mean to be mean, but you're not making equal comparisons. Sure, BZP isn't what it once was, when it comes to activity (well actually it's where BZP was way way back in the day, but you know what I mean). But BZP is still the BIONICLE and constraction lines forum, and you don't know at all what the administration is up to in their spare time. As he's said, B6 spends more than 20 hours a week doing behind the scenes work on BZP. It's neat that you have the time and abilities to do quick maintenance on your site. Really, good for you! The BZP staff does not have that luxury, and B6 posted earlier explaining why.

And don't you even pretend that this is an "I don't care anymore" kind of thing. The administration pays for this site out of pocket, and if they didn't care, the site would not have come back ever. And while the big five months downtime back in 2011 wasn't fun, the whole point of it was to upgrade BZP so the experience would be better. I can tell you that Andrew cares about BZP a lot. Maybe even too much (especially when he sees posts like yours). The staff (especially the upper staff that has been staff forever now) care deeply about this site. This site might as well be home for us.

So before you start spewing anger and "nanananana angry listen to me promote myself and bash BZP", step back and remember that we do this as much for you as ourselves, because we are just as if not even more invested in BZPower as the rest of you. B6 has admitted the lack of backups was an oversight and we plan on doing so more often. I don't know if it still does, but I know one of the reasons we did them less often was because the backup slowed the server down extensively. So it was more an ease-of-use thing.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Looking at some of the posts here.

I am so glad I retired from Staff.

While I understand your frustration, you might want to consider that attacking the people who are trying their best to make this an enjoyable environment---might not be the smartest. They might get burned out and do exactly what you are accusing them of. IE: Not caring.

But aside from that listen to Pat/DeeVee because he is genius and beautiful <3

NoNoNoNoNonNO

You misunderstood me

You didn't hear what I said

You're not listening LIKE MOST AMERICANS

-Arin Hanson

Not to beat a dead horse ( :P) but some cents to add to the other replies to you.First, other Bionicle sites HAVE been hacked. I've followed a few of them, albeit not closely, but then, that's all the more evidence it has happened because if even I have heard of it, it must be pretty widely known. :POf course, then there's the fact that BZP has been far and away the most active and well-known such site, so the more likely to attract hackers. We have also been more strict about things most parents have wanted sites for kids to be strict about, which means more younger fans come here, which means those who want to bully kids are more likely to target us.We have WAY more security, actually, than the vast majority of Bionicle sites, so pretty much when someone decided to hack those sites, they would get in easily. It's just that few do that, because hackers do this stuff to get attention and so they come to the most popular one. Upsides and downsides to anything.

Think you are the only ones in the whole world who run a site as a hobby? And still, I am able to make backups everyday.

Then logic would dictate that most likely the site you're talking about must be much smaller, or you must have more money, or more free time, or some such thing. However, IF you know of a better way to backup that solves these issues that we might not be aware of, then shouldn't you suggest it positively instead of use it as a reason to attack? Perhaps the reason that you are worried about being seen as trolling is that you are making an unwise choice to go about this in a confrontational, condescending way, instead of constructive criticism and helpful suggestions. :)You could PM B6 about it directly to make sure he sees it, asking if he's aware of this option and politely asking if it would help BZP. Maybe you should. Just please do it respectfully.

We don't accept money donations, however you do.

What's the size of your database compared to ours, then? Have you considered that maybe we have to pay to keep it running because it's much bigger? Having looked into this for basic websites, though admittedly not forums, it is not that easy to have a quality site for free, if not impossible. Money exists for a reason, after all...I admit, again, this is not the stuff that I personally deal with, so I really have no idea if the admins have missed something, but in the old days at least, the backups would hog a lot of server power, so they had to be done sparingly. Perhaps that isn't as needed now and that could be reconsidered, I don't know (it has probably factored in why we are looking to do more frequent backups though...). Also, since we are less active now, less is lost from the previous backup, so it isn't as big a deal... etc. So again... why so serious? :P Barely anything was lost this time... FAR less than the last major hacking.

If we didn't care, we wouldn't be continually adjusting how things work to keep them ideal as the situation changes. We've recently extended the revival limit, for example, and there are other examples that are fairly recent. And that's just what you see on the surface of what it takes to run the site. You are dead wrong on this, believe me.

Being a BZPower staff member means you assume responsibility for things like taking backups

Just to clarify, that only works as an argument to the admins themselves. :P The rest of us have no authority over that nor the right to make those kinds of calls even if hypothetically we could do it (and if I'm understanding it right, we couldn't).(Of course, we CAN do our own backups of important things in our own jurisdictions, as I have. On that note, FTR, Greg Compendium should be back up sometime this week.)

If this happened again, then yes, I would definitely call it a concern because that would be an indication of the systemwide abnegation of duties that the Administration has rashly and falsely been accused of in this thread. I cannot speak for certain on this issue, but I don't think that is going to happen in the slightest.

I would be cautious even there, as the possibility for unforeseen methods of hacking shouldn't be underestimated. I can at least conceptually imagine ways that even the most secure measures could be overcome (but as I don't wanna give hackers any ideas I can't prove it by saying them :P). Bottom line is, don't take this stuff so seriously, or if you do, take it upon yourselves to back the stuff that matters to you up anyways.In fact, people really should do that ANYWAYS, because content is always being added to this site, and that means the cost of keeping it all online goes up over time. Many sites delete content after a certain time, or at least take it permanently offline.It's not that simple due to advances in storage size recently, but conceptually, it simply makes no sense to go around with these insecurities that some of you have exhibited about losing this content, when due to your OWN inaction the only place it's available is an ever-growing site that costs money to maintain, etc. You should always assume that whatever you post online could go away at any time. If you wanna keep something, get it on your own hard drive and your own backups.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

WOAH SNAP LOOK AT BONESY'S POST UP THERE THAT'S PRETTY TIGHT STUFF YO

thank u staff for bringing the forums back you are beautiful and I love you alllike sometimes some junk happens and you do the best to make sure it doesn't happen again and that's pretty good for a fandom four years deadfor real though we lost a few interactions and that's a little sad but the important thing is that we got to experience them with others in the first placealso everyone listen to Deevs he is great when he's angry and he's just really really handsome in general

also hi rob I love u too

Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

To those of you advising to back things up - in the case of stories and other creative projects, in which the amount of material to save is generally quite limited, this is reasonable. But what about topics? Are we supposed to copy entire pages of discussions onto on our systems because of the distant possibility that they might disappear?

From the last two months, the 'hammerspace' topic, the Legend of Mata Nui CD topic and the Bionicle Heroes topic have all been erased. And those are just the ones I posted in.

To those of you advising to back things up - in the case of stories and other creative projects, in which the amount of material to save is generally quite limited, this is reasonable. But what about topics? Are we supposed to copy entire pages of discussions onto on our systems because of the distant possibility that they might disappear?

From the last two months, the 'hammerspace' topic, the Legend of Mata Nui CD topic and the Bionicle Heroes topic have all been erased. And those are just the ones I posted in.

Whatever matters to each person. I would not save those kinds of topics, but if that's the kind of thing that by whatever strange chance some of the people posting in here get upset if they lose access to the content from them, then I guess they should. :P I presume that what's upsetting them though is creative stuff that they didn't think to save themselves... (Correct if wrong, folks. :))

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Whatever matters to each person. I would not save those kinds of topics, but if that's the kind of thing that by whatever strange chance some of the people posting in here get upset if they lose access to the content from them, then I guess they should.

Problem is that there are (or at least were) too many topics and posts for this to be feasible for the average member. Maybe there should be some kind of 'interesting discussion' archive to preserve worthy topics?

I presume that what's upsetting them though is creative stuff that they didn't think to save themselves...

I assume most people upload MoC photos to their computers before they post them online, in which case the hacking doesn't have an effect. In the case of stories, I think it'd just be common sense (and hardly difficult) for writers to store copies of their work on their own systems, rather than trusting it entirely to a server out of their control.

The only things that are definitely lost are other people's comments (which links back to the issue of lost topics).

I could take the time to carefully reply to every single post but that would be an incredible waste of time as I see that no staff member is actually seeing my point.

Just one more thing.

If B6 doesn't have the "abilities" to prevent this kind of thing (don't look at me, you said this), why doesn't he search for someone who is willing to help? I bet there is a ton of people who would want to do it.

Edited by Guurahk Entertainer

-G u u R a h K

Hm... I think this topic should probably be locked sometime soon. The staff have said what they need to say, feedback has been given from the community, and everything else just seems to be complaints now. If people have actual feedback, they could PM the staff, where their message would be more direct and understandable than among all the complaints in this thread. The opinions could be saved for profile statuses or blogs. That's just my opinion.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

The constructive criticism in this topic is appreciated. Blatant disrespect is not and will be punished.

Problem is that there are (or at least were) too many topics and posts for this to be feasible for the average member. Maybe there should be some kind of 'interesting discussion' archive to preserve worthy topics?

In the bottom left of each topic there's little icons, such as one to share a topic on Twitter. One looks like a little hard drive with a green arrow - this allows you to download a topic and its replies in their entirety to store locally on your own computer.

In the bottom left of each topic there's little icons, such as one to share a topic on Twitter. One looks like a little hard drive with a green arrow - this allows you to download a topic and its replies in their entirety to store locally on your own computer.

I just tried that myself, but it didn't appear to do anything for me. It refreshed the page with a bunch of different URL parameters stacked onto it, but no download window appeared or anything.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I just tried that myself, but it didn't appear to do anything for me. It refreshed the page with a bunch of different URL parameters stacked onto it, but no download window appeared or anything.

Same. ctrl+S will probably work though.

bBhcfWO.png

That's only going to save one page, though, so you'd have to save them all seperately.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

That's only going to save one page, though, so you'd have to save them all seperately.-Gata signoff.png

Having the same issue with the print link now that I tried it as well. If someone can, put in a tracker ticket please. I can't because I'm on mobile at the moment. Thanks!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

May I make a minor suggestion? The default "expiration" for topics is 60 days, but that is almost exactly how much data was lost, which means that the default setting leaves us with virtually nothing to see. My suggestion is to temporarily double that limit to 120 days, at least for the next two months until we've closed the gap, so to speak. Would this sound like a good idea?

I want to bump this suggestion up. 120 days might not be possible, but a temporary switch to a 90-day default setting will make the forums look more populated and encourage posting. It's a little bit of work for B6, but I think there is a benefit that would be had from this.

Whatever matters to each person. I would not save those kinds of topics, but if that's the kind of thing that by whatever strange chance some of the people posting in here get upset if they lose access to the content from them, then I guess they should.

I presume that what's upsetting them though is creative stuff that they didn't think to save themselves...

I assume most people upload MoC photos to their computers before they post them online, in which case the hacking doesn't have an effect. In the case of stories, I think it'd just be common sense (and hardly difficult) for writers to store copies of their work on their own systems, rather than trusting it entirely to a server out of their control.

The only things that are definitely lost are other people's comments (which links back to the issue of lost topics).

I think even if there were some sort of "interesting discussion" archive, we might as well just have a site-wide backup anyway; because nobody is ever going to agree on which topics/blogs/whatever are interesting enough and deserving enough to be in this archive. Stuff like that would also be inherent on board software compatible with BZP, I imagine, which might be tricky (or costly) to implement; regular ol' backups would, I think, be more efficient in terms of cost and usage.

I want to bump this suggestion up. 120 days might not be possible, but a temporary switch to a 90-day default setting will make the forums look more populated and encourage posting. It's a little bit of work for B6, but I think there is a benefit that would be had from this.

This sounds like it might be a good thing to help "reboot" discussion in certain forums.

I could take the time to carefully reply to every single post but that would be an incredible waste of time as I see that no staff member is actually seeing my point. Just one more thing. If B6 doesn't have the "abilities" to prevent this kind of thing (don't look at me, you said this), why doesn't he search for someone who is willing to help? I bet there is a ton of people who would want to do it.

No, we got your point. It was "look at how much more awesome I am than the bzp admins because I back up my small forums few have heard of up every day, and I'm sooooo angry they aren't as awesome as me! Please visit my forums."Also one of the admins working behind the scenes has been working in web design and Internet protocols longer than many here have been alive. Like has been said, you can have all the security in the world- it just takes one hole.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I could take the time to carefully reply to every single post but that would be an incredible waste of time as I see that no staff member is actually seeing my point. Just one more thing. If B6 doesn't have the "abilities" to prevent this kind of thing (don't look at me, you said this), why doesn't he search for someone who is willing to help? I bet there is a ton of people who would want to do it.

No, we got your point. It was "look at how much more awesome I am than the bzp admins because I back up my small forums few gave heard of up every day, and I'm sooooo angry they aren't as awesome as me! Please visit my forums."Also one of the admins working behind the scenes has been working in web design and Internet protocols longer than many here have been alive. Like has been said, you can have all the security in the world- it just takes one hole.

Not to detract from your point, DeeVee, but I just want to say that retaliating against other people's comments if you deem them condescending might not be the best way to go about things, as it comes off just as rude as the comment you're replying to.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I see this thread turning into a battleground for admins and GE arguing.

I see it in my crystal ball.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I agree with Ryan here, though I don't care whether it is 90 days or 120. It is a reasonable suggestion.

bBhcfWO.png

If there were much of a point to that, I'd agree. But just becuase a discussion is interesting doesn't mean it is essential to back it up. Think about it this way: if this were a real life, in-person discussion, and you didn't personally choose to record it or take notes, then it would be gone as soon as it happened. We get used to the idea of things online being permanent, but how much past discussion do we really need to look up except on rare occasions?I'm not saying having backups is silly or pointless by any means. But when things are lost, we have to remember that those discussions still happened, and that they will probably never again be as important as they were while they were still happening. Unless something is specifically being posted for posterity, its permanence (or lack thereof) is usually not a big deal.

I suppose (conceptually) a backup system that backed up hot topics even more often might be feasible. :shrugs: Maybe something to look into later. (But as we already plan to back up more often, might be unneeded.)

To GE, well, if you're not going to say anything more of any substance, then what is there to discuss? Seems to me we've covered your points pretty conclusively. We will back up more often, and more work is ALWAYS going on to improve security (but don't forget that hackers always keep trying and looking for new ways). You do come across as looking to pick a fight, rather than actually be constructive...

Yall know that in recent times there have even been some high-profile hacks of even government websites, right? This is just silly IMO, acting like we're supposed to be in effect even more secure than THOSE lol... We're just a place to talk about toys! At the same time, we do care and we do work hard, in ways you don't see, to stop these things (which BTW have been going on since even before I joined... this is nothing new).

I suppose (conceptually) a backup system that backed up hot topics even more often might be feasible. :shrugs: Maybe something to look into later. (But as we already plan to back up more often, might be unneeded.)

The script(s) I offered on the first page of this thread would back up all content on the site just as quickly. You wouldn't have to pick hot topics over others, as they'd all be contained in the same backup.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick