Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Really? REALLY? You have to swear at me through the filter and accuse me of being anti-competitive? Fine, since it was so offensive to you, let me explain myself. Sakurai and Nintendo want the games to be a party game of sorts, where any competition is friendly and having stupid stuff like the fans or Bob-ombs allowed. However, the competitive players of Smash ARE stereotyped as the 'Stop having fun guys' who look down on casual players and demand 'No items, Fox only, Final Destination'. THAT is what I mean by 'serious business'. At the end of the day, even if you legitimately enjoy playing competitively, it's still not as friendly as the 'intended gameplay' of Smash Bros., which is just run around and do as many stupid things as possible to have fun. Smash will never be more like a fighting game, I can guarantee that. Competitive players are very lucky that Sakurai even acknowledges their existence in the first place, much less implement measures to please them.

I didn't "swear to you through the filter" I actually think I said the "H" word, not the "F" word, however, BZPower's Filter makes every mild word comes out as though I'm saying the "f" word. (sorry if I don't make a big deal out of it, I say the "H" word so much I can't even imagine it being offensive"

On another note, I play my fighting games "friendly" (considering I don't care who wins) I'm unsure how "doing as many stupid things as possible" Means being more friendly but whatever, I don't know why smash being more like a standard fighting game in terms of combos and balance offends or makes you mad, but it's how every fighting game should be (which is how this game is being made). Making a game more balanced in fact should also increase the "friendly" players too, since they can't complain over something being over-powered, (Like meta-knights B attack).

What I was talking about is how people seem to hate anyone who turns off items or doesn't play on stages with hazards as if it's some sort of cardinal sin.

Likewise I hate people who try to tell people to ONLY play like that and don't seem to know what fun is.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

Just to let you know, I myself am talking from the perspective of the developers. Though to be honest, I don't want Smash Bros. to end up yet another fighting game, as the fact it's so unique is what compels me to play it. The game is a mish-mash of a fighting game, party game, and some Kirby Super Star thrown in for good measure. The game is very unique with how it handles gameplay, forgoing complex button inputs for a simple yet deep control scheme for example. I don't want to lose that. Standard fighting games used to be innovative, now they're standard. Smash is still innovative, because there's still very little like it.

The reason competitive players are so stigmatized is because they are seen as taking the game way too seriously. Because at the end of the day, you are playing a game where electric mice, swordsmen, plumbers, and pink puffballs can fight each other with no explanation why. And competitive fighting players are stereotyped in general as seeing people who play the game differently from themselves as dumb.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Just to let you know, I myself am talking from the perspective of the developers. Though to be honest, I don't want Smash Bros. to end up yet another fighting game, as the fact it's so unique is what compels me to play it. The game is a mish-mash of a fighting game, party game, and some Kirby Super Star thrown in for good measure. The game is very unique with how it handles gameplay, forgoing complex button inputs for a simple yet deep control scheme for example. I don't want to lose that. Standard fighting games used to be innovative, now they're standard. Smash is still innovative, because there's still very little like it.

The reason competitive players are so stigmatized is because they are seen as taking the game way too seriously. Because at the end of the day, you are playing a game where electric mice, swordsmen, plumbers, and pink puffballs can fight each other with no explanation why. And competitive fighting players are stereotyped in general as seeing people who play the game differently from themselves as dumb.

I agree, I like the way Smash plays, that's why I like MVC, it's not like most fighting games at all, and the game gets crazy the things you can do.

I also Agree. I do not like people who take something WAY to seriously, I mean, it's just a game. It's not like I can't play the game with items on, and I usually choose picto chat, big blue or termina bay or other absurd stages when I play Smash, so I don't consider myself a "hardcore competitive" player anyway, I just don't get the stigma from either groups.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

'Not like most fighting games at all.'

I don't see it. Let's see, in MvC, you only move left and right, jumping is in a fixed arc, specials take complex button inputs to use... Aka the things that almost any other fighter but Smash do. I've never gotten into those games, they feel so rigid and memorizing all those motions isn't enoyable for me. Smash, on the other hand, has simple to pick up controls, movement feels fluid, and it's not nearly as intimidating to play with friends. I stil, dislike highly gimmicky stages like Mushroomy Kingdom and like Battlefield, but when I play with friends, none of us get angry for losing. We just pick another stage and see who picks up the next Smash Ball and stuff. It's stupid fun, and sometimes we could use some. Meta Knight is still banned though, and New Pork City is almost never played. =P

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

'Not like most fighting games at all.'

I don't see it. Let's see, in MvC, you only move left and right,

You can move in the z-axis in smash?

jumping is in a fixed arc, specials take complex button inputs to use.

I guess I'll give you those, but in MVC, there are character with double and triple jumps, unlike in most other fighters, and superjumps, where you can change your momentum in the air.

.. Aka the things that almost any other fighter but Smash do. I've never gotten into those games, they feel so rigid and memorizing all those motions isn't enoyable for me. Smash, on the other hand, has simple to pick up controls, movement feels fluid.

Learning commands is not a hard process, especially the simplified control in mvc3. the movement in mvc is very fluid, unless you are playig as arthur, but whatever, anyone who's played MVC can tell you it is not a rigid game, the game is very flexable, which is why I compared it to smash, because for the most part, you can hit whenever or wherever you want, but it follows a lot of the rules of a typical fighting game. MVC is NOT Street fighter or King of fighters, both of those games are very ristrictive and slow, like the typical fighting game, however, when you first play the game it does feel intimdating, because the gap between knowing what you are doing and not is much larger then what it is in smash.

But I digress, I never said they were the same game, it's just that they are both looser, less restrictive fighting games with tons crazy things that can happen due to the greater freedom then other fighters allow, Heck, Most of the terms used from smash come from MVC, like wavedashing and Teching, which is why I contrasted them with games like street fighter, which are more restrictive and slow.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

I played brawl so ###### much (like 200+ hours )

You make it sound like 200 hours is a lot. I've logged over 900 into Brawl.

I didn't "swear to you through the filter" I actually think I said the "H" word, not the "F" word, however, BZPower's Filter makes every mild word comes out as though I'm saying the "f" word. (sorry if I don't make a big deal out of it, I say the "H" word so much I can't even imagine it being offensive"

The "H" word isn't even mildly offensive to most people. BZPower is just REALLY kid friendly :P

I'm seeing a bit about Marvel vs. Capcom now. Last summer, I was playing that game with friends several times a week, and I have to say that it is my favorite fighter after Smash Bros. It's got a lot in common - being much more unique than most fighters out there, and being one that can be casually played. And, much like Smash Bros., it's crazier presentation and unorthodox style hide a very deep and underestimated amount of skill when the game is taken seriously.

You make it sound like 200 hours is a lot. I've logged over 900 into Brawl.

Nah, that was just before I got to play melee, I have no idea what the number is now, probably something similier. EDIT; Just checked, it's 928:12.

I'm seeing a bit about Marvel vs. Capcom now. Last summer, I was playing that game with friends several times a week, and I have to say that it is my favorite fighter after Smash Bros. It's got a lot in common - being much more unique than most fighters out there, and being one that can be casually played. And, much like Smash Bros., it's crazier presentation and unorthodox style hide a very deep and underestimated amount of skill when the game is taken seriously.

Thanks for agreeing with me on this one, that's all I was trying to say.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

Any PS4 game recs? I've got a system waiting to be hooked up. Already got AssCreed 4.

I'm not trying to ignore a console war fanboy debate, but I am legitimately curious - How is the WiiU outselling the Xbox One when it is a worse video game platform in EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE?

It is complete outmatched in every technical specification, while next to no AAA games are on it because the processor is so weak. Yet how come it is selling more than the Xbox One?

It's cheaper and didn't attract bad rep before release; see also Playstation 4 (which built its initial E3 appearance wailing on the XBOne). The Wii U is also decently powerful in it of itself, but third party doesn't see the need to learn how to actually program for the system (so like the Wii beforehand). Most of the games that sold well on 360, such as CoD, are also on PS4 (a cheaper system) or also on Seventh Gen hardware (like CoD and Titanfall).

hElbrZ6.gif

Only PS4 game I have ATM is inFamous: Second Son, gameplay is a blast, although It's rather easy to complete pretty much everything the game has to offer in under ~20 hours or so. Worth a look if you like open-world sandbox type games, superhero games, or just want one of the easiest platinum trophies available on PS4 at the moment. Most likely not getting anything else for it until Watch Dogs comes out.

Also, how does MvC3 compare to MvC2? I didn't like MvC2 that much (It was too complicated for my tastes), although if it's simpler, I might give it a try. Always looking for another fighting game to try, I've yet to really find any fighters I like outside of the Arc System Works bubble besides Dead or Alive and Smash.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

I've been playing brawl since launch. I played brawl so ###### much (like 200+ hours ) I got sick of the game and it's complete lack of balance or even an attempt at being a coherent fighting game, made even worse by a guy who took the game way to seriously and would chain grab you with any character who had it, and played characters based on whatever the tier list was at the time) Maybe "your new is showing" since you actually think brawl has any sort of combos (jabs do not count), since, as stated before, you can cancel every single amout of hitstun with an air dodge.

->implying i was talking about brawl

Show proof that Lucario is more populor then Mewtwo, you cannot use smash 4's inclusion of lucario, because mewtwo has not been proven to be not in the game. Also explain why would gamefreak waste their time on making a movie and two mega evoloutions for a pokemon that is no longer relevent?

first off gamefreak doesnt make movies lol

second off

a1U2NeW.jpg

i cant prove something is 'more popular' without taking a poll

i can however prove that nintendo, at the very least, loves lucario:

-first pokemon to mega evolve

-one was locked away in a staff for a thousand years (debut in anime in the 8th movie)

-a pseudo-superpower in the form of aura

which is certainly more attention that nintendo has been giving greninja or even megaman in the past seven years so complaining about lucario isn't fair. i retract 'luc and mewtwo are the same' statements.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Also, how does MvC3 compare to MvC2? I didn't like MvC2 that much (It was too complicated for my tastes), although if it's simpler, I might give it a try. Always looking for another fighting game to try, I've yet to really find any fighters I like outside of the Arc System Works bubble besides Dead or Alive and Smash.

They simplified the gameplay from the way it was in MVC2, I hated how medium attacks were only doable from light attacks in MVC2, that was stupid. Now in mvc3, there are light, medium, heavy and launcher buttons and the gameplay is much better because of it, though I would've prefered the standard 6-button layout of MVC1 (But I have M.U.G.E.N. for that anyway), but it's okay, since most of the moves in mvc don't have any real purpose

oddly enough, I can't get into persona 4 arena or Blazblue, even though I like arakune or Persona in general, because I feel the games are too complicated.

first off gamefreak doesnt make movies lol

I just meant that I doubt the people who make movies would make a movie about an old pokemon if it wasen't popular.

i cant prove something is 'more popular' without taking a poll

i can however prove that nintendo, at the very least, loves lucario:

-first pokemon to mega evolve

-one was locked away in a staff for a thousand years (debut in anime in the 8th movie)

-a pseudo-superpower in the form of aura

which is certainly more attention that nintendo has been giving greninja or even megaman in the past seven years so complaining about lucario isn't fair. i retract 'luc and mewtwo are the same' statements.

Yeah, well, I like lucario too, I just don't think mewtwo isn't popular, in fact (dunno how credible it is, because it's IGN) Mewtwo was the second most populour pokemon on GN's pokemon poll, after Charizard.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

Thanks for the explanations, guys!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

They simplified the gameplay from the way it was in MVC2, I hated how medium attacks were only doable from light attacks in MVC2, that was stupid. Now in mvc3, there are light, medium, heavy and launcher buttons and the gameplay is much better because of it, though I would've prefered the standard 6-button layout of MVC1 (But I have M.U.G.E.N. for that anyway), but it's okay, since most of the moves in mvc don't do much.

oddly enough, I can't get into persona 4 arena or Blazblue, despite liking arakune or Persona in general, because I feel the games are too complicated.

Hmm, sounds like I might be able to get into it... Might give it a try sometime.

Also, I cant get into SF or MvC1/2 because I feel they're too complicated. Blazblue, P4A and ASW stuff in general has always been rather easy for me to get into. :P

Also, I cant get into SF or MvC1/2 because I feel they're too complicated. Blazblue, P4A and ASW stuff in general has always been rather easy for me to get into. :P

Street Fighter and MvC aren't really all that complicated when you understand it. Basically, they aren't easy to just pick up and play like Smash Bros., but I feel that once you do have a grasp on it, they aren't much more complex.

What are your opinions on Street Fighter? I got II: Special Champion Edition for free with my Genesis a few months ago, and I LOVE the game, way more than SSF4, which I had on 3DS and played a decent amount of on 360.

Street Fighter, Tekken and the like were never really my cuppa tea. I played the karz out of Smash Bros. Brawl a few years back, but now I've gotten bored of it. Nowadays it's mostly:

• Soul Calibur IV, V
  • Persona 4 Arena
  • Capcom versus What-Have-You
  • Blazblue series

P4A especially intrigued me, because I'd never played a puppet-fighter before at the time. Any other good ones like it, out there?

Morally unambiguous.

I have SSFIV3D (not a huge fan), and I've played a tiny bit of SF2 a while back, although not enough to form an opinion on that.

My biggest problems with it are that it feels a bit slow when compared to the other fighters I play (although that might just be my complete lack of skill) and the 6-button controls (which I hate on conventional controllers). I feel like I could get into it, if I really spent time figuring it out, although considering how I'd never do multiplayer in that anyways (I don't really know anyone who likes SF), I don't ever really feel compelled to do that.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

SF is an acronym for... what?

Street Fighter, I'd assume.

I've never really been able to get into fighting games other than SSB. I wonder what a Lego fighting game would be like? Could be interesting...

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I've never really been able to get into fighting games other than SSB. I wonder what a Lego fighting game would be like? Could be interesting...

A LEGO fighter would be pretty good, except that a new one would come out every year in the beginning, as it rose in popularity, there would be a few every year, the gameplay would quickly grow tiresome and tedious, and they would eventually ruin half the style of humor by making the characters talk...

What are y'all's opinions on the LEGO games? I loved Star Wars, especially in the Complete Saga, which I 100%ed, Indiana Jones 1 bored me to tears, Batman 1 was pretty dull, and I lost interest after that.

Street Fighter and MvC aren't really all that complicated when you understand it. Basically, they aren't easy to just pick up and play like Smash Bros., but I feel that once you do have a grasp on it, they aren't much more complex.

I once again have to agree with Ghoti on this, when I started playing fighters back in 2009, it was very hard for me to play them, but now they're pretty much the only games I play.

What are your opinions on Street Fighter? I got II: Special Champion Edition for free with my Genesis a few months ago, and I LOVE the game, way more than SSF4, which I had on 3DS and played a decent amount of on 360.

Sf3 is my favorite, due to the fluid animations and the fact that necro is in it, (my favorite Street fighter character) however, I can't get very into the game because I don't have the patience to learn it since it's very slow and the parry makes the game very hard to win at vs. someone who knows what they are doing. Other then that I play Super Street fighter 4: Arcade edition because every character from SF2 is in it so I can play as guile, and akuma, and one of my friends can play as cody and Gouken and my brother can play as bison and makoto. I guess basically it comes down to who's in which street fighter game rather then the gameplay.

Mostly though I just stick to smash bros, MVC3 and M.U.G.E.N.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

ya'll like bizarro world when it comes to video games...

What are y'all's opinions on the LEGO games? I loved Star Wars, especially in the Complete Saga, which I 100%ed, Indiana Jones 1 bored me to tears, Batman 1 was pretty dull, and I lost interest after that.

i 100%'d LSW1+2, and came pretty close in TCS but one glitched minikit kept me from it. indiana jones wasn't my favourite, but batman was absolutely the best. coolest characters, coolest powers, most diverse puzzles, and the only game that didn't have mind numbing combat (it even attempted variety)

i tried lego marvel superheroes for like a minute or two, and i had a positive (if ambiguous) impression of it

Edited by ~JC~

I've only really played the LSW games, I played 1 & 2 a lot with friends, and I had TCS on DS, although that game was so horribly buggy it eventually became unplayable. I generally enjoyed them, although I haven't really touched any Lego games on ages.

Also the only puppet fighter besides P4A I can think of is the Arcana Heart series (aka stereotypical anime girls: the game), its a pretty good fighter (made by the same people who did P4A, so it plays kinda similar), although I know lots of folks are turned away by the borderline-absurd all-female cast.

A LEGO fighter would be pretty good, except that a new one would come out every year in the beginning, as it rose in popularity, there would be a few every year, the gameplay would quickly grow tiresome and tedious, and they would eventually ruin half the style of humor by making the characters talk...

My opinions are similar, except I loved Lego Batman (even more than Lego Star Wars), especially the way it let you play the same missions from either the hero's or villain's perspective. I haven't played any since then due to a lack of an operational home console (although I could conceivably play some of them on my Mac, I think). Having watched some videos of Lego Lord of the Rings I feel I may not have given it enough credit (I too was slightly put off by the voice acting, especially that pulled directly from the movie, but I hear it's still decently funny and the gameplay looks fantastic). And Lego City: Undercover looks utterly amazing and will be an instant buy as soon as I have a Wii U to play it on.

I haven't done many of the handheld games—Lego Battles and Lego Battles Ninjago were decent, but I hated the handheld Lego Star Wars games and ended up returning The Lego Movie game for 3DS due to it failing to meet my expectations (I had hoped for the same gameplay as the console versions, if not the same graphical fidelity). I'm tentatively considering Lego Ninjago: Nindroids; I'm a huge fan of the Ninjago theme, so while the game looks like it might be somewhat limited it's hard to judge whether or not it'd be worth my time. And I haven't been able to get a read on whether Lego Friends for 3DS was any good; reviews lingered on the fact that not much building was done in the game (a tired criticism levied at most Lego games—I'll stick to real bricks and LDD for my building fix and just want a fun game, thank you very much), but descriptions of the gameplay made it sound similar to exactly what I've wanted in a My Little Pony game (not the Gameloft abomination we got, which makes even the worst of the Lego video games seem like high art).

I LOOOOOOVED LEGO Star Wars 2. Unfortunately my save corrupted when I hit 99%. I had 100% on LEGO Star Wars 1 though. LEGO Batman was fun but several glitches stopped me from completing the game. I thought the villains were cooler than the good guys though.

arkham asylum was gr8, arkham city was just more of the same with a ton more bandwagoners, arkham origins doesn't exist, but for some reason i'm really looking forward to arkham knight. like it's gonna be one of those games that people ask me what i have my ps4 for.

I really enjoyed Lego Star Wars III and actually went out and completed the whole entire game, with the help of a few guides. The other Lego games I have are either glitchy or nearly impossible to achieve 100%. I'm looking at you Island 2.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I really enjoyed Lego Star Wars III and actually went out and completed the whole entire game, with the help of a few guides. The other Lego games I have are either glitchy or nearly impossible to achieve 100%. I'm looking at you Island 2.

One of the saving graces of the Traveller's Tales Lego games is that they're extremely polished and have relatively few glitches (especially not of the game-breaking variety in some of the Lego Media games). I'd like to see them branch out to do other sorts of games as much as anyone (like a new Lego racing game, for example), but at the end of the day I'm happy with a game that is well-made and consistently fun.

Just got my PS3 today and have mainly been playing GTA Five, my PSN name is ToaDriken in case anyone cares to add me just state who you are on here in the request, also planning to get Skyrim and Borderlands 2 to start off.

Edited by Site Lurking Youkai
I'm just ToaD

Yeah, so I just got a new laptop. It can run Skyrim at decent settings, it can run Portal at max specs perfectly, and I've rigged it to work with my PS4 controller and hook up to my HDTV, so I might get into some PC gaming.

So, probably really stupid question: are there many PC games with local multiplayer (I'm guessing the answer is no)?

And, since I now have a computer that can play games... I kinda want to try Goat Simulator...

Edited by Raku Ichijo

Just got my PS3 today and have mainly been playing GTA Five, my PSN name is ToaDriken in case anyone cares to add me just state who you are on here in the request, also planning to get Skyrim and Borderlands 2 to start off.

Add me, I'm GhotiH.

Added you.

In Skyrim I had my friend inform me the iron dagger for smithing grinding doesn't work anymore, on that note I'm taking a path of heavy armors and want to use Daedric armor, what is a good way (if any) to help work on increasing smithing.

Edited by Site Lurking Youkai
I'm just ToaD

it really is best to put off smithing until mid-to-late game anyway. i know you want the cool armours as soon as possible and i know you think they'll help you out, but in reality, getting smithing up means your overall level is higher than is reflected by your combat stats which means your enemies will be high level but you'll still be hitting like a level five or six.

Yeah, so I just got a new laptop. It can run Skyrim at decent settings, it can run Portal at max specs perfectly, and I've rigged it to work with my PS4 controller and hook up to my HDTV, so I might get into some PC gaming.

But can it run Crysis?

I just got a gaming PC myself. I've modded the karz out of Skyrim and am now looking into getting Spore.

Morally unambiguous.