Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

I just remembered I have Bioshock. And I need to start it. It's one of those games I own that I've had for a while that I haven't really touched yet, I think I got about five minutes in, shut it off, and just haven't played it again. Of course, my copies of Uncharted 2&3 and The Ico &Shadow of The Collosus Collection are still in the plastic, so I've at least played more of it than those.

I really should get working on my backlog... Although I'd like to get through the games I'm playing at the moment first...

Also, I couldn't really get into Skyrim, but I really like the modding community. Even if you don't like vanilla Skyrim, you can find mods can make it appeal to pretty much anyone.

Speaking of RPGs, Fallout New vegas is a good one for (trying to) immerse yourself into the game. It's simple really, You make your appearance, answer a few questions to determine your stats, Change the results to fit the Character you want to roleplay as and done. The only thing that's set in stone is that you do courier jobs at sometimes.

On the other hand, Fallout 3 gives you little freedom in terms of believing the Character is you. A lot is set in stone like; This is where you grew up, this is your room, this is a book you played with, that's your mom and dad and things of the like.

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

Honestly, Skyrim in general is a pretty mediocre game, I feel. It's only really worth investing time into if you're new to the genre or really have an itch for a CRPG- otherwise it's just... flat, and the lore can't really save it as much as it saves the other games. I mean, yeah, Arena and Daggerfall are both very clunky and awkward games even for their day, but there was a charm to it that I feel Skyrim is seriously lacking in- I never feel truly immersed into the game's world, no matter what perspective I used. Ah well.

I agree wholeheartedly if talking about vanilla Skyrim; thankfully, mods like Interesting NPCs have redeemed the Skyrim experience for me, where else I would have dropped it after my first playthrough. The power of mods is a truly liberating thing.

Where vanilla Vampires may be pitiful things, with slap-on-the-wrist penalties and little else to make them unique, I can find a mod that makes Vampirism a truly harrowing and dangerous experience, while granting far greater personalization and development of Vampiric powers. Where vanilla NPCs may be duller than a talking animatronic, I can find a variety of NPC and follower mods that provide well-written dialogue and quests, nearly on par with the follower quests of Fallout: New Vegas. Where in vanilla, loot is abundant and merchants merciful to a fault, with economy and loot overhaul mods I can make finding a piece of Ebony armor a truly special experience, equally unlikely, but possible, be my character level 1, or 100. Where in vanilla my PC is the Usain Bolt powered by a perpetual motion machine, with mods I can make him or her truly mortal, with needs such as sleep and sustenance, and a far lower run speed and carry weight. Where vanilla Destruction consisted mostly of "Get Impact, dual cast", with some overhaul and Spell mods I can turn it into an interesting experience, where every Spell has its niche.

Unfortunately, many quest mods require that I finish vanilla quests before they become available, so in my current attempt at a playthrough I've finished slogging through the Winterhold questline so I can get to The Last Altar's quest. It's so annoying that I have little time to RP my development into someone worthy of the title Archmage, when the whole College questline (though not technically timed) screams "Hurry up before something awful happens!" to the PC at every turn.

It's a pity, though; I enjoy installing mods and making them play together nicely, but I fear that the time spent finding, researching, making, and tweaking mods is nearly neck-to-neck with time spent actually playing the game.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

i hate the 'modded skyrim so gud' argument. like its correct but its so oblivious to the fallacy that skyrim is still a pile of dirt that you put some silver on top of. like, lets be real guys modded skyrim still has awful writing, awful quests, and poor attention to detail, and generally uninspired level design. its mods might not, but skyrim itself is still awful. morrowind was a great game that was modded and look at how well that turned out. morrowind modders are still active and they were so active they made a new engine for it.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

i hate the 'modded skyrim so gud' argument. like its correct but its so oblivious to the fallacy that skyrim is still a pile of dirt that you put some silver on top of. like, lets be real guys modded skyrim still has awful writing, awful quests, and poor attention to detail, and generally uninspired level design. its mods might not, but skyrim itself is still awful. morrowind was a great game that was modded and look at how well that turned out. morrowind modders are still active and they were so active they made a new engine for it.

When I say that vanilla Skyrim is awful in comparison to the glory of modded, I do not mean that mods solve all of vanilla's problems; I mean that I have modded my game so heavily that I can ignore nearly all the vanilla quest and NPC content in favor of the better provided by mods. The only thing modding can't fix in Skyrim are the vanilla quests and NPC dialogue; though indeed a large chunk of the game, a simple alternate start mod can help a would-be avoider of vanilla weasel their way out of the MQ.

I wish no anger between us for a misunderstanding; I agree with you that a bit of silver on a pile of dirt will do no good. However, I've found so much I deem silver that anything I deem filth is well-hidden. Perhaps your justified love of Morrowind will overshadow what good there may be in Skyrim, and you would never be able to mod Skyrim into something worth your while. However, I and many others find Skyrim's world map, aesthetics, and general lore a perfectly acceptable template for our better-written mod adventures.

Speaking of RPGs, Fallout New vegas is a good one for (trying to) immerse yourself into the game. It's simple really, You make your appearance, answer a few questions to determine your stats, Change the results to fit the Character you want to roleplay as and done. The only thing that's set in stone is that you do courier jobs at sometimes.

On the other hand, Fallout 3 gives you little freedom in terms of believing the Character is you. A lot is set in stone like; This is where you grew up, this is your room, this is a book you played with, that's your mom and dad and things of the like.

I can sympathize there. My first Fallout RPG was NV. Perhaps not the best starting place for the Fallout games, but certainly better than FO3. Playing one and then the other was a jarring transition.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

When I say that vanilla Skyrim is awful in comparison to the glory of modded, I do not mean that mods solve all of vanilla's problems; I mean that I have modded my game so heavily that I can ignore nearly all the vanilla quest and NPC content in favor of the better provided by mods. The only thing modding can't fix in Skyrim are the vanilla quests and NPC dialogue; though indeed a large chunk of the game, a simple alternate start mod can help a would-be avoider of vanilla weasel their way out of the MQ.

I wish no anger between us for a misunderstanding; I agree with you that a bit of silver on a pile of dirt will do no good. However, I've found so much I deem silver that anything I deem filth is well-hidden. Perhaps your justified love of Morrowind will overshadow what good there may be in Skyrim, and you would never be able to mod Skyrim into something worth your while. However, I and many others find Skyrim's world map, aesthetics, and general lore a perfectly acceptable template for our better-written mod adventures.

Skyrim is not like an Obsidian or Trokia game, where the game itself is good, and just incredibly buggy and prone to crashing. Skyrim itself is just an incredibly bland, mediocre game- if it weren't for the name 'Elder Scrolls', it would've been forgotten about in a year or two nor would it have gotten the review scores it did. The gameplay is bland and uninteresting, level design is still unremarkable, and everything about it is still just mediocre.

It doesn't matter if I can mod in the Super Best Friends to be my party while I RP as Guts from Berserk, with Kenny Loggins blasting. The game is still, at its core, mediocre and no amount of mods- no matter how good- will fix that. Especially if you're playing the game on a console.

hElbrZ6.gif

How is PS All-Stars? I was in the beta ages ago (I jumped in a few hours before it closed) and thought it was meh, but now that it's under $20, I might consider it.

It's like Smash Bros., but half the speed, with a bunch of nobodies in the roster, very little balance, stupid AI, and really easy combos.

It's really fun to just mess around in with friends, but it's way too slow and broken to take seriously XD

Though it made me interested in Gravity Rush and MediEvil, so, much like Smash Bros., I guess it did it's job of advertising other series to me.

Yeah, it is. I'm not much of a fan of Pathfinder, but I really hope they come out with something great.

Edit: Just finished Asura's Wrath. My god, that was an experience that I loved every minute of. Just need to get the DLC and to unlock the 'hidden' episode.

Edited by Elric of Melnibone

hElbrZ6.gif

Both can work and adds more content for you to use.

If your Counterstrike is the Orignal no, no, it can not work.

Also, I don't think HL:source would work for some reason.

Edited by Pupwa21

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

Notice that Playstation's feeling the heat on these recent hax.

Hmph.

Karma?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I really doubt it's anything karmic. If anything, it probably has to do with some drama going on in the gaming community as a whole, which included the internal files for all versions of Fez (including documents relating to Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN) being released.

hElbrZ6.gif

So apparently they're DDoS attacks, which seem to only affect the service only insofar as users can't really use it, it's not a data breach or anything. And also Sony wasn't the only one affected, I know at least blizzard was also affected.

So so far nothing close to the PSN blackout of 2011 at the moment.

PSN was down earlier today.

Functionality has been restored a decent amount (as far as I can tell, PS3 is fine now, just played some Crysis 3), but some things still aren't working yet (I'm noticing this mainly on vita).

I'm kinda hoping that this means tomorrow's scheduled maintenance happened today.