Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Has there been any discussion on the "paid mods" for Skyrim yet?

I think that the 25%/75% split is way too high. The whole thing screams "moneygrab" at me.

The paid mods in general is just a bad move, for multiple reasons.

1. There's nothing stopping people from taking someone else's work that isn't on Steam, uploading it, and making money off of it. People can profit off of another's work.

2. Some mods require other mods to run. If all of the mods required cost money, you probably will end up paying more than the game depending on what mods you get.

3. The 75/25% split is insane. Plain and simple. Reverse it, and it would be fine, since this isn't the marketplace, and you aren't buying things made by Steam.

4. Mod makers are under no obligation to update their mods if the game updates. None.

5. If it goes to other games, just...look at GMod. Yeah, it won't work just because GMod exists.

tl;dr steam fix it or throw it out it won't work like this.

• Upvote 3

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

*Wall of text about Destiny incoming, probably tainted with opinion. keep scrolling if you don't care, and don't quote the whole post plz*

The biggest problem with Destiny imo is, well, the story. Now, I've only kept up with the lore on the website leading up to release, and then played through the story (but haven't purchased any of the DLC yet)...
I've read and heard that the original story was scrapped when the head writer guy left Bungie, but I don't think any definitive proof has come around for that.
But it would make sense. No matter how you look at it, the story told in the game by itself is... pretty bare. Darkness is out there, the Traveler saved humanity. A little robot recreated you, and you are a Guardian and have some light. Now you're fighting alongside some other Guardians (except not really) to push back/defeat the darkness. That's totally fine as a premise. But when the game only adds a couple macguffins to that outline?.. You can't really deny it, the ending of Destiny is just.. Abrupt? Lackluster? Can't really even put it to words, it just ends. I'd assume if I had some of the DLC it would carry on like nothing happened.

A more minor gripe, the in-level cutscenes where you talk with your lil Ghostie are a bit.. simple? The between-mission talks with various people are nice and cinematic, but the cuts to 3rd person for a couple of exchanged lines? kind of... random when it could easily be done in the first-person, or maybe should be done more like the other cutscenes to have a consistent quality to it...

From a gameplay perspective? I enjoyed the campaign's gunplay and the way abilities work in it. The variety of movement options is definitely a step up from your standard FPS of the past decade, and the constant progression of using bigger and better weapons definitely feels nice. That being said, being aware of your environment and taking things cautiously can lead to having little to no risk of death. Not that death is much of a penalty, outside of certain areas you just lose progress in the current skirmish. There are really only two or three no-respawn zones that are much trouble in the campaign, but if you keep moving around they are surmountable yet.

The enemies, however... There's a lot of different kinds of enemies, what with three or four different main "species" and each having a variety of "types" (using those terms loosely here), all in all each member of a species is defeated more or less the same, in the time-honoured tradition of shooting the weak point. That's not really much of a negative, everything feasibly has a weak point, but the encounter gameplay against almost any kind of enemy is simply shoot the weak point. Sometimes there's a big shield in the way, or an energy shield you need to DPS down first, but... all in all, despite having a large bestiary of enemies, there's not much variety in the fighting itself. Wouldn't be that much of a con if there was only, say, the Vex. The opportunity for a nice variety was present, but ultimately wasn't pursued.

The multiplayer VS works well when all the characters are of a similar level. The intent seems to be that any two players should be able to play against each other, but if the name of the game was fairness and balance, we'd be getting another Quake. Guns of equivalent rarity seem to pit well against eachother online regardless of level, but when taking into account the added skills, rare equipment, and upgrades done to said equipment of higher levels, there's not really a fair and/or easy way to level the playing field without stripping players of abilities or gear.

By itself, from the content offered by this game on it's own without DLC or research into topics, and its own presentation, I'd say the game would definitely be worth $40, could see it being $50 with the way prices have been, but... For all the hype garnered, for all the pre-orders, and for the reputation of the company developing it, I'd be lying to say that I wasn't dissappointed. What I ended up getting was less than I expected. When I installed and played the Beta, I did so expecting what I played to be a work-in-progress, to be an in-development snapshot of the game. When I was playing it, that's definitely what it felt like. But a few months later when I got the game and started it up... It was the same. The changes to the early game content, if it was there, was negligible. With the beta being just twoish months before the release, I probably should have known, but at that point, that's not a Beta. That's a Demo. Possibly a Release Candidate if you want to get technical. I noted to myself back then about some of the wonky mid-level cutscenes, thinking what all the small little thinks would be like when polished up for release. Except nothing was polished up.

I had gotten really excited when reading through the development posts, learning about the "world that would evolve from how the players interact with it", would "change on it's own in ways we couldn't forsee", like some sort of dynamic MMO universe. They were taking the enemy variety they had in Halo and started back in the Marathon days, and splitting it up into different groups of enemies that didn't like each other either. Weapons and equipment that would grow with you and your skills, keeping things relevant for a while. The blogs had a line I liked, about looking back through your gear, and it telling a story. Everything leading up to the Beta was painting a picture. A grand, ambitious picture that would be a *Blam* of a game to play. Bungie had the ideas, the ambition, and also the funding to pull it off.

What I ended up playing felt like the precursor to that, the Metroid to an intended Super Metroid. A Link to the Past compared to Ocarina of Time. The RoboRiders instead of Bionicle. Not necessarily a bad game, but not the groundbreaking amazing thing it was hyped up to be. Did I have fun playing it? For the most part, yes. Is it a bad game? In my opinion, not really. But it was underwhelming compared to what was promised to us. If Bungie had a couple more years to work on it, would it have been better? Who knows. Is it wrong for people to really like it as it is? Not at all, I think it's an okay game by itself.

In comparison to Halo and Marathon, though? From 2 onward, the Halo series has always felt almost as polished and refined as a Nintendo game, just in the quality of content and such. Give me the choice between Halo 4 and Destiny? I'd happily play Halo 4. Destiny is a game I'd definitely play if I have an internet connection, but no other games for my 360... but there are many games that I'd enjoy playing more. Halo itself is pretty flawed too, don't get me wrong, especially seeing as a lot of gameplay and story elements from the first game was borrowed from the mid-nineties Marathon trilogy and then had to be retconned or just dealt with. Destiny, on the other hand, was attempted to be built from the ground up, a new IP, in the modern setting. Bungie was banking on Destiny lasting a decade with their continued support. Seems most of the initial community dropped off after a couple months, and I don't really blame them.

TL,DR: My opinion is that Destiny isn't a bad game, but an overhyped meh game that probably hit a lot of speedbumps in development. Play something else if you like it better. :)

• Upvote 2

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

I've read and heard that the original story was scrapped when the head writer guy left Bungie, but I don't think any definitive proof has come around for that.

But it would make sense. No matter how you look at it, the story told in the game by itself is... pretty bare. Darkness is out there, the Traveler saved humanity. A little robot recreated you, and you are a Guardian and have some light. Now you're fighting alongside some other Guardians (except not really) to push back/defeat the darkness. That's totally fine as a premise. But when the game only adds a couple macguffins to that outline?.. You can't really deny it, the ending of Destiny is just.. Abrupt? Lackluster? Can't really even put it to words, it just ends. I'd assume if I had some of the DLC it would carry on like nothing happened.

this goes along with what i said about bungie a few pages ago. their writers aren't very talented. halo's story was only as good as it was because they ripped a lot of it from a sci-fi novel and only filled in gaps and extrapolated for the rest of the series.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I've read and heard that the original story was scrapped when the head writer guy left Bungie, but I don't think any definitive proof has come around for that.But it would make sense. No matter how you look at it, the story told in the game by itself is... pretty bare. Darkness is out there, the Traveler saved humanity. A little robot recreated you, and you are a Guardian and have some light. Now you're fighting alongside some other Guardians (except not really) to push back/defeat the darkness. That's totally fine as a premise. But when the game only adds a couple macguffins to that outline?.. You can't really deny it, the ending of Destiny is just.. Abrupt? Lackluster? Can't really even put it to words, it just ends. I'd assume if I had some of the DLC it would carry on like nothing happened.

this goes along with what i said about bungie a few pages ago. their writers aren't very talented. halo's story was only as good as it was because they ripped a lot of it from a sci-fi novel and only filled in gaps and extrapolated for the rest of the series.

No, just no. Don't you dare insult Halo in my presence.

• Upvote 1

Next thing you know steam is announcing a PS+/XBLG like membership where you get a rotating set of games every set period of time and exclusive hats and discounts.

And PC will still praise Gaben.

And then Mod piracy will become a thing.

And then the video game crash, I hope.

This is what happens when the industry forsakes BLAST PROCESSING.

I've read and heard that the original story was scrapped when the head writer guy left Bungie, but I don't think any definitive proof has come around for that.But it would make sense. No matter how you look at it, the story told in the game by itself is... pretty bare. Darkness is out there, the Traveler saved humanity. A little robot recreated you, and you are a Guardian and have some light. Now you're fighting alongside some other Guardians (except not really) to push back/defeat the darkness. That's totally fine as a premise. But when the game only adds a couple macguffins to that outline?.. You can't really deny it, the ending of Destiny is just.. Abrupt? Lackluster? Can't really even put it to words, it just ends. I'd assume if I had some of the DLC it would carry on like nothing happened.

But... he's right?

Halo is a mish-mash of Alien, Lovecraft, Starship Troopers, and other SF Novels? I mean, that's fine and most things are, but it's not exactly Dune.

Edited by Hodor

hElbrZ6.gif

But... he's right?

Halo is a mish-mash of Alien, Lovecraft, Starship Troopers, and other SF Novels? I mean, that's fine and most things are, but it's not exactly Dune.

You forgot Biblical references.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Next thing you know steam is announcing a PS+/XBLG like membership where you get a rotating set of games every set period of time and exclusive hats and discounts.

And PC will still praise Gaben.

And then Mod piracy will become a thing.

And then the video game crash, I hope.

This is what happens when the industry forsakes BLAST PROCESSING.

But... he's right?

Why must everything be compared to Dune?

Why must everything be compared to Dune?

I use Dune as a comparison, personally, because it's my favorite book.

It pops up so often in comparisons because it's essentially science fiction's Lord of the Rings, in both scale and influence. It has elaborate, carefully designed worlds, interesting characters, and the influence of it can be felt pretty heavily in other works. It's a go-to example of the genre.

Edited by Hodor

hElbrZ6.gif

It's kinda hard to take the plot seriously at all when the MC is a dude who wouldn't take off his power armor to shower and only talks to an AI. I found Halo 1 the most fun if only for some casual co-op other than that it really is kinda forgettable.

Edited by Hina Kagiyama
I'm just ToaD

the best part of halo's story was the covenant in halo 2, and that got canned because the fans complained that they didn't want to play as the arbiter. the arbiter was the best character by far and everyone stomped on him. makes me mad.

Edited by Archer Vonn

It's kinda hard to take the plot seriously at all when the MC is a dude who wouldn't take off his power armor to shower and only talks to an AI. I found Halo 1 the most fun if only for some casual co-op other than that it really is kinda forgettable.

You haven read the books, I take it? If you did, you wouldn't be saying this.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior
  • Upvote 1

Extra canonical material doesn't matter. If it isn't in the main product, it doesn't matter.

hElbrZ6.gif

In my experience, the authors of books based on video game franchises are seldom if ever written by the same people who do the actual game, so the point is kinda moot.

Takuma Nuva

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

Extra canonical material doesn't matter. If it isn't in the main product, it doesn't matter.
No no no no nooo. Sorry buddy, in Halo Nation that's not how it works. The Books are pivotal and choosing to flat out ignore them is see as just being stupid. It matters a lot, the books dive into halos backstory more than the game can could alone. It is no wonder no one here appreciates Halos story, your choosing to dismiss it! How could you even say something like that!? Man, it's a sad day when a gamer choses only to look at the game, rather than the story it provides.

Not to mention that Halo was a book first, Halo:the fall of reach came out a week and a half befor Halo: combat evolved did.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior

No no no no nooo. Sorry buddy, in Halo Nation that's not how it works. The Books are pivotal and choosing to flat out ignore them is see as just being stupid. It matters a lot, the books dive into halos backstory more than the game can could alone. It is no wonder no one here appreciates Halos story, your choosing to dismiss it! How could you even say something like that!? Man, it's a sad day when a gamer choses only to look at the game, rather than the story it provides.

Not to mention that Halo was a book first, Halo:the fall of reach came out a week and a half befor Halo: combat evolved did.

No, Halo was a game first. The game was created before the book. Release dates do not matter in the slightest, because that doesn't determine when the project was started.

Furthermore, when talking about the game's story? Er, yeah, it only matters what's in the game, because you're talking about only the game. I have read some of the Halo novels myself, and, like it was previously mentioned, they most certainly were not written by the same people who wrote the games. You can't say the game's story is good, and point at books.

That's not a game's story, that's a book's story.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

gamer choses only to look at the game

this is a fallacy

safe to say that the game was well underway at this point. the fall of reach was also important to provide context of the game. they might have released the book first as some sort of marketing (?) plan.

Man, it's a sad day when a gamer choses only to look at the game, rather than the story it provides.

Go play Xenoblade Chronicles, an absolutely amazing game with a great and unique story. Unless you do that, you really don't have a right to assume we only care for the game and not the story. Or play a Telltale game, another good example.

I'm just ToaD

I ignore the novels for the same reason I ignore the Star Wars novels- it isn't in the core product, so the explanation is irrelevant and only for fans. This would be like me ranting that people should pay more attention to Freddy VS Jason VS Ash because it explains a few goofy easter eggs in the Friday the 13th movies. It's a work for a fan of the franchises, and has little to no appeal to people who aren't.

Also, not caring about the book of a game makes me 'ignore the story'? What? How does that even work? I guess that means the hours I've sank into story-heavy RPGs retroactively doesn't count?

Also, by that logic? Star Wars was a novel first, since the novelization came out first and included scenes cut from the movie. Halo was in development for years before the novel was written, and as such the novel is a derivative work.

safe to say that the game was well underway at this point. the fall of reach was also important to provide context of the game. they might have released the book first as some sort of marketing (?) plan.

Halo wasn't a certain hit, and the Xbox was met with a lot of scorn during the initial hype (the brand has kinda always been the butt of everyone's joke). It was probably testing the waters to help smooth over the release of Halo and build up hype amongst military SF fans. Halo's success, and with it the Xbox brand as a whole, was kind of an accident as far I can tell.

Seriously, MS genuinely bought Rare because they thought it'd get the rights to Donkey Kong from Nintendo. I am convinced that the success of the brand is a case of Microsoft falling upwards.

Edited by Hodor

hElbrZ6.gif

I need to get a New 3DS and the Xenoblade port, I never finished it and at this point starting over from the beginning would probably be good to refresh myself on the story.

... Also, what is the big deal with Xenoblade, anyways? It was good, but I never felt it really got any more than good.

Also since people seem to be familiar with Destiny here, are Raid Matchmaking and Text Chat really not things in that game?

Hodor, are you not a halo fan then? You said the story only matters to fans, and that you don't care for the story.

And by your logic, transformers is just toys, because the hundreds of comics, books, TV shows, games, trading cards and memorabilia arnt part of the "core product". Yours is a strange logic indeed. And considering it is the exact opposite of my views, I suggest we refrain from interacting from this point on, as it will lead only to strife.

hey guys

if video games are art

how come halo needs books to be good?

ok that was a joke please don't hit me

Good books won't make the games good. You'll just have good books.

Takuma Nuva

• Upvote 1

76561198002924926.png

If The Good Lord had intended us to walk

He would not have invented roller skates.
-- Willy Wonka

Perhaps.

I was using it as an example, you don't need books to make a game good, but it adds so much more. :)

Books do not make a game good.

Books=/=Game. Game=/=Books. Saying that a book makes a game good is like saying a movie adaptation of a book makes a book good. It doesn't.

1Ydp0mg.jpg