Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

So, the old one got deleted because of the backup, so let's start a new topic!

Title says it all, this is where you can discuss video games in general.

Anyways, the recent news around CoD: Ghosts running at 1080 on PS4 and 720 on XB1 is interesting, makes me wonder if there really is much difference between the two systems...

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 1

I am totally gonna get a PS4 controller to use on my PS3 even though I probably won't get a PS4 until Infamous.

I'm probably going to get the DS4 for my PS3, if for no other reason than to just get used to it. And considering the fact that the Dualshock 1-3 all feel exactly the same, I'm excited for something that's (even slightly) different.

So far, PS4 won't be backwards compatible. At all. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you could eventually play digital PS1/2 games within a short period after release, and then they'd likely also eventually have digital PS3 titles, too.

But, no Backwards Compatibility with discs.

Also, even if your PS3 can't play PS2 discs, it can play PS1 discs. Don't ask me why, but it does.

Also, completely unrelated to PS3, but I just remembered it: I was at Nintendo World Store in NYC last week, and I got to try out the new 2DS. Much to my surprise, it was much lighter and more comfortable than I was expecting, and the entire touch screen was easily reachable with my thumbs without taking my hands off the controls. While I have no intention of buying one, It is certainly, far, far better than I initially thought it would be.

Edited by Terminus

I recently caught my first look at the button side view of the Zelda 3DS XL I'm getting in a few weeks - if I wasn't already in love with it, I am now. I'm a sucker for the gold and black design, the sleek minimalistic triforce designs, and of course a 3DS that doesn't have black front and center around the top screen.

Plus the game is looking to be pretty sweet, too.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Steam Machines?

Anyone know anything (more than the general public) about the new Halo game coming out?

No. The next Halo title will run at 60 FPS and be part of the Halo saga (not trilogy) established by Halo 4. Very little besides this is known to anybody outside of Microsoft, even with the power of Google.

Terminus: You said that Ghosts runs at 1080 on PS4 and 720 on Xbox One - are you saying that the PS4 runs better graphics, or that the 720 on Xbox is equivalent to 1080 on the PS4?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Terminus: You said that Ghosts runs at 1080 on PS4 and 720 on Xbox One - are you saying that the PS4 runs better graphics, or that the 720 on Xbox is equivalent to 1080 on the PS4?

Ghosts runs natively at 1080 on PS4, while it natively runs at 720 on XB1 and from there can get upscaled to 1080. It kinda has me wondering about the architecture of both systems, because if they're "essentially the same", as sources say, then shouldn't XB1 be able to run Ghosts at native 1080?

What are everyone's thoughts on the Steam Machines?

Steam Machines are pretty much just custom-built PCs. I am a lot more interested in how the new controller feels in play, and how thre Steam OS is gonna look. It's tailored toweards gaming rigs and nothing else, of course, so I'm guessinit'll have dedicated interfaces for game collections, controller setups, game optimization, mod management, a media center, etc.; but not much else in the way of programs.

*pokes head in to see whether there are any other fans of RPGs around, particularly stuff like Gothic, Risen, Divinity 2 and/or Drakensang*

I got Risen as part of the Deep Silver Bundle awhile ago, but I haven't played it yet. The only RPG I've been playing recently is Dark Souls, and I've got Witchers 1 and 2 lying around also.
jlovfkk.jpg

Ghosts runs natively at 1080 on PS4, while it natively runs at 720 on XB1 and from there can get upscaled to 1080. It kinda has me wondering about the architecture of both systems, because if they're "essentially the same", as sources say, then shouldn't XB1 be able to run Ghosts at native 1080?

sources that say "essentially the same" is just microsoft doing damage control

in reality the PS4 is about 50% more powerful. the xbone can't even run battlefield without hilarious texture problems.

cry xbots, cry...

Edited by The God of War

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Well...

Not encouraging news.

At least Halo 5 and Destiny will run like dreams on Xbox One.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

And the reasoning behind Ghosts running at 720 on XB1 and 1080 on PS4 is that XB1 just can't handle Ghosts at 1080 60FPS, so it needs to be 720 60FPS. I'm kinda hoping that we get real numbers comparing the two systems soon (what am I saying, of course we will, they come out in a few weeks), because all of this vague-ish stuff is annoying.

Oh, and the Wii Mini is coming to the USA. I can see that Nintendo is really pushing the Wii U. Not like it needs it.[/sarcasm]

sources that say "essentially the same" is just microsoft doing damage control

in reality the PS4 is about 50% more powerful. the xbone can't even run battlefield without hilarious texture problems.

cry xbots, cry...

Now, I'm well aware of the fact that the PS4 is the strongest next-gen console, but I SEVERELY doubt it will be 50% more powerful than the Xbone. Heck, I doubt it's even 50% more powerful than the Wii U (which is a lot stronger than everyone credits it for being).

That said, I was planning on getting a PS4 until Sony announced that a PS+ subscription is mandatory to play games online. Guess I'm sticking to just Wii U and PC next gen. Thanks a lot, Sony.

Oi, I'm getting a PS3 before the end of the month (once I get off of my lazy but and find a decently priced used one). Which models could do PS2 and PS1? It's not a huge deal, because my PS2 works well, but I would love to just have one console I don't have to share with everyone else in my house. Also, I know that the modern incarnation of the console won't let you record footage via HDMI, but will the older ones prohibit you? My new capture card ONLY does HDMI, so I'd be in a bit of trouble if none of them allowed recording.

fine okay did some homework

PS4's GPU, the DDR5, is 50% stronger than the xbone's DDR3. that is an undisputed fact. however, there are some other things at play that help out the xbone in other ways so while PS4 has better horsepower the xbone has better gas consumption or something

@ghab: the 20GB and 60GB models were backwards compatible with PS2, but every PS3 is compatible with PS1 games.

Edited by The God of War

PS4's GPU, the DDR5, is 50% stronger than the xbone's DDR3. that is an undisputed fact. however, there are some other things at play that help out the xbone in other ways so while PS4 has better horsepower the xbone has better gas consumption or something

And then there's the Wii U, which, while the graphics may look a bit lesser at first glance, is actually rendering two images at once, and streaming one wirelessly with hardly any lag at all, which is a pretty impressive feat. Only the RAM of the Wii U sucks.

Overall, the next gen of consoles is pretty darn on par with each other.

And then there's the Wii U, which, while the graphics may look a bit lesser at first glance, is actually rendering two images at once, and streaming one wirelessly with hardly any lag at all, which is a pretty impressive feat. Only the RAM of the Wii U sucks.

Citation needed.

Even so the Wii U gpu is less powerful than the ps4.

AΨ 94

Does it truly matter how strong a console is?

no, seriously, is that all that makes a console? If that's the case, I should stop playing Metroid:Fusion because the system it's on is weak compared to the PS Vita, even though it's a fun game.

I buy consoles depending on the games. I got a Wii because I love SSBB and other games. I got an Xbox because I like Halo and Portal and my computer cannot run Portal. I have a laptop because...well, not really gaming but other stuff. I have a 3DS and GBA because there are lots of games I like on them.

Point I'm trying to make: specs=/=everything, and the quality of games>specs

If the PS4 only had shoddily made games and nothing else (Not that it will, just for examples sake), would you buy it just because it's stronger than the Xbox One? No. My opinion stands for really any console. If it has no good games, I won't buy it.

(i still need to pick up a ps2 and get Battlefront II and SotC)

Sorry if this sounded particularly angry, it's just there's more to consider to consoles than just specs. Then again, this stemmed from a multiplat release that I really don't care for, so eh.

Edited by The X

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

It's really more about software optimization that determines end-user experience. Keep in mind that we're running gorgeous games on a console cycle over six years old at this point. While sheer hardware power is always nice, the devs need to be able to properly take advantage of that for judgement to be passed.

On a sidenote, the Wii U was released a year ago, and was created by Nintendo, a company known for delivering lower-power machines but at a more fiscally responsible manufacturing price so that they don't have to draw as much from game releases. It makes sense that the PS4, a console made by Sony, known for trying its best to push the limits on console power, would have a more powerful machine.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Citation needed.

Eh, it may be, but the Wii U has the most 1080p capable games. And it renders a whole other image simultaneously.

no, seriously, is that all that makes a console? If that's the case, I should stop playing Metroid:Fusion because the system it's on is weak compared to the PS Vita, even though it's a fun game.

I buy consoles depending on the games. I got a Wii because I love SSBB and other games. I got an Xbox because I like Halo and Portal and my computer cannot run Portal. I have a laptop because...well, not really gaming but other stuff. I have a 3DS and GBA because there are lots of games I like on them.

If the PS4 only had shoddily made games and nothing else (Not that it will, just for examples sake), would you buy it just because it's stronger than the Xbox One? No. My opinion stands for really any console. If it has no good games, I won't buy it.

Sorry if this sounded particularly angry, it's just there's more to consider to consoles than just specs. Then again, this stemmed from a multiplat release that I really don't care for, so eh.

Yeah, it does kinda matter. The Wii was lacking in many 3rd party games because it was underpowered. That said, 3rd parties didn't even try on the Wii, and could have done a heck of a lot more with it (Sonic Colors has better graphics than a LOT of games I've seen on other consoles), but still. So, while power certainly isn't everything, it's important.

It's really more about software optimization that determines end-user experience. Keep in mind that we're running gorgeous games on a console cycle over six years old at this point. While sheer hardware power is always nice, the devs need to be able to properly take advantage of that for judgement to be passed.

On a sidenote, the Wii U was released a year ago, and was created by Nintendo, a company known for delivering lower-power machines but at a more fiscally responsible manufacturing price so that they don't have to draw as much from game releases. It makes sense that the PS4, a console made by Sony, known for trying its best to push the limits on console power, would have a more powerful machine.

Um....

Why does everyone think Nintendo always makes lower powered machines? Last I checked, SNES > Genesis (very slightly), N64 > PS1 (by nearly twice the power), GCN > PS2 & Xbox (very slightly again). They actually have a history of making the most powerful machines. Wii was their only lower powered machine. Wii U is technically weaker than PS4 and Xbone, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not much weaker than the PS2 was to the GCN.

Now, they HAVE always had stupid flaws holding them back. N64 had carts instead of discs, and couldn't hold that much data on the carts, so the graphics were gimped out. GCN used mini-DVDs instead of full sized ones, once again causing developers to have to cut corners to fit the data on the storage media and gimp the graphics. Wii U has 25% as much RAM as it's competition. Even if the Wii had a bit more power, it's online network still would have been an awful mess.

While admittedly they have higher power over all, the gimping bits really hurts the hardware average.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Citation needed.

Eh, it may be, but the Wii U has the most 1080p capable games. And it renders a whole other image simultaneously.

Yeah, it does kinda matter. The Wii was lacking in many 3rd party games because it was underpowered. That said, 3rd parties didn't even try on the Wii, and could have done a heck of a lot more with it (Sonic Colors has better graphics than a LOT of games I've seen on other consoles), but still. So, while power certainly isn't everything, it's important.

Citation needed on the whole rendering another image. That seems redundant when you are playing singleplayer games.

I do like how console gamers say graphics aren't everything, yet argue about the next up and coming hardware and how well it can look.

AΨ 94

PS4 is more powerful.

Please, don't say that 720p upscaled to 1080 is fine. We saw what happened with Battlefield 4 on the Xbone. It can't even handle aliasing of powerlines.

Also Halo 5 is going to be even more of a disappointment than 4.

The quality of games, as The X said, is more important than the graphics. I play Halo 2 half the time I'm on the Xbox.

And while Halo 4 wasn't very good in comparison to the other Halos, and my hopes for Halo 5 aren't that high as a result, you still can't state that the way you did unless you can see into the future.

Now, if you can, I would very much appreciate it if you warned me of any impending doom. :P

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Citation needed on the whole rendering another image. That seems redundant when you are playing singleplayer games.

I do like how console gamers say graphics aren't everything, yet argue about the next up and coming hardware and how well it can look.

The tablet has no processor of it's own. It's all done by the console. That's the second image.

Consoles nowadays are pretty much PCs with consistent hardware but less overall power. As far as I can see, there are only three things that actually make consoles what they are:- Same-device multiplayer (and thus higher party factor in casual circles)- Exclusive titles- Integration with online services such as PSN.For me, exclusives are really the only reason to even look at a console nowadays. The multiplayer games I usually play are first-person shooters and other games that usually do not have the option of multiple players using the same account.As far as the power debate goes: It matters mostly because you want the best for your money. If the games you want to play are available for XBOX, Playstation and Nintendo; you want to pick the console that gives you the mos, right? Like, Call of Duty. The Wii version of the CoD games were frankly not as good, due to hardware limittions etc. For the two other consoles, it came down to which one you liked. My friend is into the Uncharted series and is not fond of Microsoft's way of doing things. He got himself a PS3, and bought CoD mostly so that he would have a "party game" to play. My other friend went for the XBOX, as he was more keen on Halo etc. They both seem to have the same enjoyment of their consoles.Me, I played Halo 1 on PC, and didn't care enough to check out the sequels. I like some exclusives, but I would not buy a console purely because of one or two games. And when my current laptop outperforms consoles as far as graphics go, I just plug it to the TV via HDMI and then use my USB controller. My PS3 friend does the same for most of his Steam games. Steam itself can now have a console interface via Big Picture mode, even, and it has built-in chat etc. just like the console friend networks.So when Borderlands 2 runs at twice the frame rate and in full HD on my laptop-via-HDMI; and I lose no friend network connectivity or anything (and in fact, I just gain the ability to more easily link to YouTube films in chat and to install mods for some of my games) I have no reason to buy a current-gen console instead of a PC.I got the Wii, and I would probbaly get a WiiU after a while, mostly because that console does something unique from a PC: It has that whole tablet-interface controller and a lot of first-party exclusives that was part of my childhood. Anything else I can play via controller on PC and it feels about the same. Heck, then I even have the choice between mouse aim or stick aim in FPS games.

Edited by Katuko

PS4 is more powerful.

Please, don't say that 720p upscaled to 1080 is fine. We saw what happened with Battlefield 4 on the Xbone. It can't even handle aliasing of powerlines.

Also Halo 5 is going to be even more of a disappointment than 4.

The quality of games, as The X said, is more important than the graphics. I play Halo 2 half the time I'm on the Xbox.

And while Halo 4 wasn't very good in comparison to the other Halos, and my hopes for Halo 5 aren't that high as a result, you still can't state that the way you did unless you can see into the future.

Now, if you can, I would very much appreciate it if you warned me of any impending doom. :P

I agree. That's why hundreds of people still play Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC...graphics are terrible, but the game is great.

Now, I'm a dedicated Halo 4 fan...yes, I have far more hours on it than any other, but I think it's the best... finest graphics, audio, sandbox, enemies... story is no worse than the previous ones.

I really don't want this to dissolve into a flamewar of Xbox One vs. PS4, but I'm with The X, in that a console is best for what you want to play on it. For me, the PS4 is a dirty pile of banana peels in a rusted trash can because I can't play Halo on it. There's nothing that I really want there compared to the Xbox One.

In addition.... 720p to 1080p isn't a titanic difference... my TV isn't even 1080p...

Also- BF4 isn't out on the Xbox One yet... who knows if they make a last minute fix/tweak?

In addition, my dad's a programmer, so he knows this stuff. He says that if something lags/doesn't work well, 99% it is that the program is poorly designed and using computing power inefficiently, so it may not be only the Xbox One's fault. That said, PS4 is clearly more powerful.

I don't know why I even care about the power differences between PS4 and XB1... I mean, once everything gets downscaled to SD on my CRT, it all looks the same. Heck, my Wii U might even look better than PS4 and XB1 because I can play games on the Gamepad, and it has a higher resolution than my TV.

*anyways*

A combination of lack of exclusives that interest me, Live, lack of trust in Microsoft, and friends who wish they had a PS3 instead of a 360 (seriously, I don't know one person who just owns a 360 who doesn't wish they had a PS3 instead) are what's keeping me away from XB1. And, to people who know nothing about the Xbox Brand (like myself), the only exclusive I really know about is Halo, which I can play on my PC (the older ones, at least).

That said... With the way that the XB1 is being marketed now, it looks much more like a casual gamer's system than PS4, which also makes me somewhat wary.

I don't know why I even care about the power differences between PS4 and XB1... I mean, once everything gets downscaled to SD on my CRT, it all looks the same. Heck, my Wii U might even look better than PS4 and XB1 because I can play games on the Gamepad, and it has a higher resolution than my TV.

Gamepad is only 480 as well, but if I'm not mistaken, the Wii U doesn't know how to do 4:3 correctly, so I guess you'd get more resolution on your tablet since the image isn't letterboxed. It's been ages since I've actually used my Wii U on my TV.

And CRTs for life.

Gamepad is only 480 as well, but if I'm not mistaken, the Wii U doesn't know how to do 4:3 correctly, so I guess you'd get more resolution on your tablet since the image isn't letterboxed. It's been ages since I've actually used my Wii U on my TV.

And CRTs for life.

Yeah, my TV is weird in that I need to scale the screen size down a few notches for it to display properly, plus it doesn't recognize my component cable, so I can't use progressive scan. Of course, I'm using a third-party Component/RCA cable that can be used with Playstation, Xbox, and Wii, so that might change when I get an official component cable.

And of course the Wii U can't do 4:3 right, with these fancy new 16:9 HDTVs, us CRT folk are supposed to be a thing of the past. :P

And CRTs for life.

Yeah, my TV is weird in that I need to scale the screen size down a few notches for it to display properly, plus it doesn't recognize my component cable, so I can't use progressive scan. Of course, I'm using a third-party Component/RCA cable that can be used with Playstation, Xbox, and Wii, so that might change when I get an official component cable.

And of course the Wii U can't do 4:3 right, with these fancy new 16:9 HDTVs, us CRT folk are supposed to be a thing of the past. :P

I think it's like that on every non-HDMI cable for some stupid reason.

I'm sticking with a CRT until I find an HDTV that's got a 5ft screen AND sub 10ms of lag for a decent price. I don't expect it to have built in speakers that match the sound of my Pioneer, but everything else must be on par with a TV that's older than I am.

I'm pretty sure the scaling is my TV, because I need to do it with my PS3 when using component cables. And once I get an official Component cable, I'll be able to switch to the Component Cable option and use Progressive Scan, AND properly output Wii games to the Gamepad (which is the main reason I want the component cable).

a 5ft screen

whatThey make TVs that large? This is news to me.

Yeah, 60-inch TVs have been around for a while. And those aren't even the biggest, there are 90-inch TVs out there.

Edited by Terminus

The Xbox One is a less powerful system, simple as that. Like, massively. The only reason it costs a hundred bucks more is because of the Kinect they're forcing on the playerbase.

The PS4 is basically a gaming PC hidden in the shell of a Playstation.

EDIT: haha, didn't notice this got answered, should stop posting past midnight.

Also, even if your PS3 can't play PS2 discs, it can play PS1 discs. Don't ask me why, but it does.

The PS3's able to run PS1 discs because the PS1 isn't a complete and utter nightmare to emulate- basically, the PS2 has a special 'EMOTION' chip, which was included in the original models of the PS3 system at launch. But the emulation is still faulty and overly costly, which is why they dropped it from system revisions.

Same as why the PS4 has no disc-based backwards compatibility with the PS3. The CELL system architecture used for the PS3 would be difficult to emulate on the more PC-like PS4, at least at this point in time. Plus, it isn't cost effective to toss in a free PS3 in every PS4 because of the same reasons- they'd have to effectively glue in PS3 hardware to pull off backwards compatibility, raising the cost quite a bit.

Edited by Alastor MacBatman

hElbrZ6.gif

alastor got a good logical thinking head on his shoulders

so i'm doing a completionist run of infamous 2. grabbing all those blast shards, doing all them side missions. doing side missions is actually pretty addicting in this game, they're just so much more fun than in the first. i actually don't want to replay the main story anymore i'm just enjoying the side features so much

but dw i will i need that good ending and hard finish trophy

i will get one platinum yet